Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After some poo poo luck trying to farm VV artifacts (I think like 4/5 of the 5* I've gotten have been from the healing set) I got what seems like a really nice Flower. I think that the only things that could possibly be better on its base rolls would have been maybe replacing ATK% with Energy Regen and starting out with all 4 substats:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
The real solution is to remove characters from the loot table after c6. 4s are bad enough, but no starglitter solution could ever make sense for rolling c7 on a 5 star.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pope Urbane II posted:

The real solution is to remove characters from the loot table after c6. 4s are bad enough, but no starglitter solution could ever make sense for rolling c7 on a 5 star.

I agree but if they gave enough glitter to buy a 4* from
The shop it would kinda even out since you could wait till whatever is in the shop you wanted.

They should be removed from the pool though like other games do.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the vine was kicking my rear end two days ago, now I'm this close

best I could do in all the runs it took to buy out the shop

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I am not aware of any games that remove dupes from the gacha pool.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

there's tons of games that do. whether you want to call them gatcha or not, whatevs. its all the same unwrapping pictures of animes.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
terra battle did, technically

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

As mentioned, make cryo potions and bring Amber. My amber is lv 20, (as opposed to my Klee, who is 80 and did the lions share of the work, but amber was equally useful.) I took my good bow and artifacts off Fishl and loaned them to Amber for the event. Don't do co-op because you'll get weird lag deaths or no one will bring a healer. It's a sucky slog but I got it down to 4-5 minutes per clear, I almost never needed food or a revive unless Amber got caught out and died instantly cuz she has like 20 HP.

Having a healer in the party doesn't matter for the co-op fight because multiplayer scaling jacks its damage so high that it'll oneshot you regardless.
At least at WL7.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Having a healer in the party doesn't matter for the co-op fight because multiplayer scaling jacks its damage so high that it'll oneshot you regardless.
At least at WL7.

I dunno my Dionas shields hold pretty good.

I ran a string of 2 min co op clears with her.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Wait can Diona shield other players in co-op?

My experience playing Benett was just laying down the inspiration field to buff everyone's damage during the dps phases and watching people instantly disappear whenever they got hit or took too long to get to a bubble the rest of the time.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Wait can Diona shield other players in co-op?

My experience playing Benett was just laying down the inspiration field to buff everyone's damage during the dps phases and watching people instantly disappear whenever they got hit or took too long to get to a bubble the rest of the time.

Yes

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Diona needs C2 to share shields.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

her shared shields are also weaker, with half the dmg absorption and a 5s duration. it being a cryo fight i can see how they still would put in some work at least.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gandlethorpe posted:

Cool, managed to go 9/9/6/6 first go-through in the new Abyss slapping together teams, even with dogshit buffs like weakpoint and sprint.

gently caress Cicin Mages though. And Eye of the Storm is such a dumb mob.

Last chamber part 2 is an absolute joke with freeze :chillout:

Cicin mages are some of the worst designed enemies in this game, right up there with the mutant electro slime (the big yellow one). The encounter design in this game has a lot of problems in general with lack of player agency and limited tactical depth, but the cicin mages are a particularly godawful example of this. It's like whoever designed them tried to cargo cult actual game design without understanding anything whatsoever about it. Just to take the obvious example, the cicin adds that get spawned could add interesting tactical options to the game, like the fight could go differently depending on whether you killed the cicins first or tried to go for the mage directly. Instead though killing them does absolutely nothing, because they just get respawned pretty much instantly. So instead of an interesting fight you instead get a horribly frustrating struggle against the game's controls and specifically its autotargeting, which is sorta wonky at the best of times but just spazzes out completely in the presence of a cicin mage. Like, try fighting a Cicin mage with Fischl or Ningguang and weep at how the game does absolutely everything other than what you want it to do.

Flaming June posted:

Any particular tips for floor 11, or 11-2 specifically? I've had trouble with 11 before the new rotation, too.

I'm just not sure how to protect the monument from both melee and range enemies. I also find it really hard to survive 11-1 side one with the Hydro mage floating around.

You have to use every trick in the book. Venti, Mona taunts, and some kind of permafreeze comp are likely your best bets.

11-1 by the way is another example of the poor encounter design in this game. In order for fights vs the computer to be interesting the player should have some skill-based way to avoid or at least mitigate damage. It should never feel like there's nothing you can do to avoid dying, or as if you just died to just bad RNG. 11-1 has a pretty blatant violation of this in the combination of the hydro mage with the aura that shits out a gazillion bubbles everywhere and the mutant electro slime. The mutant electro slime triggers electric blasts with other slimes and that in combination with everything always being wet because there's no way to avoid all the bubbles (and the hydro mage itself also being wet) leads to a lot of more or less unavoidable damage from gigantic electro-charged AoE's that just trigger with no warning, plus of course the enormously long stuns from the homing hydro mage attacks.

Believe it or not though this is actually sort of an improvement over the previous abyss iteration that just had unavoidable damage stage hazards on basically every level.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 2, 2021

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wouldn't mind rolling C7's on 5*'s as much if this game wasn't so damned stingy with the currencyloving everything. Like the core gameplay is fun, but then you spend 40 resin on this at WL7 and it just gives a ton of feelbads. On pulling itself, the low primogem generation plus the incredibly low rates just makes pulling feel worthless. It really emphasizes the grind instead of obfuscating it with a sense of progress.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The hydro mage gimmick is that you can destroy the bubbles with attacks :ssh:

You can just smack the stationary bubbles to get rid of them.
It's also technically possible to kill the homing bubbles with melee attacks before they hit you but the timing seems really tight, and it's way easier to just pop them with a bow character .

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

dogsicle posted:

her shared shields are also weaker, with half the dmg absorption and a 5s duration. it being a cryo fight i can see how they still would put in some work at least.

Though if you invest in Diona heavily and in the right way, you can spam her shield, and the shields will be tough. Of course, this requires heavy investment so much so that your Diona shield can tank a whale attack from the max level Golden House domain, but it would make it so that you just tap E continuously to maintain shields for your teammates.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The hydro mage gimmick is that you can destroy the bubbles with attacks :ssh:

You can just smack the stationary bubbles to get rid of them.
It's also technically possible to kill the homing bubbles with melee attacks before they hit you but the timing seems really tight, and it's way easier to just pop them with a bow character .

You can also use other enemies including the mage itself to take the bubble attack. Also the bubble expire if you can sprint away for long enough.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Lantern fest is in February, Google genshin roadmap

Thanks! I was hoping to see more specific stuff like how you can't leave artifacts on the floor anymore after doing a domain but neat regardless. That or some stuff further in the game.

Okay, so I'm not great at the game but I'm doing my best. I wanna compile advice for the Before I Play Wiki since it's pretty sparse on this game, is there anything important I'm missing here?

quote:

First thing to note, DON'T USE PRIMOGEMS FOR ANYTHING BESIDES WISHES.

Gacha games are intended to be played consistently over a long period of time, as opposed to an already finished single player game like God of War or Yakuza or Resident Evil or what have you, it's kind of like a single player MMO. And they're still adding more content via updates so if you finish all of the story then just wait for more of the content to drop before getting back into it if you're not motivated to keep playing for extra artifacts or materials without a goal to keep working towards.

The game gives you 4 characters for free after you complete their initial quests: The Male/Female PC, Amber, Kaeya, and Lisa. Barbara is unlocked once you reach Adventure Rank 18 and complete the 'A Long Shot' quest and Xianling is unlocked for clearing the first 3 floors of the Spiral Abyss. (Which is actually 9 rooms because each floor has 3.)

The other way you'll unlock characters is using the wish system. Don't use Primogems to refresh resin. Gems are way harder to earn than resin is. (Resin restores 1 every 8 minutes, while Primogems are just currency, you spend them and they're gone.) The game will give you lots in the beginning, use them on that first special banner to unlock Noelle and then put the other ones to work on the standard banner in the hopes of getting new characters. As long as there isn't an event Banner going on. If there is, you should roll on that, since you've got a better chance of getting one of the newer characters as well. Don't worry too much about the weapon banner yet.

If you see any materials out in the world, pick them up, they'll probably come in handy later for powering up your units or cooking. Put an icon down on your map too, if you can see yourself motivated to go around collecting them regularly. It takes about 168 of a given plant or ore to level up a unit from 1 to 90 (though being able to level up to that point will take quite a few months)

When you're doing domains for artifacts or weapon upgrade materials, don't be afraid to use co-op. For a lot of people starting out, you might only have one or two max leveled characters available and have to use them in an area where they're a bad match-up for the enemies. So just call in other people to help you and try to help as much as you can.

If this is a lot of abstract info to take in, this website spells out a lot of the item searching and collecting in a much more straightforward fashion. https://genshin.gg/

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Here's a few more tips off the top of my head:
  • Early on, focus on leveling one character at a time instead of splitting all your resources evenly. You'll be much stronger with one level 50 than a party of four level 35s. (I've seen some new players make this mistake and end up really weak and unable to handle bosses when their World Level increases).
  • Level your artifacts early! They're a big part of your damage, and once you replace them you can can refund 80% of the xp by using the old artifacts as upgrade fuel so there's no reason to fear "wasting" resources on upgrading the wrong artifacts.
  • Unless you plan on spending tons of money, don't set your mind on one specific character. You have no way to guarantee getting anyone in particular (other than the featured banner character), and it can take thousands of real-life dollars to obtain an off-banner 5*. (If you're just starting and have a LOT of free time, you can try to obtain a specific character by rerolling new accounts until you get them in your first few rolls. )

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 2, 2021

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If you're not sure what you want to spend your resin on early game and don't want to "waste" any, the best things to do are the world bosses (the cubes and the flowers) if you know which characters you want to ascend. The drops from those bosses improve the least as you increase world level and you will need many many drops from them at higher levels anyway.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There was a con for mobile games in Guangzhou.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/kokqvq/photos_from_guangzhou_25th_firefly_animation_game/

Cons are nice :)

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

RareAcumen posted:

Don't use Primogems to refresh resin.

I use the 50 primos for resin and do not regret it. that's 1.5 more useless 5* artifacts per day, instead of a third of a debate club

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
hey that's not just 1/3 of a debate club its 1/288th of a zhongli

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Building pity is super important when artifacts aren't going anywhere and the power floor to beat 99% content is low

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah honestly I’m not sure what use I have for wishes any more. I’ve got a gaggle of five stars and two c6s and really the only reason I’d roll is to try and refine Albedo’s dumbass 3 star sword.

Not really germane to beginner talk but eating 50 paimongems to do more stuff once a day isn’t bad if you want to do it.

I think the best advice is that emphasize that all things come with time, and you might feel overwhelmed or rushed or that you screwed up something but it’ll just even out after a while and you will get what you want, provided it isn’t that ultra rare limited time only wowowowow thing in the store.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You should basically have a max-refinement copy of every 3* weapon in the game just from open-world chests, unless you used them all up as upgrade fodder. (Which is kind of a waste because actual weapons are worth almost nothing compared to enhancement ore).

The one exception is the Dark Iron Sword. For some reason, there is exactly 1 copy of it in the entire game, from a conversation option with a dude selling fish. You can't obtain it in any chests and it doesn't show up in any gacha.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I can only handle looking at so many level 20 characters that I don't have the resources for

e:

they're not even on the backburner, they're still in the fridge

padijun fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 2, 2021

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think resources for characters will come over time. If you've been playing since the beginning you probably have about 20 characters even if you're f2p, and you've had three months worth of resources to gather to level them, less the first month because you were low WL.

In the future, even if you're a big whale you'll only get like 1-2 new characters per month because they don't release new ones that often, so there'll be more freedom to level extra characters.

All this changes of course when they increase the level cap and it takes 5000 books to get to level 100.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You should basically have a max-refinement copy of every 3* weapon in the game just from open-world chests, unless you used them all up as upgrade fodder. (Which is kind of a waste because actual weapons are worth almost nothing compared to enhancement ore).

Shame the game eats weapons first when autofilling.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

kater posted:

Shame the game eats weapons first when autofilling.

I'm glad they added the lock function, I was pissed off when I killed my R5 dragon slayers. but there's a happy ending, I have two more now

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I have a thrilling tales and a debate club and all my other 3* weapons just get mulched.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Speaking of the auto-assign eating weapons first, they really should let you assign multiple weapon crystals without clicking a billion times for each one. Same with experience books. It's awful.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
with XP books you can hold the button down

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

padijun posted:

with XP books you can hold the button down

Oh, that changes everything.

...Apparently it takes way longer to start than I was expecting, so after trying it I thought holding it down did nothing.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The weapons crystals not being possible to add by holding down the button was what prompted me to finally clear out my weapons stash. Locked and refined everything I wanted to keep and mulched the rest. At least then you can just use the auto-add function to have the game add as many crystals as you need to max out the weapon. If you select "3 star and below" it'll automatically pick the highest quality crystals, which saves a lot of clicking.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
People always seem to make Childe look so broken.

https://v.redd.it/wv0c9zc37v861

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Only newbie advice: If you see a thing, go get it. No, you won't remember where that chest was later. You can always mark where you are.

Clarste posted:

...Apparently it takes way longer to start than I was expecting, so after trying it I thought holding it down did nothing.

It wouldn't be the Genshin UI if it wasn't pointlessly obtuse. :v:

moush posted:

People always seem to make Childe look so broken.

Step 1: Insert credit card
Step 2: Bennet
Step 3: Repeatedly record until you do something ludicrous and clip it to youtube.

Using the ZL pillars and bunnies to immediately break the ice was an amazing move, not gonna lie. You too can do this with your C0 Childe!

Edit: I was wrong. Corrected the above.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 2, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I took my 'hey i don't want to roll characters ever again' to heart and headed over to the weapon banner with all these fancy mountain gems.

I did not get any more Harbingers.

I instead got four favonius swords and a Barbara.

Gatcha!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mailer posted:

Only newbie advice: If you see a thing, go get it. No, you won't remember where that chest was later. You can always mark where you are.

It wouldn't be the Genshin UI if it wasn't pointlessly obtuse. :v:

Step 1: Insert credit card
Step 2: Bennet
Step 3: Repeatedly record until you do something ludicrous and clip it to youtube.

Using the ZL pillars and bunnies to immediately break the ice was an amazing move, not gonna lie, but yeah your C0 Childe is not that guy's Childe.
That Childe didn't do anything a C0 Childe can't do.

kater posted:

I took my 'hey i don't want to roll characters ever again' to heart and headed over to the weapon banner with all these fancy mountain gems.

I did not get any more Harbingers.

I instead got four favonius swords and a Barbara.

Gatcha!
Ouch. Kind of. Refinement 4 fav sword on Bennett sounds kind of amazing tbh. I have a rank 5 Favonious Lance on Xiangling and it's kind of broken.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The boss of this event is really killing any desire to play the game for me. In coop I constantly get bad teams, I can do it solo but it's an unfun 9.5 minute fight where I go through 20 food items every time. :(

It’s a dick move but I just kept quitting every coop team as soon as it became apparent that it wasn’t an op team that was gonna carry me (so, ~30 seconds) and re-queueing. Once you get that team that kills it in 60 seconds just stick with it over and over until you get bored.