Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

Those flames look slick. What colours did you use? Did you airbrush them?
No airbrush, except for priming, varnishing, and the occasional solid color basecoat. I prime white, then use Scale 75 Sol Yellow, cover ½ with Mars Orange, then thin the orange down to a glaze and smooth the transition. Then I do the same with Blood Red and Deep Red, covering less of the fire each time.

I'll sneak my Arcanist versatiles into this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I do think your flames always look fantastic, and the fact you do them by hand is impressive as hell. I'm curious about what you've written on Prides base here though!

Yesterday I posted my 9 Guild and Bayou crews, I have more Bayou than any other faction I think (in that if I get the Brewmaster I'll actually own all the Bayou masters...). Today its my Arcanists and Neverborn. I've got another couple of arcanists on the pile of shame waiting to be painted, but to be honest none of the other neverborn factions appeal to me terribly much. Not saying I'll never get them, because if they are cheap enough on ebay I have terrible impulse control, but I'm not going out my way for them. Maybe Marcus....

Arcanists

December

Performer

Neverborn

Nephilim

Woe

Nightmare

Between all these models I count 3 who are standing on their base rim as an aside. Mildly irritates me every time.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I'm curious about what you've written on Prides base here though!
"DON'T kill the audience!"
I'm basing them as if they're performing on a stage, so each bandmember gets a helpful message from the show's boss. Wrath will get something like "Don't listen to them", Sloth "No napping!", Lust "No make out sessions!", and so on.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

"DON'T kill the audience!"
I'm basing them as if they're performing on a stage, so each bandmember gets a helpful message from the show's boss. Wrath will get something like "Don't listen to them", Sloth "No napping!", Lust "No make out sessions!", and so on.

Nice!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah that definitely rules.

I really like what I'm seeing of Explorer's Guild, lots of cool new things.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
And my last post with stuff I painted. It's all Chimera, except for the Neverborn beasts that I also use for it. Mostly to suddenly turn Myranda into the huge Grootslang tarpit.

That's all I've painted, and I'm a pretty slow painter. I've got the Scorpius and Paul Crockett ready to paint, then It'll probably be time for the last Obliteration models, then Razorspine Rattlers when they show up. I've also got the entire M&SU keyword primed and ready to paint, and they seem like they'd be fun to play so I should probably get around to them. And the last Crossroads Seven. Man, I've got too much to paint.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

I'm loving this dude in particular, nice work!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

I'm loving this dude in particular, nice work!
Thanks :) I painted it for Wyrd's painting competition, so I went a bit harder on it, and threw a tons of bright colors on it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah the colours really pop on that dude. I really dig it.

Gonna try to set up my airbrush this week and do some painting for the first time in quite a while. After moving house it all got stored neatly under the stairs but haven't had chance to do any in ages.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Ick, Adze is a nightmare for me. Haha. I always seem to underestimate it until I'm burning to death.

Edit: Oh yeah, poison too X_X

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

TheFinalTuba posted:

Ick, Adze is a nightmare for me. Haha. I always seem to underestimate it until I'm burning to death.

Edit: Oh yeah, poison too X_X
My gaming group are all pretty new at the game, so I see a lot of "it's not so bad, I'll handle it later." when I'm setting everything on fire with Kaeris. Then, suddenly, they realize that a bunch of their guys are about to burn to death, and get real busy putting out fires.
Fun as hell!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Last post of my painted guys! Previously posted my Bayou, Guild, Arcanists, Crossroads Seven and Neverborn. I dont have any painted ten thunders crews (yet) and I dont own any explorers at all. Outside of the crews I have a few other odds and sods painted, the hodgepodge effigy (which if I'm interpreting the card right is essentially "a totem for if you are using a henchman instead of a master", right?), the 2e starter stuff (Doctor Grimwell and his nurse and orderlies, and the Neverborn Maurice, Angel Eyes and Bloodwretches) and a couple of other assorted things that were part of a bigger lot but I dont have their keyword master.

Outcasts
Von Schill Freikorps crew

Leviticus Crew

Viktorias Mercenary Crew

Resurrectionists
Seamus Redchapel Crew

Kirai Urami Crew

Molly Forgotten Crew

Nicodem (The same punk zombies/rabble risers as in the Molly picture)

Dead Rider

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Outside of the crews I have a few other odds and sods painted, the hodgepodge effigy (which if I'm interpreting the card right is essentially "a totem for if you are using a henchman instead of a master", right?)
Yeah, the Effigy is free if you have a henchman leader. Give it the Effigy of Fate upgrade to make it turn into the Emissary, for great effect.
I like the Hodgepodge Emissary's stars, but hate the sculpt. It has some great utility with the Trinket upgrades that it can give other models.
I had hoped to get an outcast avatar when when Wyrd had their promo a while ago, but didn't get one :(

Anyway, cool painting!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Yeah, the Effigy is free if you have a henchman leader. Give it the Effigy of Fate upgrade to make it turn into the Emissary, for great effect.
I like the Hodgepodge Emissary's stars, but hate the sculpt. It has some great utility with the Trinket upgrades that it can give other models.
I had hoped to get an outcast avatar when when Wyrd had their promo a while ago, but didn't get one :(

Anyway, cool painting!

In all honesty I just dont like the sculpts of the Effigies much. They just feel kind of boring, particularly the hodgepodge one, which I've mainly painted because I wanted a figure I didnt particularly like to try out a basing scheme on in case it was awful. Dont have any Emissarys although I do have a "Viktorias: Avatar of Slaughter" which I think is technically a proxy now. I have a sort of soft spot for the hodgepodge Emissary because its kind of silly looking, and really unthreatening compared to any of the others.

We two (and the guy who posted his Kaeris) cant be the only people in the thread who have painted Malifaux stuff, right? In the spirit of not wanting this thread to die, heres what I've been doing the last week or two (also posted in the general painting thread);

Joss for the arcanists

And the Oxfordian Mages

I dont technically have the keyword crew for the Oxfordian Mages, I picked them up with the 2E Toni Ironsides stuff, but I like the models and I'm keeping an eye out for a Sandeep box. Next up: Probably more Gremlins! And by probably I mean I've already slapped on base skin colour and metallics.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I think the Effigies design makes more sense when I consider that they're puppets, and was part of Collodi's gang. I'll agree that the Hodgepodge one is the worst of the bunch, since it isn't a parody the same way that the others are.
Like I said, I don't like the Hodgepodge Emissary, for the same reason that you like it. It's an old guy on a donkey, that just doesn't fit in with anything else.
While I'm jealous of your Avatar of Slaughter, I did get the Avatar of Instinct, which is a proxy for both the Arcanist and the Neverborn Emissary. I already have the Arcanist one, but it's nice for my Marcus crew.

Everybody should post what they paint, or their painted crews!
I'm working on Tara's last box right now! She was the first master I was looking at, but there was nothing out for her, so I waited. I'm looking forward to use her against the Family in the start January.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Everybody should post what they paint, or their painted crews!

Could not agree more!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Happy fire gamin

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Getting on the picture posting train with my recent M2E starter completion.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I love that fire gamin sculpt, it's just so drat happy to finally be free to burn the world.

I love crazy colors and a fun gimmick , so I think that the skin color on these guys works surprisingly well!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Turquoise nephilim are cool. Nice work. :)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

More painted models! Looking good. I had issues choosing what colour nephilim skin should be, so I've ended up deciding that they vary between purple, blue, grey and (in one case) red. The turquoise with the purple and yellow is reminding me of something, and I cant quite put my finger on where I've seen that colour combination before...

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Thanks!

I came by the skin color scheme due to how I painted my Stitched Together for 2e. At the time they were Darkened so it was for my Lynch Crew for 10T (wasn't nearly as invested in other Neverborn at the time). Due to their puppet nature I decided to go with a crazy patchwork of colors and settled on the cyan, purple, and yellow you see there.

Since then I've been doing cyan/purple/yellow on most of my Neverborn to tie them together thematically, for the Nephilim (and now those recategorized as Half-Bloods), I decided to go with cyan skin color except for those that pass as human (like Lilith).

For the starter I went with red and leather on two of them to tie to the Guild half (and tied the Guild half in with cyan masks/gloves).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-posting from the painting thread.

SiKboy posted:

Probably the last miniatures I'm painting this year. My absolute favourite* thing about photographing figures is that it immediately highlights all the minor imperfections that arent visible with the naked eye. The nozzle of the primer I was using was clogged and it was coming out kind of bitty, in person its absolutely fine, but in the photos it gives the skin a weird texture.

Anyway, you know how sometimes you have a pig over here, but you want it to be over there instead? Malifaux gremlins have the solution! The Pigapault. An ebay rescue that was assembled when I got it, theres some fairly nasty lines on the pig which I wish I'd done a better job of fixing, but again I'm happy enough its "decent tabletop" standard to me at least.

Burt Jebson. The spotting effect on the skin and jeans is 100% not visible in person, and I have since spotted I missed his elbow and fixed that.

Merris LaCroix. I'm pleased with how the flames/smoke from her rocket pack turned out.

Gremlin Taxidermist (1E Metal). Came incredibly close to painting what I later realised is supposed to be his lip as a moustache, have to admit I'm not wildly in love with the sculpt on this one, but I was doing "Gremlins which are part of crews I already have painted" and I wanted him out of my pile of shame.

Old Cranky. In an attempt to make him look older I did his skin as repeated washes of Chamoshade over a white undercoat, it actually came out okay which was frankly a suprise.

*definitely not my favourite.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Yeah as a bayou player since first edition (or technically, outcast gremlins which eventually became bayou), I gotta say, their old gremlin sculpts had such an odd design. Very glad about the design changes, they're way better now. Actually, that's across the board. So much more satisfying to build and paint.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I also finished something. Finally, Obliteration is complete! Tara was the first master that interested me back when I started out, but she only had her core box, so I skipped her back then.
I be using her to fight the Family on the 10th, so I'm really looking forward to a lot of "too bad, you hit the hole in her chest again"-moments.

Electric Hobo posted:

Jumping on the Malifaux train! The last Obliteration models, as well as a photo of the whole keyword.

SiKboy posted:

X-posting from the painting thread.
I like the Merris sculpt, and all the painting! I like the idea that a bunch of the gremlins are imitations of other figures, just crappier since gremlins don't really know what they're doing :)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Electric Hobo posted:

I like the idea that a bunch of the gremlins are imitations of other figures, just crappier since gremlins don't really know what they're doing :)

Excuse me, you mean BETTER, right?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

chin up everything sucks posted:

drat straight.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

chin up everything sucks posted:

:hmmyes:

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Being honest, Kin are way better than Family

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Electric Hobo posted:

I also finished something. Finally, Obliteration is complete! Tara was the first master that interested me back when I started out, but she only had her core box, so I skipped her back then.
I be using her to fight the Family on the 10th, so I'm really looking forward to a lot of "too bad, you hit the hole in her chest again"-moments.

I like the Merris sculpt, and all the painting! I like the idea that a bunch of the gremlins are imitations of other figures, just crappier since gremlins don't really know what they're doing :)

gently caress me, are those the official stalker sculpts?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
The dog things? Yeah, Wyrd sold the Servants of the Void box during their black friday sale. They're pretty cool sculpts!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Can anyone make recommendations on Thunder Archers vs Crime box? I could do with some ranged threats with archers or snipers but haven't really considered the Crime Boss or Yamaziko.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Flipswitch posted:

Can anyone make recommendations on Thunder Archers vs Crime box? I could do with some ranged threats with archers or snipers but haven't really considered the Crime Boss or Yamaziko.

I've played Misaki precisely once in 3e (thanks pandemic), but while I loved Katanaka Snipers in 2e (and frequently ran a Sniper/Pathfinder combo in most lists), I think if you had to pick one, the Crime Boss/Yamaziko brings a lot of control to the board.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I really like Yamazaki, too. Her sweep ability has helped against summoners and the great teacher thing is a fun trick for getting your Torakage to beat people up. I think Ten Thunders want melee in general, with a box full of snipers and archers you would probably only take one actual model in a list.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks both, yeah I was preparing to fob one Archer off to a friend to save him buying the box. I just wasn't sure if there was a reason to go for one box before the other. I'll pick up the Crime box in the future and use those first. :)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Me and another recluse that abhors human contact, met in my garage today, and we actually played a whole game game.
It was Tara vs Dreamer for maximum confusion, so it took us almost 6 hours, but we had fun all the way.
I managed to win 7-4 with Tara, as I managed to control my bury/unbury, fairly well, so it only screwed me a few times.
It was pretty fun to play a game where everybody has a ton of Terrifying, so both players burn through their cards.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What was the schemes and strats? 7 seems a pretty good score!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
The strategy was Corrupted Ley Lines, the schemes was Leave Your Mark, Research Mission, Catch and Release, Claim Jump, and Breakthrough. We had corner deployment.
I went for Catch and Release, and Leave your mark.
The strategy was pretty good, since Tara has a lot of incorporeal in her keyword, and Tara herself can take 5 move actions each round. I threw the lodestone around a bit, and got all 4 points from the strategy.
Catch and Release was also pretty simple; I put Fast on my opponent's Carver, buried him, beat him up, and had Aionus unbury him next to my chosen Void Wretch and Karina. Then my Void Wretch hauled rear end across the table, kiting everything, so I scored the endgame point as well.
Leave you mark was worse, but I brought a Prospector that could drop a Scheme marker even though everybody was fighting everybody in the center. I didn't get the endgame point for it.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Latest Wyrd newsletter has Feb releasing a new Through the Breach supplement; From Nightmares, the Nephalim sourcebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

There's also a $5 coupon for the Wyrd webstore at the bottom too. Thinking about using it since I need to special order Void Hunters and Kabuki Warriors.