Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The performance in serious sam 4 makes no goddamn sense.

This: 60 fps, no stutters

This wall: 20 fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm replaying Arkham City and just hit the AR challenges :negative:

Goddamnit, I was planning on doing the Calendar Man achievement legit this time, forgot about it until just now, jumped out of bed to try and even though its 11:30 here and still technically new years the drat game checks it off GMT so I'm out of luck, and I have the digital version so I can't even cheat it because it forces me to be online. What a theoretically fun but actually very stupid idea for an achievement

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bogmonster posted:

I actually found it incredibly soothing to collect every ? On the AC Odyssey map. No idea why.

I'm playing through Odyssey at the moment and there's something really relaxing about checking off those ? marks. Oh, cool, another fort. I'm probably not going to bother dealing with it, but getting it checked off on the map and seeing it's name flash on screen makes me happy.

Cleretic posted:

Whereas I saw the exact same thing and never explored it, because I knew that the reward was going to be a single spirit orb and I can get one of those way easier elsewhere.

There's actually three labyrinths and the reward for them is actually pretty good and one of them has the greatest troll moment in the game and is worth experiencing at least once.

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I would like to see is an open world game with a really distinct and weird environment. We’ve seen plenty of post-apocalyptic nature preserves, I want neon jungles and giant crystal mountains.

I'm mostly bored with open world stuff these days but an open world game that went all out with all kinds of crazy environments would hook me right back in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vandar posted:

I'm playing through Odyssey at the moment and there's something really relaxing about checking off those ? marks. Oh, cool, another fort. I'm probably not going to bother dealing with it, but getting it checked off on the map and seeing it's name flash on screen makes me happy.

There's actually three labyrinths and the reward for them is actually pretty good and one of them has the greatest troll moment in the game and is worth experiencing at least once.

I'm mostly bored with open world stuff these days but an open world game that went all out with all kinds of crazy environments would hook me right back in.

I'm not sure why the number is spoiled, they're all clearly marked on the map. I did all three but don't remember anything of note happening afterwards?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The performance in serious sam 4 makes no goddamn sense.

This: 60 fps, no stutters

This wall: 20 fps

That wall probably has a shitload of polygons because it is futureproofed for The Talos Principle 2.

I’d end my post with an emote to indicate it is a joke, but who knows if it is?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I haven't even finished installing Metal Gear Survive and its already dragging things down. First thing I read in a 'tips you should know before you play' article:

quote:

"You can't grow your own food until Chapter 6, and even then you'll need to wait almost three hours (in real time) before harvesting your first crop of potatoes."

... eesh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Necrothatcher posted:

I haven't even finished installing Metal Gear Survive and its already dragging things down. First thing I read in a 'tips you should know before you play' article:

... eesh

I have failed to get into it so far because it takes MGSV's already-obtuse crafting menus and greatly expands them but also distributes them over a bunch of separate crafting units. It felt like an annoying job just trying to learn them in the tutorials. I don't want to work, game, I just want to shoot some dang zambies! :arghfist:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Last of Us 2: The way the seraphites are introduced. You get damaged in a cutscene and that damage carries over when you're in control. Which is a dick move in game with limited resources.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Necrothatcher posted:

... eesh

Why grow food at your base? There's food to be found absolutely everywhere out in the dust.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Much as I adore Breath of the Wild and find exploration for exploration's sake rewarding, there are some serious dead zones in regions where you'd expect something

I went west from Robbie's lab, around the northern edge of the map and then down west of the korok forest. 2 hours of playing and I found one shrine and one korok. There's just nothing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Riatsala posted:

Much as I adore Breath of the Wild and find exploration for exploration's sake rewarding, there are some serious dead zones in regions where you'd expect something

I went west from Robbie's lab, around the northern edge of the map and then down west of the korok forest. 2 hours of playing and I found one shrine and one korok. There's just nothing

That's why you gotta check the interactive map before going anywhere

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

started playing Arkham Knight again after taking a five year break because my wife made fun of me for getting angry with the Riddler, and am already angry at the Riddler. The first Riddler mission that pops up is just investigating where he was last spotted, and it turns out he's built an underground race track. Okay. That's fine. Might not even be a crime, definitely isn't a riddle. Whatever. What I'd forgotten about was that the Riddler does not give Batman any reason whatsoever to compete in a three lap time trial. No hostage, nothing. Not even like a threat. He's just the game going "you have a car now, here's some car content" and then it spends the whole race calling you a dipshit baby with idiot hands

And you finish and the mission screen updates to say that there's two hundred forty three Riddler challenges

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've beaten Arkham City three times, never touched the dlc or challenge rooms, and I picked all 440 trophies each time.

But the prospect of even reaching the epilogue of Arkham Knight once by picking up every trophy using the batmobile is beyond my patience.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Karma Tornado posted:

No hostage, nothing. Not even like a threat.

But he does have that. He's holding Catwoman hostage and if you get riddles wrong he blows her up.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Alhazred posted:

But he does have that. He's holding Catwoman hostage and if you get riddles wrong he blows her up.

That's only later though, possibly hours later depending on how fast you're going through the main story. For some reason they open-up Riddler trophies and challenges before he tells you he's captured Catwoman.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Why grow food at your base? There's food to be found absolutely everywhere out in the dust.

I dunno, I haven't played the game yet.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Yeah the first mission he's just like "oh ho ho, Dork Knight! It is I, your greatest nemesis now that the Joker is currently dead! For that reason, complete ye my laps three!" and Batman resolves to simply turn off the safety overrides for the afterburner his employee just remotely unlocked on the car Riddler didn't know he had yet and does the race instead of using the tank cannon the Riddler also didn't know he had yet to blow the door off and go stop the guy threatening an entire city with something other than bullshit

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

At least Arkham Knight didn't have the lovely as gently caress character-specific Riddler trophies like Arkham City did. :argh:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Vandar posted:

At least Arkham Knight didn't have the lovely as gently caress character-specific Riddler trophies like Arkham City did. :argh:

The Catwoman Ridler trophies were actually extra and not required (or even allowed you to grab them instead of the regular ones.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair, part of the point is that the riddler has gone so far off the deep end that he's forgotten what a riddle even *is* - like after you do the miniboss fight where he pits Batman against a bunch of Pink robots that he can't hurt, he accuses you of cheating when you work with Catwoman, and when asked to elaborate he responds "If you couldn't hack the firmware and disable the co-op settings on the robots, what kind of genius do you think you are?!" I think that when he claims that a child could solve his riddles without 'cheating' that he genuinely has gone so far into his madness that he's lost sight of what average intelligence actually IS. His idea of what isn't cheating is ridiculous because in his obsession he's lost what made him love riddles and puzzles in the first place, and any real talent that he once had for creating it has been lost as echo chambers and malnutrition turn Edward's brain to soup.

MrCobaiiiiiiiiin
Oct 19, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

To be fair, part of the point is that the riddler has gone so far off the deep end that he's forgotten what a riddle even *is* - like after you do the miniboss fight where he pits Batman against a bunch of Pink robots that he can't hurt, he accuses you of cheating when you work with Catwoman, and when asked to elaborate he responds "If you couldn't hack the firmware and disable the co-op settings on the robots, what kind of genius do you think you are?!" I think that when he claims that a child could solve his riddles without 'cheating' that he genuinely has gone so far into his madness that he's lost sight of what average intelligence actually IS. His idea of what isn't cheating is ridiculous because in his obsession he's lost what made him love riddles and puzzles in the first place, and any real talent that he once had for creating it has been lost as echo chambers and malnutrition turn Edward's brain to soup.

So The Riddler has become YandareDev, makes sense.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Be that as it may all the non-riddle Riddler stuff sucks bigtime and the game would be better without it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BioEnchanted posted:

To be even fairer: Thats how they wrote him. Like they made the decision thats the route they were going to take him because they wanted to put all this bullshit in their game and they needed to somehow narratively justify it, so gently caress it, riddler like brrm brrm cars now.

It was bad writing done to justify worse gameplay.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Which is a shame, because I really like the VO's portrayal and the visual interpretation of Riddler in Knight. The City version also looked good, but, like, the filthy mechanic would've worked well for the TAS version of Riddler, who was also fond of giant gadgetry.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

they already had the AR challenges setup if they wanted to make you do dumb races for XP, the only functional differences between those and the Riddler challenges is that one of them has a shrill nerd shouting "way to screw up my simple child's game for a preschool class, Buttman! You're not my dad, whom I hate!" and the AR ones are presented as slightly more optional

they thought people would be so hype to drive the car that they barely justified all the weird ways they make you use it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do really like the City interpretation, making Riddler into Jigsaw is a pretty perfect way to do a modern version,but yeah surely there's at least one car based villain they could have used for those parts of Knight, especially since there are already the usual Riddler trophies and challenges

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

surely there's at least one car based villain they could have used for those parts of Knight

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Catwoman Ridler trophies were actually extra and not required (or even allowed you to grab them instead of the regular ones.)

They're still there! They have to be collected! They just have to!

What really broke me on them is when you visit the Iceberg Lounge as Batman and there's a Catwoman trophy just loving sitting there out in the open. No riddles, no puzzles, just a trophy just sitting there by itself.

JUST PICK IT UP, BRUCE. JUST PICK UP THE drat THING AND GIVE IT TO SELINA LATER.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Such a missed opportunity for a Pussy Mobile.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vandar posted:

They're still there! They have to be collected! They just have to!

What really broke me on them is when you visit the Iceberg Lounge as Batman and there's a Catwoman trophy just loving sitting there out in the open. No riddles, no puzzles, just a trophy just sitting there by itself.

JUST PICK IT UP, BRUCE. JUST PICK UP THE drat THING AND GIVE IT TO SELINA LATER.

ah the DK64 approach to collectibles... bold of them to tak that approach with Batman

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AC Odyssey is basically designed around a constant deluge of armor and weapons flowing in as you kill folks, but for some inane reason you can't sell or disassemble the highest tier equipment. So even when you try to keep your inventory pared down you're eventually collecting 5 or 10 items in each slot that you have no use for since they're ugly/too underleveled to ever care about/etc. You can stick em in your storage box forever I guess, but that just seems like a dumb workaround that makes me spend extra time while not getting money/items for stuff I'll never use.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I estimate I have spent approximately 20% of my life playing all these assassin creed games and in these later ones it lets you upgrade or engrave stuff and I’ve never done it and I don’t understand it and I just equip whatever new stronger weapon I loot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I estimate I have spent approximately 20% of my life playing all these assassin creed games and in these later ones it lets you upgrade or engrave stuff and I’ve never done it and I don’t understand it and I just equip whatever new stronger weapon I loot

I was the same way until I found an outfit cool enough to make me learn how to push button to make things stronger

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I just used the button that made stronger things look like the cool outfit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

I just used the button that made stronger things look like the cool outfit

What is this deviltry

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

What is this deviltry

Odyssey only.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

What is this deviltry

Press square while hovering over whichever piece you want to look like a different piece.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's what I'm in now, I've looked and haven't seen it although I'm assuming it's incredibly obvious :downs:

Oblique Angle posted:

Press square while hovering over whichever piece you want to look like a different piece.

:tipshat:

vvv also :tipshat:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

What is this deviltry

Odyssey lets you change the appearance of armor pieces to look like any other pieces you've found, but I don't think you can do it until you've hit a certain level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Rayman Legends is fun so far, but the momentum based movement can be annoying, like I died a bunch trying to make really precise hovers up through spiky cake obstacles because Rayman would drift just an milimeter too close to the wall and pull off a walljump right into the spikes when there was only a small gap to move through in the first place (so I couldn't just try it further away from the wall)