Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I forgot most of the Half Life story, since I haven't played it in eons and the only thing I found confusing was the state of the world in Alyx. I know very loosely that the events of Half Life one caused dimensions to merge or something, but I didn't really remember how the Combine works or how everything came to be the way it was. The story itself is fun and super easy to follow. I don't know if it's worth spending probably 40 hours replaying ancient games just to lead up to Alyx.

I picked them all up in some big bundle recently. Gonna replay them and, give HL2 in VR a shot one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I think if you find yourself interested in playing them, you should do so, but if I were to require one game, it'd probably be HL2.

If you go into them understanding that they're not modern games, you'll be fine. They are products of their particular eras in gaming, but what made them so highly-acclaimed is that they represented an ambitious, innovative take on what FPS games were like in 1998 and 2004, respectively. Some gameplay sections haven't aged well, but they're certainly not unplayable. If you try Half Life 1 and find it too old for you, then try Black Mesa, which is a remake in the HL2 engine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ceive posted:

Not everyone is going to have the same experience as you. It's okay for people to not like a game that you like.

Yes but saying "it only has teleport" when it has free locomotion is something that deserves to be corrected :v: It becomes pretty obvious you're jumping to conclusions when you make obviously wrong statements like that.

Lockback posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that. The OP said "I don't play games that don't have free movement" when payday2 does have free movement (and someone considering getting the game for $2 should have that information). I found Payday 2 to be a bit... exhausting in VR because being stuck in the same environment in VR gets repetitive, but that's an opinion.

Or else the OP is one of those people who refuse to play games that don't have their exact options already defaulted in the options menu, in which case they deserve to be ridiculued.

Bingo. Its a kind of important distinction. Especially when the same misinformation has been posted at least 3 times.

So many people have posted that payday2 only has teleport I actually booted the game up yesterday and played a level just to make sure I wasn't imagining things. But no, it definitely 100% has smooth movement as an option.

Its perfectly fine if you don't like the game and I already even said that, Ceive. You're not helping.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 2, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

I just decided to restart Alyx on hard after being annoyed at myself for not being able to figure out what I want to play on this steam sale (I should probably just start utilizing this refund policy more to try stuff out instead of laboring over what I want to buy lol) and goddamn it's just as mind blowing to look at as it was 6 months ago the first time I played. hard doesn't actually seem any harder than normal though lol.

gently caress I wish I could figure out how to solve this hitching I get with smooth locomotion on my 1070 though, even on low/recommended settings . Game plays fine with teleport and runs at a solid frame rate outside of a few drops in busier areas, but I always get this goddamn micro rubber banding with smooth locomotion. For the life of me I can't figure out of how to fix it. I know I am running it on the lower end of recommended specs but it seems like plenty of other people have played it on a 1070 without this problem :sigh:

That sounds really gross. I have no idea, but as a shot in the dark, have you tried forcing low-latency mode in the video driver control panel? There's specifically a VR low-latency mode that maaaaaybe could help?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I got halflife 1 VR running natively on the quest 2 and it works flawlessly. Check it out here: https://www.lambda1vr.com/

Theres a PCVR version that I can't speak to here: https://www.halflifevr.de/ .

I'm now really curious about half-life 2 vr but it looks much more hacky than what the lambda1vr folks managed to do.

Also tried out Myst VR and it's really good but... we need Riven VR so much more than we need Myst VR

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never played through the first two half life games. Is it worth playing through them in 2020 before alyx? And if so which ones? Saw there's an hf2: episode 1 and 2 as well but dunno how long they are. I have them but gauging if it's worth the time or just reading a plot summary in case they play like poo poo in modern times.

Hl1 is an all time classic everyone should play but, doesn't real tie into anything in alyx outside of some name drops (though, theres also a VR version of HL1 you can play through a mod). Hl2 is an ok mid 2000's shooter that... has a lot of rough edges in pacing, sequences that go on too long and get annoying and didn't age as well, but its the one you would want to play as it features the characters and setting from alyx.

That said you're not missing anything if you just play alyx, theres not really much in the way of plot or background that gets explained by playing hl2 that you wouldn't just pick up the same from jumping straight to alyx. I never played the episodes though, so I don't know how they hold up, or if they delve more into story stuff that might relate to alyx. Really though the plot itself of alyx is pretty basic and theres no twists and turns plot wise that will make you wonder whats going on even if you never play a half life game.

Basically, play the other ones if you want or just jump into alyx, either way its not really going to effect your alyx experience beyond "oh i recognize that monster/name drop from the other games".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Skyrim VR (modded) - It's strange how everything about this game can seem wonderful and new again just from a change of perspective. It's still the same game with all of the same janky physics and strange AI that it has always had but playing in VR really makes it seem fresh. I literally cackled when I first shot fire out of my hands. Melee combat is pretty floaty and sort of unsatisfying since there is obviously no 'weight' behind swinging a weapon or being blocked, but shooting arrows and casting spells is really fun.

Another poster recommended the VR throwable melee weapons mod, and I have to say it's pretty satisfying to lob axes at enemies' heads and force pull them back to you. Plus it levels up your melee weapon skills without having to, you know, actually take part in the unsatisfying melee combat.

God I wish somebody could combine Skyrim with the melee combat of Blade and Sorcery. I like Blade and Sorcery but it's barely even a game.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Turin Turambar posted:

I will do the hot take of not recommending Pistol Whip. They have fleshed out the game in the last months with more songs than it had at release and even a mini campaign with story but... the game exists as an awkward hybrid between gallery shooter and rhythm game and it's gets very samey. From a shooter perspective it's pretty worthless, you always advance in the same direction, at the same pace, in the same straight line (it could make sharp 90º turns just to give it a false sense of movement, but nope), against the same two enemies, with the same pistol. From a rhythm game perspective, it's poor because you barely win more points if you happen to trigger the pistol on a regular beat, that's it. That's the whole thing, musically speaking.
With that description you may understand why I say it's 'samey' as a shooter, but it also is as a rhythm game! It isn't like Beat Saber where I feel there is enough elements to make each song different. So even if now it has twice the tracks that it had before, they all play almost the same, just with different background music.

It makes for a good exercise, though.

yeah agreed, its alright but its not great. i would be happy to have not bought it

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

King Vidiot posted:

Another poster recommended the VR throwable melee weapons mod, and I have to say it's pretty satisfying to lob axes at enemies' heads and force pull them back to you. Plus it levels up your melee weapon skills without having to, you know, actually take part in the unsatisfying melee combat.

God I wish somebody could combine Skyrim with the melee combat of Blade and Sorcery. I like Blade and Sorcery but it's barely even a game.

Yes, Weapon Throw VR is a stupid amount of fun. It basically makes you feel like Thor throwing your hammer, and it makes things you hit ragdoll like crazy so you can launch them off of cliffs and stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never played through the first two half life games. Is it worth playing through them in 2020 before alyx? And if so which ones? Saw there's an hf2: episode 1 and 2 as well but dunno how long they are. I have them but gauging if it's worth the time or just reading a plot summary in case they play like poo poo in modern times.

KakerMix posted:

Play Black Mesa instead of HL1, then play HL2 and the expansions. Then play Alyx, if you can.

I still replay HL1 and HL2 through every couple years, still fantastic. Black Mesa does a lot to smooth HL1 over graphically which I find helps a lot.

Order I'd go about it is playing either Black Mesa or HL2 first, then the other one, then the EP1 & EP2 if you really want more. The EPs are solid bonus content but feel exactly like HL2, its just more HL2, HL2 was better. EP2 I like more than EP1 but still, start with both of the main games for sure.

The thing about HL1 and HL2 is they're sort of old fashioned FPS games by modern standards, so there's a whole lot of weird crouch-jump type platforming that back in the day was exceptionally common and even cool, but today feels very clunky and outdated and may be weird for someone who wasn't part of those old games in the first place. HL2 is a pretty guided experience but HL1 is very mazelike. That said, its a great game and not too hard or anything so I'd at least give it a shot even if you don't finish the whole thing.

Lots of us have nostalgia for the original but if you never played it just start with Black Mesa instead, I agree with KakerMix.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Also tried out Myst VR and it's really good but... we need Riven VR so much more than we need Myst VR

Riven's puzzles are even harder, so it makes sense to me to start with Myst. Riven is more beautiful but also feels very different.

And honestly as much as I love Riven myself, the lack of other ages is a big bummer. (Yes I know technically there's a couple but the time you spend outside Riven is extremely slight)

I love the variety each Myst age gives you in the tone and feel of everything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As for half life games, play them all, they are genre defining games and hugely important to the video game world in general

I’d say for HL1, play through the VR version if you want, or do Black Mesa. HL1 is drat near perfect but Black Mesa irons out the couple wrinkles it has

For HL2, play through them in order. They are set in the same world as Alyx and feature the same characters and I would argue it’s very worth it to know Alyx the character before you play the game. Alyx (the game) informs and builds on a lot of the character traits you see in Alyx in the half life games.

I mean, they’re all bona fide classics and I can’t imagine not wanting to play them, personally.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Desdinova posted:

Does this work when my PC isn't connected to the router via ethernet?

My link isn't working atm so I'd quite like Virtual Desktop to not have high latency for PCVR - which so far hasn't worked well due to lag, and the other people in the house wouldn't be too impressed if I disconnected their wireless.

If your PC is connected to your WiFi router, it counts as another wireless device. And if you have too many active wireless devices, they take turns communicating, especially if they don't support MU-MIMO. And if they are taking turns, that means they are waiting for their turn, which means latency increases.

That's why my friend bought a tri-band router. Each Quest would have a whole band dedicated to themselves.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is Half Life 1 and 2 pretty easy to get rolling in VR with?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Are there any goons that play Onward?

Got a quest 2, and would like to try to play with goons like I used to in my Xbox 360 days.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
There's also an unofficial Half-Life game, Hunt Down The Freeman, that you should not play under any circumstances.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

So is Half Life 1 and 2 pretty easy to get rolling in VR with?

Half-life 1 VR is a go

Half-life 2 VR is playing each of the maps through gary's mod with a VR mod installed... It's not so good

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The Bananana posted:

Are there any goons that play Onward?

Got a quest 2, and would like to try to play with goons like I used to in my Xbox 360 days.

I do! Got it the other day. Username is same as my forums handle. I’m not a 100% tacticlol dweeb but I do say things like “contact north” and poo poo.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

What we actually really need is Uru VR but I'll settle for Riven.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I do! Got it the other day. Username is same as my forums handle. I’m not a 100% tacticlol dweeb but I do say things like “contact north” and poo poo.

Cool. Do... is there like... a friend request system in the quest?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I never played a halflife before Alyx because its like generic late 90s fps:the series where all the characters are vauge scientists and the at the time innovative storytelling and physics just don't hold up in 2020.

Like don't get me wrong the actual character writing, world design and background lore are top notch but god does it still feel like a story a bunch of nerds came up with about a super cool action scientist. Also gently caress the G-Man that poo poo was mysterious back in HL1 but god I'm done with being expected to be blown away by the latest glimpsed appearance of Valve's walking deus ex machina dispenser. Like great we're never going to find out what his deal is and all he ever does is collect playable characters and put them in cryostasis who has the energy for this puzzle box bullshit layer of cosmic intrigue when we're waiting entire decades between games just to see if Gordy Fman will get on the helicopter and finally go to the next level.

Tldr halflife is bullshit play alyx whenever you want you'd need a wiki to follow whats going on at the end anyway.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Another Reverb update: Beat Saber also has its own internal supersampling. After setting that back to 1.0, and leaving steam set to 98% (which is a substantial oversample), I am able to play beat saber mostly with no problems. The TL;DR on all this is "shut off supersampling in all my games and just let SteamVR handle it because it does it better, with the possible exception of Asetto Corsa Competizone which seems to run best with only a very slight oversample in SteamVR, and then tweaks to its internal supersample.

Alyx seems bugged right now in that I can't find a working controller map, but given that's a Valve internal title, it's going to get TLC sooner than later (and the steamVR beta channel seems to be getting quite regular updates now, includiing fixes for the Reverb.

It's certainly possible there's still something real smelly in the Big Green drivers -- 3080's are not outperforming 2080s as we'd expect in many cases. However, I think it's also the case that multiplication is just biting me in the rear end here.

Here are native res (per eye) followed by default supersample SteamVR res:
Rift S: 1080x1200, 1328x1584 (= 1,296,000... 2,103,552)
Reverb G2: 2160x2160, 3164x3096 (= 4,665,600... 9,795,744)

multiply by two for each eye, and then by 1.4 for Beatsaber's own SS -- that gives me 5,889,946 pixels for this frame rendered in the Rift S, vs 27,428,083 pixels for the G2 (compared to 19,591,488 per frame with Beatsaber's own SS disabled).

Put more simply it seems like there is some threshold, and when it's exceeded some unhandled error occurs, tracking momentarily gets lost and the headset gets wonky.

Early adopter tax. Whatever. Stuff mostly works and it looks loving amazing. Given that we're 2 months into a launch and it's only now that people are starting to get units in number, I don't have much concern that all this poo poo won't eventually be smoothed over, and it's not holding me back in the meantime (besides Alyx).

I am planning on getting Index Knuckles to use, eventually, but $$$$.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Also nobody responded to my post asking what realistic gun game it is that teaches you how to clear a room with a pistol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Junk posted:

Also nobody responded to my post asking what realistic gun game it is that teaches you how to clear a room with a pistol

They were talking about Hotdogs Horseshoes and hand grenades.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Junk posted:

Without context, this post is slightly worrying.

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.
So, I've owned an Index for a while now and it's developed an odd problem. When I first boot up SteamVR, there's no audio output until I go into the device manager and have it scan for new hardware. Has anyone else run into this?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Without context, this post is slightly worrying.

yes how shocking that someone would play a video game with guns in it :rolleyes:

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

For those complaining about Beat Saber's music selection, you might want to try http://moonrider.xyz

It's inferior to modded Beat Saber in most ways, but:
1) It's free
2) You just open it up in a web browser, no installation
3) It has a reasonable sampling of songs from beatsaver.com already selected

Baby Proof fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 3, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

Hl1 is an all time classic everyone should play but, doesn't real tie into anything in alyx outside of some name drops (though, theres also a VR version of HL1 you can play through a mod). Hl2 is an ok mid 2000's shooter that... has a lot of rough edges in pacing, sequences that go on too long and get annoying and didn't age as well, but its the one you would want to play as it features the characters and setting from alyx.

That said you're not missing anything if you just play alyx, theres not really much in the way of plot or background that gets explained by playing hl2 that you wouldn't just pick up the same from jumping straight to alyx. I never played the episodes though, so I don't know how they hold up, or if they delve more into story stuff that might relate to alyx. Really though the plot itself of alyx is pretty basic and theres no twists and turns plot wise that will make you wonder whats going on even if you never play a half life game.

Basically, play the other ones if you want or just jump into alyx, either way its not really going to effect your alyx experience beyond "oh i recognize that monster/name drop from the other games".

That is completely untrue though; HL: Alyx REALLY wants you to have played HL2 and both episodes because it ends on undoing the big cliffhanger ending of Episode 2 with zero context and setting up to continue on from there.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Does anyone have a wireless router recommendation for Quest 2 VD? I bought a TPLink 1500ax and I've tested so many configurations only to find that it's wildly unstable. I get random stutters and unpredictable runaway network latency spikes

Is it even possible to get a consistent connection without stutters using VD? :negative:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

playground tough posted:

Does anyone have a wireless router recommendation for Quest 2 VD? I bought a TPLink 1500ax and I've tested so many configurations only to find that it's wildly unstable. I get random stutters and unpredictable runaway network latency spikes

Is it even possible to get a consistent connection without stutters using VD? :negative:

I'm using a pretty standard Archer C7/AC1750 and Virtual Desktop is almost flawless both in the same room as the router or in the next room over. I live in a crowded apartment complex with tons of other networks and appliances around me so I figured it'd be poo poo but I haven't even taken the link cable I bought out of the bag it works that well. You're on the 5GHz network I assume? Have you checked out the activity monitor in Steam VR to see if maybe your hardware is holding you back? Dunno what else to say, I was personally blown away with how well it worked for me considering I can't even reliably use in-home streaming over Steam through my wifi.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

explosivo posted:

I'm using a pretty standard Archer C7/AC1750 and Virtual Desktop is almost flawless both in the same room as the router or in the next room over. I live in a crowded apartment complex with tons of other networks and appliances around me so I figured it'd be poo poo but I haven't even taken the link cable I bought out of the bag it works that well. You're on the 5GHz network I assume? Have you checked out the activity monitor in Steam VR to see if maybe your hardware is holding you back? Dunno what else to say, I was personally blown away with how well it worked for me considering I can't even reliably use in-home streaming over Steam through my wifi.

I've hit all of the debugging marks and yeah am using dedicated 5ghz here. My hardware shouldn't be an issue as I have ample headroom in steam's frame-timing charts.

Sorry to ask such a poo poo question lol but it's been so frustrating trying to get good performance. Learning now that a bunch of people have issues with the specific router I'm using so I messed up buying it.

My ideal setup would be a cheap but reliable router creating an isolated network for my desktop and quest so I will check that one out, thanks. It's good to know that consistent performance can be had in an apartment building on a budget!

I've also considered just getting some overkill router but the router market is so confusing I don't even know what's good

playground tough fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 3, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

No it's cool, I get it, poo poo's real frustrating. You definitely shouldn't need a convoluted network setup if my experience is any indication though.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

playground tough posted:

I've run VD over both an Archer VR1600v v2 (my ISP provided router) and an Asus RT-AC66U and it's been fine on both of them. I've currently got the Asus set up with a wired connection to my desktop and running a dedicated 5ghz wifi network for my Quest 2 but even before that having my desktop on wifi as well with a couple of other devices it worked fine.

One thing I did have to do was select a specific video codec (didn't seem to matter which) because otherwise it tired to change every 5 min and caused a 1 second stutter.

I also downloaded an app for my phone to check what channels other wifi networks around me were on and put the VR wifi network as far from everything else as I could.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Junk posted:

yes how shocking that someone would play a video game with guns in it :rolleyes:

More how you are eager to ‘clear’ a room like it’s some real world training exercise for ??? is what came off a bit weird.

The answer is always hotdogs horseshoes & hand grenades if you want gun fidelity. Although if you can train yourself to accept the oddness of smooth motion Boneworks has a lot of modes and is more fun to me personally.

The last two nights I’ve stayed up too late playing Pavlov vr. It’s basically counter strike vr and a lot of fun. I’m curious how ONWARD compares.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
There should be a discord for VR goons looking for people to play with

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Reek posted:

There should be a discord for VR goons looking for people to play with

There is, in the top of the OP.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Shine posted:

There is, in the top of the OP.

well dang, there ya go. joined!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

More how you are eager to ‘clear’ a room like it’s some real world training exercise for ??? is what came off a bit weird.

Someone literally ITT said there was a VR game that let you do this and I said it sounded fun and wanted to know what it was called. Did I miss something and now playing games where you shoot people is taboo now?

"like it's some real world training exercise" give me a loving break, you literally sound like one of those 90's moral outrage lunatics all up in arms about Grand Theft Auto brainwashing the kids.

Junk fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 3, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Junk posted:

Someone literally ITT said there was a VR game that let you do this and I said it sounded fun and wanted to know what it was called. Did I miss something and now playing games where you shoot people is taboo now?

"like it's some real world training exercise" give me a loving break, you literally sound like one of those 90's moral outrage lunatics all up in arms about Grand Theft Auto brainwashing the kids.

dae remember the goon who was asking about what kind of birdshot is best for scaring intruders then ended up shooting his uncle or something?

real answer: I think pavlov is probably the best one that I've played

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Junk posted:

Uuuhh okay