Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Im on a Switch

edit: apparently not. I wouldn't have spent a dime on this loving thing if I had known this.

You can make an account with a throwaway email address, or use your normal address and just mark it as spam so you never see anything from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah i sent it to a spam account. Sorry for the overreaction, i just hate poo poo like that.

The controls are weirdly floaty but its pretty fun!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm guessing I'm not the only one that records a quick clip of the small lyres to play back at the big ones?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol I was playing earlier moving the glowing balls onto the puzzle field near the giant astrolabe and I yeeted one of them and it rolled off a cliff and now I have no idea where the gently caress it is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lol I was playing earlier moving the glowing balls onto the puzzle field near the giant astrolabe and I yeeted one of them and it rolled off a cliff and now I have no idea where the gently caress it is.

if you hold start/options whatever it is on pc, time will pass, which also resets unfinished puzzles

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rinkles posted:

if you hold start/options whatever it is on pc, time will pass, which also resets unfinished puzzles

I'm on a Switch

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm on a Switch

sorry, idk what the switch equivalent is, but i'm sure there is one. it's whatever you use to go into the options menu, not the character/map menu. just hold it instead of pressing once.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm on a Switch

Hold the plus button

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that records a quick clip of the small lyres to play back at the big ones?

I scribble it down as numbers e.g. 4-2-4-1-3.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just use my memory

It’s a memory puzzle, usually with 4-6 things to remember

If you can remember a phone number you can remember “4121” or something come on

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I try not to fast travel, so I don't go straight back to the big lyres after finding a small one. If you do that too, Hedrigall, you must have a better memory than me. But note taking should work too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

If you can remember a phone number

'If' doing a lot of work here.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hedrigall posted:

I just use my memory

I wouldn't be that dismissive toward people. I have really bad ADD and my short-term memory is absolute garbage.

Memorizing a phone number is not the same.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Who remembers a phone number in a few minutes, that's insane.

I still don't know my phone number, I think there might be a 9 in it?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Some vault chests are harder or impossible without the required skills at hand.

Finding a cosmetic item in a chest is certainly an improvement over a sword that breaks in ten hits anyway.

If youre looking to beat all of Hernes tasks then you will need to beat every vault with most of the loot, and all the myth puzzles.

It is possible to max everything without having tobpick up every resource like Ambrosia. Theres also a Mastery System but games this packed with content arent really something you'd place twice.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hedrigall posted:

I just use my memory

I tried to challenge my memory with those by not immediately returning to the big lyre and doing a vault or two first. I am usually really bad at memorizing arbitrary things like phone numbers or pins, but it worked quite well. I think I had to return to two of those lyres because I had some notes jumbled.
Those are just short sequences with only four notes, so it is way easier to remember than some telephone number like 0246493615.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My favorite was 3 2 1.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I can't find enough purple adamantine. I upgraded my body armor to level 4 something like 8 hours ago, and only now had enough to get my helmets to level 3. It'll be a long while before I get them to the next level.

I killed Medusa. Not sure if there was an associated quest. Very very similar to her fight in Odyssey. The reward was pretty puny for 20 minutes of plinking arrows whilst the audio glitched out.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I don’t think I would have liked the game as much playing on a higher difficulty, I finished the game on easy with just a couple armor upgrades and maxed out weapons. I could still die if I did something stupid but it certainly removes the need to grind before progressing.

The game is more than long enough as it is.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dropped down to normal when I realised this game had level scaling. It goes from red to blue to purple. Is there another tier?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think I made a mistake by trying to focus on one area at a time. Its leading me to burning out on trying to search out specific chests and stuff instead of exploring naturally.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I think I made a mistake by trying to focus on one area at a time. Its leading me to burning out on trying to search out specific chests and stuff instead of exploring naturally.

I feel that way a bit too, but the game's structure basically incentives this. You gotta get pretty deep into a territory to reveal its map.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hedrigall posted:

I just use my memory

I'm very loving high whenever I play this game, I'm just saying.

I like making a fake lyre and marking each string with the numbers. :3:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Rinkles posted:

I feel that way a bit too, but the game's structure basically incentives this. You gotta get pretty deep into a territory to reveal its map.

Dont you just need to find the statues which are really obvious? Ive been holding off on doing the actual missions and just looking for chests.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Finished the game. I was very nearing burnout near the end. I would say I did maybe 1/3 of the vaults and am missing 1 wraith lair. But I maxed out the axe and sword, which made the game super easy. 36 hours total. Fantastic game and makes me not want to go back to Valhalla. Really feel like this is going to be one of those 'missed gems' that people talk about in a few years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

As someone that hasn't played BotW, how does Fenyx compare?

I thought the first 10-15 hours were fantastic, but my enjoyment has been slowly decreasing since. I expected the regions to have more variety. It does have a pretty budget feel for a full priced game. Half of the enemies are lifted from AC Odyssey, and (as far as I can tell) all the bosses are reskins of the basic enemies.

And most of the puzzles really aren't great. The vaults began to feel like chores.

Still, a pretty good game, definitely gonna continue.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I don't think it's a great game to binge on. Granted, that's exactly what I did, but it feels like it would be best to do a few hours here and there on the game. I did 36 hours in the course of almost a week. I wish I had stretched that out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Rinkles posted:

I thought the first 10-15 hours were fantastic, but my enjoyment has been slowly decreasing since. I expected the regions to have more variety. It does have a pretty budget feel for a full priced game. Half of the enemies are lifted from AC Odyssey, and (as far as I can tell) all the bosses are reskins of the basic enemies.

And most of the puzzles really aren't great. The vaults began to feel like chores.

Fenyx looks better. It's not even close but not a fair comparison.
The combat in Fenyx is much better in play and in not having your weapons break constantly.
Bows are much better in BOTW. In Fenyx they just plink and plonk, but in BOTW they are useful.
Story isn't even close. Fenyx actually has time put into a story. BOTW has a couple cut scenes that are loosely tied together and every so often you meet someone who says something.
Exploration is better in Fenyx because there is more to do and find. BOTW has a poo poo ton of empty space. I think BOTW has a slightly larger oveworld and definitely more variance in types of terrain.
BOTW armor changes what terrain you can wander around in, hot or cold, basically and has some combat bonuses. Fenyx is only combat bonuses.
Puzzles are a toss up. I think it is a matter of preference. I think Fenyx has fewer annoying puzzles. BOTW has a bunch that you know what to do, but are frustrating to actually do due to controls or system jankiness.

Overall, Fenyx is the much better game. They are rightly comparable. Fenyx is BOTW, but more so, is a very fair description.

If you like BOTW, you will probably like Fenyx. But going to BOTW after Fenyx will likely seem very dull.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ubisoft games are often mechanically sound, only their structure can lead to burnout if you try getting the platinum. Games like Horizon are smarter about doling out their content over their runtime instead of feeling too overwhelmed.

There are 282 unique pieces of loot, half of which is strictly cosmetic variants. I think this is far better than having a Diablo system of random crap, or Zelda's iinsistince on swords being nade of chocolate.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If the season pass was 20 I'd get it. 40 is crazy for what will amount to 25% as much content as the main game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dont think any Ubisoft dlc has been worth it. At best its more of the same, at worst it turns your gay character straight.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Rinkles posted:

i don't think they're really the same kind of game. in BOTW i wanted to explore for the sake of it. to me, and a lot of people but not everyone, BOTW is kind of special in that it manages to be much more than the sum of its parts because of the atmosphere and how well crafted the world is. in this one i just want to move from quest marker to quest marker as fast as possible to check things off the list and get bigger stats or a new helmet or whatever. i don't care about seeing more of the world at all.

imo you should play BOTW, if you love it there's nothing quite like playing it for the first time. it's the only open world game i've given a poo poo about the world in since gta san andreas.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeahhhh, IFR has nothing on BOTW. BOTW is leagues ahead. There may be some minor gameplay improvements IFR made with the benefit of coming 3 years after BOTW, but BOTW remains one of the greatest games of all time. It's far, far more than the sum of its parts. It's a completely engaging immersive world, with moments of real beauty and awe. IFR is a clunky-looking BOTW wannabe. It's a 3D explorable checklist with 3 or 4 loud faux-Greek dudes yelling quips at the player constantly

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I should've done Athena's missions earlier. She buffs archery and gives you one of the better phosphors (heals you), unless those are randomized.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fenyx is just a better BOTW. It uses its space a whole lot more better than Zelda did. About 10 hours into BOTW the awe had worn out when I realized that there was shitloads of empty space in the game that often lead to one of three things: a shrine, a town or a stable. If you were lucky you'd come across one of the greater faeries. You could find cute little nothing puzzles but they are rarely engaging and the simple combat on top of the weapon degradation system made me not want to engage with it. It's the kind of game that was tailor made for seeing gifs of people use the power system in neat ways that you'd never be able to pull off. Having a denser and more compact world is definitely a boon.

The only thing BOTW has over Fenyx is shield surfing - now that's something more games need to have.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

If Fenyx's story wasn't so in your face I'd definitely rate it above BOTW but I can't even recommend this game to people because the sense of humor really is a barrier to get past for the opening hours.

Otherwise it's a fantastic game just... in spite of the voice work and jokes.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there a way to play this game with no voice? This 'funny' dialog is loving garbage.

Edit: Counterpoint- Fenyx rising's control is floaty and slipshod, the "HERE'S WHERE YOU NEED TO GO NEXT, ON YOUR MAP, HERE" is counterproductive to discovery through exploration, the animations are ok but not great, the menu controls on a console controller are complete garbage and obviously built with a mouse in mind, the tutorials don't exist unless you go to said menus, etc etc.

So far it's 4 out of 10 for me. Meh.

Edit:

Hedrigall posted:

Yeahhhh, IFR has nothing on BOTW. BOTW is leagues ahead. There may be some minor gameplay improvements IFR made with the benefit of coming 3 years after BOTW, but BOTW remains one of the greatest games of all time. It's far, far more than the sum of its parts. It's a completely engaging immersive world, with moments of real beauty and awe. IFR is a clunky-looking BOTW wannabe. It's a 3D explorable checklist with 3 or 4 loud faux-Greek dudes yelling quips at the player constantly

Yeah that about sums it up. I should have waited for another couple weeks of reviews before I wasted my money.

edit 2: BOTW philosophy - Show don't tell. Find things your own way! FR philosophy - Go to these spots, dummies! Here's some lovely voice acting while you do that!

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 1, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
BOTW does the same thing. Climb something, look around, put marker on your map to go to shrine or some interesting spot, repeat.

Fenyx is just a little smoother doing the exact same thing.

And Fenyx does have stuff to find exploring that doesn't show up on maps. Actually explore and you'll find stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Miniscule warning: it seems photomode photos aren't saved to your drive if you don't use your console's screenshot function. There'll only be an online copy (which you can screenshot). Iirc, that's not how it worked for Odyssey.

This is on PS5, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Is there something similar to the Hero’s Path from BoTW in IFR?