Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As I understand it (and I don't understand it that well), you need to install through a wad manager like is included in USBLGX anyways, though it will still show up as a channel, and you want to install it to an emunand since it's at least theoretically safer for the Wii long-term, and might? let you install more things than the Wii has memory for internally.

I only installed one wad though, so I don't really remember. It wasn't super difficult but it wasn't as simple as anything else was in the hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m pretty sure I just went into the SD manager on the Wii and chose “install”. I didn’t use emuNAND, so I’m limited to system memory, but you can put WAD channels back onto the SD card whenever you want

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just a crosspost from SA-Mart:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953138

Selling the previously mentioned Switch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Just use Nintendont. Given that you’ll almost never hit the start button (+ button) in a GC game, closing the game will rarely happen. Nintendont has more useful cheats and hacks, like y axis inverts and quality of life stuff.

If you install nintendont on the wii partition of the wii u, you can also use the wii u pro controller which is nice. Presumably you can also use those gamecube style controllers they made when smash came out, but I never got one of those.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

raditts posted:

If you install nintendont on the wii partition of the wii u, you can also use the wii u pro controller which is nice. Presumably you can also use those gamecube style controllers they made when smash came out, but I never got one of those.

Afaik you can even play on the gamepad screen.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Some Goon posted:

Afaik you can even play on the gamepad screen.

Only if you do some wacky thing where you install the game as a "channel" on the WiiU home screen. Unfortunately you cannot use the gamepad buttons otherwise. (And the WiiU has that stupid 300 title limit so you don't really want to fill it up with 170 Gamecube games).

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I used to have nintendont installed in the wii u homescreen with gamepad support, you'll have to make one with teconmoon's injector

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/ill-fated-goldeneye-xbla-project-leaks-with-a-caveat-201228

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Get the best password crackers on this stat. Goldeneye with modern dual stick controls is exactly what I need.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Wish 360s wernt so hard to mod

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Would be cool if it was a dev build running on pc or something.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Cracking a 100 character password is impossible, surely itll come out eventually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRuhviJGMQ

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
From what I understand, the password is just a derivation for a 256-bit encryption key... but that's still way too much to brute-force. Unfortunate.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Muk Dumpster posted:

Wish 360s wernt so hard to mod

I think reset glitches are easy. Unless you meant jtag?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All the more reason to mod your consoles I guess.

https://twitter.com/modernvintageg/status/1346437797163331584?s=21

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Yep, DSi XL with a 32gb SD card and HiyaCFW is the bee's knees.

You can run pretty much every GBA, DS, and DSiWare game on one, all natively with no emulation. And everything looks incredible because they all play on their original resolution, unlike the 3DS. It's very awesome to see GBA games running at their native resolution but on a huge IPS screen.

The only complaint is the DSi/DSiXL is like the Wii in that 32gb is the max SD card it can support. So you can't have the ENTIRE DS library on it but you can have the best ones, as well as the full DSiWare and GBA ROM sets.

Edit: also TwilightMenu/NDSBootstrap/GBArunner2 is still being updated regularly. Hell, there was an update just three days ago!

You youngsters don't know how good you have it. In my day you had to have Flipnote studio pre-installed to hack your DSi. And you had to copy and paste an image 133 times before it worked! :corsair:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 5, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Is it a hard limit or is it just weirdness about FAT32 formatting? There's definitely an 128gb SD card in my Wii.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

As someone who never owned a DSi, none of the DSiWare games looked appealing to me. Hell, few DS games do, but I never liked the look of early 3D even when it was new.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Walla posted:

As someone who never owned a DSi, none of the DSiWare games looked appealing to me. Hell, few DS games do, but I never liked the look of early 3D even when it was new.

The Art Style series and Q Games' Trajectile, Starship Defense and X-Scape are great.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yep, DSi XL with a 32gb SD card and HiyaCFW is the bee's knees.

You can run pretty much every GBA, DS, and DSiWare game on one, all natively with no emulation. And everything looks incredible because they all play on their original resolution, unlike the 3DS. It's very awesome to see GBA games running at their native resolution but on a huge IPS screen.

The only complaint is the DSi/DSiXL is like the Wii in that 32gb is the max SD card it can support. So you can't have the ENTIRE DS library on it but you can have the best ones, as well as the full DSiWare and GBA ROM sets.

Edit: also TwilightMenu/NDSBootstrap/GBArunner2 is still being updated regularly. Hell, there was an update just three days ago!

You youngsters don't know how good you have it. In my day you had to have Flipnote studio pre-installed to hack your DSi. And you had to copy and paste an image 133 times before it worked! :corsair:

Eh, I think GBARunner2's neat but I'm not sure I'm convinced its a great way to play GBA. I tried Pokemon LeafGreen on it on my DSi XL and it was kind of a stuttery mess.

On the topic of Twilight Menu though, does the latest version still have weird compatibility issues with TWL carts? I can boot my copies of Pokemon Black or Black 2 like, once in a blue moon, but its super finnicky getting them to even get to that point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Some Goon posted:

Is it a hard limit or is it just weirdness about FAT32 formatting? There's definitely an 128gb SD card in my Wii.

It's probably like the old IOS revisions of the Wii where it won't read it. Theoretically a firmware update could have enabled it, but..

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's probably like the old IOS revisions of the Wii where it won't read it. Theoretically a firmware update could have enabled it, but..

If it can read an SDHC card, it should be able to read an SDXC card formatted to FAT32. The difference between SD/SDHC/SDXC is generally disk format (FAT/FAT32/exFAT respectively) meaning that 4GB is the straight up limit on SD, but SDHC is only a software imposed limit of 32GB for whatever reason that dumb limit was introduced for the FAT32 formatting software.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s still happening!

I actually own lego city undercover digitally. So I guess I hope my 3ds doesn’t crap out before I get a chance to dump that game.

https://twitter.com/modernvintageg/status/1346871553603084300?s=21

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Delisting from digital stores usually just means you can't buy the game anymore, but anyone who already bought it can still re-download it forever

Does the eShop not work like that? :whitewater:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If I can find a way to dump my game I’ll try it, but not till I have a copy

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^ https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage.html#dumping-a-title

Make sure you dump any title updates or DLC separately. (though some games have their updates merged into the base game)

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 6, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

repiv posted:

Delisting from digital stores usually just means you can't buy the game anymore, but anyone who already bought it can still re-download it forever

Until they take those servers offline too. Only :filez: is forever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

repiv posted:

Yes? According to the comments it's still downloadable.

Just checked myself and the files are still on the server.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

SeANMcBAY posted:

Until they take those servers offline too. Only :filez: is forever.

See it was preservation this whole time!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I get wanting to play dead games but someone tell the rom herders to stop wasting server space on the various imagine ds games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

I get wanting to play dead games but someone tell the rom herders to stop wasting server space on the various imagine ds games

There's no such thing as server space anymore, preserve everything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Disk is cheap. Keep all the files

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Just lol if you don't have a complete romset of every system ever

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Letting bad shovelware die is good, actually

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Letting bad shovelware die is good, actually

Nah. The world needs Russel Grant's Astrology for DS to exist, sorry.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have a question.

I have a launch day OG Switch that’s running the latest firmware I think it’s 11.0.1.

I’ve increasingly been getting the hankering to mod it at first simply because I love playing the SNES games on it that come with Nintendo Switch Online but I’m getting frustrated at the glacial pace Nintendo is putting new games out on it. I want to play Earthbound and FFVI on my Switch. And maybe dip into some GBA and possibly some PS1/PSP games as well.

I’m not interested in doing anything else. I’d rather not mess up the firmware on the Switch. I think there was a way to just run emulators and some software on a SD card without messing much with the actual Switch.

I really don’t want my Nintendo account banned either.

What direction should I be looking? Any tips / guides?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The safest way to do that is to keep a separate sd card to boot into lakka. Keeps everything completely separate, as far as Nintendo knows you just have your switch turned off whenever you're in linux mode

https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I switched over to stock OS to try monster hunter demo with friends and it required an update.

After the update I was receiving an error when booting to cfw. Some frantic googling later and I just had to take game card out of the slot. Apparently the latest Switch update also updates the card slot.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have a question.

I have a launch day OG Switch that’s running the latest firmware I think it’s 11.0.1.

I’ve increasingly been getting the hankering to mod it at first simply because I love playing the SNES games on it that come with Nintendo Switch Online but I’m getting frustrated at the glacial pace Nintendo is putting new games out on it. I want to play Earthbound and FFVI on my Switch. And maybe dip into some GBA and possibly some PS1/PSP games as well.

I’m not interested in doing anything else. I’d rather not mess up the firmware on the Switch. I think there was a way to just run emulators and some software on a SD card without messing much with the actual Switch.

I really don’t want my Nintendo account banned either.

What direction should I be looking? Any tips / guides?

Is getting a mini SNES an affordable option? That might be better for what you're looking to do. You'd want a USB thumb drive and this octopus-looking style of USB hub to go with it for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently installing a bunch of WiiWare WADs to my Wii and I'm using of course a WAD installer in Homebrew Channel to do it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is a way in any of these WAD managers to tell it to install to the SD card. It automatically chooses the Wii internal memory.

This is a bit of a problem because I can only get through like three WADs before getting error messages that relate to the system memory being full. This means even though I have like 100 titles that I want to install, I have to install like three, then return to the Wii system menu, choose the "move to SD" option for each one of them, and then go back to the WAD manager. I anticipate this will take me roughly 3 days to complete.

Is there a WAD manager out there that will let you install WADs to the SD card instead of the internal memory? I have like three different ones in Homebrew Channel and don't see that option on any of them.

Edit: or should I just be doing the emunand thing in USB Loader GX? Does that method still only have like 80% compatibility?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 13, 2021