Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Management game metagame: management game taxonomy.

Taxonomy is comparative so trying to come up with categories without a list of games already to compare against each other is probably going to go nowhere.

There's survival city builders! Logistic crafters! City building logistics! Up is down. Life is chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

When I think of management games I usually think of games where you place buildings/machines and then npcs do the actual busy work. Stardew valley wouldnt qualify since you do the actual work yourself instead designating at far plot and having some peon do it

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I personally file Stardew, Graveyard Keeper etc, along with stuff like Zomboid and UnReal World as homesteading games, all about working to carve your own space out of nothing. Even though there's all the farming, I don't think of it as being at all like day, the actual Farming Simulator games.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
We're going to end up with a recommendations n dimensional plot graph aren't we.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I mean all genres are arbitrary so if the op wanted to they could put DOOM in the op as a resource and spacial management game and they'd be technically right

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You all are going to make me lose my poo poo again about steam user tags.

No, CS:GO isn’t a “strategy” game because you can use the word “strategy” in a sentence about what you do CS:GO.

Honestly I would make the thread a home for anything even tangentially related to management that doesn’t have its own thread. Stardew does, but if some other “manangement lite” game doesn’t have a home, list it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I come to this thread primarily as a chat thread before we abandon all the games that have their own thread. It holds in depth discussion about management games not supporting a thread but I'm really here for the chat about management games and their relation to other management games. But maybe I'm the one doing it wrong.

When I think management game I first think about games where you are designing processes or systems in or outside the game with some sort of permanence, to progress. This describes city builders and ant farms/isometric bases entirely as the end result is a functioning system. But also gives some outs for the odd balls like certain homestead games with involved set up get a pass because you need to come up with a process to save you enough time to talk to people etc. But DOOM's space management means something different and I'd throw it out on the permanence part: solving the lava factory doesn't really impact solving the hell tower.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

But DOOM's space management means something different and I'd throw it out on the permanence part: solving the lava factory doesn't really impact solving the hell tower.

Untrue! The latest dooms let you choose whether your rocket launcher fires 3 rockets or 1 big rocket and that choice made in the lava factory directly affects the standard factorio measurement of Rockets Per Minute.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
For me, the maintenance of your agents are the split between management game genres. In Industries of Titan, there is no maintenance of your employees or citizens beyond a slight power draw, is different from the Epic Games Store contemporary "Before We Leave", where your pips eat vegitables and smoothies which require significantly more investment than the house building that attracts the pip in the first place.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

My current genre split is based on the development time remaining and expended.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I guess from my view core to management games is the automation. If you have a successful game in progress and leave it alone it will run more or less indefinitely (barring any special events that will require your direct intervention) and your main engagement is in changing that system to produce more or meet objectives or whatever your broader goal happens to be.

You can sub-divide objectives from there based on what your main automation agents are, and how involved it is to maintain them. If the whole purpose of the system is maintaining your agents (which is to say, people) then you have a colony sim. If maintaining your agents is a heavy component of your design but they're in service of a separate goal, then you have a traditional management game. If the agents require little or no maintenance as long as you keep fuelling the machine you have an automation game, with a sub-genre of train games where the main design challenge is in actually getting your agents to route properly. If the agents are largely abstract then it's somewhere in the area of city builders, although there's probably a larger category you can sort city builders under that aren't entirely about building a city.

Homesteading games usually revolve around partially automating your work but you still need to stay manually involved in making things happen so they're in the vicinity of management games but more part of the larger umbrella of games about building stuff.

That's my take anyway. Which appears to be a synthesis of the above two takes, happily.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

I come to this thread primarily as a chat thread before we abandon all the games that have their own thread. It holds in depth discussion about management games not supporting a thread but I'm really here for the chat about management games and their relation to other management games. But maybe I'm the one doing it wrong.

Also I wasn’t thinking much when I referenced “games that have a thread” - obviously I wouldn’t advocate “no factorio chat it has its own thread.” Just that the thrust of discussion here seems to be games that don’t have another home, firstly. I like that (because I find new niche games I like) but I’m not suggesting any change to discussion about games with their own thread at all, because as you said it’s more of a chatty thread about the genre.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tenebrais posted:

I guess from my view core to management games is the automation. If you have a successful game in progress and leave it alone it will run more or less indefinitely (barring any special events that will require your direct intervention) and your main engagement is in changing that system to produce more or meet objectives or whatever your broader goal happens to be.

You can sub-divide objectives from there based on what your main automation agents are, and how involved it is to maintain them. If the whole purpose of the system is maintaining your agents (which is to say, people) then you have a colony sim. If maintaining your agents is a heavy component of your design but they're in service of a separate goal, then you have a traditional management game. If the agents require little or no maintenance as long as you keep fuelling the machine you have an automation game, with a sub-genre of train games where the main design challenge is in actually getting your agents to route properly. If the agents are largely abstract then it's somewhere in the area of city builders, although there's probably a larger category you can sort city builders under that aren't entirely about building a city.

Homesteading games usually revolve around partially automating your work but you still need to stay manually involved in making things happen so they're in the vicinity of management games but more part of the larger umbrella of games about building stuff.

That's my take anyway. Which appears to be a synthesis of the above two takes, happily.
Focusing on agent interaction ignores database transformation games where your main verbs are influencing transforming functions on the database aka spreadsheet games and I'm not sure you would ever want to leave spreadsheet games out of something called management games.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ShootaBoy posted:

I personally file Stardew, Graveyard Keeper etc, along with stuff like Zomboid and UnReal World as homesteading games, all about working to carve your own space out of nothing. Even though there's all the farming, I don't think of it as being at all like day, the actual Farming Simulator games.

"homesteading game" is a good term for it, and where it intersects with the broader 'management' genre is in time management

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Sidestep from the categorisation chat - can anyone recommend a good colony sim/base builder, maybe a city builder (fit it into whatever schema you so desire), where you start from "what is fire?" and just tech tree alllllllll the way to a space program? RimWorld almost fits, but doesn't if that makes sense, so maybe something like an extremely focused Civ? Or something adjacent anyway

Also I just lost 3 drat days to that Waterworks game someone mentioned on itch, now I got all the acheivements I keep trying to get the sewers built in under 100 turns and I don't even know if that's theoretically possible

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think it's important that we discuss games (up to a point of course) that already have their own threads. Sometimes long time players of those games with threads lose touch with what it's like to just start in the game or to wonder if the game is for them. I think it's important to have a thread where someone can get different perspectives.

When people come to this thread what are they looking for? When you the reader first came here, what were you looking for? Games in specific categories like city builders or railroad games? Or just a place to chat?

It's not a huge deal, y'all. I want the OP to be welcoming (and am somewhat jealous of the 4x's OP, more extensive than ours :) )

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Sidestep from the categorisation chat - can anyone recommend a good colony sim/base builder, maybe a city builder (fit it into whatever schema you so desire), where you start from "what is fire?" and just tech tree alllllllll the way to a space program? RimWorld almost fits, but doesn't if that makes sense, so maybe something like an extremely focused Civ? Or something adjacent anyway

Also I just lost 3 drat days to that Waterworks game someone mentioned on itch, now I got all the acheivements I keep trying to get the sewers built in under 100 turns and I don't even know if that's theoretically possible

Before We Leave has that abstracted into like 6 discreet phases over the course of a 40-60 hour playthrough. The steps you discribe is the early game where you go from "pip cops wood to make house" to sailing, to oil processing, to space ship. Then you got like 5 more planets after that.

I'm not good with the spinning plates, fire and forget kinda colony management you can find with like multiple base rimworld mods or the new ONI dlc, so I need to stop caring about babying my automation if I am going to keep up with the fast paced world of sea monkey applications.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Evolution of Ages: Settlement is like that (https://store.steampowered.com/app/704640) - if you can stomach the interface/graphics. It's got the depth though, and is really quite good. Probably my best purchase in the winter sale, especially considering the price. I bounced off it a year ago or so, but I'm glad I gave it another chance. Shame about the developer's health issues, which means the DLC has been on hold for a while now.

I'm sure there are Rimworld mods that do something similar - and I'd like to know them then, because the lacklustre tech tree is my main qualm with Rimworld.

There's also Orbi Universo, but it's less of a builder and more of a lever adjusting kind of game. It's strangely engrossing, actually. And it doesn't go to the space age (yet).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

If you want adjacent to turn based RPG there's Settlements. Its a good genre spanning game of something around turn based RPG, old school dungeon crawler RPG, choose your own adventure/random event management, crafting, and teching up. The UI is vintage 1997 Visual basic so its not for everyone but its a lot of teching and crafting goodness.

Mayveena posted:

I think it's important that we discuss games (up to a point of course) that already have their own threads. Sometimes long time players of those games with threads lose touch with what it's like to just start in the game or to wonder if the game is for them. I think it's important to have a thread where someone can get different perspectives.

When people come to this thread what are they looking for? When you the reader first came here, what were you looking for? Games in specific categories like city builders or railroad games? Or just a place to chat?

It's not a huge deal, y'all. I want the OP to be welcoming (and am somewhat jealous of the 4x's OP, more extensive than ours :) )
I wasn't commenting like an in depth OP was going away from chat thread or anything like that. More that a game's other thread shouldn't influence how prominent or explained out it is in this OP compared to any other game in the OP.

Given the difficulty in fitting names everyone agrees to thus far I probably wouldn't try to subsection it off at all. I'd start with a list and move all the titles in the list to be next to the game its most like so it still flows but doesn't need exact, arguable subgenres listed everywhere. You might be able to give obvious subgenres after doing this or you might not and I don't think it'd be a big loss if it did not.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sending my spirit energy to the OP~

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I played way too much W&R today, something extremely itch scratching about very slowly building out roads and buildings using your own materials that I was missing in more 'ploppable' games like C:S.

I do wish that there was a ALWAYS HAVE A DUDE WORKING HERE button or something so I don't lose my entire population after a few people randomly stopped showing up to the heat generator in winter and whoops my entire population got cold and left

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I played way too much W&R today, something extremely itch scratching about very slowly building out roads and buildings using your own materials that I was missing in more 'ploppable' games like C:S.

I do wish that there was a ALWAYS HAVE A DUDE WORKING HERE button or something so I don't lose my entire population after a few people randomly stopped showing up to the heat generator in winter and whoops my entire population got cold and left

Personal cars or a single apartment block just barely within walking distance solve this well.

Or, strangely, gondolas. They can’t be interrupted by traffic and have no loiter/wait time for workers to have to wait at a platform.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Been playing the free gnomoria game ingnomia again.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/709240/Ingnomia

It recently got a new ui and has multiple people contributing (it's open source)

Really progressing nicely now, and ui is way easier to use. Anyone else playing?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Agean90 posted:

When I think of management games I usually think of games where you place buildings/machines and then npcs do the actual busy work. Stardew valley wouldnt qualify since you do the actual work yourself instead designating at far plot and having some peon do it

I’m currently remembering the old Win95 game Free Enterprise where you literally plopped machines down in a factory and told NPCs which position to work each day.

You also had to hire administrative staff and plop cubicles down for them!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m currently remembering the old Win95 game Free Enterprise where you literally plopped machines down in a factory and told NPCs which position to work each day.

You also had to hire administrative staff and plop cubicles down for them!

Why hello, this is the answer to a 24 year old question: did the game box of some sort of factory-game I remember seeing actually exist, or did I fabricate it entirely?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Personal cars or a single apartment block just barely within walking distance solve this well.

Or, strangely, gondolas. They can’t be interrupted by traffic and have no loiter/wait time for workers to have to wait at a platform.

Cool, thanks. Gondolas to commute for work sounds like a wacky goal that would be fun to shoot for

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Can we be sure to include Goonfleet Logistics to the list of management games? Thanks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Can we be sure to include Goonfleet Logistics to the list of management games? Thanks.

Sorry, we can only include games that I've heard of :shrug: :)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think he's referring to Eve

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Haha yes, sorry, I should have been more clear that I was making a stupid joke.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Cool, thanks. Gondolas to commute for work sounds like a wacky goal that would be fun to shoot for

They’re kind of niche and arguably their benefits don’t outweigh the footprint, other methods are more effective, etc etc.

What’s funny, though, is you call it a “wacky goal” and since the last patch that added more sounds to things: whenever you click the gondola it plays a wacky cartoon slide whistle noise. It’s like the game knows it’s a joke.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

They’re kind of niche and arguably their benefits don’t outweigh the footprint, other methods are more effective, etc etc.

What’s funny, though, is you call it a “wacky goal” and since the last patch that added more sounds to things: whenever you click the gondola it plays a wacky cartoon slide whistle noise. It’s like the game knows it’s a joke.

In my current game, there's a decent sized ridge separating low river flatlands from a higher plateau with resources and industry. The rail network loops around, though a major town, to supply the town and connect to a shipyard on the river, but it's a long, long distance. As such, the steel for the shipyard actually goes to a siding and storage on top the plateau, is shipped down by gondola to another storage, and then another shorter rail connection takes it to the shipyard. I am unreasonably proud of this silly solution.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Log082 posted:

In my current game, there's a decent sized ridge separating low river flatlands from a higher plateau with resources and industry. The rail network loops around, though a major town, to supply the town and connect to a shipyard on the river, but it's a long, long distance. As such, the steel for the shipyard actually goes to a siding and storage on top the plateau, is shipped down by gondola to another storage, and then another shorter rail connection takes it to the shipyard. I am unreasonably proud of this silly solution.

You should be! Every time I find a viable use for a gondola it feels like seeing a rainbow. Like I said I might be able to find an argument that there’s always a better way (specifically if you enable fires - then everything needs road access anyway) but sometimes they do just click.

The game’s woopwoopWOOPWOOPWOOP slide whistle for them is still hilarious though.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SkyeAuroline posted:

I own it and played it for a bit. Wasn't really fond of it at all, very shallow and its design roots show. Don't really regret spending money in it but I haven't found a reason to go back to it yet.

If it’s been awhile since you played, they just released a massive update which added a bunch of additional mechanics/tech and a very revised campaign with a hex map overworld you slowly conquer. Also I’d second going for the steam version over the donation one — it’s definitely super expanded. I think it’s probably most fun coop.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I play with hardest everything on W&R but have fires turned off- no matter how connected I have everything and firestations I have, I still get fires in critical expensive infrastructure (usually oil tanks) that the firefighters just completely ignore.

I somehow missed gondolas were even a thing in this game, gonna have to try that.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I got it as a gift and haven't started playing yet, and I'm now imagining "building Soviet Venice" and grinning. Can you dig canals? I'd be surprised if the answer is no but haven't looked into it closely.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I got it as a gift and haven't started playing yet, and I'm now imagining "building Soviet Venice" and grinning. Can you dig canals? I'd be surprised if the answer is no but haven't looked into it closely.

They're like ski slope gondolas, not boat gondolas.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

PerniciousKnid posted:

They're like ski slope gondolas, not boat gondolas.

Rip.
My dream stands. Maybe a mod one day.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Rip.
My dream stands. Maybe a mod one day.

Well, you can use ferries in Cities in Motion. It's a useful mode of transport in certain circumstances.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

First take on additions to the OP: (the OP will include links as to where to buy/obtain these games)

quote:

Overall high popularity management games
Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Terraria

City Builders
Cities Skylines
Anno 1800
Tropico 6 (? different Tropico?)

Factory Games
Factorio
Satisfactory (early access)
Factory Town (early access)
Autonauts

Base Building Games
Rimworld
Subnautica
Astroneer

Railroad Games
Transport Fever 2
Railroad Empire
OpenTTD (community mod for Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Other Games of note
(need sports management game here I think)
Soviet Union Workers and Resources (some jank; Early Access)

All thoughts welcome!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Minecraft isnt a management game, Terraria less so.