Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Data Graham posted:

Still though, you know. GWB in a flight suit got a lot of people's dicks hard, and then watching Bill Pullman ape it in Independence Day sealed the deal of "what a President is" for a generation

I don't think the flight suit stunt worked particularly well, even at the time, it looked Hollywood and cheesy. Anyone with a brain saw that "Mission Accomplished" banner and knew Bush had just utterly hosed his 70% approval rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Data Graham posted:

... wait. what did my brain even just do

I had an actual point and then dunked myself :lmao:

Life imitating art, imitating life. Roland Emmerich is the modern-day Nostradamus. Any day now the Yellowstone caldera is gonna burst.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
The only people that thought the W flight suit nonsense was cool were apocalyptic Christians like him and eldritch slobs like that woman from the RNC with the purple heart on her face.

And now I'm angry again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DynamicSloth posted:

I don't think the flight suit stunt worked particularly well, even at the time, it looked Hollywood and cheesy. Anyone with a brain saw that "Mission Accomplished" banner and knew Bush had just utterly hosed his 70% approval rating.

I mean that's what I'm saying, you might be underestimating just how profusely the right-wing blogosphere salivated over it.

It was of a piece with the "Bush throws football like manly man / Kerry throws like girl" photos

I mean this is just the impression I had at the time, and maybe the statistics don't bear it out. But if people are still trying to capitalize on that imagery to boost their political careers it doesn't surprise me, is all I'm saying.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Just saw this: https://twitter.com/freep/status/1346434539506311171

Can anyone with more knowledge about this bill/debate or criminal justice reform tell me if this is a good or bad thing? Drunk driving is one thing that really irritates me, but decriminalization is good in general, so I don't know what to think. Also, I'm unaware of any specifics that might sway my opinion beyond what's listed in the article (if there's a # of years requirement since the DUI, etc).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I mean that's what I'm saying, you might be underestimating just how profusely the right-wing blogosphere salivated over it.

It was of a piece with the "Bush throws football like manly man / Kerry throws like girl" photos

I mean this is just the impression I had at the time, and maybe the statistics don't bear it out. But if people are still trying to capitalize on that imagery to boost their political careers it doesn't surprise me, is all I'm saying.

The culture warriors certainly saw... Something in Dubya :hmmyes:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rappaport posted:

The culture warriors certainly saw... Something in Dubya :hmmyes:

He looks incredibly like Pence there. Mirin' those forearms tho, future candidates should start doing wrist curls before they even declare interest in running

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Lone Badger posted:

I see a problem here.

Trust me, McConnell doesn't want to put up with Trump one minute more than he has to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kalit posted:

Can anyone with more knowledge about this bill/debate or criminal justice reform tell me if this is a good or bad thing? Drunk driving is one thing that really irritates me, but decriminalization is good in general, so I don't know what to think. Also, I'm unaware of any specifics that might sway my opinion beyond what's listed in the article (if there's a # of years requirement since the DUI, etc).

Yeah that one's tough for me too. Drunk driving is idiotic and dangerous, but on the other hand it really does completely ruin people's lives. One of my friends got a DUI 15 years ago and he's still dealing with the fallout, the cost was crazy. And he was barely over the limit at the time. The only difference between me and him at that age is that he got caught, I drove home hammered a number of times for years in my youth.

That said, keeping the penalty harsh does do more for deterrent. Same friend never drinks at bars anymore and is generally much healthier.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Kalit posted:

With no knowledge at all of what the legalization was aimed at, I don't blame her, drunk driving is one of the worst things you can do and completely an avoidable situation to put yourself in.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m fine with them throwing the hammer at drunk drivers because unlike :catdrugs: drunk drivers ruin innocent lives.

Medullah posted:

Yeah that one's tough for me too. Drunk driving is idiotic and dangerous, but on the other hand it really does completely ruin people's lives. One of my friends got a DUI 15 years ago and he's still dealing with the fallout, the cost was crazy. And he was barely over the limit at the time. The only difference between me and him at that age is that he got caught, I drove home hammered a number of times for years in my youth.

The “cost” is crazy ok but him slamming into a car and murdering those people who did everything right is also pretty crazy. gently caress your friend and gently caress you too.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 5, 2021

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I was almost killed by a drunk driver hitting me at a stop light at 50 miles an hour last year. This isn’t like shoplifting or getting caught with a dime bag. People die from this.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kalit posted:

It looks like its based on a bill already passed to expunge other offenses after 3-7 years, which explicitly excluded drunk driving.

I'm pretty torn on if it's good or not. On the one hand, our justice system is entirely garbage. On the other, so are drunk drivers.

If you keep other harsh penalties I don't see why a 7 year expungement would be bad, assuming no repeat offenses

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Drunk driving laws are currently just a fine on being poor. Of course abolish the record given sufficient passage of time.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
All the bill allowed for apparently was for first-time offenders who hadn't injured/killed anybody to petition a judge to see if they would expunge it as far as I know. That's real benign and it's a bit baffling to draw the line there.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

papa horny michael posted:

Drunk driving laws are currently just a fine on being poor. Of course abolish the record given sufficient passage of time.

Would love to hear your reasoning behind them just bring a tax on the poor.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I believe the thought behind that is that people with more money can afford good DUI lawyers and mostly 'get out of it', for lack of a better term. More lenient sentence, not sure about fees, though.

DUI punishments can be severe, and poor people feel it more.

DUI on record can kill job prospects. They may be restricted to driving completely, or only during daytime and/or going to and from work. They may have to pay for a breathalyzer to be installed in their ignition.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Zeron posted:

All the bill allowed for apparently was for first-time offenders who hadn't injured/killed anybody to petition a judge to see if they would expunge it as far as I know. That's real benign and it's a bit baffling to draw the line there.

Yea, considering it was introduced by Republicans, I could see some of their rural friends who couldn't talk their way out of the DUI pushing it. Granted, non-white people still proportionately get DUI charges more than white people (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/8063497_Driving_under_the_influence_DUI_among_US_ethnic_groups), so it might still be better from an equality/criminal justice point of view? :shrug:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 5, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I could see an argument revolving around the fact that fines cause disproportionate amounts of suffering (and are therefore differently deterring) depending on if the fined party is rich or poor, and that the rich can more easily afford to get someone sober to drive for them.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

I remember my friends in the US terrified of drinking whenever we went out because they were mostly public school teachers anda DUI would ruin their record and likely get them fired and blacklisted. I couldn't drive for them because I didn't have a US license.

Compare that to the mess of politicians and rich failsons piling upo DUIs to no effect. Wasn't it W's wife who actually killed someone while drunk driving and just skated?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It's a huge can of worms and there's no right answer, but in America this:

Thom12255 posted:

drunk driving is completely an avoidable situation to put yourself in.

is not true. Outside of dense urban areas, a vehicle is required to get around, and we have no public transport. Taxis are expensive, slow, and often unavailable. Sure, you can say people shouldn't drink that much or should always have a designated driver, but you can also say abstinence works. Humans just don't work that way.

It's a lovely situation all around.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

If you didn't kill anyone and have the money to afford a competent lawyer it basically amounts to a fine, and then the old adage of "laws where the penalty is only money only really apply to the poor" kicks in.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Medullah posted:

That said, keeping the penalty harsh does do more for deterrent. Same friend never drinks at bars anymore and is generally much healthier.

Anecdotally, so i should probably actually look up statistics on this, but everyone I've known who got DUIs either got one and had a huge wakeup call about how much of an idiot they are while drunk or they went on to get several more. I think most people I knew who got one fell into the first category by a significant margin. It is a complicated issue in that it's basically a dice roll whether or not someone is unlucky enough to end up hurting someone so idk if there's a clear moral difference between someone who did or did not injure someone in terms of the risk they willingly subjected others to. That said if someone demonstrates that they give a gently caress, gets help, and doesn't do that poo poo again, by all means it's probably reasonable to expunge it.

Upon looking it up ~30% of dui arrests are for people with prior dui arrests (and apparently this number has been relatively stable for quite a while).

Jows posted:

If you didn't kill anyone and have the money to afford a competent lawyer it basically amounts to a fine, and then the old adage of "laws where the penalty is only money only really apply to the poor" kicks in.

Yeah the whole system around duis is pretty hosed up. I know it varies state to state, but it's really, really hard to actually lose the ability to drive in some states. Like they'll add restrictions but as long as someone pays for a lawyer and argues that they need to be able to drive for family or work reasons or whatever, there's a good chance they'll still be driving. And from knowing people who had breathalyzers installed, they quickly figured out exactly how much they could drink how long before their car would start (and it definitely wasn't minimal).

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 5, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ColdPie posted:

is not true. Outside of dense urban areas, a vehicle is required to get around, and we have no public transport. Taxis are expensive, slow, and often unavailable. Sure, you can say people shouldn't drink that much or should always have a designated driver, but you can also say abstinence works. Humans just don't work that way.

Drinking at a bar is an entirely avoidable thing.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Sure, you can say people shouldn't drink that much or should always have a designated driver, but you can also say abstinence works. Humans just don't work that way.

Ha ha, no. You're an irresponsible idiot if you think deciding never to drink when you can't get home without driving is impossible or comparable to abstinence.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Data Graham posted:

I recently had to explain what "swiftboating" was to a younger person and they looked appalled. Conservative messaging is so good at appealing to the lower brain functions, there doesn't seem to be any particularly effective counter to it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Drinking at a bar is an entirely avoidable thing.

Walh Hara posted:

Ha ha, no. You're an irresponsible idiot if you think deciding never to drink when you can't get home without driving is impossible or comparable to abstinence.

GJ guys, you solved drunk driving. Looking forward to zero drunk driving deaths this year.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jows posted:

The direct penalty from a first offense DUI where nobody is injured is generally pretty minimal.

The real harm from a DUI conviction comes from two, or rather three, things:

1) your insurance rates spike dramatically, meaning you will need to be fairly well off to keep driving OR you will keep driving anyway without insurance and face future arrests for driving without insurance,

2) you will get locked out of a lot of lower level jobs that require driving (e.g., fedex won't hire you, other employers might not depending)

3) if you're arrested for a second dui down the road you will face very heavy fines and probably jailtime.

That said, even a first offense DUI if someone is hurt or killed, yeah, you're probably going to jail for a very long time, no matter how rich or white you are.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Oh wow, you're making this argument and this analogy with a straight face!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That said, even a first offense DUI if someone is hurt or killed, yeah, you're probably going to jail for a very long time, no matter how rich or white you are.

Isn't the affluenza kid basically a refutation of this?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ColdPie posted:

People can just not drink if they know they have no alternate way of getting home other than driving themselves. I know there's the 10 different 'well, buts' people list off to this poo poo, i spent 10 years playing pool in bars a couple nights a week... it really is that simple.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I think drunk driving should continue to have extremely harsh punishments because innocent lives die from it all the time. I think most of us know of someone who got hosed up / killed by a dipshit drunk driver.

On the other hand, I do think if an under 18year old was arrested for a DUI, they should be able to get that expunged from their record after a certain time if they have shown they are acting responsible towards alcohol, ect. Kids are dumb and do dumb poo poo and I don't think what a kid does at 16, should be held against them at 36 if they got themselves straighten out. My thinking on this applies to just about every offence not just drunk driving.

quote:

Ehhhh. Wealth and Race do still very much play a part in what kind of sentence you get, and how much it fucks up your life.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 5, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bubbacub posted:

I recently had to explain what "swiftboating" was to a younger person and they looked appalled. Conservative messaging is so good at appealing to the lower brain functions, there doesn't seem to be any particularly effective counter to it.

Remember how just the fact that Kerry used the word "nuance" to describe foreign relations was disqualifying to that side?

To this day if you say "nuance" to a certain cohort, in any context, they will laugh at you for your ivory-tower naïveté

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

ColdPie posted:

Outside of dense urban areas, a vehicle is required to get around, and we have no public transport. Taxis are expensive, slow, and often unavailable. Sure, you can say people shouldn't drink that much or should always have a designated driver, but you can also say abstinence works. Humans just don't work that way.

I hear this all the time and it's just the weakest bullshit imaginable. There is no public transportation or taxi service where I live and I manage to not drink and drive. gently caress those people who do.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

ColdPie posted:

Sure, you can say people shouldn't drink that much or should always have a designated driver, but you can also say abstinence works. Humans just don't work that way.

It scares me that people rationalize this stuff.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Like, you're your own ride home for the night? congratulations on your evening of drinking one piss beer an hour while you're out (and stopping a good while before you drive home). Or just pay a loving cab: if you're fine paying an 800% markup on booze, fuckit, pay the markup on the car ride. You can literally get a 30 dollar cab ride home every night of the year and it is comparable in cost to one dui.

\/

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sure. But once you get into severe DUI's the penalties are so high, just due to the extremity of American sentencing laws, that you're gonna be fairly hosed up if convicted or if you plea, regardless. Eight years is still a hell of a long time to spend incarcerated.

yeah that's still going to be 2-3 years served at best and release terms are almost definitely going to be really restrictive and basically set up to give you every opportunity to fail.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 5, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Isn't the affluenza kid basically a refutation of this?

Hence the "probably"

There's always a chance you luck out but just as an example, I once attended a multi-day DUI seminar where the keynote presentation was from a lawyer who had defended a fatality DUI. His client was a young well off white dude and the decedent was a young white blond girl. The big achievement the presentation was about was that he was only sentenced to eight years not twenty.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ehhhh. Wealth and Race do still very much play a part in what kind of sentence you get, and how much it fucks up your life.

Sure. But once you get into severe DUI's the penalties are so high, just due to the extremity of American sentencing laws, that you're gonna be fairly hosed up if convicted or if you plea, regardless. Eight years is still a hell of a long time to spend incarcerated.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 5, 2021

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Skippy McPants posted:

Life imitating art, imitating life. Roland Emmerich is the modern-day Nostradamus. Any day now the Yellowstone caldera is gonna burst.

As long as Woody Harrelson is on-scene to give us the play-by-play, I'm in.

ColdPie posted:

Perhaps the one good thing about Uber is that this is no longer an excuse (and it was a bad excuse before that anyway).

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Vire posted:

I was almost killed by a drunk driver hitting me at a stop light at 50 miles an hour last year. This isn’t like shoplifting or getting caught with a dime bag. People die from this.

You could change this to "I was almost killed by a driver hitting me at a stop light at 50 miles an hour last year.", and it would sound equally believable and mundane. American car culture is insane.

Really wish one of the lasting effects of COVID would be a diminished need for a daily commute.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Like, you're your own ride home for the night? congratulations on your evening of not drinking while you're out. Or just pay a loving cab: if you're fine paying an 800% markup on booze, fuckit, pay the markup on the car ride. You can literally get a 30 dollar cab ride home every night of the year and it is comparable in cost to one dui.

There, I fixed it for you, that wasn't so hard after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Remember the affluenza kid. Imagine his sentence if he'd been Black.

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1346178169951412224?s=20