Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The only good grit is a cheesy grit.

I will sometimes eat roasted peanuts, shells on.
If they are TOO stringy, what I'll do is chew them and 'strain' them in my mouth long enough to leave only a wad of the strings that comprise the shell and spit that into a cup like its dip. Highly recommend. And now I want some :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ratjaculation posted:

It is worth pointing out this is relatively small for a mosquito in Australia

I dunno, that'd merit inclusion in the Great Texas Mosquito Festival's parade in Clute. I miss laughing at the Yankee Chili Cook-Off, where the winner one year was a pot of ketchup and green beans and every entry is a deliberate travesty. The mosquito legs contest is won by the contestant with the longest, skinniest legs, and frequently awarded to a local in a wheelchair. It's apocalyptic in its drunken self-loathing but it happens every single year. Except 2020, but it's roaring back in 2021 for its 40th anniversary.

All hail Willie-Man-Chew.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 2, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I bet you like dunkin donuts. Big dunkin vibes coming off you.

Oh definitely. That's a huge little bitch right there. Probably going to tell us about how Sheetz doesn't sell boiled peanuts next.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TheAardvark posted:

Oh definitely. That's a huge little bitch right there. Probably going to tell us about how Sheetz doesn't sell boiled peanuts next.

The gently caress is a sheetz

I live with like 6 boiled peanuts stands within 2 miles of me, and the best donuts are Shipleys

Sorry bout your lovely tastebuds

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

The gently caress is a sheetz

I live with like 6 boiled peanuts stands within 2 miles of me, and the best donuts are Shipleys

Sorry bout your lovely tastebuds

Wawa fan detected

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Big Beef City posted:

If they are TOO stringy, what I'll do is chew them and 'strain' them in my mouth long enough to leave only a wad of the strings that comprise the shell and spit that into a cup like its dip. Highly recommend. And now I want some :/

:randpop:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Isometric Bacon posted:

Sometime in 1970's Australia, some bloke got it in his mind (probably after visiting America) that building a huge gently caress off thing that represents his town would bring in tourists, or what amounted to tourism in those days. (Which meant a stop off for a piss, a pie and a sausage roll at the local bakery).

Legend has it the big prawn that straddles some roadhouse in South Australia was supposed to be a ~20 ft thing to put on the roof, but there was some confusion around ft vs meters and they ended up with a statue bigger than the building.

E: or some crustacean, lobster/crayfish/shrimp/croissant/prawn whatever.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Isometric Bacon posted:

This is by no means a definitive list of course. There's hundreds more of these things in various quality that have appeared and disappeared over the decades, as the ideal Australian family holiday moved on from endlessely driving around the country in a rented campavan taking photos at each and every 'big thing' and collecting the commerative teaspoon.

Castroville, CA has an enormous artichoke in a similar vein. Not quite so big though.

Tried to post a picture but couldn't upload, sorry.

Play fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 2, 2021

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Yeah you definitely don’t eat the shells, I’ve literally never seen anyone do that.

Indian pizza is good!

Up until my late teens I always ate (roasted) peanuts with their shells because I was too lazy to unshell them, but they were way cheaper.

Lots of fiber.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Play posted:

Castroville, CA has an enormous artichoke in a similar vein. Not quite so big though.

Tried to post a picture but couldn't upload, sorry.

You can buy 10 (or more) artichokes for a buck at roadside stands when they are in season. They are delicious, but a pain in the rear end to prepare.

I assume Gilroy has a bunch of garlic monuments, but I rarely go there except for passing through on the way to Santa Cruz, Monterrey, or Carmel.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 2, 2021

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I'm sorry but this is very confusing.

So you take peanuts - a crunchy food.
Then boil it, in water.

And that somehow makes it crunchier and tastier??

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hasturtium posted:

I dunno, that'd merit inclusion in the Great Texas Mosquito Festival's parade in Clute. I miss laughing at the Yankee Chili Cook-Off, where the winner one year was a pot of ketchup and green beans and every entry is a deliberate travesty. The mosquito legs contest is won by the contestant with the longest, skinniest legs, and frequently awarded to a local in a wheelchair. It's apocalyptic in its drunken self-loathing but it happens every single year. Except 2020, but it's roaring back in 2021 for its 40th anniversary.

All hail Willie-Man-Chew.

Well, I know where I'm spending a vacation some day.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Then boil it, in water.

Nah boiled peanut have a soft mushy texture like a cooked chickpea or soybean.

I don’t think peanuts actually get crunchy until they’re roasted.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Up until my late teens I always ate (roasted) peanuts with their shells because I was too lazy to unshell them, but they were way cheaper.

Lots of fiber.

Yeah I used to eat the shells as a kid too. I don't really get the point of salting them if you don't at least lick them or something.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Old auction house that stood for decades in my town until fairly recently.

Also can't forget this classic along I-5.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Then boil it, in water.

I know this might sound crazy, but when peanuts come out of the ground, they aren't roasted, crunchy and salty.
So instead of doing that, you boil them in heavily flavored water/stock of whatever kind and then season them further.

So when you get 'em, they look like this.

Peanuts, just with softer, wet shells instead.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

Jabberlock posted:

Also can't forget this classic along I-5.

Hey, Maryland had one of these too!

The park is no longer in its original location, but a lot of the buildings were moved to a nearby farm where kids can still play on them.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wait until you get to this

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Big Beef City posted:

Me Chinese
Me Play Joke

Oh sorry, thought I was in the Boomer thread.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Big Beef City posted:

This is not actually bad, it's pretty good sometimes.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

This thread is super interesting. I drive up and down the east coast a lot so I've seen a ton of South of the Border billboards in my time but could never bring myself to go. Sort of bummed out I won't be able to for awhile yet during the pandemic.

There's something very sad and weird about these pictures. Really feels like America has never been a fully realised concept.

Also boiled peanuts suck rear end, HTH

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're actually good and maybe you should help yourself out of this thread!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Hasturtium posted:

I miss laughing at the Yankee Chili Cook-Off, where the winner one year was a pot of ketchup and green beans and every entry is a deliberate travesty.
This is on the largely innocuous side of the Southern Feelings continuum that has some very scary things on the other side

(Boiled peanuts rule though, first encountered them like ten years ago at BANDANA'S which passes for acceptable barbeque I guess)

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Dr. Quarex posted:

This is on the largely innocuous side of the Southern Feelings continuum that has some very scary things on the other side

(Boiled peanuts rule though, first encountered them like ten years ago at BANDANA'S which passes for acceptable barbeque I guess)

The ugly side tends to come out with drinking. A few years ago the Mosquito Festival ran out of beer and there were nearly flat out riots as a result. There are a lot of reasons I moved away from that part of the state...

Seconding boiled peanuts as wonderful gooey treats, but who leaves the slimy, gritty shell on? It should slide off without incident and leave the delicious nuts for eating.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm a pretty big fan of the distant and gormless looks on every face in this picture

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Coolguye posted:

i'm a pretty big fan of the distant and gormless looks on every face in this picture

People ask why I don't go back much. After my first 19 years in the thick of it, why would I?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pine Cone Jones posted:

This is not actually bad, it's pretty good sometimes.

Oh, I agree. I wasn't knocking it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are you supposed to eat the peanuts after drinking the soda? either way, it seems gross

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Are you supposed to eat the peanuts after drinking the soda? either way, it seems gross

Yea, the soda sorta soaks into them and sweetens them a bit? The most noticeable affect is that it adds a salty/savory note to the coke which really makes the flavor of the coca-cola stand out in a good way, especially if it's particularly cold. The peanuts are just sorta left overs to slop down after. Chances are you'll get a few as you drink but...whatever you get the idea.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Why not just add a pinch of salt to the coke?

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019

Doc Fission posted:

This thread is super interesting. I drive up and down the east coast a lot so I've seen a ton of South of the Border billboards in my time but could never bring myself to go. Sort of bummed out I won't be able to for awhile yet during the pandemic.

My family drove down to Disney World when I was 5 and we stopped there. I, being a child, stuck my hand in a planter and promptly got bitten by a bunch of red ants. Well that's my South of the Border story.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

In the kindest way, that is disgusting, but very American

for those saying they want to stop at South of the Border, if you like a spicy ginger ale stock up on Blenheim's

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Benny Harvey posted:

Why not just add a pinch of salt to the coke?

...because then you don't get coke peanuts at the end you IDIOT
haha WOW can you believe this MORON!?
*the planters peanut mascot leads a marching band out onto the stage where the drums spell out 'F-U-C-K-I-N-G-M-O-R-O-N' and slowly circle around as confetti shaped like coke bottles rains down on you from above and every screams and hoots at you*

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There’s a Thai drink that has a cola and peanuts in it, not that crazy.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

If you want to find the German roaches in a gas station, the boiled peanuts dispenser is usually a good place to start. That combination of heat and moisture brings the bugs.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Peanut butter whiskey and coke is incredibly good and I only say incredibly because I have constantly been told im underselling it.

Peanut butter whiskey with a raspberry or blue berry cider is a PB and J flavored beverage.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

...because then you don't get coke peanuts at the end you IDIOT
haha WOW can you believe this MORON!?
*the planters peanut mascot leads a marching band out onto the stage where the drums spell out 'F-U-C-K-I-N-G-M-O-R-O-N' and slowly circle around as confetti shaped like coke bottles rains down on you from above and every screams and hoots at you*

Are the peanuts not all soggy and gross though?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
They are soggy. For "texture people," yes. My wife loathes so many foods just on arbitrarily not liking their texture, and I have no idea how anyone like her could eat a boiled peanut.

But for those of us who can eat crisp or chewy or squishy foods and it is basically all the same as long as the flavor is appropriate to the texture: yeah, they rule.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I know chinese food chat was awhile ago but having moved from a pop.1200 town to Portland the difference in quality and variety of food is astonishing, I've had the best time going to asian markets for a better variety, quality, and price of food/produce/etc

Small town america sucks poo poo if you dont want to eat potatoes and beef for 90% of your meals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

If you ever take I-85 south through SC instead of I-95 (which is how you get to South of the Border), you'll see the giant Gaffney peach rear end water tower: