Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tired Moritz posted:

Because people want to gently caress his wife??

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yes?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
if "people want to gently caress his wife" was a reason to hate a character then no one would get more poo poo than Demetrius

fuckin' monsters, the lot of ya

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No one wants to gently caress poor Jodi :sigh:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"My girlfriend's husband is a gotoro war vet" bumper sticker

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Eric the Mauve posted:

man, Kent sends you bombs in the mail when he LIKES you, imagine what happens when you piss him off

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well yeah b/c Jodi fucks wives.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I bought a phone and realized I can call Clint at two in the morning. Worth every coin. :toot:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Suddenly I need to know how you buy a phone.

Anyway in our co-op game we've finally gotten our feet underneath us on the new area and it's really cool, the avenues it opens up for one person to be on the farm and one on the island is really neat. I wish there was a way for my chest inventory to be accessible from one location to the other though - situations like "I need a scarecro---oops, it's in a box next to my house" or whatever occur a little too frequently. Maybe once we ancient fruit wine our way into return scepters and warp totems.

Although at this point I wish the return scepter was more like a straight up teleport scepter where it opened a menu and offered you a list of destinations, a simple back-to-farm thing feels almost outclassed by the sheer number of places you might want to go now.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 4, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Robin sells the phone

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
My plan to get an island Obelisk is remarkably slow going, primary because I've generally been bad at getting Dragon's teeth.

I'm mostly counting on my Stingray ponds at this point.

I also.really want to fill my slime hutch with Tiger Slimes, but I suspect the two eggs I have incubating are probably the same sex and I'll have to hunt down or fish-farm a third.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Psion posted:

Suddenly I need to know how you buy a phone.

Some of the decorations Robin sells have uses. Like additional fridges, or a calendar in your house (and the phone which is partially for checking what is open and what is being sold?)

A popular mod is Chests Anywhere, though I don't know if it is MP compatible, but that lets you.. access your chests from anywhere.

And yeah, return sceptre just being a Teleport Stone from Graveyard Keeper would be choice.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Rick_Hunter posted:

Well yeah b/c Jodi fucks wives.

This actually kinda tracks. If a Marine is deployed and their spouse cheats the person they cheated with is referred to as "Jody"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Has the slime hutch been given a more substantial purpose? I've never built one, and the last time I was even looking to was about 2 years ago.

Edit: since this is subjective, what I mean is, is there any more purpose to slimes and slime farming, other than "just make slimes"?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If sprinklers water the troughs in there now can you just use sprinklers on garden pots in there or what?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

This actually kinda tracks. If a Marine is deployed and their spouse cheats the person they cheated with is referred to as "Jody"

Seriously?

....CA, you magnificant bastard.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is she also going after the wizard's staff?

Huh, apparently Clint only answers the late night phone when working on a tool. Otherwise he leaves it to the machine. I was hoping to prank call him for quite a while. :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

"Hey Clint, how's my ax coming along... ok great, thanks for the update, I gotta go, Emily wants me to come to bed. See you tomorrow!"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Has the slime hutch been given a more substantial purpose? I've never built one, and the last time I was even looking to was about 2 years ago.

Edit: since this is subjective, what I mean is, is there any more purpose to slimes and slime farming, other than "just make slimes"?

There is essentially no reason to build a slime hutch unless you want to raise slimes for killing, for Slime Ingredients, for Slime Eggs, or for Petrified Slimes.

The slime hutch takes up more space and has less interior room than a shed. Personally, I just want to have the game's most dangerous farmable slimes in my Hutch, and built the interior for safe harvesting

Unfortunately, both Tiger Slimes I hatched turned out to be male, as I figured they would. Off to try to get more Tiger Slime eggs.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's a good early game energy source? I'm exhausting myself before noon and I can't imagine going to bed early is a viable, long term solution. I have a recipe for field snacks, but lack the ingredients. I think I'm on day 9 or 10.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
South of Marnies (I mean really south, across the river) you can usually find a whole bunch of spring onions. Bit of a crapshoot, though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wildtortilla posted:

What's a good early game energy source? I'm exhausting myself before noon and I can't imagine going to bed early is a viable, long term solution. I have a recipe for field snacks, but lack the ingredients. I think I'm on day 9 or 10.

There are spring onions across the bridge in the forest to the South of your farm. If you watch the TV it'll (would have?) tell you about them.

Fishing is usually energy neutral or a little positive if you fish in the town river. Other locations are more profitable, but the town river is usually the easiest.

Watch the TV every day, it'll tell you when you can gather salmon berries, which is soon.

You can also eat most of the forageable stuff you gather or farm crops. You can eat the flowers you gather, although I usually use them as gifts instead.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Make sure to check the trash when townpeople aren't around. The one near the saloon especially can have some real good stuff early game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Extending to the medium term, the three things you need to do to achieve essentially infinite energy (and it's doable by early-mid summer) are expand your house, get some crab pots going, and befriend Linus (hint: he likes spring onions).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

In addition to stuff said already (salmonberries will probably be the biggest immediate relief), try to go for sashimi. Lets you turn any lovely fish into okay food that stacks. However you will need the first house upgrade to cook and 3 star friendship with Linus for the recipe, so maybe it's more of an early midgame goal unless you make the house one of your first big buys.

efb by above ^^^

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Wildtortilla posted:

Dunno if it's optimal or anything, but I usually eat what I've foraged in the first couple of weeks (aside from creating a couple of batches of seeds). Everything aside from Dandelions give you an energy boost which can be vital. Salmonberry season starts on I think Spring 15, so for those few days grab as many as you can (I usually aim for about a hundred or so). That way you'll have more than enough free energy to last the year, when you'll have way better options available anyway.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Fun with arithmetic: with the Mariner perk (no trash in crab pots) if you straight up buy crab pots from Willy and put them in the ocean, each pot pays for itself in 18 days, after which it's pure profit.

I usually go with Luremaster though because the trash is such an easy source of refined quartz.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Fun with arithmetic: with the Mariner perk (no trash in crab pots) if you straight up buy crab pots from Willy and put them in the ocean, each pot pays for itself in 18 days, after which it's pure profit.

I usually go with Luremaster though because the trash is such an easy source of refined quartz.

I usually view Mariner as a debuff. I buy crab pots for the trash to get refined quartz, not all those gross fish.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Holy moly this is all very helpful, thanks!

Is there a a slick way to build fences? Like lock which way I face so I can move left/right or up/down while placing objects directly in front of me? The cursor on my right stick is way, way too sensitive to be of any use to me. :(

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a a slick way to build fences? Like lock which way I face so I can move left/right or up/down while placing objects directly in front of me? The cursor on my right stick is way, way too sensitive to be of any use to me. :(

Lightning Rods make for good barriers. Just hit a Lightning Rod with a tool to dislodge it, then replace it when you're past the "fence." Tea Bushes are cheaper to make but are destroyed when you cut them down, so I recommend using at least a combination of the two. Neither of them decay, and they produce useful stuff once in a while. You'll never go back to regular fences!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Unless, you know, you want your farm to actually look nice instead of being minmax paradise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

If you're on the PC you can place objects with the mouse. You can place them beside you while you walk forward.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why did someone say Sebastian was a NEET? He is literally one of only two actually employed bachelors in town.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unless, you know, you want your farm to actually look nice instead of being minmax paradise.

it has a certain je ne se quois, it's just that the "how you say" there is best summed up with 'doctor robotnik'

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Why did someone say Sebastian was a NEET? He is literally one of only two actually employed bachelors in town.

He makes a big show over not being social (Despite that none of the other bachelors aside from Sam hang out with anyone anyway) even though he, Ab and Sam all have group nights, gaming sessions and jam spots.

I think it's just the aesthetic he puts out.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

By the time you can buy the golden clock, you're probably set on batteries so you can tear down the lightning rods.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

It's unfair stereotyping of basement dwellers :colbert:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

He makes a big show over not being social (Despite that none of the other bachelors aside from Sam hang out with anyone anyway) even though he, Ab and Sam all have group nights, gaming sessions and jam spots.

I think it's just the aesthetic he puts out.

They all hang out with the bachelorette they correspond to: Elliott drinks with Leah, Alex hangs out with Haley at the ice cream stand, Shane and Emily are both in the bar all night every night while Clint sits quietly staring at the table in front of him, Harvey creeps on his clinic assistant, Sam hangs out periodically with Penny.

That Sebastian/Sam appear to be the only two bachelors who are aware of each other's existence is pretty much true, though. It's not much better on the bachelorette side, I think Penny and Maru sit together on Sundays or something but that's about it besides Haley and Emily being sisters. Hell, I don't remember Haley ever interacting with anyone in the whole town besides Emily and Alex (nor Alex with anyone besides his grandparents and Haley, come to think of it).

More interpersonal stuff between the NPCs would be a welcome addition to the game at some point.

fake edit: It's funny that breaking up Robin's marriage is such a popular internet thing, she and Demetrius spend more time together than Jodi/Kent or Caroline/Pierre or even Evelyn/George. They have the only happy marriage in the valley!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Kent seems like a good guy, though. He's just going through some poo poo - kinda wish I could hire him on to the farm as a hand to give him some much-needed structure. 250g a day!