Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

shirts and skins posted:

Lol at Mel being 8th, when did he bail from the thread again? What a work rate.

Feel like him and Chiche left sometime over the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I walked to get something from receiving so that's about all the tasks I'll be accomplishing today.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I really need to work on my posting rate in 2021. Get ready for 200% more posting with 5% of the content

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

shirts and skins posted:

Lol at Mel being 8th, when did he bail from the thread again? What a work rate.

Yeah him and Chiche were both out in June, so neither of them even had six full months.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I think I need to give up woodworking as a hobby. Not because I don't like it, but because every time I make a mistake, I have to explain it to my wife, then I have to hear about it from her what I should have done. Then she goes online and looks at the same thing online and asks why I didn't make it like that. I'm just sick of having every little thing critiqued, especially when I already know I screwed it up.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That test was annoying.

Score is 200-800, and a 350 is passing.

Surely I got at least a 25%

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think I need to give up woodworking as a hobby. Not because I don't like it, but because every time I make a mistake, I have to explain it to my wife, then I have to hear about it from her what I should have done. Then she goes online and looks at the same thing online and asks why I didn't make it like that. I'm just sick of having every little thing critiqued, especially when I already know I screwed it up.

Same, but housework.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

No one but you needs to know you hosed up. You can almost always fix it. Do that and move on. Woodworking owns, don't quit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The numbers were already posted, but this is my first time on a computer with Excel this year, so here's the final post counts for the TFF 2020 Chat Thread top 30 posters.

The sum total of posts made by we top 30 is exactly 67% of the total number of replies (55,743 of 82,966 total), so this represents two-thirds of chat thread content.

Also it's in Bookman Old Style, so feel free to include this on legal briefs and whatever.

e: Also I made a joke in early October about C-Euro and I being neck and neck, and he edged me out by three posts, so we're nothing if not consistent over time.

Top 30 posters only making up 67% of the posts is a pretty impressive for a chat thread. Good that we're keeping things fresh.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

wandler20 posted:

No one but you needs to know you hosed up. You can almost always fix it. Do that and move on. Woodworking owns, don't quit.

Well this particular issue is I was making an edge grain cutting board. Somewhere along the line gluing up each board, it got warped a litle. The only reason she knew about it is because I unclamped it and was testing it on the kitchen counter to see if it was flat, and it was obviously not. So now I'm trying to figure out the best way to straighten it. I can either plane it until it's flat, but that would take quite a bit of thickness of the board, or maybe I could heat it and clamp it down and see if it stays flat this time.

I agree, I don't want to quit, but this happens to me a lot. I have an issue, and then I get 20 questions from my wife about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/MetalHammer/status/1346040415468793857?s=19

My brother took me to see Children of Bodom when I was 16 :( it was on a school night, and I just remember heading to school smelling like cigarette smoke (this was pre-public smoking ban) and not being able to hear out of my left ear!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I agree, I don't want to quit, but this happens to me a lot. I have an issue, and then I get 20 questions from my wife about it.

Why is your wife nitpicking your hobby to the point you don't even enjoy it anymore?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Same, but housework.

There almost has to be a big German word for the specific feeling of making a decision mid-task and knowing you will not make the right call.

It's a similar feeling to the beginning of Office Space when he knows the door handle is going to shock him every time.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You should tell your wife that it bothers you when she is overly critical of the mistakes you make when you do your woodworking.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Why is your wife nitpicking your hobby to the point you don't even enjoy it anymore?

In her head, she's doing it so I can get better at it.

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:
Ex used to always get on my case about how I loaded the dishwasher, even though I did the dishes 99.9% of the time :v:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

In her head, she's doing it so I can get better at it.

Have you ever told her that it makes you feel lovely?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

ZuluDashOne posted:

Ex used to always get on my case about how I loaded the dishwasher, even though I did the dishes 99.9% of the time :v:

My wife is the most chaotic person I know and cannot be trusted to organize things or load the dishwasher. Therefore I have told her I will always clean dishes/load the dishwasher, and she is responsible for putting them away

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Ehud posted:

Yes, you need to be open and communicative about how it makes you feel and clear that it is your hobby, and your mistakes to learn from. Make sure she understands that she is welcome to offer support and help, but constant haranguing is detrimental to your mental state.

Hopefully we can make it through 2021 without another Chat Thread divorce.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ehud posted:

Yeah, seriously. I'm sure she's not doing it to be mean, but if her feedback is aggravating you to the point that you want to drop a hobby that you find fun and rewarding, then you owe it to yourself to say something about it. It sounds like a cliché, but something as simple as saying, "Look, I know you're trying to help, but could you maybe try a different approach" or something along those lines can go a very long way. Long story short is that your wife may have absolutely no idea that she's bothering you so much, and she can't fix something that's broken if you don't tell her that it's broken. Open, frequent and honest communication is the bedrock of any solid relationship, so keep those lines of communication open.

And it will also be good to say something for your own mental health, because dropping woodworking due to your wife's criticism just seems like something that can fester as a resentment and ignite a nasty argument somewhere down the road.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Wait, I know this is a new year and new chat thread, are we not all doing the divorce thing now?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Thaddius the Large posted:

Wait, I know this is a new year and new chat thread, are we not all doing the divorce thing now?

No, we're at the other end of the cycle

I've been in a LDR for the past few months with a fun girl and she is finally coming back to the west coast (after spending the last 2 months were her family in Asheville. She's gonna visit me in a few weeks assuming she doesn't catch Covid during her travel

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

We’ve talked about similar things in the past. I’m overreacting a little bit too because she also did help me find ways to fix the issue I was having. So I know it’s coming from a good place, I think it’s just how she says things sometimes that grate me the wrong way. I also have a tendency to not take criticism all that well.

We’ve been talking about this kind of stuff more because we were not doing great over the summer.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Accent chat - did Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman put in work to lose their Australian accents or did it just "wear off" from living in the States for so long?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Accent chat - did Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman put in work to lose their Australian accents or did it just "wear off" from living in the States for so long?

Australian/British actors are much better at getting rid of their accents due to growing up watching so much American media.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

My grandfather was a master carpenter and cabinetmaker, as a hobby (petroleum engineer by trade). He said literally the only difference that comes with skill and experience is the ability to better hide your mistakes.

I turn wood, and I haven't made a flawless piece yet. Tell your wife to ease the gently caress off.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

Australian/British actors are much better at getting rid of their accents due to growing up watching so much American media.
That makes a lot of sense

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

My grandfather was a master carpenter and cabinetmaker, as a hobby (petroleum engineer by trade). He said literally the only difference that comes with skill and experience is the ability to better hide your mistakes.

I turn wood, and I haven't made a flawless piece yet. Tell your wife to ease the gently caress off.

Now, we don't know the whole story. For instance, Bird could be making hand-crafted wooden "marital aids," in which case a certain amount of negative feedback could be understandable.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I have not been dating because of Covid. It’s been a long year.

So I’m ornery and hornery irl.

Cherish your loved ones!!!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Glumslinger posted:

No, we're at the other end of the cycle

Speak for yourself. I got dumped via text message while I was in the hospital.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I have not been dating because of Covid. It’s been a long year.

So I’m ornery and hornery irl.

Extremely good Av/post combo

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

GD_American posted:

I was told a long time ago that projects/ jobs are never finished, just abandoned

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

Now, we don't know the whole story. For instance, Bird could be making hand-crafted wooden "marital aids," in which case a certain amount of negative feedback could be understandable.

Look, this sandpaper grit only gets so fine.

For real, it’s a cutting board for her to use, so I can understand her wanting something that works because otherwise I’m just making her a gift that will aggravate her more. I’ll get it fixed, I think I was just venting because I was mad at myself for the mistake, and at that moment was frustrated with her.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I rarely see my girlfriend on weekdays because she's working 14 hour days slaving for a company that is completely underpaying her.

All this despite us living in the same condo.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Timby posted:

Speak for yourself. I got dumped via text message while I was in the hospital.

Jesus loving Christ. I’d offer a hug but, y’know, COVID.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn't realize until now that I had no idea what Anthony Lynn looked like. Whenever I heard his name mentioned on podcasts or whatever I just envisioned a plain-looking white man in his late 40s.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

D-LINK posted:

I was told a long time ago that projects/ jobs are never finished, just abandoned

Just like kids

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

We’ve talked about similar things in the past. I’m overreacting a little bit too because she also did help me find ways to fix the issue I was having. So I know it’s coming from a good place, I think it’s just how she says things sometimes that grate me the wrong way. I also have a tendency to not take criticism all that well.

We’ve been talking about this kind of stuff more because we were not doing great over the summer.

If you can do some counseling either via zoom or in person, I highly recommend it. It's hard when you think you're communicating in one way and your partner hears it another way. I found it extremely helpful to have a neutral third party help me see things from a different perspective.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bribe the counselor so they take your side.

All good relationships are based on games of subterfuge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZuluDashOne
May 1, 2020

#NeverForget

Go Wings!

:911:
My girlfriend still lives in MN. Haven't seen her since the start of Sept. Now that the holidays are over thinking about a visit in a month or two.

I was thinking about getting a cat but realized I have no one who could pet sit for me if I wanted to go back and visit her, my family and friends.