Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Skwirl posted:

Comics speculators are, quite frankly, completely loving bonkers.

Remember when Joker's Daughter with lenticular cover was going for like, $50 because comics speculators were 100% sure she was going to be the next big character? poo poo, I even briefly considered buying a few copies and putting them on eBay, but I also figured I didn't want to be known as the person who bought multiple copies of Joker's Daughter. I like my local comic shop, I want to be able to show my face around there (as a figure of speech, not literally at the moment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Siegkrow posted:

N52 superman is younger, brasher, and a bit more relatable. He still is Good Guy supreme, but he at least feels like he would sit down with you for beers instead of giving you a warm cup of milk and sending you to bed.

He was also vegan, and refused to shoot people in video games.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

He was also vegan, and refused to shoot people in video games.

So he'd take you out for beer but it'd be an IPA with way too much loving hops.

catlord posted:

Remember when Joker's Daughter with lenticular cover was going for like, $50 because comics speculators were 100% sure she was going to be the next big character? poo poo, I even briefly considered buying a few copies and putting them on eBay, but I also figured I didn't want to be known as the person who bought multiple copies of Joker's Daughter. I like my local comic shop, I want to be able to show my face around there (as a figure of speech, not literally at the moment).

Back when I had more disposable income I once thought about just buying the first issue of every new Image book as they came out, under the theory that if even one of them became the next Walking Dead it would pay for the rest, then I realized if I actually owned a copy of Walking Dead #1 I would probably never sell it barring needing money for the hospital or to prevent eviction.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A rushed line-wide reboot that eliminated a lot of fan-favourite characters was a terrible idea but I don't think the comics from that New52 era were unusually bad, especially when you include some of the ones that started later like Grayson or Lemire's Green Arrow.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Demon Knights and I, Vampire were really good books that came out of 52. Swamp Thing and Animal Man were also really good until they got to their bloated crossover. Animal Man was especially great if you like body horror stuff.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

De-Powered Hipster Super-Bro was pretty awesome in concept riding around on a Harley, using strips of his cape as knuckle covers and fighting strips. Super classic "S" and shield design with some jeans and biker boots.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I've got a copy of Saga #1 that I'm probably never going to part with, even though it's going for a pretty decent amount.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A rushed line-wide reboot that eliminated a lot of fan-favourite characters was a terrible idea but I don't think the comics from that New52 era were unusually bad, especially when you include some of the ones that started later like Grayson or Lemire's Green Arrow.

Fully agree. The idea behind the New 52 was terrible but there were a lot of really neat and quality books under the label.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll second E2. I really enjoyed it for most of the run.

Fury of Firestorm was one of the worst N52 books.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

drat, yeah Demon Knights was good as hell. Also, I really loved the Frankenstein book but the Rotworld crossover really didn't help it, Animal Man, or Swamp Thing (mainly due to over staying its welcome). Animal Man afterwards was incredible though.

Earth 2 was absolutely one of the best N52 books. It was pretty interesting to see young versions of the JSA characters, and they really let the writers go wild because it is in a different universe. Making Green Lantern just Swamp Thing and not an Alien Space Wizard was brilliant. Makes Solomon Grundy bring his villain way cooler too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The new Superman in E2 was pretty fantastic, has Val popped up since Rebirth?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

drat, yeah Demon Knights was good as hell. Also, I really loved the Frankenstein book but the Rotworld crossover really didn't help it, Animal Man, or Swamp Thing (mainly due to over staying its welcome). Animal Man afterwards was incredible though.

Earth 2 was absolutely one of the best N52 books. It was pretty interesting to see young versions of the JSA characters, and they really let the writers go wild because it is in a different universe. Making Green Lantern just Swamp Thing and not an Alien Space Wizard was brilliant. Makes Solomon Grundy bring his villain way cooler too.

Frankenstein was already over when the Rot crossover occurred. It had one more issues after the three issues of rotworld. Matt Kindt is always awesome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I also remember Hawkman, Captain Atom, Static, Men of War and Mr Terrific being exceptionally bad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I mean, the "New 52" era lasted a long while, technically the first New 52 comic I bought was Gotham Academy. It should probably be split into two sections, Early New 52 when it was largely poo poo, and Late New 52 when DC realised that they messed up and had to fix stuff, and when a lot of the better New 52 comics came out. You could see the road to Rebirth for a while, really. Didn't they have the New 52 branding on their comics for like, four years? I remember trolling a friend with "hey, they're getting rid of the New 52!" and them getting real excited and then real disappointing when they realised it was just the little brand logo.

Edit: vv Oh, right. I forgot about DCYou, we don't need a new label at all.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 31, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The second wave of 52 or whatever was the terribly titled DCYou which gave us Grayson, Gotham Academy, the new costumed Batgirl, Omega Men, Midnighter, Prez and was generally well received despite having a terrible name

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Did anything happen with E2 GL? I fell off the book fairly early and IIRC he was looking for his husband or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They... might be doing something with him in Future State? I think?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

His original comic ended on a cliffhanger about a school shooting. His cartoon ended with everyone but him and his friend depowered. His sad, short stint on the Titans ended with the New52. So of course you start his new book with the mystery that his one sister nobody remembers is now two sisters nobody remembers and whoops we're cancelled forget all that whatever it was.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Madkal posted:

The second wave of 52 or whatever was the terribly titled DCYou which gave us Grayson, Gotham Academy, the new costumed Batgirl, Omega Men, Midnighter, Prez and was generally well received despite having a terrible name

Dial H was great.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Inkspot posted:

His original comic ended on a cliffhanger about a school shooting. His cartoon ended with everyone but him and his friend depowered. His sad, short stint on the Titans ended with the New52. So of course you start his new book with the mystery that his one sister nobody remembers is now two sisters nobody remembers and whoops we're cancelled forget all that whatever it was.

The Nu-52 Static was a shitshow from the start. The artist basically went over the writer's head in what seemed like a clash of egos and the editors went over both their heads because the editors at DC were basically given ultimate control on certain titles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Theoretically shouldn't the editors have ultimate control over every title?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yes but not in the way that DC editorial was in those days. There are stories from a few creators about how the editors were basically writing the books or saying what can and cannot be in the story.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Theoretically shouldn't the editors have ultimate control over every title?
Depends on what you mean by ultimate control. Not to over simplify things, but four basic scenarios of "editorial control" that plays out in general:

Scenario A: DC upper management decides that now is the time to give Skeets his own solo ongoing series. A number of writers give their pitches, and the editor's favorite is from Chris Ware, who wants Skeets to be a private detective living on the moon, who is married to Wonder Woman. After some conversations with different editorial offices, the editor tells Ware that Skeets can't be married to Wonder Woman because she's busy in other comics, but maybe his wife could be Maxima?

Scenario B: Chris Ware gets his Skeets series approved, and begins work on it. The story bible lays out that at the end of the first year Skeets's spouse Wonder Woman Maxima is revealed to really be Skeets from the future in a wig. Lots of hints are dropped in the early scripts. The editor comes to Ware and asks if maybe Maxima could instead reveal herself to be The Batman Who Laughs instead? This sets up a big crossover in a different creator's book later in the year. That wasn't Ware's plan, but he agrees to the story and adjusts his plans accordingly.

Scenario C: Skeets #9 comes out with a scene where "Maxima" reveals her true self to Booster Gold, who faints from fear. After the book is written and drawn, the editor decides he doesn't think the scene 'works' and reworks the scene without consulting Ware so that what really happens is that Booster Gold gets so horny at seeing "Maxima" take off her wig that he gets an erection pill-induced aneurysm and dies. Ware finds out after the fact that he can't use Booster Gold anymore, because he is dead from a boner aneurysm. Plus the editor never really liked Booster Gold that much anyway, they regret ever giving the green light to let Booster Gold be a supporting character in a Booster Gold series.

Scenario D: Chris Ware gets a memo from his editor with a plot outline for Skeets: Lunar Gumshoe issues #12-18 from the editor, letting him know he has to drop all of his other plotlines because the book is now a swords and sorcery romp that is crossing over with Warlord and also issues 15-18 will be a direct 'aftermath' story from the Shitload of Batmans and A Few More Batmans We Just Found fifth week events. Skeets is a wizard now, and his evil sister Steeks has taken over the moon. The whole wife thing just wasn't working, but they've got Frank Tieri tying off some loose ends in a Skeets Annual. And Skeets is a Libertarian now. The editor is going to be rewriting some dialogue from issue 10-11 to better reflect the new direction the book is taking. If you don't like it, you can always quit!

Strictly speaking all four of these scenarios are within the legal/contractual/whatever rights of the editor to have "ultimate control"; different writers have different comfort levels with each other these types of interference, and broadly speaking Scenarios A+B are things you have to kind of accept if you're doing WFH. Scenarios C+D are pretty lovely. DC was leaning pretty far into C+D during the Dan Didio era, especially when the New 52 hit.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cullen Bunn gave an interview about his Aquaman that was basically just, "I pitched my story and it got approved. Then editorial changed the entire premise from issue two forward. I then wrote six issues of Aquaman." He was clearly super unhappy with it and the interview question was pretty much why was Aquaman so bad while your other titles were so good.

DC has been bad about that kind of thing, who knows how they are now but I can't imagine great. Probably not as bad because I hoped they learned something from all the popular new writers jumping ship to Marvel as soon as they got the opportunity.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nystral posted:

Did anything happen with E2 GL? I fell off the book fairly early and IIRC he was looking for his husband or something.

I remember it being kind of dull until Tom Taylor came on and displayed his knack for taking alternate universes and making them good by making everything in the book go to poo poo. So Apokolips attacks!

e: oh, GL specifically. Yeah, some interesting stuff happens but unfortunately it's more some interesting GL stuff and not interesting Alan Scott stuff.

Rhyno posted:

I also remember Hawkman, Captain Atom, Static, Men of War and Mr Terrific being exceptionally bad.

I feel like I remember some people praising Captain Atom but maybe I'm wrong there or maybe it got real lovely

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 31, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I own the trade, it's really bad.

I own most of the N52 in some form of collected edition. Yikes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I prefer when Robinson started Earth 2 it set up a bunch of interesting concepts with all the heroes being powered by mostly divine origins and then he went over to Animal Man (?) or Swamp Thing I forget. But Taylor's direction went waaaaayy into grim dark poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If i wanted to read buzzcut superbro where would I start? is it on DCU? I've been thinking of just getting a month of that to binge Batman/ Superman/Justice League instead of waiting for it to hopefully eventually show up on HBOMax.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

If i wanted to read buzzcut superbro where would I start? is it on DCU? I've been thinking of just getting a month of that to binge Batman/ Superman/Justice League instead of waiting for it to hopefully eventually show up on HBOMax.

The main story arc to read in terms of being actually good is 'Hard Truth' which is the first Pak story arc in Action comics involving Superman standing up to cops and police brutality in Metropolis and is generally fantastic.
The rest of it is not as good, generally only Greg Pak's Action Comics remained half decent throughout the storyline and Gene Yang's Superman was ok, Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman were fairly terrible. So in general only just read Action Comics and Superman. I think this would be the best order for it:

Superman: Before Truth
Superman #41-44

Action Comics: Hard Truth
Action Comics Sneak Peek (the DC You Sneak preview thing - it's in the TPB containing these issues), then Action Comics #41-44

Superman: Street Justice
Superman #45-47

Action Comics: Blind Justice
Action Comics #45-47

Savage Dawn:
This is a bigger crossover but the following are the only necessary and half decent issues
Superman Annual #3
Action Comics #48
Superman #48
Action Comics #49
Superman #49
Action Comics #50
Superman #50

As said Hard Truth is fantastic but the rest of it kinda falls apart. If you really wanted to trim it down you could also cut out the Superman Street Justice storyline, it's kinda fun but not great. Before Truth is also kinda poo poo and has awful JRjr art but it does establish the context for the storyline although you could get all of that in medias res by jumping straight into Action Comics.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Can we talk about how weird Romita JR's art gets? He used to have great artwork but over time it seems his own style got a bit TOO stylized and sometimes he gets sloppy and every character ends up with a square face and no emotion

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Yeah, he’s awful. The work he did during Bendis run on Action Comics was so bad. He’s getting hired due to his name and putting absolutely no effort into anything.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've hated Romita, Jr. since he's 00s ASM run. He's just terrible.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How he draws faces was always just incredibly unappealing to me.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I have to ask. Am I the only one who liked the azzarelo chang wonder woman run during new 52?. That is the run that got me back into comics.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I have to ask. Am I the only one who liked the azzarelo chang wonder woman run during new 52?. That is the run that got me back into comics.

No it's really popular and has an omnibus edition printing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

It had it's flaws but overall I really liked it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

nunsexmonkrock posted:

My favorite run on the character, probably. I always like Wonder Woman way more when they go hard on the Mythology stuff. Orion was a great supporting character, though the Wesley Willis character was a little too 1:1 to not feel a little weird.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

So how was Endless Winter? Worth a read?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vandar posted:

So how was Endless Winter? Worth a read?

Ehhhh...It's definitely setting up something for Black Adam possibly, but maybe not. It also undoes the Fortress of Solitude thing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've hated Romita, Jr. since he's 00s ASM run. He's just terrible.

JRJr is right up there with Mike Deodato, Jr. for artists I used to love but who are now an instant "nay" from me.

Maybe there's something about juniors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Deodato is a pro twitter follow though.

It's his own art mostly (but he always throws a credit in for the colorist and inker if it's in color or one of the rare times he didn't do his own inks) and then videos of him doing karate or statements of solidarity with antifa or anti comics gate stuff.