Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

8one6 posted:

Just rewatched the episode where Killenger tried to make Doc Venture into a super villain and I'd love to see an AU season of Doc vs JJ.

Feels like the only way this ends is the PROBLEM getting activated and reviving Jonas Sr and the brothers finally agreeing their dad is a total prick and teaming up against him.

Bonus points if the Monarch takes up the Blue Morpho mantle to arch villainous Rusty.

The brothers have to admit that they barely notice the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I want to think that Doc would be fantastic at villainy because of years of experience seeing it in action.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even at his best he'd be a phantom limb, he has no flair for real villiany like the monarch.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

Oh yes. Nobody does it quite as well. The only show that comes close is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and they're only occasionally funny with the smash cut to title card. In fact, only one is in the same ballpark as the typical--typical--VB smash cut to end credits, and that was the episode where Mac works himself up and exclaims, "I'm going to save my dad's life!"

Smash cut to the title card: "Mac Kills His Dad." Good stuff.

"Nobody's going to get hurt"
smash cut
"Frank Sets Sweet Dee on Fire"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Much as I love VB's smash-cuts-to-credits it was a very in-vogue thing in the early 2000s, and a lot of shows were legitimately vying for the crown at who does it best. South Park had its own sublime "who's that?" one (the Fat Camp episode), and I still think the Broodwich episode of ATHF is up there with VB's best like Monarch's "wat." after escaping prison, or the Ghosts of the Sargasso ending

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dr. Henry Killinger rules and it's mostly because of The Doctor is Sin. could watch that episode on repeat for days

e: rewatching it again and now I'm laughing at "...you have a Puerto Rican department?" and then johnny freaking out during the phone call

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 1, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I love that line because of course Rusty has no idea what a PR department is.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Much as I love VB's smash-cuts-to-credits it was a very in-vogue thing in the early 2000s, and a lot of shows were legitimately vying for the crown at who does it best. South Park had its own sublime "who's that?" one (the Fat Camp episode), and I still think the Broodwich episode of ATHF is up there with VB's best like Monarch's "wat." after escaping prison, or the Ghosts of the Sargasso ending

What makes the Broodwich ending so great is that it's not just a smash cut, but it's a few of them in a row... Shake passes the last test, smash cut to the wedding scene, he declines, smash cut to post-brain-surgery Shake, he pops the sun-dried tomatoes in his mouth, smash cut to the alternate dimension, he's immediately killed, smash cut to credits. That whole episode's end takes a hard turn for the hilarious in the last 10 seconds, and there's so little time to react that when it's over, you're not sure what just happened.

World War Mammories posted:

Dr. Henry Killinger rules and it's mostly because of The Doctor is Sin. could watch that episode on repeat for days

e: rewatching it again and now I'm laughing at "...you have a Puerto Rican department?" and then johnny freaking out during the phone call

"Oh poo poo! Do you think he heard us??"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

tarlibone posted:

What makes the Broodwich ending so great is that it's not just a smash cut, but it's a few of them in a row... Shake passes the last test, smash cut to the wedding scene, he declines, smash cut to post-brain-surgery Shake, he pops the sun-dried tomatoes in his mouth, smash cut to the alternate dimension, he's immediately killed, smash cut to credits. That whole episode's end takes a hard turn for the hilarious in the last 10 seconds, and there's so little time to react that when it's over, you're not sure what just happened.

In case anyone hasn’t seen it yet:

https://youtu.be/0vZvPtI5Uk8

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I haven’t checked it out, but FYI Doc Hammer released his new Weep Album pretty much immediately at 2021.

And there’s purposely low art quality tshirts for it.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Comrade Quack posted:

I haven’t checked it out, but FYI Doc Hammer released his new Weep Album pretty much immediately at 2021.

Got both of them today (the shirt and the album). They've got a covers album on Bandcamp that I enjoy too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Comrade Quack posted:

It's good stuff! -> https://theweep.bandcamp.com/?fbclid=IwAR11Yislk_dYfnYmqTwZWuKhjR6QeCNKhxMSIyvfy5_eVWNsFqY0BSABvRU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

started rewatching again.

did they plan all this poo poo out years beforehand, or are they really good at rewatching their own stuff and picking out potential threads to pull? here I'm thinking of the PROBLEM on gargantua-1 in season 1, and the gag is that the problem is one of rusty's two toys melting on the wiring. then in season 7, it's the other toy that team venture slips on, dropping Jonas. did they actually let a joke simmer for over a decade or was it a later stroke of inspiration?

8one6
May 20, 2012

did they plan all this poo poo out years beforehand, or are they really good at rewatching their own stuff and picking out potential threads to pull? here I'm thinking of the PROBLEM on gargantua-1 in season 1, and the gag is that the problem is one of rusty's two toys melting on the wiring. then in season 7, it's the other toy that team venture slips on, dropping Jonas. did they actually let a joke simmer for over a decade or was it a later stroke of inspiration?

The real reward for having a show as dense as the Venture Brothers is that anything can become important later if the show runners need it to be but it doesn't force importance on anything (until it needs to.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

8one6 posted:

The real reward for having a show as dense as the Venture Brothers is that anything can become important later if the show runners need it to be but it doesn't force importance on anything (until it needs to.)

But for the record the show runners are pretty upfront about writing by the seat of their pants and then going back later to fill in details when they need/want to.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
It was not planned. Nothing was. In the book and in the commentary tracks, they often talk about how their throw-away lines and pun-names are later expanded to become characters, story elements, or bits of Venture lore. At a certain point, they decided to just lean into it, and those early mentions end up being the seeds for callbacks.

A good example is Monarch's to-do list to Henchmen 21 & 24 included sending the charred remains of Wonder Boy to Captain Sunshine. It was just a random order given out-of-context that's just a funny, random item in a bizarre henchy-do list. In Season 4 ("Handsome Ransom"), it becomes a whole thing. Also included in this episode is a callback to another throwaway line from Season 3 regarding Captain Sunshine's belief that Monarch shouldn't get a beat-down because Cap knows that Monarch is invulnerable.

Frankly, I love the way they do this. Planning it out ahead of time tempts writers to leave super-clever clues. You know, the kind that get figured out immediately.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

When they start writing new seasons, they go back and watch the old ones to pick out things that might be fun to expand on.

Edit: I agree with Tarlibone, not planning things and then going back to grab random things is much better than trying to leave clever hints. If you are consciously trying to have this big plotline leads to people noticing that it keeps coming up and then guessing it. Grabbing random stuff from the past feels more natural and lets you go back and see the earlier bits and say "Hey! It's that guy!"

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 2, 2021

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Wasn’t shore leave a gag from commentary originally?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

Something like that, I think. I remember Doc, I think, saying that for some reason, he wanted to have a character say "Boom, yummy!" or something like that in a sassy-gay tone.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

There’s a super long interview from Ken Plume with Doc who confirmed that they furiously watch all the previous seasons when writing a new one to build out additional lore and poo poo from seemingly throw away stuff.

He even talks about having to buy digital versions because the single hard drive they had with a copy of all the episodes died.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

wonderful, I was hoping their writing process was like that, thanks folks

Cojawfee posted:

When they start writing new seasons, they go back and watch the old ones to pick out things that might be fun to expand on.

Edit: I agree with Tarlibone, not planning things and then going back to grab random things is much better than trying to leave clever hints. If you are consciously trying to have this big plotline leads to people noticing that it keeps coming up and then guessing it. Grabbing random stuff from the past feels more natural and lets you go back and see the earlier bits and say "Hey! It's that guy!"

good custom title :haibrow:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TK-42-1 posted:

Shore Leave's first appearance was as a member of a GI Joe/The Village People crossover during a one-shot flashback about Brock's initial years with the OSI. As far as his basic concept, I don't recall anything earlier than that.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

8one6 posted:

I want to think that Doc would be fantastic at villainy because of years of experience seeing it in action.

You just know that Doc V would have a mid life crisis in the 00s, don a terrible emo wig, black armbands, skinny jeans and become The Rust. He would release a low fi album exclusively to Pitchfork media called Entropy (R venge = love amongst the Decay).

Marathon rewatch the whole show to close out 2020 and I still love everything about Dr Orpheus. A big part is his over the top intro theme in his early appearances. Just the BAA BAH BAAA BUM as he talks about how his amazing fruitattas or having previously eatenTaco Bell. Still one of my favourites and often used quote of the whole show is BatHank saying “then I’ll see you in heck!”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The way they make sure to emphasize how his eyes are popping wide as he says "It's maddening!" talking about sticking his tongue in the mouth slit makes me so happy inside.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

The way they make sure to emphasize how his eyes are popping wide as he says "It's maddening!" talking about sticking his tongue in the mouth slit makes me so happy inside.

Later on when he bravely charged into the fray Brock was so proud. Really everything about BatHank is great... especially his father bitching about how he always ruins family costume night by going as The Bat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tarlibone posted:

It was not planned. Nothing was. In the book and in the commentary tracks, they often talk about how their throw-away lines and pun-names are later expanded to become characters, story elements, or bits of Venture lore. At a certain point, they decided to just lean into it, and those early mentions end up being the seeds for callbacks.

A good example is Monarch's to-do list to Henchmen 21 & 24 included sending the charred remains of Wonder Boy to Captain Sunshine. It was just a random order given out-of-context that's just a funny, random item in a bizarre henchy-do list. In Season 4 ("Handsome Ransom"), it becomes a whole thing. Also included in this episode is a callback to another throwaway line from Season 3 regarding Captain Sunshine's belief that Monarch shouldn't get a beat-down because Cap knows that Monarch is invulnerable.

Frankly, I love the way they do this. Planning it out ahead of time tempts writers to leave super-clever clues. You know, the kind that get figured out immediately.

It's the kinda thing that also works because it basically puts them in the same mindset as the fans, who are watching and rewatching episodes at their own pace, and that they try to extrapolate from things in ways that make sense.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The OSI stuff in particular is amazing because most of GI JOE lore was built off a pitch Marvel writer Larry Hama did for a SHIELD series that didn’t make it. So OSI starts out as a SHIELD clone and then segues into a GI JOE riff about what happens if SHIELD “86ed the dress code.”

The Venture Bros. is one of my favorite shows ever because its entire animating principle is “yes, and...” and it’s been the same two guys making it happen for close to 20 loving years now. That’s an insane run for any creative endeavor.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Splint Chesthair posted:

The OSI stuff in particular is amazing because most of GI JOE lore was built off a pitch Marvel writer Larry Hama did for a SHIELD series that didn’t make it. So OSI starts out as a SHIELD clone and then segues into a GI JOE riff about what happens if SHIELD “86ed the dress code.”

The Venture Bros. is one of my favorite shows ever because its entire animating principle is “yes, and...” and it’s been the same two guys making it happen for close to 20 loving years now. That’s an insane run for any creative endeavor.

I have nothing to say about this post, other than this: I loving adore your avatar.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

I have nothing to say about this post, other than this: I loving adore your avatar.

This dude has a long history of recognizing good avatars.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Believe it or not, I appreciate you saying that quite a bit.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Splint Chesthair posted:

Believe it or not, I appreciate you saying that quite a bit.

Would you say you were walking on air about it?

I never thought I'd feel so free to say such a thing in a tightly-themed thread like this. But sometimes, it pays to make posts on a wing and a prayer.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is this the same scene that has Doc complaining that "why is that everytime we go somewhere we get waylaid by jackassery?" Becuase I've always loved just how completely they skewered the premise of every single adventure show with that one throwaway line

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

That one scene also shows that Sergeant Hatred used to work for the OSI as a double agent covering up the Guild's existence. Then I guess decides that's boring and goes full supervillain. And then decides to switch back to the OSI... which they accept??? I always thought this was pretty bizarre.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sankara posted:

That one scene also shows that Sergeant Hatred used to work for the OSI as a double agent covering up the Guild's existence. Then I guess decides that's boring and goes full supervillain. And then decides to switch back to the OSI... which they accept??? I always thought this was pretty bizarre.

He's got years of secrets and since they know the orb isn't a real issue anymore, Rusty doesn't really need a top agent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's more that he was basically convenient for Rusty to take on as a new bodyguard, and he came back after A: spilling every Guild secret he had, and 2: at a significant demotion considering.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Plus, he's offered either a low level desk job or being fired in season six, so he's pretty much fallen as far as he can without being dismissed outright.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's got years of secrets and since they know the orb isn't a real issue anymore, Rusty doesn't really need a top agent.

“20 years of news we can use”

Though I did always find it kind of weird how the GCI went from totally underground to its 2000’s level state like overnight, though I just chalk that up to “sliding timescales are weird”

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“20 years of news we can use”

Though I did always find it kind of weird how the GCI went from totally underground to its 2000’s level state like overnight, though I just chalk that up to “sliding timescales are weird”

Not really. Even with the sliding timescales, think about all the real world groups that exist now that either didn't exist or the population at large didn't know about 10 - 15 years ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Guild had been using SPHINX to cover for them probably; they don't have signature branding and exist primarily as a support organisation for otherwise independent villains, after all, while SPHINX loved to hog the headlines.

The Pyramid Wars seem to be an example of what happens when the OSI isn't loving around- with no Treaty of Tolerance in play, or any equivalent likely presumed void after SPHINX supposedly did Movie Night as a planned and purposeful operation, the whole organisation was effectively defunct within a few years. Funny thing that Cobra Commander equivalent surviving the destruction of his organisation even has precedent- he basically appears in barely lawyer-friendly form in a late season episode of The Transformers, under the monicker 'Old Snake', and laments that terrorists just aren't what they used to be before trying to give his old battlecry that's cut off by a coughing fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/PhillipBankss/status/1345861053524152320