Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

luchajones posted:

Stop giving people who make lovely movies more movies!

Or, you know, start making more mid-budget movies so that directors can do more than a $1 million indie or two, maybe one $20 million studio movie, before they are expected to control a franchise consisting of multiple $300+ million movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

colonelwest posted:

It’s going to take place after TROS though, so I guess it’s new characters flying for the New New Republic against the Empire 3.0? Basically they’re just using the name Rogue Squadron because things you know.

Oh gently caress me, that's even worse. They spent years - years! - hyping up "Alphabet Squadron" in the Disney EU. Lmao.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Jay losing the will to live 25 seconds into Wonder Woman 1984 is the best acting performance of 2021.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

LanceHunter posted:

Or, you know, start making more mid-budget movies so that directors can do more than a $1 million indie or two, maybe one $20 million studio movie, before they are expected to control a franchise consisting of multiple $300+ million movies.

it really is odd how it keeps happening

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kind of seems like the thing with the Rogue Squadron video game property is you should make video games out of it. Star Wars is a very good fit for that, as well as episodic TV as shown by the first and (most of) second season of Mando. After the original trilogy, I don't think it's a good fit for full movies any more.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Giga Gaia posted:

it really is odd how it keeps happening

Like, when Raimi got tapped to make Spider-Man it was seen as this wild, super-unconventional choice. But even though he was the “Evil Dead guy” he had 6 mainstream mid-budget movies under his belt. When Peter Jackson did Lord of the Rings he was the weird guy from New Zealand, but he’d done a lot of work by then as well. The problem is that those two exemptions became the standard.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Saw Soul, it had a ton of that Pixar style but I felt the substance was lacking. I feel like the messages of passion and purpose and life being worth living were kind of muddled together instead of properly blended and it made for an incoherent moral.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Randarkman posted:

Kind of seems like the thing with the Rogue Squadron video game property is you should make video games out of it. Star Wars is a very good fit for that, as well as episodic TV as shown by the first and (most of) second season of Mando. After the original trilogy, I don't think it's a good fit for full movies any more.

They can make a good movie out of Mando if they focus on the small scope and interesting alien landscape.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stephenthinkpad posted:

They can make a good movie out of Mando if they focus on the small scope and interesting alien landscape.

Somebody already made a 2-part Mando film series by cutting the first season together into 2.5 hour films. Haven't gotten to watch it yet, but seems neato.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

LanceHunter posted:

Like, when Raimi got tapped to make Spider-Man it was seen as this wild, super-unconventional choice. But even though he was the “Evil Dead guy” he had 6 mainstream mid-budget movies under his belt. When Peter Jackson did Lord of the Rings he was the weird guy from New Zealand, but he’d done a lot of work by then as well. The problem is that those two exemptions became the standard.

when i was in university i wrote these 4 short scripts that my buddy directed and we got a really good performance out of our non-actor friend. i just think about them handing him a billion dollar franchise and laugh

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Taintrunner posted:

Somebody already made a 2-part Mando film series by cutting the first season together into 2.5 hour films. Haven't gotten to watch it yet, but seems neato.

It’s not this, but I’ll take any excuse to re-post this:

https://youtu.be/IJH_RbnrGUs

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

colonelwest posted:

It’s going to take place after TROS though, so I guess it’s new characters flying for the New New Republic against the Empire 3.0? Basically they’re just using the name Rogue Squadron because things you know.

Nothing has been shown that this is true. It'll be post Jedi because no one gives a gently caress about TFA and beyond

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
When will they remake Darkman?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

Internet movie nerds love fetishisizing the mid-budget movie but modern television has basically filled that role infinitely better.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Internet movie nerds love fetishisizing the mid-budget movie but modern television has basically filled that role infinitely better.

Modern television definitely fills that role for audiences, but television directing is so different from feature directing that it is not nearly as effective as a training ground.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

George H.W. oval office posted:

Nothing has been shown that this is true. It'll be post Jedi because no one gives a gently caress about TFA and beyond

Not 100% but from the announcement it sounds like it’s going to take place after the ST.

The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

I was about to say this myself but... https://www.starwars.com/news/future-lucasfilm-projects-revealed

quote:

The next Star Wars feature film will be Rogue Squadron — directed by Patty Jenkins (Wonder Woman franchise). The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.

Depends on exactly what's meant by "future era." New generation almost certainly means well past OT but it could be somewhere deep in that 30 year gap.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just gonna x-post this from c-spam but here's the world's worst star trek opinion

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1345561216396234754

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Taintrunner posted:

just gonna x-post this from c-spam but here's the world's worst star trek opinion

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1345561216396234754

the same great minds that were aghast to learn that starfleet with their torpedos and laser guns were a military?

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1309274138696130561?lang=en

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

starfleet isn't a military lol, not until DS9 where it literally has to become one

That's like the most shortsighted woke star trek take that you can make

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

AHH F/UGH posted:

starfleet isn't a military lol, not until DS9 where it literally has to become one

That's like the most shortsighted woke star trek take that you can make

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfleet
Starfleet is a fictional organization in the Star Trek media franchise. Within this fictional universe, Starfleet is a uniformed space force maintained by the United Federation of Planets ("the Federation") as the principal means for conducting deep space exploration, research, defense, peacekeeping, and diplomacy

sounds like one

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If it weren’t for Starfleet you’d all be speaking klingon! Plus it took them getting their rear end kicked to realize they were actually pacifists.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I googled klingon and am not seeing a lot of white ones. Is that why the Federation is in a war with them?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

luchajones posted:

I googled klingon and am not seeing a lot of white ones. Is that why the Federation is in a war with them?

They got oil!!

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Seeing as all peaceful species get "borged", I think it's ok that star fleet has weapons.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I mean these guys are idiots who don’t really understand the franchise and just want to project their stupid self-righteous Youtuber energy, but Starfleet is the Federation’s military. It has military ranks, a military command structure, a military code of justice, its ships carry weapons that could devastate an entire planet, it’s referred to as “the military” by characters on multiple occasions, and it is the only organization that the Federation can call on for foreign defense.

You also don’t have to read too far into canon to see that it’s actually pretty lovely and anti-democratic, though it’s (mostly) run by well intentioned people. Most of the Federation’s citizens are so disconnected from what Starfleet does out on the frontier that it has almost no oversight. It essentially sets Federation policy out there with only some vague direction from the Council, and there are dozens of evil admirals who have basically gone rogue. By the time of DS9, the threats from the Borg and Dominion have made it so powerful that it can essentially do whatever it wants, including launching a coup against the government.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

colonelwest posted:

I mean these guys are idiots who don’t really understand the franchise and just want to project their stupid self-righteous Youtuber energy, but Starfleet is the Federation’s military. It has military ranks, a military command structure, a military code of justice, its ships carry weapons that could devastate an entire planet, it’s referred to as “the military” by characters on multiple occasions, and it is the only organization that the Federation can call on for foreign defense.

You also don’t have to read too far into canon to see that it’s actually pretty lovely and anti-democratic, though it’s (mostly) run by well intentioned people. Most of the Federation’s citizens are so disconnected from what Starfleet does out on the frontier that it has almost no oversight. It essentially sets Federation policy out there with only some vague direction from the Council, and there are dozens of evil admirals who have basically gone rogue. By the time of DS9, the threats from the Borg and Dominion have made it so powerful that it can essentially do whatever it wants, including launching a coup against the government.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

The idea of adapting Rogue Squadron to a movie is so loving batshit, because if you remember the original games, it was just filling in the gaps between the movies - and it kicked rear end! Didn't go over the top, relatively grounded, and you got to hang out with Luke and Wedge and the rest of the star warriors. There really isn't a story there.

So yeah, Jenkins is doomed from the start.

There was also a comic book series, and all those X-Wing books were about Rogue Squadron too.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

You aren't going to get good games no matter what until EA fucks off.

PostNouveau posted:

There was also a comic book series, and all those X-Wing books were about Rogue Squadron too.

Let's not give them any ideas to ruin those.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pre Dominion War Starfleet's role as a military apparatus is kind of like Japan's relationship with Article 9 where they have a military in everything but name and it's only kept from being outright called the military because it's easier to live with the false sense of it being a "defense force" than to admit that they're sitting on a shitload of top of the line military hardware and that saying otherwise is hypocritical.

Of course starfleet isn't getting funded and supplied by the largest warmongering military force on earth, and when it does come time for major armed operations starfleet is so strapped for ships that they pull 80 year old vessels out of mothballs to fill out the numbers.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

quote:

You aren't going to get good games no matter what until EA fucks off.

I thought that Jedi: Fallen Order was pretty good plus the new Squadrons game has been pretty fun as well.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

Surprised that Disney sees any demand for this kind of story. I guess how this series is received will determine if Disney will bother with other sequel-era stories. Not sure what kind of antagonist they could use.

Also I wonder wtf was up with the production of WW84. I've only heard good things about the original so I wonder what happened to make the sequel so bad.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Actually, some of them were about Wraith Squadron. Those were the best ones.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

The UN peacekeepers are really tripping me out with the fact that they’ve got these weapons, I mean you could even say they’re a military if you really think about it *eats bite of turd with fork and knife*

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AHH F/UGH posted:

The UN peacekeepers are really tripping me out with the fact that they’ve got these weapons, I mean you could even say they’re a military if you really think about it *eats bite of turd with fork and knife*

UN Peacekeepers are rapists. Not really keeping the peace huh

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

:laffo:

Shameless U.S. military commercial here.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

NOT MUCH, WAHTS GOROG WITH YOU?M?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

luchajones posted:

Patty Jenkins was always bad!

Patty Jenkem

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

in a way it could be a good thing for the show that she's so passionate about flying or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

CODChimera posted:

in a way it could be a good thing for the show that she's so passionate about flying or whatever?

Makes sense, as long as she can translate that to people who don't care much about flying?
I didn't care about wonder woman before and now....oh