Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Do you have the Pact that enforces a time limit? Those remove the survival rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Heliotrope posted:

Do you have the Pact that enforces a time limit? Those remove the survival rooms.

I'm not OP but that makes a lot of sense. I got one the other day but I was absolutely on heat and was surprised because I hadn't seen one in ages aside from troves

I hadn't made that connection because I sort of shuffle that pact on and off depending on what I'm doing so thank you

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Watching the community degrade the names for Asterius from “asterius” to “bull” to plainly “cow” has been a pleasure

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Muscle Tracer posted:

two unrelated realizations:

one, those "survive for 45 seconds" rooms are potentially huge gold sources. i'd always treated it as pure survival, just running in circles to evade foes, but I just had one that was all charging heads and mages, and ripped through them fast enough to earn a full 200 gold.

two, according to Steam, 5% of playershave all of skelly's trophies, including the 32-heat run, 5.8% have completed the Achilles quest, so by my calculations the Achilles quest is about equivalent to a 28-heat run. i am just never, ever going to get that dialogue to unlock, am i?

It’s actually only the first two statues. By your calculation it’s only a 14-heat run. 🙂

Edit: Achilles took forever for me, it was sometime after run 100 if I recall right. Only thing that took longer was Hypnos.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Achilles was my third last one to finish but it's because he has a double requirement of talking to Patroclus in between but also wading through all his other dialogue. Hypnos takes absolutely forever and I'm not even sure how to help speed it along other than trying to encounter Thanatos during a run.

Hermes is in opinion far and away the easiest because you're running into him every run anyway and the Plume is something you equip for a good length of a run so you're maxing it out very quickly.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

well why not posted:

Watching the community degrade the names for Asterius from “asterius” to “bull” to plainly “cow” has been a pleasure

Asterius is strong and noble and my friend

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

wuffles posted:

Asterius is strong and noble and my friend

Yes as we have said he is a cow

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Sword's got versatility. It's not especially good at anything but it's also not especially bad. The main combo is great for stacking DOTs because you can turn the 3 hit into a 4 hit with the dash attack, and the AOE on the special is affected by any boon in that slot. The thrust at the end of the main combo also does a huge shove on enemies that can be pushed around (and Asterius).

Basically, Poseidon Poseidon Poseidon. Smash enemies into all the barriers.

Picked this game up yesterday and my best run so far was a Daedalus Hammer to upgrade the Sword special attack, then the Poseidon special attack boon that increased knockback, then another Poseidon boon that I think added a DOT effect to your special, and just spamming that. So :same:

Game's very fun but I need to not fall into the trap that I fell into on Bastion, where the game puts a bunch of weapons in front of me and I just stick with the default weapon unless forced to switch.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I think I have exhausted all of Skelly's dialogue because whenever I talk to him all I get is this:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

C-Euro posted:

Picked this game up yesterday and my best run so far was a Daedalus Hammer to upgrade the Sword special attack, then the Poseidon special attack boon that increased knockback, then another Poseidon boon that I think added a DOT effect to your special, and just spamming that. So :same:

Game's very fun but I need to not fall into the trap that I fell into on Bastion, where the game puts a bunch of weapons in front of me and I just stick with the default weapon unless forced to switch.

The game incentives you to switch around by giving a different weapon each run a bonus to Darkness gained.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finally managed to beat Hades once with the Chaos Shield + Zeus/Aphrodite boons. I thought the Shield was pretty weak when I first tried it, but it provided a ton of stability that let me last longer than I thought I would. Probably helped that I was using God Mode too.

It's fun how different weapons influence my playing style; I played super careful with Shield/Bow, but when I pick up the Sword or Fists I instinctively decide that the best way to play is to bash myself against enemies regardless of how many times I get hit and then I end up dying early in on the run.

Anyways now I really want to build something with Artemis/Aphrodite for sick crits so I have to start building up Titan Bloods again.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Finally managed to beat Hades once with the Chaos Shield + Zeus/Aphrodite boons. I thought the Shield was pretty weak when I first tried it, but it provided a ton of stability that let me last longer than I thought I would. Probably helped that I was using God Mode too.

It's fun how different weapons influence my playing style; I played super careful with Shield/Bow, but when I pick up the Sword or Fists I instinctively decide that the best way to play is to bash myself against enemies regardless of how many times I get hit and then I end up dying early in on the run.

Anyways now I really want to build something with Artemis/Aphrodite for sick crits so I have to start building up Titan Bloods again.

If you like the bow, put blood into chiron aspect and get Aphrodite on attack and Artemis on special. If you want to use Chaos shield with those two flip it the other way around: charge through enemies, throw your special to debuff them all with weak and then start smacking them with attack/dash attack crits from Artemis—the shield has good chunky base damage.

Aphrodite also offers Sweet Surrender (weak foes take more damage), Broken Resolve (weak effects are more potent), and Unhealthy Fixation (legendary that has 15% chance to charm)—applying those effects to an entire room is very potent.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ApplesandOranges posted:

The game incentives you to switch around by giving a different weapon each run a bonus to Darkness gained.

Oh it does? I haven't unlocked any of the other weapons yet, I'll have to save some keys for those. Thanks.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Oh it does? I haven't unlocked any of the other weapons yet, I'll have to save some keys for those. Thanks.

One of the weapons will have a purple aura about it when you go to the room with skelly. You can gain 20% more darkness with it for that run, and with a contractor upgrade, 20% for gems as well.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I saw the credits today after playing on God Mode the whole time, and it made me wish there was a way to roll back God Mode a bit. By the time I got my first win, other poo poo came online that made it where the only loss I had in the next ten runs was because I picked a weapon I just didn't want to use and deliberately died early on (though I don't think I would have won anyway) on the very next run. Some of the following nine consecutive wins were close calls, but by the end it felt safer than I would have really preferred. I guess I could have turned it off altogether and maybe ate poo poo for a bit if necessary, but an intermediate option would have been cool. Maybe even just having wins lower it again as an option in the same way that losses previously raised it? Anyway, I don't think I'm going to be doing a ton of post-ending runs to climb the Heat ladder and try to see everything there is to see or anything since this really isn't my favorite genre, but it was a fun and charming experience, and I'll probably at least dip in now and then for a couple runs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

well why not posted:

I mean, he is half cow, on his father's side.

...look, I'm sorry, but "Holstein and Smug" was RIGHT THERE.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

wuffles posted:

If you like the bow, put blood into chiron aspect and get Aphrodite on attack and Artemis on special. If you want to use Chaos shield with those two flip it the other way around: charge through enemies, throw your special to debuff them all with weak and then start smacking them with attack/dash attack crits from Artemis—the shield has good chunky base damage.

Aphrodite also offers Sweet Surrender (weak foes take more damage), Broken Resolve (weak effects are more potent), and Unhealthy Fixation (legendary that has 15% chance to charm)—applying those effects to an entire room is very potent.

I was thinking about putting points in the base bow cause it gives increased crit chance, but it's true I have been looking for a special-based bow build, so this might be it!

I just wish Titan's Blood and Diamonds dropped more frequently cause I constantly have to buy Titan Bloods with Ambrosia to get more neat weapon stuff.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

So what exactly does it mean when a boon has a high rarity? Whenever I visit Euridice I find myself at something of a loss because I don't really know the difference between upgrading a boon's rarity vs. its level.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ariong posted:

So what exactly does it mean when a boon has a high rarity? Whenever I visit Euridice I find myself at something of a loss because I don't really know the difference between upgrading a boon's rarity vs. its level.

Rarity is basically a baked-in level up. Each rank of rarity changes a Boon's starting stats, meaning level-ups added onto that via Poms will make a bigger difference the rarer it is.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Ariong posted:

From what ive been able to piece together I think that you can only upgrade boons to a certain level (5 I think?)

Upgrading from Rare to Epic is effectively the same as going from Lvl 1 -> 2, BUT! Since it is only lvl 1 on Epic now it has higher stats at level 5, and if a God gives you the "Replace this persons boon with mine!" It will be Heroic instead of Epic.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

General observation is that the boost per level tends to flatten out, so if you have 4 boons at level 1, the level boost might be more worthwhile. If you already have a leveled boon the rarity boost would be a bigger jump

Paint Crop Pro posted:

From what ive been able to piece together I think that you can only upgrade boons to a certain level (5 I think?)

You can level boons indefinitely, there is a keepsake that autolevels boons and having that plus poms I've had level 9s lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 5, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Woo beat the Hydra on my first encounter with it :toot: Can't wait to follow that run up by face-planting in Tartarus when I forget that I'm using the Bow instead of the Sword.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I was thinking about putting points in the base bow cause it gives increased crit chance, but it's true I have been looking for a special-based bow build, so this might be it!

I just wish Titan's Blood and Diamonds dropped more frequently cause I constantly have to buy Titan Bloods with Ambrosia to get more neat weapon stuff.

Chiron bow is one of the strongest weapons and a great pick if you like the bow’s playstyle. It does take a lot of blood to really shine though—the base unlock and first few levels are anemic without getting the hammers for relentless volley (+4 arrows) and/or concentrated volley (+3 base damage per hit). You still want those hammers with max aspect, but you can get by without.

All the Zag aspects are the cheapest to unlock and level up though. If I was doing it again I’d max zag fists and shield first, then dump blood into chiron to max. The fists with Lambent Plume are amazing and the zag shield is very versatile and does really well with the base damage increase.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Rarity is almost always better than boon level and boon levels have diminishing returns. Having Euridice hit 4 boons for level up is only valuable if you have a ton of boons and therefore a low chance of improving rarity on one you care about. And even then only if they're mostly level 1 to begin with.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The way it works is this, Rarity improves the base increase of the boon and the scaling increase from levels.

For example, say a common version of the boon starts at 50% damage increase, and goes up by 5% per level. The Uncommon version might start at 60% and go up by 6% per level, the rare version starts at 70% etc.

Obviously none of these numbers are the actual numbers, but I think that gets the idea across.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So does anyone know the trigger to unlock the back half of hypnos' affection meter? Doesn't seem linked to story progression, I did everything and the epilogue a while ago now and I've had everyone else unlocked for ten or so runs now, just incidental dialogue. He even had his own moment of character building that I really thought would have preceded unlocking it

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Are you besting Thanatos every time he shows up? That'll make him show up in the house after your run, and some of the Hypnos progression relies on interactions with Than.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

The way it works is this, Rarity improves the base increase of the boon and the scaling increase from levels.

For example, say a common version of the boon starts at 50% damage increase, and goes up by 5% per level. The Uncommon version might start at 60% and go up by 6% per level, the rare version starts at 70% etc.

Obviously none of these numbers are the actual numbers, but I think that gets the idea across.

That makes sense, thank you.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I've beaten him most times but I haven't actually seen him my last few runs and I also lost to him last time I did so I'll keep that in mind

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sometimes Thanatos shows up when you have a slow-but-steady build and a bunch of super tanky enemies show up and there’s just no way you’re going to beat him. That’s life. Well, actually it’s death but the point still stands.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just had a run with the hidden rail where I also had the crystal laser, got an extra cast for the final fight, and faster cast regen.

Gameplan: never use primary attack.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Muscle Tracer posted:

two, according to Steam, 5% of playershave all of skelly's trophies, including the 32-heat run, 5.8% have completed the Achilles quest, so by my calculations the Achilles quest is about equivalent to a 28-heat run.

This is a hilariously weird argument

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is a hilariously weird argument

that's the power of numbers, baybee

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

that's the power of numbers, baybee

What's the heat equivalent for Three-Headed Boy

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What's the heat equivalent for Three-Headed Boy

well first off, i have to acknowledge that my original numbers were very wrong, as Fistful of Silence pointed out. Three-Headed Boy has been completed by 32.4% of players, or about six times as many as have completed a 16-heat run, which according to mathematics therefore means that petting Cerberus 20 times is as hard as completing a 2-3 heat run.

78.3% of players have cleared Tartarus, meaning that completing Tartarus is about as hard as completing a full 1-heat run (1.02 to be precise), which makes sense.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Muscle Tracer posted:

which according to mathematics therefore means that petting Cerberus 20 times is as hard as completing a 2-3 heat run.

I first read this as "petting Cerberus is 20 times as hard as" and I'm still not sure what I think about that. I haven't actually completed a run yet.

Anyway, bought this game 2 days ago and have already put in way too much time on it for someone expected to work 8 hours/day and sleep. I really like the railgun, but can admit it's super clunky to use. I don't have much stuff unlocked yet, because it turns out I've been making some amazingly stupid purchases with some of my most limited resources: maxing out nectar spending on Chaos and dumping blood into the shield largely at random.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

I really like the railgun, but can admit it's super clunky to use.

Rebind reload to something more accessible and get zeus on attack. I went from hating it to getting my fastest ever clear in one fell swoop.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Rebind reload to something more accessible and get zeus on attack. I went from hating it to getting my fastest ever clear in one fell swoop.

I really wish we could double up buttons on the controller. Having one button be reload/interact would be perfect.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I rebound LB, it's not like I need to ever open the journal in an emergency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

It just occurred to me that the art design choice for Cerberus might be a shoutout to Clifford the Big Red Dog.