Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fhqwhgads posted:

Booted up the game for the first time since I beat it over the summer and I can barely ding Guard Scorpion on hard. I've completely forgotten how to play.

hahaha i did the exact same thing :negative:

Super No Vacancy posted:

that feels like them trying to soften the radical correctness of the original much like having shinra blow up his own reactor instead of the protagonists being righteous terrorists

i'm a little late, but it was pretty well implied in the original that shinra did that - jessie is confused by her bomb being more powerful than expected, and they ambush you at the next one so they were pretty clearly capitalising on the opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

hahaha i did the exact same thing :negative:

i'm a little late, but it was pretty well implied in the original that shinra did that - jessie is confused by her bomb being more powerful than expected, and they ambush you at the next one so they were pretty clearly capitalising on the opportunity

Jessie blames herself for following the instructions incorrectly and ShinRa clearly expects her bomb to blow up the reactor where they ambush you, I don't think the original game supports that hypothesis. It's only by protecting backwards from the remake that you can really draw that conclusion, I think.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

On the other hand, in the original, President Shinra actually shows up in person to a reactor that they they know is being targeted, so unless he's being a massive idiot, he doesn't view them as a credible threat. Or he thinks he can get away fast enough, I guess.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Cavelcade posted:

Jessie blames herself for following the instructions incorrectly and ShinRa clearly expects her bomb to blow up the reactor where they ambush you

I think she's saying she's confused because she *did* follow the directions correctly, she screwed up the ID cards. There's never anything else saying the explosion was shinra sabotage but it's not much of a reach imo

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jackie D posted:

I think she's saying she's confused because she *did* follow the directions correctly, she screwed up the ID cards. There's never anything else saying the explosion was shinra sabotage but it's not much of a reach imo

Ah you're right, she is surprised and puts it down to something unknown but promises the next one will be even bigger. I still think it's a reach on its own to go to shinra did it, as is have expected a comment at rector 5 of they had.

Ultimately, I think it makes the game's story one I'm less interested by and don't see a strong thematic reason for it, so I don't see a reason to make it. I also think that it applies to the remake but maybe future parts will change that.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
If I recall correctly, the scene of Jessie's bomb exploding is a shot of their bomb doing some internal damage to the reactor, and then other bombs, lining the walls, that you explicitly didn't place, exploding.

Given that Shinra later drops the plate, I don't think it's a stretch to say they're kinda in on it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bleck posted:

If I recall correctly, the scene of Jessie's bomb exploding is a shot of their bomb doing some internal damage to the reactor, and then other bombs, lining the walls, that you explicitly didn't place, exploding.

Given that Shinra later drops the plate, I don't think it's a stretch to say they're kinda in on it.

The original just shows the reactor exploding from the outside, with no elaboration on the cause.

That said, ShinRa allowing it to happen is totally believable. They were going to let it happen with reactor 5.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the argument isn't really important because in both cases the character's response to the damage is "We did this much damage but we're not going to stop even knowing we did this much damage."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There's also no big twist reveal where Avalance finds out Shinra was behind it in the remake. Jessie dies thinking she was responsible for the giant explosion, so thematically we're basically in the same place by the end. It's an odd addition that they didn't really do much with, but it didn't ruin things as much as it could have.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

She... she's alive and she's gonna be on the next one... she's actually okay and she's gonna be fine I saw her gloves on the nightstand :ohdear:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

She... she's alive and she's gonna be on the next one... she's actually okay and she's gonna be fine I saw her gloves on the nightstand :ohdear:

Jessie was severely injured in the battle and the person waking up in bed at the end is actually Jessie. In an extremely lucky twist her injuries ended up making her look exactly like Bigs

Yes just like that Episode of the simpsons where Moe gets a hot face

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Moola posted:

Jessie was severely injured in the battle and the person waking up in bed at the end is actually Jessie. In an extremely lucky twist her injuries ended up making her look exactly like Bigs

Yes just like that Episode of the simpsons where Moe gets a hot face

Then Biggs!Jessie gets to be an option for the Gold Saucer date. And it turns out to be the sauciest one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What do you all think of the original Nibelheim flashback, specifically Sephiroth's character in it? I'm kinda skeptical of how it will be handled in Part 2 and also debating Sephiroth's merits as a character and villain.

To me, the flashback established Sephiroth was, if not a great human being, a merely troubled one. He had all the power a person could ask for but his personal life suffered because oftaht power. Feelings of isolation because of that power were clearly a problem. So his "fall" isn't so much a fall from a heroic paragon to a dastardly villain. It's more like the fall of a confused man who was brought low by circumstances beyond even his fantastic power. "Circumstances" here meaning Hojo

Other people say they just found Nibelheim Sephiroth creepy and not humanized at all. I don't really understand that viewpoint.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He seemed like a regular person given the circumstances he's been in. Personally, I always found his breakdown to be a bit too extreme, like he becomes an entirely different character. The only way I can make sense of it is J̴̡̑é̷͓ň̶͓̉͜o̶͇͝v̴̯̋ͅa̴͕̐̊ ̷̧͙͘i̷̱͐ś̶͇̝ ̶̺͎̋b̶͎͒e̸̫̟̿h̴̬̋͜͝ḯ̷̢͖̋n̶̛̪d̴̩̕ ̷̰̿̈į̶̦̈́̀ṯ̵̒͝ ̴̱̇à̴̘͑l̸̝͠l̵̖̜͛. He was deliberately set up to be a bit too reasonable, if a bit detached, in the flashback and afaik the stuff I've seen from Crisis Core. But that's just my interpretation, like you said I've also seen people thinking the exact opposite.

In general, when I criticize Sephiroth's character, it's because I feel like there are 3 entirely distinct characters, 4 if you count Jenova. I've seen videos on YT of people feeling the same distance between "Sephiroths", I think I saw a video recently about the two Sephiroths as presented by the game. To me these characters are written very differently:

1) Sephiroth pre-psychosis
2) Sephiroth post-psychosis, pre-death
3) The Sephiroth we chase thinking is Sephiroth but is actually Jenova/Sephiroth clones.
4) Sephiroth post-death

We only see 1 and 2 during a flashback. Granted, it's a loving long flashback. Then we interact with 3, which is sort of weird (like the boat scene), and then we deal with 4 which is a character entirely divorced from his design. We never see the legendary Sephiroth in combat other than in Cloud's memory, and we only see it for a few. From the start of the game until the end, Sephiroth is a maimed corpse doing psychological games. Which is sort of the exact opposite of how the character is presented, both in design as in feats told by the characters.

I like all of these characters in concept, as separate entities, but it's always been a peeve of mine how jarring the transition or lack thereof between them is.

In contrast, we also see Cloud's multiple personalities, but they always seemed much easier to digest for me at least.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 30, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NikkolasKing posted:

To me, the flashback established Sephiroth was, if not a great human being, a merely troubled one. He had all the power a person could ask for but his personal life suffered because oftaht power. Feelings of isolation because of that power were clearly a problem. So his "fall" isn't so much a fall from a heroic paragon to a dastardly villain. It's more like the fall of a confused man who was brought low by circumstances beyond even his fantastic power. "Circumstances" here meaning Hojo

This post is actually about Anakin Skywalker.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm seein' double, 12 Sephiroths!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

RareAcumen posted:

Don't go giving Nomura any ideas

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ace Transmuter posted:

Don't go giving Nomura any ideas

Oh lord, I'm sweatin' Sephiroth's got booty shorts now too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I played Kingdom Hearts already and it had 13.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Kingdom Hearts 4: Oops All Sephiroths

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

RareAcumen posted:

Omnislash but it's just Cloud wielding Sephiroth after Sephiroth to wail on another Sephiroth.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
This reminds me when I played a run of OG ff7 and named every character Sephiroth

I am imagine that's what having a stroke feels like

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sephiroths of the Round

Moola posted:

This reminds me when I played a run of OG ff7 and named every character Sephiroth

I'm replaying that now, and I thought it would be funny to name Aeris Tifa and Tifa Aerith. It was, for a minute, but now I'm genuinely mixing them up whenever they're in a scene together because there's no voice acting in this game

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sephiroths of the Round

I'm replaying that now, and I thought it would be funny to name Aeris Tifa and Tifa Aerith. It was, for a minute, but now I'm genuinely mixing them up whenever they're in a scene together because there's no voice acting in this game

Nice

Also the text boxes jump around the screen so it's not always clear who's talking. Enjoy!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Moola posted:

at least that's something you inflict on yourself intentionally

my cousin zack always names the main character after himself and i think that was probably the most confused he's ever been in his entire life

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
e: wrong thread

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

at least that's something you inflict on yourself intentionally

my cousin zack always names the main character after himself and i think that was probably the most confused he's ever been in his entire life

no joke I kind of did this too, I named Cloud as Jack after myself when I first played FF7 back in the day

and there's two lines that blew my mind and made me think the game was working on some kind of crazy god code

Aeris to Jack (Cloud) "Oh so you're like a jack of all trades then haha?"

and again later you have the whole Zack / Cloud realization thing it went Jack / Zack. I legit thought the game just took your characters name and mixed it up a bit to make Zack lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Cloud & Zloud

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Elentor posted:

He seemed like a regular person given the circumstances he's been in. Personally, I always found his breakdown to be a bit too extreme, like he becomes an entirely different character.

I think part of the problem is that (as far as I remember, you would know better) Sephiroth's reaction to going to the Nibelheim reactor is a bit muted, since it goes from that to obsessively reading books in the Shinra mansion to murder death kill. If the remake could flesh out him losing his poo poo/sanity over the course of Cloud's retelling a bit better it might help, at least with the first few Sephiroths you mention. I think. Maybe.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I wonder if they'll make Vincent's story something you find along the way rather than a secret. It does a lot of legwork to flesh out what's happened in the past.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Stolen from the PYF Fanart thread

https://twitter.com/CullenGardepe/status/1343942111847190534

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Cloud & Zloud

literally my dumb 15 yr old mind lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thank you, this has inspired the naming scheme for the next time I play the game. Zloud, Zarrett, Zifa, and so on

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've been tempted to do a run where I name Cloud Zack, Barrett Dyne, Tifa Aerith, Aerith Tifa, Vincent Hojo, Cid Shera, RedXIII Sephiroth and Yuffie Materia.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

I think part of the problem is that (as far as I remember, you would know better) Sephiroth's reaction to going to the Nibelheim reactor is a bit muted, since it goes from that to obsessively reading books in the Shinra mansion to murder death kill. If the remake could flesh out him losing his poo poo/sanity over the course of Cloud's retelling a bit better it might help, at least with the first few Sephiroths you mention. I think. Maybe.

I think at some point Zack will die to save Aeris and Sephiroth will join the party and it will be possible to have Cloud, Sephiroth and Aeris as your final party against meta-sephiroth.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Elentor posted:

I think at some point Zack will die to save Aeris and Sephiroth will join the party and it will be possible to have Cloud, Sephiroth and Aeris as your final party against meta-sephiroth.

:hmmyes:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What I really, really want to see happen, and I know it never will but still, is for Aerith to die and they realize they have access to infinite FF7 multiverses and they go to one of them where everyone else dies instead and merge with it. This universe, however, is slightly different - The flower girl immediately notices everyone loving up her name and in OG FF7 fashion mocks them. "What the hell is up with your accents? My name is Aeris."

Everyone grunts, confused, but carry on. Like some bizarro Sonic Generations.

"Aeris, when Aerith opened the gates of the City of the Ancients, we saw something,"

"Yes, but can Aeris commune with the Lifestream in this realm? Even Aerith had trouble at the Temple."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Nomura will never do it, because it's a problem only in the English version, but also because he's a coward

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Nomura will never do it, because it's a problem only in the English version, but also because he's a coward

Yes, but consider this, in JP it would sound exactly like all the dumb western jokes of naming every character Sephiroth, so it's a lose-lose win-win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Parallel universe where Zack and Sephiroth were friends so he introduced him to his girlfriend. So the first thing everyone sees is Sephiroth wearing a wreath of flowers on his head asking if they'd like to buy one.

Still can't get the idea of them loving it up and Erdrick showing up with his weird spell library of buffing spells and turning himself into metal and cutting the Buster Sword apart with Metal Slash.