Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

kidcoelacanth posted:

Mr. Mr. Boop

I don't think I've ever felt the same kind of dread of fear as the dread that last strip instilled in me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I wonder how many strips Batuik has drawn over the years has been about old men complaining about how hard working out is

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Mr Boop has had its high peaks and its low valleys but at the very least it got me interested in the old Boop cartoons. Those have been pretty fun, aside from the general problems of all media from the 30s. I get why that man loves his wife so much.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set gets a big ol' OOF from me.

Working Daze is lazy.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Cul De Sac is waiting for the heat to die down.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Monster Rally - 1950

Over in Goons with Spoons, they're not seeing the joke.

(either nudity or coarse cultural interpretation. In either case, Addams once again making the point that things are the same, everywhere)

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/in-john-they-trust-109294882/

Jesus.

Over in Pet Island, they're not seeing the joke

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 3, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I'm going to be saying this a lot I think, but this has always been one of my favourites.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I got to say I need to follow this thread more, especially with how nice it is that Far Side can be posted without making Gary Larson mad

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Modesty Blaise is really unique in how Modesty has multiple casual boyfriends across the globe and it's never portrayed as a bad thing. Her boyfriends understand that Modesty can choose to spend months with one of them and none of them get jealous about it or think bad of the others.

Wait, "virtual" high five, as in these two were having a video conference online? I thought she was visiting her husband in prison, there's even an intercom right there.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I got to say I need to follow this thread more, especially with how nice it is that Far Side can be posted without making Gary Larson mad

the new Far Side cartoons he's made are a delight

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Parahexavoctal posted:

Oh, that's an interesting detail - she wishes he'd have it shaved off, not shave it off.

The bond between barber and blade is sacred, never should the two be parted for such foolishness as self-shaving.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

For the manatees!

When did Mark Trail get cool, drat?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Someone remind me to post some retro information from last year’s thread on farms and barbershops

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Parahexavoctal posted:

And, to be more clear, that's an edit: panels 1 and 2 are from different strips.

So, there's no direct evidence from the second panel. I wasted a lot of time looking at that badge on his vest.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

and I also post Foxtrot as well. Started in 1988 by Bill Amend. It ran daily until the end of 2006, when it turned to Sunday only. It's tech jokes + family slice of life, with better timing than Holbrook has ever managed. Amend actually understands technology.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Someone remind me to post some retro information from last year’s thread on farms and barbershops
post some retro information from last year's thread on farms and barbershops

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

nishi koichi posted:

i wish billingsley had more chances to stretch his artistic legs, he’s a great cartoonist
It's really unfortunate that he's a pretty terrible writer for the setting he's picked. Very occasionally he strikes gold, like this absolute masterpiece from last year:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (October 19-23, 1998)

First appearance (technically): Edgar the Lion.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories is a Finnish Sunday comic from the late 90s. It presents us various small scenarios where humans cause inconvenience and distress to each other. Sometimes these stories are harmless and slightly humorous, while some are just cruel. I believe that the original intention was to make the people look around and see small instances of cruelty that are happening around them (maybe even by them).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I hate everyone in this strip.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 5, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 5, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 5, 1989)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

that's what you get for being a bootlicker nancy

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/2/01

Brenda Starr 4/8/45

Smokey Stover 3/14-15/39

Did I mention Holman is shameless about recycling gags?

Richard's Poor Almanac

Geek's Neck ended up in Cul de Sac as the Otterloops' summer vacation town. Lurid Caverns is a reference to Luray Caverns in Western Virginia, a popular day trip from DC. And Big Pile State Park is, of course, inspired by the former Great Stone Face in New Hampshire.

Bonus Ad!

I just love the image of a canary cop with a tiny badge, cap, and gunbelt ... and smoking a pipe too, because why not?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rich Tweedy status: Still the loving worst

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis hasn't updated on CK yet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why does the sign say CHOWDER and not CHOWDAH

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

why does the sign say CHOWDER and not CHOWDAH
Because that's a Massachusetts accent, not Rhode Island.

It should be "Chouwduh".

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oof

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

Geek's Neck ended up in Cul de Sac as the Otterloops' summer vacation town. Lurid Caverns is a reference to Luray Caverns in Western Virginia, a popular day trip from DC. And Big Pile State Park is, of course, inspired by the former Great Stone Face in New Hampshire.

All it needs is Boston and this would contain every in-country trip I have taken in the past 10 years :stare:

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

:effort:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

gleebster posted:

So, there's no direct evidence from the second panel. I wasted a lot of time looking at that badge on his vest.

Sorry, I thought it would be obvious enough of an edit if I quoted the strip it was an edit of :(

The original is about buying War Bonds, but for some reason I couldn't stop cracking up at the second panel and saved it to occasionally edit onto other strips, because I'm creatively bankrupt:

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (November 17, 1917)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (May 22, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 6-7, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Apr 13, 2018)

(Apr 16, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Is...is he MEANT to look like Hitler in that "Five Monkeys" panel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Mr. Boop