Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

god i love rotary phones holy poo poo

I have a Bluetooth landline handset in a box somewhere. Wonder if it'll talk to the PS5 so I can have my head cocked sideways while I play, cradling the handset on my shoulder.

Protip, if you're gonna double post like a nerd like me, split'em between pages cause we all know them ding danged kids ain't have the attention span to notice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Casnorf posted:

Practice and necessity allow you to develop skills that are learned, like a hadoken motion or whatever you personally need to improve your awareness and sense of the space you're in.

Yes, some people adapt to that direction sense quicker but it's a learned skill all the same.

Yeah as someone with an awful natural sense of direction (I needed a road map to navigate my hometown when I first started driving), it's a skill you have to develop. And it's totally worth developing. And there's no safer place to develop it than a video game :-)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it's interesting that the intersection of GTA's rise to popularity and the iphone's access to google maps managed to rewire people's sense of space in such a short amount of time, like 5 years, and so much for the worse. nowadays my friends use navigation to drive to places they already know the location of!

what the gently caress

I use GPS for any drive over 10 minutes, even if I know where I'm going, because traffic data is really accurate and useful!

marktheando posted:

I've always had a terrible sense of direction so I welcome it

Yeah same, I remember going to NYC for the first time pre-smart phones, and I was genuinely lost and freaked out half of the time (even though the streets are numbered). The very next year I had an iPhone and it was a massive improvement, I was a master of my fate.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Casnorf posted:

Protip, if you're gonna double post like a nerd like me, split'em between pages cause we all know them ding danged kids ain't have the attention span to notice!

yo these days i'll triplepost or quadpost without shame for no good reason even, maybe because i became too well known for beanposting that i turned into a beanpost reactionary

:swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKqoCTxsafw

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I know they have a lot to fix in the game, but I can’t believe you have cybernetic eyes and there’s a minimap instead of AR directions while you’re traveling. The future is dumb.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

acksplode posted:

Yeah as someone with an awful natural sense of direction (I needed a road map to navigate my hometown when I first started driving), it's a skill you have to develop. And it's totally worth developing. And there's no safer place to develop it than a video game :-)

I once got insulted quite badly by someone who couldn't process that I really enjoy being lost in games. Once you know your way around it never goes away, and some of the fun of exploration is stumbling across stuff you'd never have otherwise seen.

I like to walk around the city I live in by different routes just to catch the stores and whatnot I don't know about. Found a fantastic Brazilian place that way not too long ago!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Goodness yes! Getting lost without a care is a great way to experience both a new city and a good open world. My first 12 or so hours of RDR2 was mostly picking an unexplored area of the map and casting off to do some hunting and emergent events, it was such a joy.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I ended up buying Fenyx and I'm loving it--thanks for all of the information on it, everyone. It feels like the polar opposite of Valhalla to me: snappy and responsive, fun and fluid. I can see the humor rubbing some people the wrong way, but for me it's really doing the trick. I felt like Valhalla took itself too serious, so Fenyx not taking itself seriously at all is hitting the right note.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

acksplode posted:

Hell, since you mention it, even as recently as my own mother's generation, reading maps wasn't a skill the average person necessarily had. I remember those times where we were going on vacation with relatives and every so often, we would have to stop at a rest stop while all the male adults would stare tensely and with frustration at their maps, not entire sure whether we were in the right place or still going in the right direction. Long-distance travel and figuring out where to go and when based on a piece of paper isn't something that just comes naturally to people, it's something that also has to be developed in its own right.

These days, many children learn how to read minimaps before they ever leave elementary school. This has legitimately changed how people interact with their environment - and overall, I think it has done nothing other than to make them more competent at it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is fun in being lost in a game but it really depends on how the game world is designed. I think it'd be really frustrating to try and navigate any of these contemporary/future cities without any sort of guidance.

That said the GPS in C2077 sucks and I have just been using the quest marker on the hud more and ignoring the GPS. You can actually look at what you are doing and your surroundings and it gets you there fine, although the realistic highway system and multi tiered, sometimes maze-like design of the city requires some more work.

if anyone needs any more CP2077 driving tips I'm a pro and I'm here all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DezvXCU484

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I know they have a lot to fix in the game, but I can’t believe you have cybernetic eyes and there’s a minimap instead of AR directions while you’re traveling. The future is dumb.

They have it in the racing quests...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Maybe your character just prefers minimaps over directions. When I use a GPS, I always select the top-down perspective rather than the chase cam perspective because I think it gives me a better feeling for my relative position to things.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Are they ever going to make any PS5s? I've been on a million alert lists and I've seen maybe 2 alerts for in-stock in the past month.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Philthy posted:

Are they ever going to make any PS5s? I've been on a million alert lists and I've seen maybe 2 alerts for in-stock in the past month.

No you might as well wait for PS6 now, this is it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you're waiting that long, might as well wait for the PS7.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I hear the PS9 ain't nothin to sneeze at.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Interesting, most games from that era had different modes but I guess DS doesn't. Thanks for the info!

gently caress what was the ~era~ of nov 2019 I can’t remember

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Philthy posted:

hosed up I know but I heard directly from Sony that they don't want to make any more money and have stopped producing consoles entirely. in fact, they have a warehouse full of PS5s and they're just going to destroy all of them specifically so you can't have one

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

morallyobjected posted:

hosed up I know but I heard directly from Sony that they don't want to make any more money and have stopped producing consoles entirely. in fact, they have a warehouse full of PS5s and they're just going to destroy all of them specifically so you can't have one

Anarcho-Bidenism in action.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
After seeing scalpers can get $2000 for them, they're changing the sales SKU then re-releasing them.

"What are you gonna do, buy an Xbox Xxxtra X xerxes X? LOL."

- Ken Watanabe, president of printing cash, Sony

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

After seeing scalpers can get $2000 for them, they're changing the sales SKU then re-releasing them.

"What are you gonna do, buy an Xbox Xxxtra X xerxes X? LOL."

- Ken Watanabe, president of printing cash, Sony

you mean Kutaragi, I think. not that Watanabe isn't a popular Japanese last name either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's not quite as generic as Tanaka, but it's close.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

morallyobjected posted:

you mean Kutaragi, I think. not that Watanabe isn't a popular Japanese last name either.

Nah, the dude from Godzilla is the new president of printing cash. People love that guy. He owns.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
What about the dude from Last Samurai that isnt Watanabe but is Scorpion in that new MK movie??

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New bug: PS5 lost connection to both my DualSenses after waking from rest mode. It was acting as if neither were paired and connecting via cable did nothing. Resetting fixed it, didn't need to re-pair.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Are there issues with using the same account on a PS4 and 5 at same time? I gave my PS4 to my brother a while ago and they’ve been buying stuff and whatever and I’d wanna use that same account with my old poo poo on ps5 if i get one. I kinda assume it doesn’t play nicely about this but one can hope maybe? Like we prolly wouldn’t be playing the same games if that matters somehow.

Oh hey I guess it works fine I forgot everyone stopped being jerks about these things.

kater fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 2, 2021

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I just turned off Rest Mode out of fear my crops will wither and my cows will dry up

I also don't use the mic on the controller

If anyone has any other things to add to this list of my peasant superstitions, please do, because I'd like to keep a cool good working ps5

E: I'm sorry if this sounded lovely, I actually do turn Rest Mode off. Even if the fix is just reset, I'm spooked.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 2, 2021

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Akuma posted:

Edit: I love how CP2K77 has zero concept of theft so every time I go to a person's house or flat or camp or whatever I'm always like "yeah gimme a minute I just have to comb this place for everything that isn't bolted down" as they watch me steal their drinks and ashtrays and rolls of cash.

My wife and I were eating dinner and this little boy wearing a green dress thing just kicked the door in, threw all of our clay pots on the floor and then left. My grandmother made those.

What’s worse is what he did to our chickens outside.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

At least the chickens took their own revenge for it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cardiovorax posted:

At least the chickens took their own revenge for it.

It was goddam terrifying

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Fenyx, there is this one fresco challenge with a bunch of lasers blocking your path of pushing stuff. Solved that. Right next to there there is a small lyre in a building. You have to flip three switches to open it.

The first switch you throw some blocks into a building to weigh down two plates, this will light a torch you use to light another torch which makes a switch available.

The second switch you gotta kill some monsters or something.

The third switch is red, next to a label 6 that requires a heavy block. So I would assume pushing a heavy block into that switch would make it available to be activated. But I solved the block pushing puzzle, and the switch is still red and can't interact with it. I can't see anything that was affected by weighing down the plate. Anyone done this one?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

In Fenyx, there is this one fresco challenge with a bunch of lasers blocking your path of pushing stuff. Solved that. Right next to there there is a small lyre in a building. You have to flip three switches to open it.

The first switch you throw some blocks into a building to weigh down two plates, this will light a torch you use to light another torch which makes a switch available.

The second switch you gotta kill some monsters or something.

The third switch is red, next to a label 6 that requires a heavy block. So I would assume pushing a heavy block into that switch would make it available to be activated. But I solved the block pushing puzzle, and the switch is still red and can't interact with it. I can't see anything that was affected by weighing down the plate. Anyone done this one?

Which region are you in? I don't remember that one off the top of my head but I don't mind swing by it to see if I can remember what's up. If you can post a screenshot that'd help too.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Beat Demon's Souls last night and NG+ immediately started kicking my sorry rear end, so I decided to take a break and basically flipped a coin between Nier Automata and DMC5.

I was not prepared for how loving bonkers Nier Automata is.

Probably one of the best openings for a game ever with like every old arcade style gameplay crammed into one, then it turned into a sandbox lootquest and I lost interest.

Just picked it back up and I'm at the amusement park and I don't know what reality is anymore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Just picked it back up and I'm at the amusement park and I don't know what reality is anymore.
The first visit to the Amusement Park is a real "what? seriously, what?" moment. An entire zone full of party bots who just want you to be happy is not what this game teaches you expect at that point. It has wonderful music, though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hollow Knight had the perfect map setup

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Soysaucebeast posted:

Which region are you in? I don't remember that one off the top of my head but I don't mind swing by it to see if I can remember what's up. If you can post a screenshot that'd help too.

I think Athena's but honestly once you unlock the regions on a map it is kind of hard to tell where the borders between regions are. I just know I am in a vaguely western vaguely northern or maybe central area

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Firstborn posted:

What about the dude from Last Samurai that isnt Watanabe but is Scorpion in that new MK movie??

Holy poo poo Tim Cruise is Scorpion?! loving finally

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

Holy poo poo Tim Cruise is Scorpion?! loving finally

I love Tim Cruise

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

with movies like with tim cruise in them you can’t lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The PS5 background music player is another step back from the ps4. Most actions now require additional button presses, and the player doesn't consistently show up as the primary card because activities can push it down the line. Which means extra time spent just looking for the player.