Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
So, 24 hours after I burn my $10 Epic holiday credit to get Tetris Effect, Microsoft randomly implements VR in the Gamepass version, because I now get a "HAY YOU HAVE VR!!" popup when I start the game :psyduck:

Oh well what's $17. Also, it could, in theory, roll out of Gamepass free any time.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes this is very normal and goes away after a while

you can keep it alive with microdose LSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, your brain is actually getting rewired a little bit. It's probably not bad (and might be actually quite good!) but it's a good reason to not let little kids play for more than a short period. It goes away before too long.

I also agree to try to take breaks more often than normal gaming.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

So, 24 hours after I burn my $10 Epic holiday credit to get Tetris Effect, Microsoft randomly implements VR in the Gamepass version, because I now get a "HAY YOU HAVE VR!!" popup when I start the game :psyduck:

Oh well what's $17. Also, it could, in theory, roll out of Gamepass free any time.

I actually bought Tetris Effect for the Q2 anyway because I thought it'd be a better mobile game anyway.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

you can keep it alive with microdose LSD

Epic game store does returns so you can probably just return it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

explosivo posted:

Is it common to feel a bit dissociative after extensively using VR for the first time? I'm not going to like drive into traffic because I think I'm invincible or anything but have noticed myself doing dumb stuff like trying to grab something without moving my lower body or occasionally feel like I'm floating around when walking IRL. VR does weird poo poo to your brain.

It's wild, my hands have always felt kinda different in a way that I can't really describe, I just dunno, feel more aware of them as a thing I control rather than just kinda passively accepting that they exist?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

explosivo posted:

Is it common to feel a bit dissociative after extensively using VR for the first time? I'm not going to like drive into traffic because I think I'm invincible or anything but have noticed myself doing dumb stuff like trying to grab something without moving my lower body or occasionally feel like I'm floating around when walking IRL. VR does weird poo poo to your brain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_transfer_illusion

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm sure this has been asked before but this is a big thread. I need opinions on Pavlov vs. Onward. I recall one of them being the more popular and actively updated one?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

explosivo posted:

I find a long VR session kind of weirdly stressful and occasionally get "car sick," especially if I had to turn a lot for the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I find a long VR session kind of weirdly stressful and occasionally get "car sick," especially if I had to turn a lot for the game.

Yeah I usually cut it off around an hour or so, I should've worded my original question differently, I just meant that I've tried VR before but haven't used it every day for a week before so this is the first time I've been experiencing this. I think I did an hour and a half or two hours in Alyx the other day and felt pretty woozy for the rest of the night coming out of it. Blech.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GutBomb posted:

Shortly after the quest 2 launch I contacted oculus about one dead pixel in my rift S and they replaced it with a refurb unit (after having to fight with their first level automated support sending logs back and forth)

How do they do this, do they require you to send it in first for them to investigate and then they send you a replacement sometime later?

These things are sold out everywhere in every Walmart near me, so the option of just walking into a store and swapping it isn’t going to happen.

I’m trying to weigh the inconvenience of the RMA process against something that honestly I don’t really even notice and I would just be replacing out of principle.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
After a week (!) of back and forth with support bots a real person finally saw my ticket and sent me a shipping label to send the headset back and as soon as they saw that it was sent they sent me a new one (they said it was a refurb but it looks brand new)

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Glagha posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but this is a big thread. I need opinions on Pavlov vs. Onward. I recall one of them being the more popular and actively updated one?

I'm having way more fun playing Pavlov than Onward right now if that means anything

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I was messing around with my Quest 2 and Link in MSFS2020. I choose 'sitting experience' or whatever for the guardian but when I disconnected it from the link and took my Quest 2 downstairs, it didn't find my old guardian boundary and seems to be stuck in seated mode. If I go into the settings and try to switch it, the button makes the clicking sound but nothing happens. Clicking redraw or set floor height doesn't do anything either. Tried rebooting and powering down/up and still not working. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Clear all guardians in settings and restart.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Glagha posted:

Pavlov is definitely the more popular and frequently updated, even if Onward still has merit as a game.

E: Also if you see *~-xxXX*SUBNAUTICA*420*XXxx-~* out in the wild, be sure to wave at me.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 27, 2020

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Glagha posted:

they feel somewhat different, Pavlov is more like zooming around in call of duty, onward is a little more deliberate

Danith
May 20, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

Clear all guardians in settings and restart.

Tried that. Comes up with the warning that I'll need to set it up again, hit ok. Restart, no prompt to set up the guardian. If I go into settings it still says stationary. If I click to change it, it comes up with the selection box to choose roomscale or stationary. If I click on the roomscale button it makes the button sound but the dialog box doesn't go away :v:

I really don't want to reset the whole headset but it's looking like I may have to :|

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

explosivo posted:

I noticed myself trying to poke my phone this morning like the menu in Pokerstars lol

I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR THREE DAYS LMAO

Glad I'm not alone

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does either Truck Simulator game have VR support or a mod for it? I've seen some forum posts that seem to indicate it's natively supported but the store page for either game doesn't have it listed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have a few David moments after playing VR a lot where I wonder if this is real life.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

explosivo posted:

Does either Truck Simulator game have VR support or a mod for it? I've seen some forum posts that seem to indicate it's natively supported but the store page for either game doesn't have it listed.

ETS2 and ATS both have "beta" support for VR; you have to switch to a branch to get it, which is presumably why it isn't listed as a feature on their steam pages. A lot of things don't really work in it - the UI in particular - but it's broadly playable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NRVNQSR posted:

ETS2 and ATS both have "beta" support for VR; you have to switch to a branch to get it, which is presumably why it isn't listed as a feature on their steam pages. A lot of things don't really work in it - the UI in particular - but it's broadly playable.

Ah okay. I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up. If the UI is busted I might just wait until it's out of beta though.

Also people talk about docking windows playing videos in their game for stuff like elite dangerous, is there an app that lets you do this? ETS seems pretty perfect for just such a thing.

Edit: I just found OVR Toolkit and that sounds pretty much exactly what I want

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 27, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

explosivo posted:

Ah okay. I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up. If the UI is busted I might just wait until it's out of beta though.

Also people talk about docking windows playing videos in their game for stuff like elite dangerous, is there an app that lets you do this? ETS seems pretty perfect for just such a thing.

It’s part of the oculus software. Hit the oculus button, click on the icon that is shaped like a monitor, and you can use your desktop there. Open a browser window and you can pull it out of there. Can’t really remember what button does that, it’s muscle memory. Probably just grab. Then it will create its own floating panel. If you “pin” that window with the pin icon it will stay with you when you go back to your game. Note: it will sap some performance.

Edit: also the UI in ATS/ETS works fine in VR. It’s just the regular flat-screen ui projected onto a large flat plane in front of you, but it works.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I keep trying to catch/slap the ball with my offhand in Eleven to keep it from rolling away from the table

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

explosivo posted:

I feel confident in saying that it's never coming out of beta. As far as I know they haven't done any work on it for a long time?

Danith
May 20, 2006

Danith posted:

Tried that. Comes up with the warning that I'll need to set it up again, hit ok. Restart, no prompt to set up the guardian. If I go into settings it still says stationary. If I click to change it, it comes up with the selection box to choose roomscale or stationary. If I click on the roomscale button it makes the button sound but the dialog box doesn't go away :v:

I really don't want to reset the whole headset but it's looking like I may have to :|

God I'm an idiot. At some point I went into the dev menu and disabled the guardian. Re-enabling it has it working like normal.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

man msfs in VR is loving incredible. first time I flew up in the Canadian rockies I had a panic moment trying to unfreeze my cockpit lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Quest 2-Havers, do you power it down or just let it go to sleep on the charger?

If i let it go to sleep, will it install things I get from the oculus store while it’s sleeping? I know a normal android phone would but I’m not sure how far this strays from “normal android”

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If i let it go to sleep, will it install things I get from the oculus store while it’s sleeping? I know a normal android phone would but I’m not sure how far this strays from “normal android”

I let it sleep, and yes it will install stuff though it doesn't check as often as a phone.

I have to do a restart every once in a while as sometimes it'll not want to full wake up (but the shutdown/restart window works) or the tracking will be weird. I am not sure its done that to me since the last update though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any alternatives to VR Cover out there when it comes to replacement face parts? They're totally sold out of the leather and standard Quest 2 VR Covers, I knew I should have bought the cloth one when I checked the other day :smith:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I changed in the last weeks and now I power it down. It keeps the battery level a bit better that way, and also it should extend the battery life on the long run. And well, the boot itself is very quick so it isn't a pain in the rear end, I usually use that time to put the controller straps.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Lockback posted:

There's a sweet spot but the Q2 is reasonably generous. Do you wear glasses or anything? Are you using the included cloth strap? My guess is you might not have the headset on right try loosening the strap quite a bit and hold the headset on your face manually and kinda adjust it around to see if you can find a good fit, then set the strap.

I don’t, though I have added the glasses spacer as otherwise the headset rests uncomfortably on my (large) nose. I’m currently using the included strap (elite strap on the way).

I’ve tried holding the headset to my face to see if I can find a better/clearer position, no luck.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

pantsfree posted:

I don’t, though I have added the glasses spacer as otherwise the headset rests uncomfortably on my (large) nose. I’m currently using the included strap (elite strap on the way).

I’ve tried holding the headset to my face to see if I can find a better/clearer position, no luck.

Where the headet meets the strap can actually be rotated up and down. Try messing with that and then changing the position on your forehead to see if you can find a better position that is more comfortable/gives a better view. For me I get the best part of the sweet spot with the bottom NOT pressed against my face. Also tightness isn’t better (that’s how you get headaches). Your brain will start to ignore the nose-gap at the bottom and the light bleed that comes in that way is quite minimal.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 28, 2020

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you put it to sleep just don’t put it in a case or anything like that, it might trigger the “hey it’s a face wake up” sensor

explosivo posted:

Any alternatives to VR Cover out there when it comes to replacement face parts? They're totally sold out of the leather and standard Quest 2 VR Covers, I knew I should have bought the cloth one when I checked the other day :smith:

I got a no-name silicone cover for the standard interface off Amazon and it’s been great

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Personally I'm not worried about kids and VR. My dad was a 3d enthusiast and had me looking at polarized 3d slides on a massive projector screen all the time as a kid.

Yeah, I'm sure it changes how your brain gets wired, but have you ever watched a three year old instantly grok a new touchscreen UI? All this stuff is rewiring; our basic rule is one hour of outdoor play or drawing / reading per hour of screen time. Beyond that I'll probably let my kid VR as much as they want as soon as the helmets fit.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 28, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Personally I'm not worried about kids and VR. My dad was a 3d enthusiast and had me looking at polarized 3d slides on a massive projector screen all the time as a kid.

Yeah, I'm sure it changes how your brain gets wired, but have you ever watched a three year old instantly grok a new touchscreen UI? All this stuff is rewiring; our basic rule is one hour of outdoor play or drawing / reading per hour of screen time. Beyond that I'll probably let my kid VR as much as they want as soon as the helmets fit.

I mean, by that definition playing catch with a baseball rewires your brain. Everything you learn does. Phrasing it that way is like a scare tactic.

Touchscreen UIs are meant to be intuitive, I'm not sure that's really a "rewiring" of any dramatic nature.

VR is probably a bad idea for small children because of the eyes, otherwise though the human body and brain are both highly plastic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oof, I tried the VR beta for American Truck Simulator and after driving around for a minute or so I'm feeling real queasy. Something about the shaky framerate combined with razor sharp jaggies on everything really did a number on me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you use a usb-c cable on your quest 2’s are you supporting the cable somehow? I’m thinking of Velcroing it to the side strap maybe? I just feel like that cable moving around is putting a lot of twisting stress on the usb c port

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When you use a usb-c cable on your quest 2’s are you supporting the cable somehow? I’m thinking of Velcroing it to the side strap maybe? I just feel like that cable moving around is putting a lot of twisting stress on the usb c port

I use Velcro cable ties to route mine to the back of the headset strap for that reason but also because it’s more comfortable to have the weight of the cable behind me

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just put a doubled up hair tie so it runs off to the side. Works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Added index to order on the 19th and it'll be here on the 29th. Pretty decent vs. what I heard and expected. Their own site said 2-4 weeks, even.

Probably will pick up lenses for old man eyes soon and maybe covers but I'm the only one who will use it most likely so I'll wait and see if I think the stock ones are ok or not. Anything else worth getting ASAP? Even game suggestions would be welcome since this was sort of an impulse buy.

How is subnautica in VR?