Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fixed the core shot last night and today.

Epoxy layer to seal and bond the base.

A boat load of Ptex

Scrapped, waxed, buffed and ready to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Maaaan that last wind event left the top of the mountain looking rough. We badly need this next storm.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Fixed the core shot last night and today.

Looking good

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

^pretty much 2020 is indeed weird as poo poo

We weren't skiing on anything that could slide. The slope we dug a pit was just for a lark mostly. it is 30 degrees, concave supported, and like 100' in length. it is just a nice little spot to see what is going on. The snowpack is such garbage that we don't want to be on, near, or below anything over 30 degrees. We hardly dig pits in all honesty as I don't find them that helpful. Conditions are usually bad in Colorado soooo we just stay away from steep stuff.

I heard Bruce Tremper talk recently and he said there’s recent Swiss research showing the concave/convex thing (which he put in his books for years) is basically bunk and slope angle is all that matters. If anything concavities just mean a place for debris to build up was his take. I don’t have enough experience to doubt your own read of your terrain, but that was definitely interesting for me to hear after having the dangers of convexities emphasized so often.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Convexities are important because they indicate where the slope angle increases. Also you're more likely to find a trigger point as the terrain rolls over because that's typically an area of high tension on the slab.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I wish I could find the research paper he was referencing. The first of your points I think is a given but it seemed like it was the second one he was disputing. But without the paper or a better recall of what he said I’ll leave it there, don’t want to mischaracterize his point or inadvertently introduce any bad info here.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'd love for convexities to be safer, they seem like a lot of fun. But intuitively, with the larger amount of unsupported steep snow that can shear, it seems a lot more dangerous. Would also love to read that research, because it's very easy to mischaracterise or misinterpret results

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ought ten posted:

I heard Bruce Tremper talk recently and he said there’s recent Swiss research showing the concave/convex thing (which he put in his books for years) is basically bunk and slope angle is all that matters. If anything concavities just mean a place for debris to build up was his take. I don’t have enough experience to doubt your own read of your terrain, but that was definitely interesting for me to hear after having the dangers of convexities emphasized so often.

If you find it post it up. Very interested.

To the specific location really no danger at all. mostly the roll is a good spot to test for similar slopes as it is super tiny.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Another baby backcountry question for our resident splitboarders: do you rig up any sort of quick release for your bindings? One of the things they mentioned in my AST course as well as in the book is that telemarkers and splitboarders are at a higher risk because their gear is designed not to release like a ski binding.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm not really going to be doing any gnar when I'm in ski mode, because I am trash at skiing

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Another baby backcountry question for our resident splitboarders: do you rig up any sort of quick release for your bindings? One of the things they mentioned in my AST course as well as in the book is that telemarkers and splitboarders are at a higher risk because their gear is designed not to release like a ski binding.

One of my good friends was caught in a slide a few years ago. He was barely even able to pull the trigger on his air bag (he described it as falling down the stairs and trying to pull it). So with that kind of context i can't see how you would ever be able to reach down and pull done sort of quick release on your bindings.

It is just a risk you have to live with.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have been checking their app and it doesn't look too bad. I think if you have a pass or account you can download their app and look at lift line times. That being said the app is really buggy and crashes a lot, and they seemed to have removed a lot of the cameras that look at lift lines. I am planning a trip to Beaver Creek myself, and have been checking, and it doesn't look so bad.

Partial Octopus posted:

They lines are ok during the week. I wouldn't go on the weekend. I think the main issue is that we still don't have any snow and half of the trails are closed so everyone is kind of clumped together.

Oh duh, forgot I could check the app even though I'm not there :downs:. BC lines didn't look too bad, at least on the app! Heck, even Vail seemed almost manageable apart from the main gondolas?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did a few laps of skating today, in moist, heavy new snow. What is a good word to describe it in English? We say the snow is "kram" in Norwegian. It's the type of snow where you get the best snowballs. A bit too kram even, you could hurt somebody today with a big snowball of dense, high moisture snow.

Some slushy bits made for tricky skiing with poor technique. If my weight is too far back the ski will want to rotate inwards from a V into a snow plow. A hard base with a soft cover hides this flaw because then the ski wants to track straight. But the slippery surface forced me to push more accurately. I guess hero snow works in XC as well.

Uphill in slush was interesting. Kick too hard and the snow gave way, which also caused a bigger ridge for my tip to subsequently catch. Kick just right and evenly, and the skis actually glide pretty well because the slushy snow forms a level step, you don't have to glide edge only. Some pole baskets the size of dinner plates would be helpful though.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Oh duh, forgot I could check the app even though I'm not there :downs:. BC lines didn't look too bad, at least on the app! Heck, even Vail seemed almost manageable apart from the main gondolas?

I hit up Keystone yesterday and it wasn't as bad as it has been earlier this year. So I think with this storm coming tomorrow things should be getting better hopefully.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Is it worth calling in sick tomorrow for potential 6-12 inches at Vail?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

Is it worth calling in sick tomorrow for potential 6-12 inches at Vail?

Maybe but it is holiday week so I would wait until more terrain is open and less people will have the same idea and maybe already be off. It snowed a little bit this morning but I would be worried about the wind direction and how much it will actually snow and when.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ola posted:

Did a few laps of skating today, in moist, heavy new snow. What is a good word to describe it in English? We say the snow is "kram" in Norwegian. It's the type of snow where you get the best snowballs. A bit too kram even, you could hurt somebody today with a big snowball of dense, high moisture snow.
Sounds a bit like Sierra Cement, so called for the often high water content of snowfall in the Sierra Nevada range here in California.

Heavy and wet but also tends to come in large quantities, great at sticking to and covering jagged rocks

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ola posted:

Some slushy bits made for tricky skiing with poor technique. If my weight is too far back the ski will want to rotate inwards from a V into a snow plow. A hard base with a soft cover hides this flaw because then the ski wants to track straight. But the slippery surface forced me to push more accurately. I guess hero snow works in XC as well.

Uphill in slush was interesting. Kick too hard and the snow gave way, which also caused a bigger ridge for my tip to subsequently catch. Kick just right and evenly, and the skis actually glide pretty well because the slushy snow forms a level step, you don't have to glide edge only. Some pole baskets the size of dinner plates would be helpful though.

We call it elephant snot or cementimeters

I went cross country skiing for the first time in probably 20 years yesterday, certainly the first time as an adult. I fell on my rear end three times, but eventually got the hang of it. I ruined some tracks with my fat rear end though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
drat it. Never Summer went CRCRC with the "Triple Camber" Proto FR.

So now we have (capitalized to reflect relative amounts of rocker and camber:

Rocker Camber cRc
Ripsaw Camber CRC
Fusion Camber CRc
Shockwave Camber CrC
Traditional Camber (Hammer only) C
"Triple Camber" cRcRc

I feel like they could simplify it to fusion, shockwave and traditional.

edit:
gently caress it. I know I'm going to end up buying one for the novelty. :/ If they reduce the rocker enough the "triple camber" just becomes a modern lifted camber variant.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 28, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Go home Never Summer you’re drunk.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

If you find it post it up. Very interested.

To the specific location really no danger at all. mostly the roll is a good spot to test for similar slopes as it is super tiny.

Emailed Tremper and got the paper. It’s from 2013, older than I thought. They analyzed slope angle, curvature and roughness of 142 human-triggered avalanche starting zones. What Tremper was pointing out in the talk I heard is basically captured in Fig. 5, which shows many more avalanches occurring from flat or concave starting points than convex. But, as the authors point out, these are data from human-triggered avalanches, so this might be colored by where people are going.

https://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/ISSW13_paper_O5-05.pdf

And then finally, which goes to your point and others’, Tremper in his email wrote:

quote:

Yes, slope shape is very important for other reasons, such as consequences, how to travel in that terrain and the predictability of where the crown fracture of the slab will occur.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ought ten posted:

Emailed Tremper and got the paper. It’s from 2013, older than I thought. They analyzed slope angle, curvature and roughness of 142 human-triggered avalanche starting zones. What Tremper was pointing out in the talk I heard is basically captured in Fig. 5, which shows many more avalanches occurring from flat or concave starting points than convex. But, as the authors point out, these are data from human-triggered avalanches, so this might be colored by where people are going.

https://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/ISSW13_paper_O5-05.pdf

And then finally, which goes to your point and others’, Tremper in his email wrote:

Awesome. Thank dude.

I feel like most avalanche stuff, I don't really know anything and avoidance is the best course of action.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Awesome. Thank dude.

I feel like most avalanche stuff, I don't really know anything and avoidance is the best course of action.

Very much me too.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Ola posted:

I've got two days in so far, but we've only had skateable conditions for the past three. Conditions went from awful to actually pretty good literally overnight. Went out after dark while it was snowing last night, which makes descending the unlit trails with a headlamp very exciting.

I'm signed up for a marathon in a month so I'm going to be pretty hosed with only four weeks of on-snow prep. The event looks like it's going to be an unsupported 42k loop instead of point-to-point, pretty much just mask on, hop out of your car, get on course, mask off, suffer, mask on, get in your car, go home.

Then we're packing up and heading to Utah to work double-remote for a month, with a plan of getting some serious backcountry laps in. We'll see how it goes!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

I've got two days in so far, but we've only had skateable conditions for the past three. Conditions went from awful to actually pretty good literally overnight. Went out after dark while it was snowing last night, which makes descending the unlit trails with a headlamp very exciting.

I'm signed up for a marathon in a month so I'm going to be pretty hosed with only four weeks of on-snow prep. The event looks like it's going to be an unsupported 42k loop instead of point-to-point, pretty much just mask on, hop out of your car, get on course, mask off, suffer, mask on, get in your car, go home.

Then we're packing up and heading to Utah to work double-remote for a month, with a plan of getting some serious backcountry laps in. We'll see how it goes!

If you head through CO...lets take some BC laps.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Yuns posted:

drat it. Never Summer went CRCRC with the "Triple Camber" Proto FR.

So now we have (capitalized to reflect relative amounts of rocker and camber:

Rocker Camber cRc
Ripsaw Camber CRC
Fusion Camber CRc
Shockwave Camber CrC
Traditional Camber (Hammer only) C
"Triple Camber" cRcRc

I feel like they could simplify it to fusion, shockwave and traditional.

edit:
gently caress it. I know I'm going to end up buying one for the novelty. :/ If they reduce the rocker enough the "triple camber" just becomes a modern lifted camber variant.

So it’s the opposite of flying v, which imo is just exaggerated rocker. How’s it supposed to ride?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Macnult posted:

So it’s the opposite of flying v, which imo is just exaggerated rocker. How’s it supposed to ride?
Not a clue aside from marketing material. I've ridden pretty much every camber profile and couldn't even give you a good guess. They claim aggressive freeride board with a lot of power out of turns yet still have good powder float. But that's the marketing. I'll probably have to get one to test it.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

If you head through CO...lets take some BC laps.

That’s the route! Let’s do it.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJW6vLKMlxr/?igshid=i59fltwa91bj

Nice to see a happy ending on this one. Stay safe out there goons.

Hard to see with the low res insta pictures but looks like they may have triggered it riding over that convexity by the trees? Or it may have just been shallower in that spot, the avalanche forecast says there's a couple weak layers 50-120cm deep in the area.

Edit: more details in the forecast report. It was a snowmobiler that triggered it, 60cm down:

quote:

A large (size 2.5) avalanche was triggered on Monday by a snowmobiler on Rainbow mountain in alpine terrain, which resulted in a full burial and, thankfully, a successful rescue. The avalanche failed on a layer 60 cm deep. At this time the nature of the failure plane is unknown, but it is reasonable to assume it failed on one of the two weak layers discussed in the snowpack section. This avalanche points to the ongoing potential to trigger persistent weak layers in the snowpack.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 29, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJW6vLKMlxr/?igshid=i59fltwa91bj

Nice to see a happy ending on this one. Stay safe out there goons.

Hard to see with the low res insta pictures but looks like they may have triggered it riding over that convexity by the trees? Or it may have just been shallower in that spot, the avalanche forecast says there's a couple weak layers 50-120cm deep in the area.

Edit: more details in the forecast report. It was a snowmobiler that triggered it, 60cm down:

One of my biggest takeaways from the IG post: Conditions today were moderate, it is so important to make your own observations just because the forecast says it may be stable, you never really know.

I have seen this a lot lately. People need to go back and read what Moderate actually means (it doesn't mean it is stable).

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Of course it's a sledder.

highme
May 25, 2001

I interpreted the IG post to say they were filming a sled accessed jump. Could have been a member of the film crew and not some slednecks.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

spwrozek posted:

One of my biggest takeaways from the IG post: Conditions today were moderate, it is so important to make your own observations just because the forecast says it may be stable, you never really know.

I have seen this a lot lately. People need to go back and read what Moderate actually means (it doesn't mean it is stable).

Yeah, we can look at what the forecast said for that day as well:

Avalanche Problem 1: Storm Slab posted:

On Monday, storm slabs will likely remain most reactive in wind loaded lees such as below ridge crests and roll overs. New snow may become increasingly sensitive to triggering when touched by the sun for the first time. Watch for loose dry point releases in steep south facing terrain.

Avalanche Problem 2: Persistent Slab posted:

A couple problematic layers may be found around 50 to 120 cm deep, including weak layers of surface hoar and faceted grains above a hard melt-freeze crust. There remains potential for storm slab avalanches to step down to these layers, resulting in large and destructive avalanches.

Looking at the pictures again, it looks like it kicked off above the trees just below that top ridge on a roll over. Hard to tell if that slope is wind loaded but the forecast was definitely not calling conditions "stable".

highme posted:

I interpreted the IG post to say they were filming a sled accessed jump. Could have been a member of the film crew and not some slednecks.

"another crew" suggests there were a couple groups out there filming. The other people Sean mentions are pro athletes as well.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Hit up Vail today. Conditions were pretty fantastic besides the low visibility.

First time I got to ride my Capita Black Snowboard of Death in any kind of powder. I can't get over how good this board feels. It's by far the best board I've ever ridden. I've never had so much confidence on a snowboard before. It's super playful in powder and very aggressive on groomers. The base is the fastest base I've come across on a board before. It's also incredibly stable and catch free. The carves feel super locked in and their "death grip" edge worked incredibly well on ice. I can't recommend it enough. Definitely demo one if you get the chance, or just buy one.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Rolling in here with another newbie question: how often should I wax my snowboard? Is it based on hours ridden or just straight time (or some combo)? The things I've read about it seem to talk in terms of snowboarding trips, but since I'm new, my actual time on the snow has been sporadic. I'm guessing err on the side of caution and just do it every few trips, regardless of time on the slopes? It's an extruded base if that matters.

Btw thanks to everyone for my gear assembly questions - finally took a lesson Christmas morning (fantastic time to go and learn - great powder with active snowfall at Meadows and it wasn't crowded at all; main lot was only about 3\4 full when I left a little after noon) and things are starting to click. Feels so great when I nail a turn!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

marjorie posted:

Rolling in here with another newbie question: how often should I wax my snowboard? Is it based on hours ridden or just straight time (or some combo)? The things I've read about it seem to talk in terms of snowboarding trips, but since I'm new, my actual time on the snow has been sporadic. I'm guessing err on the side of caution and just do it every few trips, regardless of time on the slopes? It's an extruded base if that matters.

Btw thanks to everyone for my gear assembly questions - finally took a lesson Christmas morning (fantastic time to go and learn - great powder with active snowfall at Meadows and it wasn't crowded at all; main lot was only about 3\4 full when I left a little after noon) and things are starting to click. Feels so great when I nail a turn!

If it starts to feel slow, wax it. Also you can generally tell by looking at a base. If it starts to look faded and the colors aren't very vibrant, it needs wax. Some bases are thirstier than others.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Partial Octopus posted:

If it starts to feel slow, wax it. Also you can generally tell by looking at a base. If it starts to look faded and the colors aren't very vibrant, it needs wax. Some bases are thirstier than others.

Perfect, thanks!

highme
May 25, 2001

marjorie posted:

Extruded bases lose wax faster than sintered, but in all honesty you won't notice much of a difference if you're only waxing 1 or 2 times during the actual cold part of the winter here. Once spring rolls around and things get slushy you'll definitely notice the difference and want to wax more often with temp specific wax.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have a pair of skis that I haven't waxed in like 3 years and I'm still a faster rider than you so I don't think it's very important.

Real answer is that unless you're racing, once at the beginning of the season and once in the middle is plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Bought a pair of K2 Darkos and took them to Roundtop today. Textbook ice coast conditions and the lines were a bit crowded, so I spent most of the day hiking features. My last pair of boots were DC Mutinys. They fit me fine for a awhile but were just a little too soft, and I feel like my foot has shrunk (legitimately, like not a “i got boots too large and didn’t feel it till they broke in” situation).
I’m happy with them. I prefer laces over boas but this is a great middle ground with just a bottom boa to lock your ankle back into the boot. I probably would’ve gone with Enders over the Darkos if I lived closer to mountains where hard charging laps could be made into an all day event.

Also, on the topic of gear, my girlfriend’s Black Pearl 88s finally arrived in the mail today. She has no idea I got her skis, she’s currently in the shower, and they’re sitting in front of the door for when she walks out