Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
its like the metaphor of stepping on your own dick except your feet are also strapped with metal spikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Well this is unreadable now because everyone has their own pet twitter personality and they all have the same general level of authority and respectability but they're all saying different things.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

When the vaccines were announced in... late November? all my friends were like "oh great, we will be back to normal by late Spring!"

A few of them went so far as to make travel plans by booking lodging and purchasing plane tickets.

Personally though? I think we'll be lucky if we have 30 million people receive their first doses by March.

We’re already over 500k administered per day, so we’d have to slow down from here to only do 30 million by March.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well this is unreadable now because everyone has their own pet twitter personality and they all have the same general level of authority and respectability but they're all saying different things.

yeah just skimming these 'threads ' makes me understand that some dudes are mutating the virus on purpose to simulate vaccination techniques versus a mutated virus
when he should be knocking on old folks doors and stabbing them in the arm

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

When the vaccines were announced in... late November? all my friends were like "oh great, we will be back to normal by late Spring!"

A few of them went so far as to make travel plans by booking lodging and purchasing plane tickets.

Personally though? I think we'll be lucky if we have 30 million people receive their first doses by March.

I'm hoping it ramps up once Biden is in office. It's pretty apparent Trump is dragging his feet on literally everything considering that all the places with the vaccine have no marching orders or really anything.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'm hoping it ramps up once Biden is in office. It's pretty apparent Trump is dragging his feet on literally everything considering that all the places with the vaccine have no marching orders or really anything.

I also hope that, but Biden hasn't really stated any actual plan to ramp up vaccine delivery, his "we'll deliver 100 million doses" promise is about par for where we're going to be at anyway and a lot of non-Trump poo poo is also driving the car into one tree after another. E.g., the Democratic governor of NY just threatened to fine medical staff a million dollars and strip them of their licenses if they put a needle in the wrong arm.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Oldest Man posted:

I also hope that, but Biden hasn't really stated any actual plan to ramp up vaccine delivery, his "we'll deliver 100 million doses" promise is about par for where we're going to be at anyway and a lot of non-Trump poo poo is also driving the car into one tree after another. E.g., the Democratic governor of NY just threatened to fine medical staff a million dollars and strip them of their licenses if they put a needle in the wrong arm.

yea I have no idea why anyone thinks Biden will improve this, he's released no plan other than a vague 'just do it' thing which is basically the Trump plan. He has no solution to the looming issue of 'what's going to happen if millions of vaccine doses go bad before we can even give them to anyone because we have no top level support and vague 'uh give it to people who, ya know, REALLY need it first' and bullshit like 'if you give those vaccines to elderly people before I say you may I'll fine you' resulting from it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Regarde Aduck posted:

A thread rule against embedding Twitter posts might be a good idea. It's doomsayers cancelling out anti-doomsayers and nothing is gained.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's not accurate, parts of the plan were in the press briefing.

https://twitter.com/Transition46/status/1344021204265558018?s=20

Here is the transcript: https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/joe-biden-speech-transcript-on-covid-19-vaccination-efforts-falling-far-behind

But it's more concisely laid out in the COVID-19 section of the Transition website here: https://buildbackbetter.gov/priorities/covid-19/

It includes specifics such as:

quote:

Stand up a Pandemic Testing Board like Roosevelt’s War Production Board. It’s how we produced tanks, planes, uniforms, and supplies in record time, and it’s how we will produce and distribute tens of millions of tests.

Establish a U.S. Public Health Jobs Corps to mobilize at least 100,000 Americans across the country with support from trusted local organizations in communities most at risk to perform culturally competent approaches to contact tracing and protecting at-risk populations.

Fully use the Defense Production Act to ramp up production of masks, face shields, and other PPE so that the national supply of personal protective equipment exceeds demand and our stores and stockpiles — especially in hard-hit areas that serve disproportionately vulnerable populations — are fully replenished.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

LifeLynx posted:

A thread rule against embedding Twitter posts might be a good idea. It's doomsayers cancelling out anti-doomsayers and nothing is gained.

Or you can always, you know, click the tweet, look at the author's credentials and read the follow-ups.

Embedding is a useful way to summarize information.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

That's cool, but we were talking about vaccine delivery.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
These stories are going to continue to come at a 1:1 ratio of terrible rollout states and otherwise I bet

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Jealous Cow posted:

We’re already over 500k administered per day, so we’d have to slow down from here to only do 30 million by March.

I know but I think this is optimistic because once we've vaccinated the low-hanging fruit (i.e. people who work at hospitals and clinics, people who live in nursing homes... i.e. people whose identities and locations we already know), it'll become only more chaotic.

I hope I'm wrong though!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How exactly is Biden supposed to speed up vaccine manfucturing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

cr0y posted:

Our current woes seem to be more on the distribution logistics side than manufacturing, but either way, my point is that I would not expect February or March to be less of a shitshow with vaccine deployment because Trump is gone and I would definitely not be making any nonrefundable travel plans earlier than next Christmas.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
We don't have a problem with manufacturing it really seems like the problem is getting shots into arms. Which Biden could solve by saying active duty corpsmen etc.. trained on giving shots then sending them en masse to the states, something that is not being done except on a state level with National Guard helping out in some states.

There'ss a lot Biden can do.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

cr0y posted:

Perhaps some kind of industrial policy other than let everyone do whatever the gently caress they want all the time?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He is not currently the president, that's January 20.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The problem really seems getting shots in arms and that's only going to be solved with a mass influx of people capable of giving the shot and then coordinating with the states for those people to get in position to give shots.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pick posted:

He is not currently the president, that's January 20.

Goalposts breaking the sound barrier in here today

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Obama actually had some competent bureaucrats and everyone thinks that Biden is going to be a third Obama term due to his hiring so I imagine there's going to be some improvement

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

sleep with the vicious posted:

Perhaps some kind of industrial policy other than let everyone do whatever the gently caress they want all the time?

I might be wrong but I'd imagine the pharma companies are making as much as humanly possible as fast as they possibly can.

This isn't the type of thing that you can say "Hey ford start making vaccines" if that's what you mean?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Biden plans on using the DPA to boost production.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2020-12-28/biden-to-invoke-defense-production-act-to-ramp-up-coronavirus-vaccine-production

Pfizer has asked for this. I think the Trump admin has only used it to force workers back into pork processing plants.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I feel like there might be some policy differences between the guy that says "covid deaths are made up" and "fighting covid is a top priority".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Really just having the federal response go back to standard levels of bureaucratic incompetence will be a delightful relief from the current approach of active sabotage. There will still be plenty of active sabotage to go around at the state and local levels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

brugroffil posted:

Biden plans on using the DPA to boost production.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2020-12-28/biden-to-invoke-defense-production-act-to-ramp-up-coronavirus-vaccine-production

Pfizer has asked for this. I think the Trump admin has only used it to force workers back into pork processing plants.

Reminder that Trump's idea of invoking the DPA was to say "I DECLARE DEFENSE PRODUCTION ACT" like Steve Carell and then get confused when people explained to him that you have to actually give specific orders to companies now and never get around to that part

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

That's not accurate, parts of the plan were in the press briefing.

https://twitter.com/Transition46/status/1344021204265558018?s=20

Here is the transcript: https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/joe-biden-speech-transcript-on-covid-19-vaccination-efforts-falling-far-behind

But it's more concisely laid out in the COVID-19 section of the Transition website here: https://buildbackbetter.gov/priorities/covid-19/

It includes specifics such as:

the question was about getting vaccines in human bodies not testing

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

haveblue posted:

Reminder that Trump's idea of invoking the DPA was to say "I DECLARE DEFENSE PRODUCTION ACT" like Steve Carell and then get confused when people explained to him that you have to actually give specific orders to companies now and never get around to that part

As mentioned above, he made a bunch of pork plant workers get back to their production line.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I know but I think this is optimistic because once we've vaccinated the low-hanging fruit (i.e. people who work at hospitals and clinics, people who live in nursing homes... i.e. people whose identities and locations we already know), it'll become only more chaotic.

I hope I'm wrong though!

The thing causing the issues now is a combination of:

1) complex eligibility requirements

And

2) no coordinated mechanism to identify and track eligible recipients

Once the eligibility requirements are relaxed it’ll start to look like the annual flu vaccine process.

Green Nail Polish
Nov 15, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

Cuomo appears to be obsessed with 100% vaccinating nursing home residents before moving on to vaccinate anybody else. Clearly he's a little upset about having killed so many of them back in March.

He might not be wrong. Time will tell if the strategy of "make sure the most vulnerable are vaccinated first" is better than the Florida-style strategy of throwing open the gate to anyone over age 65.

The best strategy would of course be Israel's, aka "don't take a loving holiday off during a pandemic and vaccinate your entire population right away."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Green Nail Polish posted:

Cuomo appears to be obsessed with 100% vaccinating nursing home residents before moving on to vaccinate anybody else. Clearly he's a little upset about having killed so many of them back in March.

He might not be wrong. Time will tell if the strategy of "make sure the most vulnerable are vaccinated first" is better than the Florida-style strategy of throwing open the gate to anyone over age 65.

The best strategy would of course be Israel's, aka "don't take a loving holiday off during a pandemic and vaccinate your entire population right away."

Threatening medical providers with a million dollar fine and loss of their license for vaccinating the wrong person is straight up a cudgel to use against his political enemies and it will 100% result in vaccine doses expiring on the shelf. Launch Cuomo into the loving sun.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh God

https://twitter.com/mariannefavro/status/1345723045164404737

the juxtaposition between this goofy loving costume and the news associated with it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tesseraction posted:

Oh God

the juxtaposition between this goofy loving costume and the news associated with it

I'm laughing so loving hard at this. Like, yes no poo poo it's horrible and I'm sure this person feels horrible and this is a major issue, but jesus christ 'the one bit of attempted christmas cheer we got actually may have turbo-blasted Covid like a loving t-shirt cannon of plague' is just the most Covid era story.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tesseraction posted:

Oh God

Nightmare fuel

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'we regret to inform you that the delightful christmas tree that was hugging people may have been air blasting Covid through the halls, please report for testing right away if you enjoyed our christmas cheer'.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

I'm laughing so loving hard at this. Like, yes no poo poo it's horrible and I'm sure this person feels horrible and this is a major issue, but jesus christ 'the one bit of attempted christmas cheer we got actually may have turbo-blasted Covid like a loving t-shirt cannon of plague' is just the most Covid era story.

Major agree.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

sexpig by night posted:

Yeah seriously. The air blower must have made some noise, I'm sure people were standing around saying "uhhh is this a good idea?" but stayed for the free cake and ice cream.

I'm not a ghoul, I feel sorry that 7% of the population is going to die, but at least we're laughing all the way to Hell.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 3, 2021

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Why the eyes so far apart?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Green Nail Polish posted:

Opening the gate to everyone over 65 is unequivocally the right option for Florida though, given how many of the state's elderly are packed into senior communities, especially the whole stretch of the east coast between Ft. Lauderdale and Port St. Lucie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

An ITU doc in Wales (worth following if you can stand Twitter)

https://mobile.twitter.com/WelshGasDoc/status/1345138570613436416