Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People are going to die while some maga creep no-shows his specially scheduled appointment and they chuck his vaccine into the trash bin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
I’m sure the rate of people intending to get this vaccine will increase as time goes by and no major issues pop up, but I can’t see the take-up rate getting as high as it needs to be to achieve herd immunity in any country that isn’t forcing its citizens to get it.

I don’t know if this makes me a covidiot, but I don’t think I’m going to be terribly enthusiastic about maintaining public health measures and refraining from doing the things I want to do when the reasoning changes from “protect the most vulnerable and keep hospitals from being overrun while we wait for a vaccine” to “this group of imbeciles thinks they know better than the scientists that produced the vaccine, so you still can’t see your family or friends or do anything fun even though you and everyone you know has been vaccinated.”

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So in other words, the translation for this is that EMTs are no longer transporting lost causes to the hospital just to humor loved ones because it'd just be a waste of resources?

It’s mostly just that the most important part of a resuscitation is the first 15-20 minutes and rather than forsake the quality of the chest compressions during transport its best to hold tight and do continuous high quality CPR, defibrillate and medicate as necessary. Cardiac arrest care is pretty simple in what has been proven to work and is largely uniform until poo poo gets weird (third trimester arrest, serious metabolic imbalances etc).

ALS systems carry all the equipment and drugs to effectively work a resuscitation in the field.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fallom posted:

People are going to die while some maga creep no-shows his specially scheduled appointment and they chuck his vaccine into the trash bin

Would you describe a pregnant asian nurse who knows that the safety trials didn't include any pregnant women at all and underrepresented asians as a "maga chud" because she doesn't trust the Trump CDC and HHS people that it's totally fine anyway just trust us

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

Would you describe a pregnant asian nurse who knows that the safety trials didn't include any pregnant women at all and underrepresented asians as a "maga chud" because she doesn't trust the Trump CDC and HHS people that it's totally fine anyway just trust us

Pregnancy is an edge case in general particularly with frontline healthcare workers during a pandemic.

On a separate note said poster also said 'his' so if this is a specific derail about discrimination against trans men anti-vaxxers I appreciate your laser focus. But then you said 'women' so I doubt it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

how many Q groups is she subscribed to?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Fallom posted:

Why would she schedule the appointment in the first place?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Pregnancy is an edge case in general particularly with frontline healthcare workers during a pandemic.

Yeah they picked the pregnant lady to speak to, which feels a bit of a weird choice given the more likely groups of larger people of similar thought process refusing vaccination.

It's like they picked the one group that has a truly reasonable reason for avoiding the vaccine at this moment in comparison to the many other, much larger, groups of anti-vaxxers, right wing nuts, and religious exemptions.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah they picked the pregnant lady to speak to, which feels a bit of a weird choice given the more likely groups of larger people of similar thought process refusing vaccination.

It's like they picked the one group that has a truly reasonable reason for avoiding the vaccine at this moment in comparison to the many other, much larger, groups of anti-vaxxers, right wing nuts, and religious exemptions.

The Pfizer EUA just says to talk to your doctor if you're pregnant but the Moderna one actually mentions that it was tested in rats who were pregnant or wanted to become pregnant and found to not cause issues. There's also a phone number (1-866-663-3762) for people who were pregnant and got the Moderna vaccine so we should have some information soon.

But yeah there are some people who might want to "talk to their doctor" about the vaccines. Those are by and large not the chuds/Qs/wackos refusing to take them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

looking at the vaccine acceptance poo poo and the variant in the uk, level with me

this poo poo is never going to be over, is it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

7of7 posted:

the Moderna one actually mentions that it was tested in rats who were pregnant or wanted to become pregnant and found to not cause issues

lol

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1344856151444377600

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Saros posted:

How much of that is going to people who have had covid and are delaying the vaccine to allow others to get it.

I've been wondering this, pretty much everyone I know in health care has already had covid or is extremely surprised that they haven't had it yet. idk what percent of health care workers have had it, but it's got to be pretty high. I also wouldn't be surprised if you had younger, healthy workers holding off so older/higher risk groups can get vaccinated... but who the gently caress knows. Americans do love a conspiracy.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 1, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Despite my urging cautious interpretation last week, looks like the new variant is in fact very transmissible
https://twitter.com/profshanecrotty/status/1344455909880172545?s=19

Are the vaccines available effective against the new variant?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Willo567 posted:

Are the vaccines available effective against the new variant?

All reports I've read say yes.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Why does the news keep saying new strain?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I believe it has mutated to be easier to spread, but the spike protein (what binds to your cells and what your immune system looks for) is unchanged.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Because they want you to tune in and watch pill commercials during the breaks.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

looking at the vaccine acceptance poo poo and the variant in the uk, level with me

this poo poo is never going to be over, is it

What do you define as over?

COVID is gone? lmao no, never. Too much spread, probably has some wildlife reservoir at this point. My guess is rabbits, even if they're getting nailed with Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease in the US. Humans can easily stew it around enough anyway.

We vaccinate for it yearly to biyearly and it adds ~2-5% to the yearly death total? That's what I expect. 50 years from now it'll become one of the common colds with little mortality.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Because people are bad at science, but also

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Because they want you to tune in and watch pill commercials during the breaks.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
wait a friend of mine told me that in some areas there's enough boomers refusing the vaccine in large enough numbers that vaccine doses are expiring unused? is this true? because if so holy poo poo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kanine posted:

wait a friend of mine told me that in some areas there's enough boomers refusing the vaccine in large enough numbers that vaccine doses are expiring unused? is this true? because if so holy poo poo

My uncle who works at Nintendo says he saw it, so it must be true.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kanine posted:

Unless this friend in question is personally employed in moving or dispensing the vaccine, assume they heard it from someone who's falling for online propaganda and/or trolling.

There might be a lot of things that divide us as a nation, but there is no more celebrated and cherished notion in this country than "gently caress you, got mine." :smug:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there any reason to believe that things will get better this year under biden regarding covid or should i resign myself to doomerism

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kanine posted:

is there any reason to believe that things will get better this year under biden regarding covid or should i resign myself to doomerism

He'll undoubtedly not gently caress up vaccine acquisition and distribution as much.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kanine posted:

If you think Biden can convince antivax Qanon believing Trump supporters to get a shot and improve the distribution chain within three months of taking office (and that Trump won't sabotage some other vital infrastructure before loving off forever), sure it'll be awesome, punch and pie and hookers and blow for everyone, maskless.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kanine posted:

“If we all boycott gas on one day, the oil companies will choke on their stockpiles.“

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

HelloSailorSign posted:

We vaccinate for it yearly to biyearly and it adds ~2-5% to the yearly death total? That's what I expect. 50 years from now it'll become one of the common colds with little mortality.
Isn't it already, in that sense? Something like 20% of common colds are coronaviruses.

I recall hearing a theory that having had one of those common colds recently gave some protection against Covid-19. And that could potentially explain some weird observations about lower than expected infectiousness among children. Has there been anything more concrete on that?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

What do you define as over?

COVID is gone? lmao no, never. Too much spread, probably has some wildlife reservoir at this point. My guess is rabbits, even if they're getting nailed with Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease in the US. Humans can easily stew it around enough anyway.

Maybe, but the vaccine design is completely new and extremely targeted at the specific piece that makes the virus able to get into the cell wall. That supposedly makes it much more likely to catch new variants. It's pretty exciting tech - if it works the way we expect it to, I could see a future where we don't just kill this specific coronavirus, but all of them.

Feel free to call me a naïve optimist.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Arcsquad12 posted:

With how lol the vaccine sites have been in the USA and how half assed its been here in Ontario I'm curious how well the rollouts have been going in Europe. Can anyone shine a light on how your countries have been administering doses?

I'm in Bahrain. You can sign up on the official covid tracking and test data app for either the Pfizer or Sinopharm vaccines, they call you within 24 hours and tell you what hospital to go to, and you just go in and get it for free.

I got a call within 3 hours, took about 5 mins to get in and out of the hospital they sent me to.

The original plan was going to be "just show up at any hospital asap" but it turns out people here actually want to get vaccinated, so they switched back to appointments after getting swamped for a day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm in Bahrain. You can sign up on the official covid tracking and test data app for either the Pfizer or Sinopharm vaccines, they call you within 24 hours and tell you what hospital to go to, and you just go in and get it for free.

I got a call within 3 hours, took about 5 mins to get in and out of the hospital they sent me to.

The original plan was going to be "just show up at any hospital asap" but it turns out people here actually want to get vaccinated, so they switched back to appointments after getting swamped for a day.

You're definitely the exception. As a percentage of population, you're second only to Israel for vaccinations completed:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

Most of Europe is... Not great.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Last I heard we (Australia) were to going to watch the UK roll out the vaccine and see if anything particularly horrible happens to them, before starting it up ourselves around March.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Lone Badger posted:

Last I heard we (Australia) were to going to watch the UK roll out the vaccine and see if anything particularly horrible happens to them, before starting it up ourselves around March.

Its the colonial equivalent of lettig the olds get the vaccine first

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

St. Dogbert posted:

I don’t know if this makes me a covidiot, but I don’t think I’m going to be terribly enthusiastic about maintaining public health measures and refraining from doing the things I want to do when the reasoning changes from “protect the most vulnerable and keep hospitals from being overrun while we wait for a vaccine” to “this group of imbeciles thinks they know better than the scientists that produced the vaccine, so you still can’t see your family or friends or do anything fun even though you and everyone you know has been vaccinated.”

For what it's worth, I don't think that makes you a covidiot. We've now established beyond a shadow of a doubt that we aren't going to be able to vaccinate enough people to break the back of this thing thanks to the antivaxxers, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if HelloSailorSign were right about the animal reservoirs. The sad reality is that thanks to how catastrophically this has been mismanaged, we can only protect our vulnerable populations so far. This virus is with us for the rest of time, and unfortunately it's just going to be yet another awful thing that immunocompromised people are jeopardized by.

Do your part by getting vaccinated and maintaining that vaccination status: don't let it slip! At that point, yeah, resume your normal life - if you can wear a mask in public, too, that seems like the compassionate thing to do.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
...And now the UK variant has been found in a third state (FL).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Time to enact the bugs bunny florida.gif protocol

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Here's a strange question:

Is there any literature or research that says you shouldn't get two different vaccines for the same disease? I know mRNA vaccines are sort of new territory, but I'm curious.

Right now in the UAE, the Sinopharm vaccine is readily available. There is a wait list for the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine. I'm a teacher, and we're scheduled somewhere in the 3rd big group of people who the vaccine will be available for, but who knows what timeline.

I've been reading up on the Sinopharm vaccine and it seems to be about as effective, though the full data from the phase 3 trials has not been made available, so some people are skeptical. It also seems like there is some intuitive skepticism/bias because it is being produced and distributed by a Chinese company.

I'm wondering if for future travel concerns/immunization records the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines will have a higher 'status.' If that's the case, then it might make sense to get the Sinopharm vaccine ASAP for safety sake. After that, would there be any concern/problem with getting a second vaccine later on?

Anybody well-read on the Sinopharm vaccine or have opinions on it?

Thanks!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Small White Dragon posted:

...And now the UK variant has been found in a third state (FL).

Oh awesome. My uncle and his kid and the kid’s mom went to Florida Christmas weekend just because they could. My sisters tell me the mother hosted a New Year’s Eve party as evident by all the pictures coming out on Facebook.

The mom is a chud which tells you everything you need to know about her.

My uncle is an idiot who while he takes precautions, thinks that outdoor dining in those fully enclosed tents with other customers are safe because “why would they (“the CDC”) let them open up if it weren’t?”

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 1, 2021

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Gstu posted:

Here's a strange question:

Is there any literature or research that says you shouldn't get two different vaccines for the same disease? I know mRNA vaccines are sort of new territory, but I'm curious.

Right now in the UAE, the Sinopharm vaccine is readily available. There is a wait list for the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine. I'm a teacher, and we're scheduled somewhere in the 3rd big group of people who the vaccine will be available for, but who knows what timeline.

I've been reading up on the Sinopharm vaccine and it seems to be about as effective, though the full data from the phase 3 trials has not been made available, so some people are skeptical. It also seems like there is some intuitive skepticism/bias because it is being produced and distributed by a Chinese company.

I'm wondering if for future travel concerns/immunization records the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines will have a higher 'status.' If that's the case, then it might make sense to get the Sinopharm vaccine ASAP for safety sake. After that, would there be any concern/problem with getting a second vaccine later on?

Anybody well-read on the Sinopharm vaccine or have opinions on it?

Thanks!
The CDC in the US has warned against mixing vaccines due to the lack of data. For other diseases my understanding is it's not usually dangerous and sometimes even done deliberately for additional benefit.

The thing about the Sinopharm vaccine is that the company hasn't published their Phase 3 trial data so nobody can even scrutinize it to see if it's dodgy or not.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably take the Sinopharm vaccine -- given that you're presumably exposed on a regular basis to members of the public -- and then wait for some data to show the impact of vaccine mixing before deciding whether to supplement it with the Pfizer/Moderna.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Dave posted:

I know someone that is a firefighter in PA that got vaccinated. Who knows.

Very recently the PA dept of health said something to the effect that all hospitals had to reserve 10% of their doses for EMS and first responders, not just their own staff. Maybe that's how they're getting it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ravenfood posted:

Very recently the PA dept of health said something to the effect that all hospitals had to reserve 10% of their doses for EMS and first responders, not just their own staff. Maybe that's how they're getting it?

Here in SC, EMS and fire department personnel who directly do patient care (which most do) are in phase 1A. Police and non-patient care personnel fall into phase 1B which hasn’t yet begun.