Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

magimix posted:

So what sorts of large-scale plans do people have for their islands, in this fresh and zesty new year?

For me, things started to get a bit moribund as 2020 closed out. Since I wasn't really developing anything, there was less point to logging and doing my dailes, etc. And I've had the same set of residents for a long while now. So it is time to mix things up. From the 1st, any resident that asks to leave will be allowed to leave - and I'll not go island hopping; I'll just see who turns up to fill the vacancy (I might come to regret that, bit hopefully it'll be interesting at the least). Every resident that came to my island before 2021 will be swapped out.

I also want to mix up my island layout, but to specific purpose. Ages ago I saw a great thing someone did where each residents plot was contained within a larger, dedicated area that was themed for that residents personality. Since that means I'd need to move houses around a bunch, that'd force me to mix up my islands layout a lot. It'll also compell me to rethink the ratio of developed to undeveloped land, and maybe even some terraforming to smooth rough spots when it comes to placement needs.

Three of my villagers are definitely being replaced. Three others have question marks, ideally I'd like to get someone else of the same personality type alongside them to compare. Landwise I have a couple of small projects, but part of me wants to bulldoze the island and redo it all...

Part of me wants to start again completely, take a better initial island layout and make better decisions now I know what's involved. But that is not happening, so my brain can shut up and I'll just wait and hope for eventual additions to the landscaping. (Just let me move the plaza. Please.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Black Robe posted:

Three of my villagers are definitely being replaced. Three others have question marks, ideally I'd like to get someone else of the same personality type alongside them to compare. Landwise I have a couple of small projects, but part of me wants to bulldoze the island and redo it all...

Part of me wants to start again completely, take a better initial island layout and make better decisions now I know what's involved. But that is not happening, so my brain can shut up and I'll just wait and hope for eventual additions to the landscaping. (Just let me move the plaza. Please.)

The full restart... I've pondered the notion as well, but I've so much time spent on this island. I feel like if I did commit to something like that, I'd at least want to have gone through 1 entire year with the current island. Also assuming I could handle the wrenching sensation of throwing it all away :cry:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

magimix posted:

So what sorts of large-scale plans do people have for their islands, in this fresh and zesty new year?

For me, things started to get a bit moribund as 2020 closed out. Since I wasn't really developing anything, there was less point to logging and doing my dailes, etc. And I've had the same set of residents for a long while now. So it is time to mix things up. From the 1st, any resident that asks to leave will be allowed to leave - and I'll not go island hopping; I'll just see who turns up to fill the vacancy (I might come to regret that, bit hopefully it'll be interesting at the least). Every resident that came to my island before 2021 will be swapped out.

I also want to mix up my island layout, but to specific purpose. Ages ago I saw a great thing someone did where each residents plot was contained within a larger, dedicated area that was themed for that residents personality. Since that means I'd need to move houses around a bunch, that'd force me to mix up my islands layout a lot. It'll also compell me to rethink the ratio of developed to undeveloped land, and maybe even some terraforming to smooth rough spots when it comes to placement needs.

1. Frozen arch rainbow
2. Costume Institute (opening soon!)
3. Maybe, uh, maybe it's time to have...fewer flowers... so I can have other stuff...
4. Crying because I still only have 3 Christmas DIYs :(

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Are there city ordinances or other ways to change shop hours in New Horizons? Nook's not opening until 8 AM is messing up my schedule :argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hawkperson posted:

Are there city ordinances or other ways to change shop hours in New Horizons? Nook's not opening until 8 AM is messing up my schedule :argh:

There are not, but you can always timeshift your game. I changed my system clock to be 2 hours ahead of what it actually is, because I like checking in with the shops before work. This means the shops will close early by your reckoning, so make sure you get what you need ahead of time.

Oh and also it'll be tougher to buy turnips, if you're still doing that. I haven't bought any in months, so it's not a big deal for me.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

1. Frozen arch rainbow
3. Maybe, uh, maybe it's time to have...fewer flowers... so I can have other stuff...

I *completely* threw in the towel when it came to christmas DIYs. I also didn't bother making snowman either, after doing the 'path' thing to help make a perfect one, because it all felt so tedious. Another thing that has been a little bit disappointing is that I've just not had many snowy days, and even on the days I did have with snow, it was always very light. I feel like in general this game would benefit from turning up the 'bad weather' dial. My island just seems to have the mildest weather, all the time. Harumph, and so on :argh:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

1. Frozen arch rainbow

I may have to steal your idea for a Frozen arch rainbow.

Otherwise, I only have simple plans for my island as I'm starting to feel burnt out.

1. Move/expand Pride flower garden. Or maybe make more. Border or entrance at least one with rainbow of Frozen arches?
2. Continue to get flowers under control. Maybe pumpkins, too.
3. Say yes to Reneé or Ursala if they ask to move out. Ursala's birthday is in a couple weeks and I'd be fine with her leaving after that. A little sad 'cause she's started out on Mau-Mau with me, but I also kind of think it's time for her to be free in her actual house.
4. Work on the inside of my house. I want to re-do my kitchen and living room for sure. I haven't touched the other rooms (the arcade, the bedroom, the library and the Troy McClure Memorial Basement) beyond adding anything that feels appropriate since I can't think of what else I would do with those rooms.
5. Keep Toy Day/winter item cataloging area as-is, because I can't think of anything better to do with that land. :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

magimix posted:

I *completely* threw in the towel when it came to christmas DIYs. I also didn't bother making snowman either, after doing the 'path' thing to help make a perfect one, because it all felt so tedious. Another thing that has been a little bit disappointing is that I've just not had many snowy days, and even on the days I did have with snow, it was always very light. I feel like in general this game would benefit from turning up the 'bad weather' dial. My island just seems to have the mildest weather, all the time. Harumph, and so on :argh:

Yes. This. I love the rain and snow effects in this game and I hardly ever see them. I know it's meant to be a tropical paradise but not everyone likes constant sunshine, why can't there be a slider we can configure?

chensterrain
Feb 22, 2013
Accidental post, whoops!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I have an extra illuminated deer DIY if anyone wants it. Apparently you can get duplicate holiday DIYs from balloons before completing the set :negative:

I still need the Jingle wall or either festive tree if anyone else has extras.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

SilentChaz posted:

the Troy McClure Memorial Basement

The what now?

Also at one point early on in my island I had the back room of my house set out to look just like Mr Plinkett’s living room. Naturally the HHA didn’t see the joke and I tore it all down and put in a stuffy boring kitchen instead. I honestly kinda wanna set up another character so that there’ll be just a house somewhere on the island that’ll be Mr Plinkett’s house again.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Early on (after the first fishing tournament, I think), I had all this fish-themed stuff and stuck it in my basement. To complete the look I added some extra fish.

My husband saw it and immediately christened it the Troy McClure Memorial Basement. It's named after The Simpsons character and his alleged proclivities with aquatic life.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Speaking of fish, first fishing tourney of the year on Saturday.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Finished the last perfect snowboy. What a pain.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Elvis wants to leave. Okay, buddy. You spent too much time avoiding everyone else for me to get too attached to you, I hope you have fun out there.

Wednesday I get to go island hopping, I guess. I have a hell of a lot of miles saved up so I don't have to settle. Until I get bored.

Also just sold Flick 250k worth of bugs.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

I have an extra illuminated deer DIY if anyone wants it. Apparently you can get duplicate holiday DIYs from balloons before completing the set :negative:

I still need the Jingle wall or either festive tree if anyone else has extras.

I would love it if anyone hasn't claimed it!

I don't have a duplicate diy for any of those but will keep an eye out as I pop balloons. I can make them for you if you want the actual items.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Tender Bender posted:

I would love it if anyone hasn't claimed it!

I don't have a duplicate diy for any of those but will keep an eye out as I pop balloons. I can make them for you if you want the actual items.

That'd be great actually and no, no one has claimed it yet. I gotta go shake some yellow ornaments and then I'll be ready whenever. Any chance you could craft the illuminated snowflakes? That's the other one I just realized I'm missing.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

There are not, but you can always timeshift your game. I changed my system clock to be 2 hours ahead of what it actually is, because I like checking in with the shops before work. This means the shops will close early by your reckoning, so make sure you get what you need ahead of time.

Oh and also it'll be tougher to buy turnips, if you're still doing that. I haven't bought any in months, so it's not a big deal for me.

Yeah, I want to check turnip prices in the mornings before work, so maybe I’ll just set it ahead by an hourish. Hmmmm

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I just had the most wholesome experience with a player from the ACNH subreddit who came to collect Vivian before she went to the Void.

I advertised Vivian about an hour ago on the subreddit’s Discord as free-to-take, and this person messaged me frantically offering money and gold nuggets and NMTs for her. She was basically panicking in text form, furiously writing in caps lock, spelling mistakes included, so I reassured her that she was the first person to contact me about taking Vivian off my hands. This woman was practically crying; she came over, dressed as Vivian, dropped 15,000 Bells and 2 gold nuggets at my feet and ran the gently caress over to Vivian’s house to adopt her, but not before sending me fan art on Discord that she had done of Vivian.

This was such a super wholesome evening and I’m gonna lay down and cry now due to overwhelming cuteness.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

That'd be great actually and no, no one has claimed it yet. I gotta go shake some yellow ornaments and then I'll be ready whenever. Any chance you could craft the illuminated snowflakes? That's the other one I just realized I'm missing.

Yep! I can give you the wall, both trees, and the snowflakes. I've got my gates open with dodo code JKJ2M, give me about five minutes to craft and we'll be good! Or I can pop over to your island, either works.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I just had the most wholesome experience with a player from the ACNH subreddit who came to collect Vivian before she went to the Void.

I advertised Vivian about an hour ago on the subreddit’s Discord as free-to-take, and this person messaged me frantically offering money and gold nuggets and NMTs for her. She was basically panicking in text form, furiously writing in caps lock, spelling mistakes included, so I reassured her that she was the first person to contact me about taking Vivian off my hands. This woman was practically crying; she came over, dressed as Vivian, dropped 15,000 Bells and 2 gold nuggets at my feet and ran the gently caress over to Vivian’s house to adopt her, but not before sending me fan art on Discord that she had done of Vivian.

This was such a super wholesome evening and I’m gonna lay down and cry now due to overwhelming cuteness.

That is adorable as hell. Vivian is lovely, I'm glad your incarnation of her has gone to such a good home.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This is cute as hell. :3: I'm so glad your gal went to someone who wanted her so badly!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
That peacoat dress is def one of my top outfits in the game now

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

One of my longest tenured villager friends, Apple, will be in boxes tomorrow. She's one of my favorites and has been here since almost the beginning, but it's time to shake things up on Quarantown and I told her to try moving out. She's usually Naruto-running around the plaza or telling me how fab I am.

If you're interested in adding a fat red hamster to your menagerie and will have an empty spot tomorrow let me know! I'd hate to see her banished to the void.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Celeste is here for a visit! I have her trapped at the plaza. (Lily's trapped there, too, but doesn't seem to mind.) While you're here, please take some seasonal recipe items, including stuff made with large snowflakes. There's also winter clothing to take.

Buy what you want at Nooks and Ables.

Dodo Code: CLOSED

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 5, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

3J4C0

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 5, 2021

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
Does anybody want me to craft them some Celeste items?

I've got the moon, lunar rover, satellite, asteroid, lunar module, flying saucer, rocket, space shuttle, nova light, crescent moon chair, star clock, starry sky wall, star pochette, scifi wall, scifi floor, lunar floor, starry wall, star wand, cancer table, Leo sculpture, virgo harp, libra scale, scorpio lamp, sagittarius arrow and capricorn ornament.

If anybody is interested, I'll open up and make stuff to order. Please bring the necessary star fragments for what you want (normal and large star fragments and zodiac fragments if applicable) but don't worry about gold, I can cover that with no problem.

I don't really need anything, but if you've got a spare star hat or whatever it's called that'd be cool but not required.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018

I love this soooooooo much.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SilentChaz posted:

Celeste is here for a visit! I have her trapped at the plaza. (Lily's trapped there, too, but doesn't seem to mind.) While you're here, please take some seasonal recipe items, including stuff made with large snowflakes. There's also winter clothing to take.

Buy what you want at Nooks and Ables.

Dodo Code: in PGS

I haven't had Celeste in a long time, I'll be coming over! Thanks!

Edit: thank you again! I haven't been to Mau Mau in a long time. It's really beautiful!

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 5, 2021

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

track day bro! posted:

That peacoat dress is def one of my top outfits in the game now

Legit. I just bought it at Ables the other day and I like it a lot. Very stylish.

I also just bought a cold country dress, so now I can cosplay as both Elsa and Anna. I should have a Disney themed costume party one of these days considering how many outfits are basically just Disney dresses. I’ve already got a Cinderella dress and a Princess Jasmine outfit and I can cobble together looks for Snow White, Ariel, Tiana, Belle and Mulan.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

pech posted:

Open your island and I will pay for your bridge

E: I have a turquoise silk nye hat and would trade it for a cone hat

Farten Barfen posted:

Incase you haven't gotten bells from the other goon, I can also give you a ton.

That’s very kind but I wanna earn it myself. Thanks anyway!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Nessa posted:

Legit. I just bought it at Ables the other day and I like it a lot. Very stylish.

I also just bought a cold country dress, so now I can cosplay as both Elsa and Anna. I should have a Disney themed costume party one of these days considering how many outfits are basically just Disney dresses. I’ve already got a Cinderella dress and a Princess Jasmine outfit and I can cobble together looks for Snow White, Ariel, Tiana, Belle and Mulan.

I wanna know what goes into your Snow White costume! The others I can figure out in my head, but I'm drawing a blank for Snow White.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

This rules and deserves to be in the OP

Tabachinova
May 6, 2007

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.
Tomorrow Cherry will be in boxes if anyone is interested.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Decent turnip sell price nice and early in the week for once. And Celeste was hanging around yesterday, though it wasn't a meteor shower. This means I really should time travel to get some more recipes out of her. I won't have the patience to do it more than a couple of times, though.

e: Oops. Time travel speeded up Elvis leaving. Welp, guess I'm going island hopping this afternoon :v:

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 5, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

A nice snowy day on beautiful Sharkfarts! Come see us before flowers swallow the whole island and burst through our eyes like in an artsy horror movie!

Saharah is here with, among things I can't remember, a yellow Persian rug and rocky-mountain flooring.

Turnips are trading at 124. The boys have a cypress bathtub, dishracks, camp stoves, space heaters, and a foosball table.

Able's has a few things, including concierge uniforms, Viking shirts, gas masks, old-school jackets, retro coats, animal-stripe skirts, ballet outfits, and pom casquettes.

Please help yourself to DIYs and free items on the FreeBeach, right of the airport! I will be hanging out there attempting to farm DIYs, unless I get bored and forget. I am looking for bloody everything except the illuminated reindeer and big festive tree, I think.

No gifts necessary, but I love message board messages and I really would love some custom clothing! Replace anything on the back wall at Able's except the acorn sweater and the naughty t-shirt.

Dodo Code: closed

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 5, 2021

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I wanna know what goes into your Snow White costume! The others I can figure out in my head, but I'm drawing a blank for Snow White.

Dark blue layered tank, yellow long pleated skirt, and red giant ribbon. Though if the Dolly shirt came in dark blue, that would be even better, since it has the puffy sleeves. Paired with black hair, it gives a very Snow White vibe.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

There’s an empty plot on Fiorina today, and I’m considering just letting the game decide who’ll move in tomorrow. Unless I catch sight of a departing villager on the Discord that would be cute to get, I’m leaving it up to the Nook gods.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

A nice snowy day on beautiful Sharkfarts!

Hey if you're going to be cleaning up your flower problem, do you have any spares i could have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Kitty will be in boxes tomorrow if anyone wants a snooty cat.