Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pretty irresponsible to keep it in such a small cage. Also that's well below minimum fence height for a lizard of that size so it's definitely going to escape and eat some small fat child eating a half melted ice cream while it's larger fatter mother uselessly shrieks in the background.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Outrail posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a three way bridge before.

Japanese had at least one in the mid-40's but turns out, its also pretty nifty landmark to drop a bomb on.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

thread needs a theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYE-1HfReQo

also yes the giant bass pro shop pyramid is a real place (its also a hotel)

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

limp_cheese posted:

A friend of mine went to visit some family in Alabama and decided to pick up a souvenir for me on the way back. I cannot stress this enough this occurred in like 2012 and I never asked for them.

I loved it because of how unbelievably awful these things are and are still being sold in the south in the modern USA.

I never used them and they have since broken into pieces from falling behind my stove.

You had these on display in your kitchen for years before they broke?

"Hey everyone look at these racist figurines! Aren't they just awful? Tell your friends to come over so they can look at at all these racist things I own! Wow, these are just sooo racist. Maybe I can hang a Nazi flag up behind them, wouldn't that just be so awful?"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

"Hey everyone look at these racist figurines! Aren't they just awful? Tell your friends to come over so they can look at at all these racist things I own! Wow, these are just sooo racist. Maybe I can hang a Nazi flag up behind them, wouldn't that just be so awful?"

is there a goal behind assuming the absolute loving worst you possibly can of someone, then taking it a step beyond to assume that they are in fact worse than you initially imagined? because i've always been curious about the game theory behind posts like these, they are absolutely everywhere on the forum and they have never been funny, helpful, or constructive. i honestly don't get it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who read that post and immediately thought this.

"No, I'm not racist. I'm displaying them ironically."

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Enfys posted:

are the fluorescent lights meant to be cow teats or am I just being crazy

This is in Canada.

Highly overrated.

Dr.D-O fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 21, 2022

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Grandpa's Cheesebarn is real good if you happen to be driving across Ohio on I-71. We stop there on the way home every time we go to visit my in-laws, because it's about halfway between Rochester and Indianapolis and you can get a free meal out of all the samples.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Coolguye posted:

is there a goal behind assuming the absolute loving worst you possibly can of someone, then taking it a step beyond to assume that they are in fact worse than you initially imagined? because i've always been curious about the game theory behind posts like these, they are absolutely everywhere on the forum and they have never been funny, helpful, or constructive. i honestly don't get it.

curious about the answer as well

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I did have them in my kitchen for a few years. I guess it was an ironic thing that thankfully never turned into something real. Never felt anything when they broke and realized I was better for it. I think my rationale was a reminder that even in the modern "post-racism" world of the early 2010s the USA is still incredibly racist and people don't think twice about selling those things.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

limp_cheese posted:

I did have them in my kitchen for a few years. I guess it was an ironic thing that thankfully never turned into something real. Never felt anything when they broke and realized I was better for it. I think my rationale was a reminder that even in the modern "post-racism" world of the early 2010s the USA is still incredibly racist and people don't think twice about selling those things.

Wow, you are literally Hitler. I’m shaking right now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

china bot posted:

they turned a decommissioned nike missile base in my hometown into a park with a clever name

I recently watched the new episode of Hamilton's Pharmacopeia, where the discoverer and originator of using Bufo toads to harvest and smoke 5-meo-dmt, 'Albert Best', had purchased an entire Nike missile base in Texas in order to live there and search for secret tunnels underneath it.

If that isn't Americana I don't know what is

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Outrail posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a three way bridge before.

It's not America, but this was going to be the Sydney harbour bridge, can you imagine the hellworld inside that middle tower?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Ball's Head, now that's Americana Australiana

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
There’s a place near where I live that fits this in Canada it’s called the log barn, I’m on mobile but it’s a fruit stand place that has goats, dinosaur statues, dragon statues, just the dumbest random poo poo to get people to pull off.

Also there was one of the flinstone parks in the okanagan as well I remember going to it as a kid

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Coolguye posted:

How else will anyone know how much better and more woke the poster is without insane unasked for virtue signalling? It's basically ruined the forums.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

limp_cheese posted:

In Houston I was doing some work for a company and one of the jobs was at this older black couples house.
The husband was an old preacher I believe and he had 2 glass cabinets *or curios as he called them.
loving full to the brim there had to have been 500 easy of those Precious moments dolls/ figurines. *except of course all these were black instead of the typical white ones.

Anyways dude had probably 20ish just like the picture you posted. The job was to box and move all that stuff. I remember distinctly holding one and being like "wow this is offensive as gently caress."
I really wanted to ask the guy why he had them or what his thoughts on them were but I never asked.

They not only ugly as gently caress but also pretty racist.
So being made/sold in the deep South checks out

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Outrail posted:

Pretty irresponsible to keep it in such a small cage. Also that's well below minimum fence height for a lizard of that size so it's definitely going to escape and eat some small fat child eating a half melted ice cream while it's larger fatter mother uselessly shrieks in the background.

Don't worry they got him chained up as well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Zugzwang posted:

It was fine. How's the Indian pizza? Never heard of such a thing.
The Indian pizza at one of the half-dozen Indian places in my Central Illinois hometown (also home to State Farm Corporate Headquarters, home itself to enough Indian immigrants to have a cricket league in town if you were wondering how we have six Indian restaurants) was an interesting mixed bag. I did not try all the flavors while they were still making it at the buffet, but the "literally chicken tandoori with like tikka masala sauce on naan" was.... ...... well. Exactly as delicious as eating those three things in conjunction normally was. So I can imagine why they stopped because you might as well just put some stuff on the naan yourself

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Straddling the cursed-blessed line like a pro.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

:3:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

I love it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

How else will anyone know how much better and more woke the poster is without insane unasked for virtue signalling? It's basically ruined the forums.

It may be difficult to imagine, but some people honestly believe that racism is a bad thing and are sick of the complacency and "irony" around the topic.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a question regarding small town USA.

In Australia, most country towns, no matter how tiny, have a local Chinese restaurant. Run by a Chinese immigrant family, onto which the locals vent their outright racism or their "you're one of the good ones" passive racism.

Is it similar in America?

I have some coworkers from the small town midwest who didn't see a non-white person until their mid-teens. I don't know if you could still have that experience if you were born in 2020, though. Even amish country is dotted with the occasional midwestmex restaurant.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Achewood’s “Everything I draw looks like a dick” comes to mind.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Sentinel posted:

In Houston I was doing some work for a company and one of the jobs was at this older black couples house.
The husband was an old preacher I believe and he had 2 glass cabinets *or curios as he called them.
loving full to the brim there had to have been 500 easy of those Precious moments dolls/ figurines. *except of course all these were black instead of the typical white ones.

Anyways dude had probably 20ish just like the picture you posted. The job was to box and move all that stuff. I remember distinctly holding one and being like "wow this is offensive as gently caress."
I really wanted to ask the guy why he had them or what his thoughts on them were but I never asked.

They not only ugly as gently caress but also pretty racist.
So being made/sold in the deep South checks out

I read once, and am assuming is true, that Oprah Winfrey has the worlds largest collection of antique blackface curios and knickknacks and such. The pictures accompanying the article showed some pretty horribly offensive poo poo - think worse than the ‘Coon’s Chicken’ poster from Ghost World. The thought that they’re still making a lot of it is pretty terrible.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

TheAardvark posted:

Beef they literally quoted a post of mine saying i was interested in Other Country equivalents. R>C>P!!!!!!!

Though at this point it might be a good idea for a separate thread ("small town life in Other Country thread" or something. I'd love to go trawling through small town Sweden or whatever

Have you ever wanted to see the world's largest Dala-horse? Well, rural Sweden has you covered.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Americana and everything rural is better than any amusement park.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

greazeball posted:

It may be difficult to imagine, but some people honestly believe that racism is a bad thing and are sick of the complacency and "irony" around the topic.

Thank god for you goon sir. You single handily ended racism by shitposting on the SA forums.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Do it ironically posted:

Also there was one of the flinstone parks in the okanagan as well I remember going to it as a kid

Flintstone Park was in Chilliwack, and it was very very Americana. It's long gone now but the water slides are still there.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

Think of fellow posters as vultures just waiting for a piece of meat and it all makes sense. If no one is in the 'outgroup' then maybe everybody is :stare:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
This discussion is not very Americana, friends

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Play posted:

bad faith and accusations of bad faith is the only remaining american ethos and therefore is americana as hell hth

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Play posted:

:haibrower: knock it off

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Wait, hold on a second. Boiled peanuts?!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

You eat them shell and all. If done right, they can be pretty tasty. You see them all over the American southeast.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What's next? Mashed peanuts? Stewed peanuts?

Where does it end!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Now You're Snackin'!