Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I managed to crush Grimgor in 17 turns as dwarfes :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Norsca might be more bearable to play in the north with the AI taking full attrition damage from cold and chaos. Otherwise you just end up just playing whack-a-mole with your giant provinces with the bretonnians or somebody.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the horde factions need some kind of special campaign mechanic like the wood elves do now because with all the ruin-dwelling going on its really had to make any real progress.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ammanas posted:

just in case anyone is unawares, as any skaven faction you can sack/raid/ambush until youre at 120 food then abandon your capital, and rebuild it at tier 5. did this around turn 15 in my Mors campaign.

skaven are so broken.

As Queek you could always do the same but with Lamia instead, which is a bigger city to get to tier 5, but at least for Ikit and Thrott both its pretty useful to upgrade their capitals like that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seams posted:

the horde factions need some kind of special campaign mechanic like the wood elves do now because with all the ruin-dwelling going on its really had to make any real progress.

Players should be able to spend money or have a mechanic to allow them to salt the earth which denies re-settlement for 25/50/1000 turns.

It’s dumb that they can’t.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

some thought needs to be given as to what horde factions are actually supposed to be: isolated guerillas preying on larger empires (so why are we razing settlements and eliminating factions?) or endless legions marching forth to crush the world beneath their heel (so why do we only have a handful of armies with massive upkeep issues?)

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've got about 150 hours in the first game, so I thought I would do pretty well with a Mortal Empire campaign playing as the Last Defenders. Tried 2 playthroughs so far and I can't seem to get passed turn 80. Had all of the following happen:

-Pushing the initial Skaven army back but not finishing them was a massive mistake on playthrough 1. Turns out the rats multiply and by turn 60 I was facing x3 20 stack armies without lightning strike
-Tomb kings are a joke and get rolled over by the Dark Elves. But the Dark Elves don't like me either??? Malus has some BS where he recovers 100% health and leadership instantly? What sorcery is this?
-Orks somehow took all of the outposts to the west and kept sending 20 stack armies while I was trying to deal with Malus. They don't respond to my commands to make peace since apparently no one likes Lizards in this game.
-My AI frog companion is worthless and spends 80 turns in his base growing an army from 7 to 8.
-I hated the Dwarves in Warhammer 1. My opinion has not changed.

I'm going to restart as Empire and get back to basics since I'm not very good at this game.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah Malus goes full Goku once a fight as he changes into a demon man he's strong as hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The key to beating Malus is the same as any lord who isn't Luthor Harkon: shoot them until they die.

Just be wary that expanding north instead of west puts you into contact with another major skaven faction, Clan Eshin.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
After playing more with the army cap mod set to 14,000-15,000 and small unit size, I have come to a conclusion.

Chariots are good. Chariots are really good.

What makes them bad is the micro required and playing with unit sizes that are too large.

So if you play ultra, they are no where near as useful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chariots need to break lines to do damage and when the AI forms a line of battle ten men deep you're just crashing into a blob that can absorb the charge thanks to pooled health bars.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Third World Reagan posted:

After playing more with the army cap mod set to 14,000-15,000 and small unit size, I have come to a conclusion.

What makes them bad is the micro required and playing with unit sizes that are too large.

I believe the game is sort of balanced around Large unit size as far as damage goes. I know single entities are outrageously strong on Small.

In my Tomb Kings game I finished (Settra first Vortex victory, Khalida first ME victory!) I gave the chariot guy all chariots and it turns out 15 of the jokers crashing in to a guy makes them very upset.

Now I'm Durthu and learning how to be offensive and kite and not just blob is quite the change.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it turns out a lot of units are completely ridiculous if you just mass them up enough

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it turns out a lot of units are completely ridiculous if you just mass them up enough

hawk riders up in here

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hawk Riders with the arrow of whatever are completely insane. You can open with a cruise missile salvo that evaporates the entire enemy front line, kite for a minute, then evaporate the rest.

Also, I must not have been paying attention, and perhaps it was intended, but I did an Orion quest mission today that somehow boosted my Waywatchers' ranged damage to over 150, which was busted beyond belief.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What is Orion? A stag-man? But not a beast man.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Third World Reagan posted:

Does unit cost scale with unit size setting? Would be interesting if so.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
It does not seem to do that.

And man am I picking basic mounts more often just to not have higher cost armies.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

jokes posted:

What is Orion? A stag-man? But not a beast man.
I'm pretty sure Orion is just an elf who's lived in Athel Loren so long he's half-forest creature.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
He's a series of elves, one altered into Orion each year.

quote:

Orion is the King of Athel Loren. He is immortal, but his existence is irrevocably tied to the seasons. Thus does he pass willingly into his own funeral pyre each Midwinter, only to be reborn into thunderous life on the first day of Spring. Each year, on the eve of the vernal equinox, the Wild Riders select a young prince who will bear the mantle of Orion for the coming year. This chosen one is led to the Oak of Ages and given over to Ariel's keeping. There, she works the miracle of rebirth, sculpting her lost husband anew from the chosen one's flesh and Kurnous' spirit. On the following morning, the chosen one emerges from the Oak's embrace, a mortal Elf no longer, but reborn as Orion, God-King of Athel Loren.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Elukka posted:

that's gotta be really, really inconvenient when you're on campaign half a world away.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Elukka posted:

Wood Elves seem very hosed up.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Ironically, one could make a reasonable argument that the Wood Elves are the least hosed up of the Elven nations. At least the Welves are generally content to just sit in their forests and ignore (and get ignored by) everyone else if left alone. The Dark Elves are batshit insane and the High Elves have a massive superiority complex that continually causes these massive problems that could be solved instantly if they just got off their loving high horse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean the Welves did spend their entire existence gaslighting peasants into thinking that their fairie queen was actually the bretonnian's pateon deity.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean the Welves did spend their entire existence gaslighting peasants into thinking that their fairie queen was actually the bretonnian's pateon deity.

She was though wasn't she? Regardless of who she turned out to be?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

She was though wasn't she? Regardless of who she turned out to be?

I mean yeah it was Lileath in the end but it was still funny/dickish of the elves to let the bretonnians think that it was their own maiden saint protector when it was actually an elf God using ignorant peasants as a buffer state to protect the Murder Forest.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sure, but you're also talking about the Brettonians. They kinda deserve it because they're assholes, and if the Welves hadn't done a bit of, uh, judicious restructuring of belief the Brettonians most likely would have sent the exterminators sooner or later. And, to give some credit to Ariel, the Brettonian knights were getting some mystical mojo out of the deal too - it's not like they were really losing out.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 5, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bret lore has always been schizophrenic like that. I personally prefer the less grimdark versions of it, but what isn't arguable is that Grail Knights really are super humans who live way longer than other people and are crazy strong. They're basically Order Chosen.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
where's the loving money goromadny

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eimi posted:

Bret lore has always been schizophrenic like that. I personally prefer the less grimdark versions of it, but what isn't arguable is that Grail Knights really are super humans who live way longer than other people and are crazy strong. They're basically Order Chosen.

In the RPG they're also completely immune to mutation. Something in that Grail did something crazy to them.

I've always been fond of the more comedic takes on Brets where a large number of them are well intentioned dumbasses in a bubble who have no idea that things are terrible for the peasantry, because the peasants are actively trying to keep 'the guy who can have people hung' out of their affairs as much as possible. And also everyone is lying to one another constantly and dressing up as nobles or peasants and getting up to bumbling adventures, such that nobody takes them too seriously until it's time for a war and oh no these french idiots are dynamite.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Night10194 posted:

In the RPG they're also completely immune to mutation. Something in that Grail did something crazy to them.

I've always been fond of the more comedic takes on Brets where a large number of them are well intentioned dumbasses in a bubble who have no idea that things are terrible for the peasantry, because the peasants are actively trying to keep 'the guy who can have people hung' out of their affairs as much as possible. And also everyone is lying to one another constantly and dressing up as nobles or peasants and getting up to bumbling adventures, such that nobody takes them too seriously until it's time for a war and oh no these french idiots are dynamite.

:hmmyes: That's the proper way Brets should be.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

These growth changes would be way more tolerable if you unlocked two buildings slots at level three instead of the one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

When I was playing tabletop in like... 1998, Bretonnians were just serfdom but a big deal was made about how the peasants would compete to be the best
It seemed like an idealized version of serfdom, I dont remember the grimdark oppression

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Vagabong posted:

Wood Elves seem very hosed up.

Sure, you die and get remoulded into a Weird Leaf Elf God-King whose main hobby is pointing at a guy and getting all his bros to run that guy down on their deer and commits ritual suicide every year but have you seen his wife?? who becomes your wife??? yowza!!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When I was playing tabletop in like... 1998, Bretonnians were just serfdom but a big deal was made about how the peasants would compete to be the best
It seemed like an idealized version of serfdom, I dont remember the grimdark oppression

It's a weird attempt at "comical" oppression, like "good job, peasant, you located a new gold mine and brought huge wealth to your lord's lands, your reward will be two silver coins and a pig(which will make you the wealthiest peasant in 100 miles)"

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The obsession over grimdarkness came later, as in 40k, there's a market for everything.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Kanos posted:

It's a weird attempt at "comical" oppression, like "good job, peasant, you located a new gold mine and brought huge wealth to your lord's lands, your reward will be two silver coins and a pig(which will make you the wealthiest peasant in 100 miles)"

Although its less prominent than in 40k, a lot of Warhammer is drawing off pop culture pretty heavily; in this case the poo poo farming peasants were drawing off Monty Python's The Holy Grail.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That would have been in 5e, where Bretonnia was portrayed quite differently - nobility wasn't hereditary, and everything was more straightforwardly idealistic. IIRC there was nothing about the 90% tax rate on peasants either.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As close as I can get to that cartoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jo Joestar posted:

That would have been in 5e, where Bretonnia was portrayed quite differently - nobility wasn't hereditary, and everything was more straightforwardly idealistic. IIRC there was nothing about the 90% tax rate on peasants either.

No, I certainly don't remember that. It seemed like a pretty cool society, less the regular beastmen and greenskin invasions, but then nothing's perfect.