Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

it doesn't come up a lot, but it's actually a self checkout and the "cashier" is just a mannequin to make the small town folks in the valley feel more comfortable with the technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't it just the bus to the desert that's broken? You arrive in the village just fine and you can ride the bus into town for Sam & friends' concert regardless of fixing it or not. There could be a parking lot or something hidden to the east of the bus stop. Maybe passenger trains pop by at some point between 2 and 6 in the morning.

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are no bathrooms in Pelican Town MY IMMERSION
There is a public toilet just north of the library.

TurnipFritter posted:

it doesn't come up a lot, but it's actually a self checkout and the "cashier" is just a mannequin to make the small town folks in the valley feel more comfortable with the technology
In that case it would've turned out in a bin outside after Joja gets punched out of town. A few nights later it's gone with tracks leading south.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 29, 2020

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are no bathrooms in Pelican Town MY IMMERSION

Oh I think I heard about this, they poo poo on the floor and magic it away

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pixeltendo posted:

Make the joja manager cashier dateable

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TurnipFritter posted:

Can’t talk to the cashier. This checks out.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I think Satrdew Expanded has the cashier as a character you can talk to. I don't think you can date her or even get any relationship points but she at least has some dialog. I might be misremembering since its been a while and I don't talk to characters unless I have ro.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

What I want is for your kids to grow up to be Jas and Vincent's age without mods.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Lord Awkward posted:

e. Gunther... I guess sleeps under the museum front counter? I don't think there's another door back there or anything and he doesn't move from that spot other than cutscenes right?

Even when I've entered the building outside of business hours, Gunther is always behind the counter.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

I think Satrdew Expanded has the cashier as a character you can talk to. I don't think you can date her or even get any relationship points but she at least has some dialog. I might be misremembering since its been a while and I don't talk to characters unless I have ro.

She's marriageable in Expanded. I did all 10 of her hearts and half of them are just talking about how much working for Joja sucks. She doesn't have much of a personality so I don't know why you'd want to marry her, but you can. She takes the bus to/from town in Expanded. As does Morris.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

What I want is for your kids to grow up to be Jas and Vincent's age without mods.

Having kids would be so much more meaningful if they were actual characters that could talk to you. It'd feel like something I'd actually want to do, rather than just an item to cross off the list, you know?

It would also feel less awkward to leave them at home unattended all day if they went to lessons with Penny.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It would be cool if the kids had little personality flags that are some combination of randomized, spouse dependent, and conversation triggered.

Like your daughter will say art things sometimes (Leah is spouse), she's really into cows (random), and she has a deep hated for Pierre (you told her Pierre is a villain).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mr. Prokosch posted:

she has a deep hated for Pierre (you told her Pierre is a villain).

Or Abigail did

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I worked and I scraped and finally I saved enough money to buy the upgraded backpack. On day 9. Which is a wednesday. Piiiieeerrrre! :argh:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Tenebrais posted:

It would also feel less awkward to leave them at home unattended all day if they went to lessons with Penny.

I literally can't play this update because we had a baby in real life and lol at leaving him alone or having any time to do anything on the farm when you have a baby unless you are gunning for a deadbeat parent achievement

But babies as characters would rule.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Dammit Demetrius I saved that stupid melon for you all through summer knowing you were going to ask for one, WHHHYYY did you post a request for a melon on the town noticeboard LITERALLY the day before

Have fun waiting until next year for your melon, fucko :argh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just grow it in a pot, or in the greenhouse. Or don't because demetrius is a dense motherfucker who doesn't deserve good things in life.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah it's mid-summer, year 1 - I'm still a fair way from the greenhouse and garden pots! Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of stuff villagers always ask for once the season has passed? Separate from the Help Wanted requests, I mean

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Yeah it's mid-summer, year 1 - I'm still a fair way from the greenhouse and garden pots! Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of stuff villagers always ask for once the season has passed? Separate from the Help Wanted requests, I mean

EDIT : Warning of various :siren: spoilers :siren: because it's a list of quests.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Quests#List_of_Story_Quests

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Akratic Method posted:

Honestly impressed. I've never made it! Is it just a matter of bombs and luck, or is there any strategy you can share?

High luck day, rain. Since I didn't have to worry about taking care of crops, I used a warp totem to jump to the desert and was in the Skull Cavern by 7 AM.

Once I was there, I ate mostly Spicy Eel that I'd gotten from killing Serpents on previous trips, as well as Sashimi when I needed more HP; the Sashimi was important because it has no stat boosts, and so didn't 'overwrite' the buffs to Speed and Luck from the Spicy Eel. At that point... so many bombs, y'all.

I had intended to bring a stack of stone for staircases - I honestly wasn't planning on getting the 'honorable' dialogue! - but had forgotten, so at 1 AM gametime I was on floor 97 with enough stone for... 2 staircases. So I was rushing through and blowing up everything I could see in the hopes that I'd find the stairs to 98 and then I'd cheese my way to the bottom -- but I found a hole to jump in instead, and the little box came up and said 'You fell 3 levels' and I shouted.

The only actual 'advice' I can give would be "lots and lots of bombs; if you're mining rocks one by one you're spending your time inefficiently. If jumping in a hole means you missed picking up the occasional gemstone, that's okay. Set off bombs, find holes, jump in them, heal up, repeat."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I actually never paused to wonder what might happen if you use a hole to skip past 100. Does the game truncate it so that if e.g. you jump in a hole on 96 and roll 5 or 6 floors, it forces you to stop at 100 anyway? Or can you just accidentally miss the event that way?

And yeah in the mines, with elevators, you usually have time to clear a floor before continuing. In the skull cavern, you don't. You never ever want to spend one single second collecting anything that also appears in the mines (unless it's clustered near a bunch of rocks where you were going to bomb anyway).

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think you used to be able to skip past 100 with a hole but after an update or two it forces you to stop there, as in the current state of the game.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Saxophone posted:

Personally I would love a patch that let us further invest in the community, like upgrading buildings/shops/places or additional community center bundle goals. Like if you completed the first set, the next year it resets with new goals and rewards. I always feel like once I've filled out the community center I've run out of carrots on the stick. Which is absolutely untrue, but my brain does a dumb.

Even just dumb things like a playground that keeps upgrading and each upgrade gives a bonus to rep from kid interactions, or upgrading the museum to include one of every item for display, blacksmith upgrades that gave you better luck on geodes, maybe helping out Pierre's shop have you access to better seeds or rarer/seasonal seeds.

I mean this one has a new board with week length goals you have to chose from and a new community upgrade and all sorts of completionism nonsense you can do to get things like "pierre sells poo poo out of season"

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So with the mines, do all the rocks have an even weight for dropping a ladder? Or do like the ore veins or monsters drop them more. I've been walking around and hitting the ore veins first while killing monsters on the way. Then I resort to cracking random rocks. I assume the crystals in the ice level don't spawn ladders.

Update on my apple tree: I got my axe upgraded and chopped the thing down. Now I've got 2 apple trees.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Eeyo posted:

So with the mines, do all the rocks have an even weight for dropping a ladder? Or do like the ore veins or monsters drop them more. I've been walking around and hitting the ore veins first while killing monsters on the way. Then I resort to cracking random rocks. I assume the crystals in the ice level don't spawn ladders.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/The_Mines#Ladders

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Darkhold posted:

Bombs, high luck day, food like pumpkin soup that gives you a luck boost and craft a few stairs (I think max is five to still get the 'honorable' dialogue) to skip any monster floors.

:aaa: Oh! I thought it was absolutely no stairs to get the Honorable declaration, and eventually a monster floor convinced me to use one so I figured the run was dishonored already, screw it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

can u date the horse

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Akratic Method posted:

:aaa: Oh! I thought it was absolutely no stairs to get the Honorable declaration, and eventually a monster floor convinced me to use one so I figured the run was dishonored already, screw it.

It's 10 staircases. If I see a spiral room on a skull cavern run I drop a staircase immediately, no way I'm dealing with that poo poo.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mescal posted:

can u date the horse

I would totally play a Bojack Horseman mod

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

My strategy is download the mod that puts an elevator in Skull Cavern.

Does the mod work with 1.5?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mescal posted:

can u date the horse

In a manner of speaking

:nws:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

LLSix posted:

Haven’t gotten that far to check, but I would guess probably not. It hasn’t been updated yet.

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss
I have that mod and it seems to work fine. When I did that quest I took the elevator to floor 95 and went down the others normally (with bombs).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

LLSix posted:

Check here:
https://smapi.io/mods

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Been playing with the beach farm map and I noticed that there's one tile along the shore that you can walk on, but can't place anything down. What this means is I can't make a true fence across the beach, my drat animals keep sneaking out of this hole. Does anyone know of any tricks to plug the gap?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Did the Winter bundle get changed from requiring holly instead of a snow yam or is that another thing the randomizer changed?

Its a great change either way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Think it's a randomizer change like spring onions instead of leeks

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ugh, realised too late that I'm only going to produce a single Sweet Gem Berry in Fall Year 1.

What's the best course of action for it? Should I:

A) Give it to Old Man Cannoli in the woods for a Stardrop
or
B) Use it for the Rare Crops bundle, which requires either a SGB or an Ancient Fruit. I need to finish this bundle for the greenhouse

I'm leaning towards B, since I've reached 120 in the mines but haven't unlocked Skull Cavern yet.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Got a Rabbit's Foot after barely a week of having a valid rabbit. This happened last time I played too, are they not actually as rare as I thought or am I just lucky?

Got a Nautilus Shell from the cart, waiting on five more milk and three of the Winter Forage; with luck I'll finish the center on Winter 1 and will have all Winter to prepare for Spring.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

webmeister posted:

Ugh, realised too late that I'm only going to produce a single Sweet Gem Berry in Fall Year 1.

What's the best course of action for it? Should I:

A) Give it to Old Man Cannoli in the woods for a Stardrop
or
B) Use it for the Rare Crops bundle, which requires either a SGB or an Ancient Fruit. I need to finish this bundle for the greenhouse

I'm leaning towards B, since I've reached 120 in the mines but haven't unlocked Skull Cavern yet.

If you don't have the requisite seed to grow the other rare crops option and it's already fall then definitely B. You can live without the reward from A for a year but you need that loving greenhouse yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Option b and then wait a month for the other, think about it like this. It's only the extra stamina equivalent of carrying around a turnip or two vs a month for an entire area to grow all season crops