Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I have to ask. Am I the only one who liked the azzarelo chang wonder woman run during new 52?. That is the run that got me back into comics.

I loved it, and one of my favorite convention memories is talking to Azzarelo about it at the hotel bar.

The run also makes me sad because my comic shop lost a long time customer to covid who was obsessed with Wonder Woman. When the Azzarelo run was initially announced, he had a three page letter typed up that he sent copies to the store and DC comics. I had a good laugh at the time, but now the shop is filled with Wonder Woman statues that his family sold to the store, and now I feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
i still can't say I care about Clownhunter but if anything can come close to making me care it'd be ~30 pages of James Stokoe art

https://twitter.com/RedClops123/status/1343979792299864066

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The art and story is definitely good, despite me seeing this as an edgier and Viet Duke Thomas

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I have to ask. Am I the only one who liked the azzarelo chang wonder woman run during new 52?. That is the run that got me back into comics.

It was definitely well liked at the time and has a lot of fans even now, so sorry if my little rants earlier made it seem otherwise. I, however, just feel like Azzarello fundamentally misunderstands the character and her setting so for me the run is basically running with it's ankles tied together. I'm not even sure it was a good thing for the character in general, because it's one of those cases where the more aggressive changes were never going to stick, and so you end up with a run that isn't that representative of the characte. So as a one-off series, it's great, but from DC's side, it's not making Wonder Woman fans, it's making AZZARELLO's Wonder Woman fans.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Either Azzarello's Wonder Woman needed to be an Elseworld or the rest of the New 52 needed to be as drastically different as it was.

Speaking of Wonder Woman and Elseworlds...man, I wish they had done more with the Gods and Monsters universe. There was some neat stuff going on there that I would have loved to see more of. New God Wonder Woman was a really interesting idea.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

It's a good Xena comic but a really, really bad Wonder Woman comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vandar posted:

Either Azzarello's Wonder Woman needed to be an Elseworld or the rest of the New 52 needed to be as drastically different as it was.

Speaking of Wonder Woman and Elseworlds...man, I wish they had done more with the Gods and Monsters universe. There was some neat stuff going on there that I would have loved to see more of. New God Wonder Woman was a really interesting idea.

That was sorta the whole problem with New 52, it was operating under dual mandates of changing everything and keeping things status quo.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Azzarello took one look at Amazons Attack and said "Hey what if we did this again, but made it even worse?"

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I liked Azzarello's run, but as the joke goes, Iiked it better the first time I read it, when it was called Eddie Campbell's Bacchus.

Trying to get it to line up with the character in JLA or S/WW at the same time was a recipe for madness...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, as much as I dislike the daughter of Zeus thing, the poo poo he did with the Amazons is probably the worst part and basically necessitated Rucka's retconning it to being fake. It'd be like revealing the Kents were secretly child molesters and Clark's good memories were all him repressing their abuse, it basically ruins like 95% of the point of the character for the sake of being an edgelord.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thranguy posted:

I liked Azzarello's run, but as the joke goes, Iiked it better the first time I read it, when it was called Eddie Campbell's Bacchus.

Well that's a comic I didn't know about that has shot to the top of my "to read" list.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's a good Xena comic but a really, really bad Wonder Woman comic.

Honestly... yeah, before all the Abrahamic stuff crept in, the end-game for Xena being killing her (probably) father and taking his place as god of war would've been pretty sweet.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I can't think of many mainstream comics writers who I consider to be worse at writing women than Azzarello and none of them have the (imo) bewildering cache that he still has. I get that he has a thing that he allegedly does well but it is just not something I like or care about at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, wasn't Orion's whole thing in that book being a 'charming' misogynist, objectifying Diana but getting waved off with a "oh, he doesn't mean it"? Not sure that plays in 2021. Not sure it SHOULD have played in 2012.

The thing that mostly winds me up now, though, is that everything Azzarello supposedly brought to the table that was original? Had been done not just before on the character, but pretty recently, relative to the reboot. Like in the previous 5 years or so.

Edit: Ack, OK, there's a lot of things to dislike, but at the end of the day, like what you like as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 2, 2021

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I liked Azzarello's run back when it was first going, but like people said if I went back with a 2021 lens I'd probably like it less and view it a little more critically.

I don't think I read any WW after his issues, is anything afterwards (pre-rebirth) worth reading? What about after rebirth with either Rucka or anyone after him?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I can't think of many mainstream comics writers who I consider to be worse at writing women than Azzarello and none of them have the (imo) bewildering cache that he still has. I get that he has a thing that he allegedly does well but it is just not something I like or care about at all.

I had like an entire paragraph about how he's better now about writing women then realized I was thinking of Jason Aaron.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cael posted:

I liked Azzarello's run back when it was first going, but like people said if I went back with a 2021 lens I'd probably like it less and view it a little more critically.

I don't think I read any WW after his issues, is anything afterwards (pre-rebirth) worth reading? What about after rebirth with either Rucka or anyone after him?

For the first part, god no, the Finches took over after he and Chiang left and were probably worse, but in a more forgettable way.

Rucka's Rebirth run is excellent, and I like Wilson's run more and more as I think about it. And Steve Orlando, while he has some tics that bugged me, was pretty solid and set up a lot of the stuff that seems to be running through Future State/Infinite Frontier.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

At this point like half the New 52 is an Elseworld so I guess everything worked out in the end

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

At this point like half the New 52 is an Elseworld so I guess everything worked out in the end

I... I think the idea now is everyone got smushed together like N52 Clark and Lois did with the old school Kents? (I did laugh when Rucka took like 8 pages out from his Lois book to explain why Vic Sage was alive again but Montoya is also still the Question)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
having not read that much of the second Rucka run, what was the device he used to retcon out the Azzarello run?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

having not read that much of the second Rucka run, what was the device he used to retcon out the Azzarello run?

He didn't retcon it out, but his new Year One basically sets up that once Diana left Themyscira, the gods removed it's location from her mind, so she's never been back, and the Amazons and gods we saw before are actually defences protecting the island. He did leave it vague enough and skipped Diana's childhood so future writers could ignore the Zeus origin... except Robinson went whole hog on it, and it's mentioned often enough since that I think DC editiorial may have it as mandatory to establish because it's the origin in the films.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 2, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

Azzarello took one look at Amazons Attack and said "Hey what if we did this again, but made it even worse?"

Well after Azzaerllo finished the Finches took over - I didn't want to see WW cry and look at her as a barbie doll with her back bending the way it shouldn't. Then they made the most horrible costume for her Blades came out of her bracelets and ugggh. I stopped buying WW comics back then.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Finches can render the hell out of some monsters, otherwise yeah pretty forgettable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Azz's final arc wasn't even finished yet and Didio was hyping the Finch run as the best WW ever. It was pretty lovely behavior.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wonder Baraka

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I kinda like the costume itself but the blades are dumb

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

Ditch the blades and the below arm pit stars and it's okay.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

site posted:

He was just a huge fan of The Other, OK?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Spook is just Mysterio and the 3 stories from the 70s that the character was featured are not bad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The first week of Future State books are as much of a mixed bag as expected then to be, but mostly they are alright. It still remains to be seen if people actually buy them but as long as people don't do crazy things like read the back up stories in the 8 dollar Batman things will be golden. :shepicide:

I loved the Wonder Woman book though. Jen Bartel rules and it has some powerful Azzarello WW energy surging through it. A lot more fun too! Harley Quinn just being Silence of the Lambs is something I didn't expect but thought was done pretty well though I do hate the art. I wish I hated the art more so I could totally forget about it but we will see.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Is this dark nights metal stuff good? I also see Dark Nights death metal?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RBX posted:

Goodness no, everyone reading it here including myself are masochists.

e: okay, I thought Metal was alright, but Death Metal is a nooooooooo

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Will the real Batman please stand up, please stand up.

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/statu...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Keaton is old. Batman Beyond is one step closer to live action

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

2022: Batman: Year One film with Robert Pattinson
2023: The Dark Knight Returns film with Michael Keaton
2024: All-Star Batman & Robin film with Ben Affleck

:getin:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JordanKai posted:

2022: Batman: Year One film with Robert Pattinson
2023: The Dark Knight Returns film with Michael Keaton
2024: All-Star Batman & Robin film with Ben Affleck

:getin:

Well they've got David Ayer on speed-deal so he can ogle whoever plays Vicky Vale with the camera.

radlum
May 13, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Will the real Batman please stand up, please stand up.

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/statu...%5Es1_&ref_url=

I love that Keaton did Birdman and thought "Nevermind what Inarritu thinks; more superhero blockbusters is actually what I need"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

I love that Keaton did Birdman and thought "Nevermind what Inarritu thinks; more superhero blockbusters is actually what I need"

Probably more like he saw what all these superhero actors are getting paid and thought that. Gunning for that RDJ paycheck.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay yeah look...Death Metal #7 is...some cray-rear end tomfoolery and outright incomprehensible by even the barest of standards...but I can't help myself but to like it anyway. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

RBX posted:

I didn't get in on the dark nights metal, but death metal was the first comic I actually picked up in years. Partially because I'm a fan of Capullo's outrageousness. The core books were rather decent and I also enjoyed the Justice League books. However, most of the one-shots were hit or miss. Actually, a few of those were REALLY bad. I enjoyed the Robin King character. I mean, get a load of this belt...