Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Anyone have a recommendation for a feed style scanner? Don't want to spend a whole lot. Just something that will do a decent job with pictures and other documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I realized today that I plug my headset in after every use and it probably never goes below 85-90%. Is battery health in peripherals something to consider in 2021 or am I gravy?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Rolo posted:

I realized today that I plug my headset in after every use and it probably never goes below 85-90%. Is battery health in peripherals something to consider in 2021 or am I gravy?

Somebody more in tuned will probably be able to give a more solid answer.....but from what I understand......battery memory is no longer a thing with lithium ion; where you need to completely drain and completely charge every once in a while. Assuming that your headset isn't older than dirt.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a feed style scanner? Don't want to spend a whole lot. Just something that will do a decent job with pictures and other documents.

I don’t know of any cheap ones that can do photos as well as documents. My dad uses something like this for work, and he’s never complained about it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQZWPYN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_L.P8FbV5CF4ME

Maybe that and a traditional scanner for your photos?

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've never loaded any mp3s on so I don't know. I got mine in a sale and it was cheap enough I just paid the fee to remove adverts. Plus I run a pi-hole at home so I tend to have a low advert experience anyway. Worst case you should be able to side-load the ad-free music player of your choice.

I bought mine on ebay. Can I still pay to remove the ads? I heard the tablet should be connected to your Amazon account.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tablets I've had can have ads removed by paying on amazon. Also, it's really easy to sideload apps root kindles, etc. They are not super locked down at all.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Rolo posted:

Below about 20% and above 80% is where you'll reduce battery health the most. Fast charging is bad as well because it leads to higher battery temperature.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

LRADIKAL posted:

Tablets I've had can have ads removed by paying on amazon. Also, it's really easy to sideload apps root kindles, etc. They are not super locked down at all.

No. It's not easy at all to root a Fire tablet. Amazon is well aware that if there are any easy one-click root operations, then they'll miss out on a lot of ad revenue and extra dollars from ad-free tablets.

Here's a relevant example: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/fire-7-2019-mustang-unbrick-downgrade-unlock-root.3944365/

You can do it in software, which "will get you into bootrom mode by obtaining temporary root and temporarily bricking the device." The command involves zeroing out the first 4kB of the stock bootloader. Or, you can do it with hardware, which requires you to physically open up the tablet and short some debug pins. The whole thing requires a bare metal Linux installation (no VMs allowed).

It's not hard to load Play services (including the Play store) onto a Fire, but it takes a lot of work to get around Amazon's stock launcher and Android installation, on the hardware where that's even possible at all. And, of course, there are no guarantees about future compatibility with anything. If you already like playing with technology, Fire tablets can be a cheap, fun toy - but they're designed so that all the easy paths lead back into Amazon's walled garden.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have my old NES sitting around in perfectly working order. I wanna plug it into my PC. Ideally whatever device would just show up as, like, a generic webcam that I can view the feed in whatever app I like? VLC or something. Zoom. I don't know.

I dug out an old StarTech composite/s-video-to-USB adapter but man that thing's like a decade and a half old and the software doesn't seem to work on Windows 10. It's not even listed on their website anymore, but you can find the support page here: https://www.startech.com/en-us/audio-video-products/svid2usb2#support--section-downloads. Anyhow, it APPEARS to create a video input source but that doesn't work with any software I tried, including the decrepit "GrabBee" trash that is included with the drivers.

Any advice on a more modern adapter that might having functioning drivers? Doesn't have to be fancy, but the generic video input object would be a major selling point. Or tips on getting this older adapter to work. Either way, I'm not married to any particular approach.

It's easy enough to find endless composite-to-usb adapters on amazon, but the reviews frequently indicate they're tied to whatever lovely capture software the company provides.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 5, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkAxvmP2dTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daS5RHVAl2U

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 5, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

nitsuga posted:

I don’t know of any cheap ones that can do photos as well as documents. My dad uses something like this for work, and he’s never complained about it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQZWPYN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_L.P8FbV5CF4ME

Maybe that and a traditional scanner for your photos?

Well....my grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago and she had a ton of photos. I wanted to scan them all and upload them to a shared site for the family. I suppose I could just take some time to scan them individually.....because it really doesn't seem worth spending a few hundred dollars on one of these feed scanners for this one application.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sweet, thanks. I guess my Google was weak tonight.

He mentioned OBS Studio, which I went and grabbed, hadn’t heard of that before. It appears it actually IS able to read my old converter! So that’s cool. Nothing else I tried could. The old converter is providing a super glitchy signal though so I’ll definitely add in the other hardware, but this gives me immediate optimism for the whole project. 👍

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Well....my grandmother passed away a couple of weeks ago and she had a ton of photos. I wanted to scan them all and upload them to a shared site for the family. I suppose I could just take some time to scan them individually.....because it really doesn't seem worth spending a few hundred dollars on one of these feed scanners for this one application.

Check your local library for this kind of thing. Lots have either connections to other NGOs or gear you can use or loan. If it’s safe, of course.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

I need a recommendation on a micro sd card for my amazon fire 8 hd 2020. (Preferably 64gb) I looked everywhere and all i get are 50% negative reviews. Thanks in advance!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spacegrass posted:

I need a recommendation on a micro sd card for my amazon fire 8 hd 2020. (Preferably 64gb) I looked everywhere and all i get are 50% negative reviews. Thanks in advance!

Yeah I'd either get one from bestbuy or from amazon.com directly (not a 3rd party seller).

I'm betting a lot of the negative reviews are from people buying fakes from 3rd parties.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah SD card fakes are so pervasive that I would never order them online, even stuff shipped and sold by Amazon.

Best Buy is the same price anyways and if not they'll price match.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah SD card fakes are so pervasive that I would never order them online, even stuff shipped and sold by Amazon.

Best Buy is the same price anyways and if not they'll price match.

Amazon's commingled inventory system means that, for items that are supposed to be the same, they'll take your Sold And Shipped By Amazon.com order and fill it with inventory shipped in by Crazy Jimmy's Totally Reliable, 100% Legit Flash Media.

For anything that can be counterfeited, they've gradually turned into a very fast version of AliExpress.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Another goon and I bought some SD cards from amazon, found they were fakes with like 1/10th the actual amount of storage, and I had to chat for an hour with a manager to get them to actually look at pulling the product from Prime. Easy enough to get a refund but as far as actually doing anything about the problem I couldn't believe how little they cared about the fraudulent poo poo they were complicit in selling.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I hope this is the right thread to ask. I'm designing a home office setup, likely with dual monitors. I am trying to figure out a cabling and input device solution that will allow me to relatively easily switch between the following setups, 1) a desktop PC connected to both monitors, 2) either a single laptop or MacBook connected to both monitors, and 3) a laptop and MacBook each connected to one monitor.

The more specific use cases are 1) connect both work laptops, a HP (display port) and a MacBook (usb-c), to a separate monitor, 2) connect either the HP or the Macbook to both monitors, 3) connect my gaming pc (currently 1 HDMI, 3 Display Port) to both monitors on weekends, 4) allow my girlfriend to connect her work laptop (HDMI) to both monitors when I am at my office, and 5) allow my girlfriend to connect her personal laptop (HDMI) when I am on work trips.

Using RDP or any software / network based approach with my work laptops is not possible. I am still researching monitors and will likely be posting in the monitor thread soon, so I can't specify what connections will be available on that end yet.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
You can also buy flash storage straight from the manufacturer too, I bought a couple SD cards direct from Samsung a few days ago and it had free shipping.

Quick question, I need a few old 1980's IBM PS/2 components fixed, would anyone know a good place to get that done for a reasonable cost? Most won't touch anything that old.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Spacegrass posted:

I stopped buying even legit brand memory cards on ebay. Fake/defective cards are way too prevalent. But even legit sellers and legit cards can be prone to defects. So I always check the cards prior to use.

H2testw takes quite a while to run through the writing and reading process. But it will let you know whether your card has error, which usually means defects.

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

But this is why I always buy on Amazon now. No riffraff if you have issues.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

tuyop posted:

Check your local library for this kind of thing. Lots have either connections to other NGOs or gear you can use or loan. If it’s safe, of course.

Thanks. I was wondering about this.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I stopped buying even legit brand memory cards on ebay. Fake/defective cards are way too prevalent. But even legit sellers and legit cards can be prone to defects. So I always check the cards prior to use.

H2testw takes quite a while to run through the writing and reading process. But it will let you know whether your card has error, which usually means defects.

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

But this is why I always buy on Amazon now. No riffraff if you have issues.

Thanks. I ordered a Samsung Evo Select 128 GB on Amazon for $17. Hope it works. Money is tight right now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Even on Amazon, make sure it’s sold by Samsung or somewhere similar. Fakes are on there too.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
So I'm on windows 10, I'm the admin for my computer. I'm installing a new drive, but when I click on device manager, i get the administrator has blocked you error, system32/mmc.exe

Has anyone else come across this?

Same thing when I try to use disk management.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 8, 2021

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I hope this isn't a repeat, and I'm not sure if there is a better thread but apparently Linus Torvalds thinks consumers need ECC.

To summarize the article, Torvalds believes that there are errors showing up in kernel panics that could only be explained by errors in RAM. ArsTechnica states that 32% of Google servers report at least one RAM error per year. "At least one" could mean only one error or it could mean a whole lot of errors, I'm not certain if that seems like a concerning problem or not. If it was 1/3rd of all PCs experience a RAM error once a month then I would be concerned, but the numbers from Google via ArsTechnica don't seem serious. On the other hand, this could also be only the detected errors and actual errors could be much greater. As for what Torvalds thinks, ArsTechnica links to a realworldtech.com post from Torvalds, it's got a lot more details, but here Torvalds explains why he thinks ECC matters:

"Realworldtech.com posted:

We have decades of odd random kernel oopses that could never be explained and were likely due to bad memory. And if it causes a kernel oops, I can guarantee that there are several orders of magnitude more cases where it just caused a bit-flip that just never ended up being so critical.
The fact that Linus Torvalds, the top programmer on the Linux kernel, feels that this RAM errors are problem makes me think this could be an actual problem. It's well known that sometimes poo poo happens, the first troubleshooting step is often restart the app/pc, or unplug the device and plug it back in. If the problem doesn't come back, blame it on the lack of ECC RAM gremlins. Maybe random problems are really happening as a result of not having ECC RAM, maybe they're not, either way, I kinda think it would be just nice to have ECC RAM as one more way to (marginally) improve reliability.

On the other hand, I would like to know what the makers of Memtest think about this, I thought it's fairly common to hammer good RAM with several random patterns in an attempt to find errors and most PCs can run the test for hours. If you get an error with memtest then you throw away that stick of RAM and get a new stick off the shelf since RAM errors are so rare they are most likely a hardware problem and not simply cosmic rays flipping the bits.

I don't really like that Linus blames Intel for the slow adoption of ECC. I think he might have a point that Intel is responsible simply for not releasing consumer platforms that support ECC, however I think that is also a problem because, at least in older RAM versions (I'm not sure about DDR3/4) ECC RAM is keyed to where it physically can not be used in a non-ECC motherboard. If ECC RAM was a feature where consumers could buy one board and plug in either cheaper non-ECC RAM for games or ECC RAM for paranoid users then I think the market for ECC RAM would be better. I don't believe Intel alone is responsible for ECC RAM being keyed differently, but I think Torvalds has a valid point that Intel could have had the influence to spread ECC, or Intel could have chosen not to spread ECC to encourage market segregation between server and home hardware.

This is a completely separate debate, but if anything, I feel this is very similar to the 64bit transition, which I think Intel didn't handle well. I feel that Intel tried to release the Itanium as the 64bit CPU from Intel and that was a failure, then AMD released x86_64 CPUs supporting both 32 and 64bit instructions. It could be argued that AMD was the innovator by releasing 32/64 bit CPUs early, or it could be argued that Intel would have added their own 64bit extensions when the market was ready for 64bit.

tldr version: Linus Torvalds is a suprisingly hostile jerk who likes to refer to people as "babies who were dropped on their heads too many times" but I think he actually might have a valid point that ECC RAM should either be necessary, or just more widespread than it is now. At the very least, I just kinda want to have ECC on my next desktop even if it is only for bragging rights.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

I hope this isn't a repeat, and I'm not sure if there is a better thread but apparently Linus Torvalds thinks consumers need ECC.

To summarize the article, Torvalds believes that there are errors showing up in kernel panics that could only be explained by errors in RAM. ArsTechnica states that 32% of Google servers report at least one RAM error per year. "At least one" could mean only one error or it could mean a whole lot of errors, I'm not certain if that seems like a concerning problem or not. If it was 1/3rd of all PCs experience a RAM error once a month then I would be concerned, but the numbers from Google via ArsTechnica don't seem serious. On the other hand, this could also be only the detected errors and actual errors could be much greater. As for what Torvalds thinks, ArsTechnica links to a realworldtech.com post from Torvalds, it's got a lot more details, but here Torvalds explains why he thinks ECC matters:

The fact that Linus Torvalds, the top programmer on the Linux kernel, feels that this RAM errors are problem makes me think this could be an actual problem. It's well known that sometimes poo poo happens, the first troubleshooting step is often restart the app/pc, or unplug the device and plug it back in. If the problem doesn't come back, blame it on the lack of ECC RAM gremlins. Maybe random problems are really happening as a result of not having ECC RAM, maybe they're not, either way, I kinda think it would be just nice to have ECC RAM as one more way to (marginally) improve reliability.

On the other hand, I would like to know what the makers of Memtest think about this, I thought it's fairly common to hammer good RAM with several random patterns in an attempt to find errors and most PCs can run the test for hours. If you get an error with memtest then you throw away that stick of RAM and get a new stick off the shelf since RAM errors are so rare they are most likely a hardware problem and not simply cosmic rays flipping the bits.

I don't really like that Linus blames Intel for the slow adoption of ECC. I think he might have a point that Intel is responsible simply for not releasing consumer platforms that support ECC, however I think that is also a problem because, at least in older RAM versions (I'm not sure about DDR3/4) ECC RAM is keyed to where it physically can not be used in a non-ECC motherboard. If ECC RAM was a feature where consumers could buy one board and plug in either cheaper non-ECC RAM for games or ECC RAM for paranoid users then I think the market for ECC RAM would be better. I don't believe Intel alone is responsible for ECC RAM being keyed differently, but I think Torvalds has a valid point that Intel could have had the influence to spread ECC, or Intel could have chosen not to spread ECC to encourage market segregation between server and home hardware.

This is a completely separate debate, but if anything, I feel this is very similar to the 64bit transition, which I think Intel didn't handle well. I feel that Intel tried to release the Itanium as the 64bit CPU from Intel and that was a failure, then AMD released x86_64 CPUs supporting both 32 and 64bit instructions. It could be argued that AMD was the innovator by releasing 32/64 bit CPUs early, or it could be argued that Intel would have added their own 64bit extensions when the market was ready for 64bit.

tldr version: Linus Torvalds is a suprisingly hostile jerk who likes to refer to people as "babies who were dropped on their heads too many times" but I think he actually might have a valid point that ECC RAM should either be necessary, or just more widespread than it is now. At the very least, I just kinda want to have ECC on my next desktop even if it is only for bragging rights.

I don't remember the last time Linus was wrong about something. Rude? Too direct? Insensitive? Definitely. Wrong? Doubt it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm running Asus P10S WS on my homeserver and it supports both ECC and non-ECC RAM. What is completely Intel's fault is that only i3 and Xeon processors support ECC, i5 and i7 don't work with it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not supporting ECC RAM is artificial product segmentation Intel exercises, of course Intel is to blame. Ryzen supports ECC ram, and many boards support it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ECC seems like a good idea for everything. It's too bad it's not faster. This defcon talk about just squatting websites that are a one bit DNS entry error from a popular one was interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXY3jm34RFU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't DDR5 going to always be ECC anyway?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

One really, really important point that Linus makes is that rowhammer attacks (and inevitable rowhammer-style attacks) are very difficult to stamp out. ECC goes a long way towards making such attacks detectable.

I have to hand it to Linus that he cusses out companies, but not people. He used to be a lot more harsh on individuals but that definitely got tapered down.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, but if DDR5 runs so close to the edge that it needs ECC to operate properly isn't that just kicking the problem down the road?

We might see 1-bit ECC on consumer platforms (the bare minimum to make it stable most of the time) and multi-bit ECC segmented off to server platforms

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

gradenko_2000 posted:

My understanding is, it's ECC only inside the chips. Full DRAM sticks aren't required to use it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Registered memory gets confused with ECC a lot but they're very different things. Registered memory puts a buffer between the dram chips and the memory controller, which is used to allow a relatively weak signal from the controller to control more dram chips. ECC uses extra dram chips, usually 1 for every 8 usual ones, to store the extra bits needed for a Hamming code. Historically ECC ram on the market has often been registered but not always for cost and performance reasons. All DDR5 is registered, but most won't be ECC.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 10, 2021

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Has anyone here set up an android theme/skin/launcher on their Amazon fire? I tried one and my tablet turned into a Chinese language. I rebooted and deleted it, then it went back to normal. What's a safe android launcher for a fire 8 2020 tablet?

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 11, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I got a Kindle 10 HD for Christmas and used this to sideload Google services so I could get the stuff that's not in Amazon's store: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-tool-fire-toolbox-v10-2.3889604/

I also installed Nova Launcher but it reverted to the stock one after an update. There's no known way to root the new Kindles that I could see on XDA so you might be out of luck if you want too make major changes to the OS. My patience for loving around with hardware has diminished a lot over the last few years.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Once upon a time, I had a motherboard or maybe case that came with a little header thing, not unlike a stackable header deal for a Pi and such, that you plugged all the front panel connections into, and then once you had it set you plugged the big block right onto the pin cluster on the motherboard. As opposed to, plugging each cable into the motherboard pins individually. It was a great innovation that saved minor amounts of time and frustration but one I've never seen again despite it must only costing one cent to produce. If these exist in some kind of generic form I would like to buy a grip and use them for every build, but I have been unable to find any with the search terms I know. Please can you help

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Milkman posted:

Once upon a time, I had a motherboard or maybe case that came with a little header thing, not unlike a stackable header deal for a Pi and such, that you plugged all the front panel connections into, and then once you had it set you plugged the big block right onto the pin cluster on the motherboard. As opposed to, plugging each cable into the motherboard pins individually. It was a great innovation that saved minor amounts of time and frustration but one I've never seen again despite it must only costing one cent to produce. If these exist in some kind of generic form I would like to buy a grip and use them for every build, but I have been unable to find any with the search terms I know. Please can you help

Yeah I have an ASUS motherboard that came with that, I think it was the Z87-A but I'm not certain. You could probably do the same thing with something like this socket but you'd need to buy the one for the number of pins on your header:
https://smile.amazon.com/Double-Female-Straight-Header-Socket/dp/B00R1LKZOM/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

is there an easy way to export android texts to a pc to read and sort through?

I have a j3 star and I don't really use it as anything beyond a phone and browser, but its slightly urgent