Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

You say that about Disney, but line up to get the McRib. Can't wait for Taco Bell to bring back the Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme for A LIMITED TIME ONLY.

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
How else did you think Taco Bell won the Franchisde Wars?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

rotinaj posted:

I shudder to think how many consignment shops and dumps are gonna be getting hundreds of thousands of VHS tapes of movies from the 80s and 90s in the next five to fifteen years. How many Boomer houses currently have an entire wall of vhses and dvds that nobody is going to watch again or touch for more than a minute when the Boomer croaks?

They end up in rural Canada and you see them when staying at a cottage or staying at some small resort. Most places don't have internet or OTA TV signal and if its raining you'll likely want something to watch.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Wow this thread has done an incredible job at proving my point about CA hate, nicely done goons! :thumbsup:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's called "Cali", Play

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'll cop to falling for the Shamrock Shakes even though they're just vanilla with a little mint syrup

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Bonzo posted:

They end up in rural Canada and you see them when staying at a cottage or staying at some small resort. Most places don't have internet or OTA TV signal and if its raining you'll likely want something to watch.

Ok but even then surely you'd prefer DVDs?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
People who hate on California are just jealous

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sure but who wouldn't be jelly of californians' ability have a barbecue at a moment's notice wherever they happen to be standing

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Sure but who wouldn't be jelly of californians' ability have a barbecue at a moment's notice wherever they happen to be standing

HAVE BBQ and GET BQQed two very different things.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

*looks outside at mountain of snow*

Is this a joke? Are you joking? If want the BBQ.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its 60 degrees f rn where i am, too cold for a bbq

(a decade of living in san diego and then moving to a place w veery marginally worse weather has turned my complainingaboutweather skills to its ultimate godly expression. i can complain about way better weather than any human alive on this terribly-beweathered-earth like a spoiled whiny brat)

(i have been trained in complainingaboutweather by a russian jewish greatest gen who lived in san diego and specialized in complaining about everything. i cannot better my master but i can outcomplain all of you)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 1, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TheKennedys posted:

there's a dude at work who I genuinely like as a person but holy gently caress he's almost pathologically incapable of turning off that tone of voice and it drives me up a wall. genuine compliments come off as sarcastic and meaningless and it's impossible to feel like he's actually listening to what you say. the only way he stops is if he thinks he genuinely hurt someone's feelings and even then it's very, very awkward to hear him try to be serious because it sounds forced

A friend told me an amusing boot camp story about a guy there who sounded sarcastic 100% of the time and got in tons of trouble because of it and it wasn't until halfway during their stay that the instructors realized that he wasn't being sarcastic and it was just the guy's natural speech cadence.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
wait a friend of mine told me that in some areas there's enough boomers refusing the vaccine in large enough numbers that vaccine doses are expiring unused? is this true? because if so holy poo poo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Kanine posted:

wait a friend of mine told me that in some areas there's enough boomers refusing the vaccine in large enough numbers that vaccine doses are expiring unused? is this true? because if so holy poo poo

The worrying thing isn't dumb assholes dying it's their families who listen to them or don't have a choice. I doubt they're denying vaccines in massive numbers though. Who knows though. gently caress.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kanine posted:

It's also that the distribution systems were not given enough guidance or direction, because the entire administration has checked out and are trying to figure out how to snap off keys in locks, and fill doorjambs with superglue before they get kicked out

If there was a functioning federal government, then perhaps some aspect of this disaster could have been averted

Perhaps

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Outrail posted:

Blu-ray? Is that still a thing? I don't think I've ever actually seen something played on a Blu-ray player.

It's basically a niche market for film nerds at this point but yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Physical media has its perks in the era of streaming services basically being a game of roulette. Especially outside the USA.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I entered the thread on this page and uuuuh, that's some posts alright I'll come back later I guess

Edit: I was actually looking at an older page nevermind

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Lib and let die posted:

I think the thing that tilts me the most is that he knows that my job is "computers", but he will spend an entire evening doing nothing but raging against computers and technology, how bad they are, how nothing is simple anymore because of them, how we should just get rid of all of them, and I'm just kind of like "ok cool so i guess your daughter and i will be homeless when we delete technology and i have no meaningful income?"

i'd start making GBS threads on like, transmissions or whatever (he was a builder, and Very Important and The Best Builder before he retired) but a, i don't know enough about them and b, i realize that they will be part of any automotive thing for a very long time probably so i don't really have anything mean to say about them because they're kind of essential to engines doing what they do for vehicles and poo poo and c it's just not worth the frustration of trying to get him to see anything but the backside of his own sphincter.

I have quite a bit of experience building transmissions, and to be quite truthful, old-school automatic transmissions are just very very finicky mechanical computers.

Transmission design is like 1000x better now that computers decide how and when to shift; the things that people bitch about are generally because automakers program the loving things to get .001 better MPG and not ‘hey, this drives great’. Or bean-counter idiocy, but that’s never going away, either.

There were a few irritating teething problems during the period where electronics were basically scabbed onto previously-designed mechanically-shifted transmissions, but newer stuff is so much easier to deal with when you can watch all inputs/outputs on a scanner to catch a problem.

On a personal level, when I was a teenager first diagnosing and working on cars, the old fuckers were like ‘blasted computers, just take it all off and put a Holley on it, blah blah blah’, when anyone with three brain cells could see that this was the wave of the future and as a mechanic, you’d better learn how to fix it or watch your knowledge become useless. Now I’m old, but I still make every effort to keep abreast of new technologies and developments because nothing ever stays the same. So many boomers never accepted this.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

JnnyThndrs posted:

On a personal level, when I was a teenager first diagnosing and working on cars, the old fuckers were like ‘blasted computers, just take it all off and put a Holley on it, blah blah blah’, when anyone with three brain cells could see that this was the wave of the future and as a mechanic, you’d better learn how to fix it or watch your knowledge become useless. Now I’m old, but I still make every effort to keep abreast of new technologies and developments because nothing ever stays the same. So many boomers never accepted this.

My uncle and grandfather were auto mechanics and went from making decent money to being basically unable to work on cars built after like 1995. My uncle is still muddling along but makes more off his CDL than his entire auto garage. OBDII Scans are massively useful but my uncle hasn’t kept up beyond that.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

We're so jealous of California, the state all the people bitching about it currently live in. We wish our state, California, were more like your state, California-but-you-commit-to-ignoring-or-excusing-all-of-its-problems. Also we say cali, nails on the chalkboard to people who use 'hella' in unironic conversation.

One of the only 10/50 states to have banned affirmative action, first in the nation to do so tied with Texas (our opposite), and just reaffirmed its commitment to white supremacy with a vote total of over a million more votes than could be attributed to just Trump voters. Likewise, based on the vote totals, millions of lib voters supported creating a new underclass of un-worker, which is already gearing up to be replicated nationwide because we don't want to pay three bucks more for a cab ride. But it could be worse lots of places are hosed up and we wouldn't want to live in some chud state like Texas where people are racists... openly.

But hey, we get first crack at the Central Valley's rock-hard flavorless big-ag tomatoes and blueberries found in literally every grocery store in the nation. Farmed by what is essentially slave labor and unsustainable water waste in a tinderbox state. But there are other slaves to deal with the fires. So what are we even complaining about.

Oh yea 4 of the 6 lynchings of black people this summer during the protests. Other two were in Texas, which again, is our opposite. They're bad chuds and we're woke libs. But I can go from the beach to the mountains in the same day, because we're unaware the east coast also has mountains lying along its, uh, coast line.

It also never gets cold here, because why would anyone want cold and snow in their lives! https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ountain-highway Why, in other states, for a part of the year, you have to put on a coat and hat just to be perfectly comfortable!

Obsesssion with preserving an imagined 1960s suburb paradise, licking the rear end of the wealthy and hating the poor, reifying segregation in YOOL 2020, justifying it all with access to mass-produced creature comforts and insulating against criticism with a studied bad faith ignorance of the alternatives. Anyway, enough of this derail, lets get back to talking about what Boomers are like.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 1, 2021

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

rotinaj posted:

It's also that the distribution systems were not given enough guidance or direction, because the entire administration has checked out and are trying to figure out how to snap off keys in locks, and fill doorjambs with superglue before they get kicked out

If there was a functioning federal government, then perhaps some aspect of this disaster could have been averted

Perhaps

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/12/30/covid-in-wisconsin-health-officials-say-worker-deliberately-spoiled-vaccine/

No it's also chuds deliberately sabotaging the pandemic response because it doesn't jibe with the Q-fueled mind palace they left reality for years ago.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PipHelix posted:

We're so jealous of California, the state all the people bitching about it currently live in. We wish our state, California, were more like your state, California-but-you-commit-to-ignoring-or-excusing-all-of-its-problems. Also we say cali, nails on the chalkboard to people who use 'hella' in unironic conversation.

One of the only 10/50 states to have banned affirmative action, first in the nation to do so tied with Texas (our opposite), and just reaffirmed its commitment to white supremacy with a vote total of over a million more votes than could be attributed to just Trump voters. Likewise, based on the vote totals, millions of lib voters supported creating a new underclass of un-worker, which is already gearing up to be replicated nationwide because we don't want to pay three bucks more for a cab ride. But it could be worse lots of places are hosed up and we wouldn't want to live in some chud state like Texas where people are racists... openly.

But hey, we get first crack at the Central Valley's rock-hard flavorless big-ag tomatoes and blueberries found in literally every grocery store in the nation. Farmed by what is essentially slave labor and unsustainable water waste in a tinderbox state. But there are other slaves to deal with the fires. So what are we even complaining about.

Oh yea 4 of the 6 lynchings of black people this summer during the protests. Other two were in Texas, which again, is our opposite. They're bad chuds and we're woke libs. But I can go from the beach to the mountains in the same day, because we're unaware the east coast also has mountains lying along its, uh, coast line.

It also never gets cold here, because why would anyone want cold and snow in their lives! https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ountain-highway Why, in other states, for a part of the year, you have to put on a coat and hat just to be perfectly comfortable!

Obsesssion with preserving an imagined 1960s suburb paradise, licking the rear end of the wealthy and hating the poor, reifying segregation in YOOL 2020, justifying it all with access to mass-produced creature comforts and insulating against criticism with a studied bad faith ignorance of the alternatives. Anyway, enough of this derail, lets get back to talking about what Boomers are like.

It’s called “Cali”

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

California Über Alles

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PipHelix posted:

sir this is an in-and-out

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sir this is an in-and-out

Oh man. That's its own derail. https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/17/deaaron-fox-in-n-out-burger-overrated-kings

Anyway, as to Boomers:
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1345009004179841024
I am fully unable to parse if this is a legitimate complaint or an ironic 'could be worse, eh? eh?.' Hard to believe but I understand some sicko pervs out there actually like their parents.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

PipHelix posted:

Oh man. That's its own derail. https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/17/deaaron-fox-in-n-out-burger-overrated-kings

Anyway, as to Boomers:
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1345009004179841024
I am fully unable to parse if this is a legitimate complaint or an ironic 'could be worse, eh? eh?.' Hard to believe but I understand some sicko pervs out there actually like their parents.

If you read a single other one of the guy’s tweets it’s pretty obvious he’s not thrilled with much of anything about how the trump administration has handled anything

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Penguissimo posted:

If you read a single other one of the guy’s tweets it’s pretty obvious he’s not thrilled with much of anything about how the trump administration has handled anything

Too much like homework. I skim twitter for one-liners by comedians I like from outside twitter and try not to learn a thing about anyone else on there.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I spent many years in CA and it's great. Screw you boomers.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my point is that its not uniformly great, and saying "california" says surprisingly little about where you live

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my point is that its not uniformly great, and saying "california" says surprisingly little about where you live

Well, it does narrow it down to somewhere in Cali.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Outrail posted:

The worrying thing isn't dumb assholes dying it's their families who listen to them or don't have a choice. I doubt they're denying vaccines in massive numbers though. Who knows though. gently caress.

Also worrying that, as a higher risk group, not getting the vaccine means a rash of infections could end up overwhelming hospitals as they take up all the rooms.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

PipHelix posted:

'
Too much like homework. I skim twitter for one-liners by comedians I like from outside twitter and try not to learn a thing about anyone else on there.
Fair enough, and this is actually the logical endpoint of the mode of communication Twitter is constructed around, so...props?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In N Out is great. It took me a few trips to really appreciate them. It's just a simple, "clean" burger. I do think they're overhyped, but I think that comes from the decades before there was serious competition. Being only in a few Southwestern states also adds to the mystique. It is really nice to have one within fifteen minutes of any major direction. I had a good laugh a couple years ago when it made national news that a fully intact In N Out burger was randomly found on a New York street.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Detective No. 27 posted:

I had a good laugh a couple years ago when it made national news that a fully intact In N Out burger was randomly found on a New York street.

Was there any reason? Weird ARG?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Outrail posted:

Was there any reason? Weird ARG?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pajjwk/i-found-nycs-in-n-out-burger-and-solved-the-mystery-of-how-it-got-there

A high school girl from California brought it with her and it must have fallen out of her bag at one point.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

California Über Alles

All hail the Bay-Arean Master Race.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

In-n-out fries are a fuckin travesty, even if you get them well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014