Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I remember some years ago there was a new poster who came into the thread and basically introduced themselves by saying that Cabin in the Woods was their favorite horror movie of all time.

I feel bad about it because iirc we heckled that poster and they were never heard from again. As Jules said, we should've tried harder to be the shepherd.

oh man i remember that hahah baptism by fire in the horror thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I loved Cabin in the Woods but I also haven’t rewatched it since I stopped liking Whedon and I can’t imagine I’d enjoy it as much nowadays. Same reason I haven’t seen Dogma since I was a teenager

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I also liked Cabin in the Woods when it came out, but I was woefully uninformed about all the good horror movies that came out in the preceding years which rendered its central argument irrelevant

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

I loved Cabin in the Woods but I also haven’t rewatched it since I stopped liking Whedon and I can’t imagine I’d enjoy it as much nowadays. Same reason I haven’t seen Dogma since I was a teenager

Goddard tempered Whedons worst poo poo, thankfully.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cabin in the Woods is still a fun dumb time despite its fanbase and its creator.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cabin in the Woods is enjoyable once, and maybe twice just to try to catch all the poo poo flying around at the end. I don't begrudge anyone who likes it, but at the time it was being celebrated as something that it definitely wasn't.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Criticising the point of Cabin in the Woods by bringing up a handful of decent horrors which had zerodidn't have much cultural impact compared to the filler churned out by studios in the 2000's is, for me, nutso. Look at the decline the genre was in (compared to every other drat decade). Personally I see it as a critical state of the genre timed quite perfectly and the ending loving slaps.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I only saw Cabin in the Woods once, while I remember enjoying it, I also never felt the need to rewatch it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cabin in the Woods was also on the shelf for several years before release. What it was saying was more apt when it was made than when it came out.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that ending is also extra hilarious and prescient considering the weird loving self serving fandom jerk off that is going on in every large franchise property and horror isnt excluded in that.

just a weird, "ok-ish' movie that sometimes punches above its weight class.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BisonDollah posted:

Criticising the point of Cabin in the Woods by bringing up a handful of decent horrors which had zerodidn't have much cultural impact compared to the filler churned out by studios in the 2000's is, for me, nutso. Look at the decline the genre was in (compared to every other drat decade). Personally I see it as a critical state of the genre timed quite perfectly and the ending loving slaps.

Cabin in the Woods was released in 2012, so by then the low point of the 2000s was past. Regardless of what the big studios were doing, the fact is that the genre saw an influx of new talent and fresh ideas around 2010ish and the decade that followed was much more indicative of that than any point Cabin in the Woods was trying to make.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Cabin in the Woods was released in 2012, so by then the low point of the 2000s was past. Regardless of what the big studios were doing, the fact is that the genre saw an influx of new talent and fresh ideas around 2010ish and the decade that followed was much more indicative of that than any point Cabin in the Woods was trying to make.

Cabin in the Woods was in the can for several years before the studio released it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Cabin in the Woods was in the can for several years before the studio released it.

Yea, definitely that was a mistake.

Like I said though, I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods. It was a good time, and nothing more(which is fine!).

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I think a better criticism of CitW is that, despite attempting to be a satire on horror, it's neither scary nor particularly funny except for maybe a couple jokes. If it was billing itself as a straight horror or straight comedy it would be universally panned as a failure, it really only skates by on a couple memorable scenes and the vaguest notion that it's making a statement of some kind.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

dorium posted:

that ending is also extra hilarious and prescient considering the weird loving self serving fandom jerk off that is going on in every large franchise property and horror isnt excluded in that.

just a weird, "ok-ish' movie that sometimes punches above its weight class.

It's obvious how disingenuous it was because just look at what Whedon went on to do afterwards. A real crusader in the fight against formulaic poo poo.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

This, plus the fact movies are always late to the party.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Cabin in the Woods was also on the shelf for several years before release. What it was saying was more apt when it was made than when it came out.

Also you're acting like CITW's was a smug, minimising exercise to dismiss horror where I see it as the opposite. A kind of love letter pointing out the bad but also remembering all the fun, crazy poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its not a specific year to me. Its that Cabin in the Woods feels like a send up of the idea of horror rather than the state of horror. Its like writing a "the black guy always dies first" or "the woman who always falls down" or "they always hide in the basement" joke. They're lame observations that have been made a million times and already mocked better. Its the stuff you can pick up from watching The Family Guy or something.

There's some fun and imaginative stuff in there, especially if you like Whedon. And Whedon does at least understand horror can be fun. I just don't think its good enough or has enough real familiarity or love for horror to really elevate the material and be worth the amount its been talked about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Its not a specific year to me. Its that Cabin in the Woods feels like a send up of the idea of horror rather than the state of horror. Its like writing a "the black guy always dies first" or "the woman who always falls down" or "they always hide in the basement" joke. They're lame observations that have been made a million times and already mocked better. Its the stuff you can pick up from watching The Family Guy or something.

There's some fun and imaginative stuff in there, especially if you like Whedon. And Whedon does at least understand horror can be fun. I just don't think its good enough or has enough real familiarity or love for horror to really elevate the material and be worth the amount its been talked about.

Not that I disagree with you points but I also think the movie is making a clear comment about the state of horror at the time. You've got all of these wacky and interesting monsters being kept down there in the facility, but the American ritual always succeeds because we always use the same go-to monsters that are simple, predictable, and effective.

Of course, we the audience are given a lot of the blame(remember that it's the college kids in the cabin that actually choose their own monster from the various items in the basement) too because we're the ones who continue to pay money to see the same thing over and over again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

King of Bleh posted:

I think a better criticism of CitW is that, despite attempting to be a satire on horror, it's neither scary nor particularly funny except for maybe a couple jokes. If it was billing itself as a straight horror or straight comedy it would be universally panned as a failure, it really only skates by on a couple memorable scenes and the vaguest notion that it's making a statement of some kind.

Cabin in the Woods has roughly the same problem as Scott Pilgrim or the Louis C.K. apology tour: it's performing the superficial motions of self-critique on behalf of someone who hasn't actually learned anything and doesn't intend to change

the most telling thing about it is that the ending is portrayed as the end of the world, and the ambivalence of the young protagonists is equally easy to read as, like, juvenile nihilism as the dawn of a new era.

the movie's more about generational struggle than it is about horror as a genre despite everything, and it's pretending it's not on the side of the people going "kids these days" -- but fails to be convincing on that point

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Not that I disagree with you points but I also think the movie is making a clear comment about the state of horror at the time. You've got all of these wacky and interesting monsters being kept down there in the facility, but the American ritual always succeeds because we always use the same go-to monsters that are simple, predictable, and effective.

Of course, we the audience are given a lot of the blame(remember that it's the college kids in the cabin that actually choose their own monster from the various items in the basement) too because we're the ones who continue to pay money to see the same thing over and over again.

Yeah, but as you've said I don't think that was an especially cognizant point at the time. Its a broadly true statement. To some extent it will always be true that horror like most communities/institutions cling to nostalgia and familiarity and reliability. But there's nothing truly insightful about that. Its not "a huge flip on horror" or "Never allow any other horror movie to look at itself in the same way ever again". Its just kind of the same basic criticism with a kind funny and creative idea.

I think I used this phrasing once before but it felt like a horror parody formed less from watching horror movies so much as from what Whedon absorbed about horror through the 80s and 90s. I think that worked well enough when he was parodying horror in the 90s but eventually anyone who doesn't keep up on a field ends up feeling dated and behind the times.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

The premise is lame office worker bets in a horror trope competition based around human sacrifice to ancient gods, the lame observations are kinda the point. Number crunchers and data analysts are working to succeed alongside/in spite of markets elsewhere doing the same thing, the reason they are doing this is forgotten. Unconnected and disinterested in their work - all the workers know is the perpetual letting of blood has to be committed in order to satiate the higher ups who demand it - everyone is so bored by the violence and the factory setting of ritual that the system is on the precipice of failure. Something something movie studio system something something capitalism.

Horror Thread: Betting in a Horror Trope Competition Based Around Human Sacrifice to Ancient Gods Is, To Me, A Lame Observation

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still like Cabin in the Woods, Jenkins and Whitford are great horror villains

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Anyway we should've just been like "Cabin in the Woods is pretty fun, but I've got some EVEN BETTER recommendations for you" but instead we probably launched into this whole discussion we're having now and the new poster was like :yikes:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

Anyway we should've just been like "Cabin in the Woods is pretty fun, but I've got some EVEN BETTER recommendations for you" but instead we probably launched into this whole discussion we're having now and the new poster was like :yikes:

This is reminding me that I need to rewatch Tucker and Dale Vs Evil.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

This is true and fair.

And for more recommendations of off beat horrors and observations from experts like Basebf555 check out the Spook-A-Doodle Bracketology II Tournament & Movie Club kicking off our second season January 1st!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lumbermouth posted:

This is reminding me that I need to rewatch Tucker and Dale Vs Evil.

gently caress yea you should. great flick.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I’m going to watch that new alien medical examiner show solely because Alan Tudyk is the lead. He’s one of those dudes who makes things better solely through his presence.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lumbermouth posted:

I’m going to watch that new alien medical examiner show solely because Alan Tudyk is the lead. He’s one of those dudes who makes things better solely through his presence.

It was filmed like 20 mins away from where I live so I'm going to check it out or the novelty if nothing else

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Like all good horror comedies, you can tell that Tucker and Dale was made by people who actually like the teens run afoul of hillbillies set of horror movies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Retro Futurist posted:

It was filmed like 20 mins away from where I live so I'm going to check it out or the novelty if nothing else

The tv show Ed was filmed in one of my favorite bars and my local bowling alley and much of the show in my little town and I still haven't bothered to check it out.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I always felt like CitW was very clearly more about the studios than about the genre. They don't understand horror audiences at all but have stumbled on something that kind of works so they cling to it as long as it keeps kind of working, etc. etc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Irony.or.Death posted:

I always felt like CitW was very clearly more about the studios than about the genre. They don't understand horror audiences at all but have stumbled on something that kind of works so they cling to it as long as it keeps kind of working, etc. etc.

I think I agree with you. I remember watching it and something just felt off about it, like it was too polished or something. At the time I just chalked it up to having a friend who was a big Whedon fangirl really talk it up to me before I got around to watching it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

The J-horror bit definitely works with this reading

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

See, the ultimate problem of the film is that it’s pretentious. Everything points to some sort of ‘deep’ allegorical meaning, but no-one can discern what that actually is.

In this case, the imagery of a variety of monsters kept in cages is interpreted as representing how studios are afraid to innovate; they’re keeping all the best ideas under lock and key!

But then, what are some concrete examples of these great unsold ideas? Well, here’s Pinhead from the 2011 film Hellraiser: Revelations. Next to him, there’s the fuckin’ MegaPython from the 2011 film Mega Python vs. Gatoroid. One of the genuinely unused ideas is “ironic horror movie where teens are killed by a pretty unicorn”.

You know the actual hidden meaning of CITW? It’s a beat-for beat ripoff of Dean Koontz’ Phantoms.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You know the actual hidden meaning of CITW? It’s a beat-for beat ripoff of Dean Koontz’ Phantoms.

Hey, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I am cursed, every time I try and watch Posessor something happens and I get pulled away from it, I’ve tried it 3 times now and I’ve been interrupted every time, I’m gonna give it a few days then I’m putting myself on lockdown for 2 hours so I can enjoy it.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I am cursed, every time I try and watch Posessor something happens and I get pulled away from it, I’ve tried it 3 times now and I’ve been interrupted every time, I’m gonna give it a few days then I’m putting myself on lockdown for 2 hours so I can enjoy it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You're not cursed, you're just stuck in a time loop.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

You're not cursed, you're just stuck in a time loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

See, the ultimate problem of the film is that it’s pretentious. Everything points to some sort of ‘deep’ allegorical meaning, but no-one can discern what that actually is.

In this case, the imagery of a variety of monsters kept in cages is interpreted as representing how studios are afraid to innovate; they’re keeping all the best ideas under lock and key!

But then, what are some concrete examples of these great unsold ideas? Well, here’s Pinhead from the 2011 film Hellraiser: Revelations. Next to him, there’s the fuckin’ MegaPython from the 2011 film Mega Python vs. Gatoroid. One of the genuinely unused ideas is “ironic horror movie where teens are killed by a pretty unicorn”.

I mean Marx's theory of alienation (workers from the product of their labour) as it applies to the horror genre is a pretty sweet allegory for a popcorn horror. "Deep" is probably a bit too loaded of a term although it is interesting; at least, it is to me.

Also bargain basement horror tropes might not be the great unsold ideas you are positing it as here, might it just be more examples of the kind of copycat horror this film is exploring? Sniping the horror basement is kind of strange because CITW had a fun, unique premise which used these guys to make a point about lack of creativity and also to have fun, be entertaining. These were some of the best scenes but I really don't think the no-Pinhead guy was presented in any way other than as an example of something we've all seen before and I'm confused as to why you'd say these guys are concrete examples of unsold ideas. Also CITW premise certainly doesn't contradict or age badly when you look at the horror genre defining movies of the 2010's with the A24 lot and Get Out being the big films that permeated culture in new and interesting ways. Hatchet sure wouldn't have broken through although horror audiences have the biggest hardons for looking back and celebrating that poo poo. Conservatism had gripped the genre and you still get horror "fans" who would rather see a shoddy homage to the best eras in the genre than something engaging and modern (this may be a silly example but I just mentioned how sad it was horror fans didn't celebrate Black Christmas 2019 more, it's movies like that which will hit with society and bring more ideas, interest and money to filmmakers in the genre... I dunno, I am rambling a bit I wish I could be clearer but here we are).