Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Mr Hootington posted:

Tell us the company so we can insider trade too

i'm gonna insider trade so loving hard.

"worked a lot of overtime this week, gonna put it towards some put contracts because they can't afford this kind of payroll expenditure"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wish my company gave me stock but we're owned by private equity lol

least our company isnt being hollowed out for scraps and we're actually more valuable during a lockdown.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

It's both. Both things can be and are bad.

Sounds like you feel confused over what would be the best decision for yourself if you were in a position where you felt delivering food is the most reasonable long-term option for you. Ask yourself: in an environment where you need to fight to survive, would it feel better to judge yourself and maintain your ideals while experiencing discomfort for an unknown period of time, or would you want to acknowledge and minimize your negative feelings? What feels more likely to guarantee your survival from the perspective of that individual? Imo, suppressing your negative feelings in the short-term is a difficult thing to do even in the face of reasonable ideals. I hope you'd want to give that benefit of time to other workers and channel your angry energy to the jerks that put those workers in that position in the first place

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Well the factory has started getting quotes for new orders. Nothing has changed but people seem to want to buy poo poo again.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

veepfake posted:

Sounds like you feel confused over what would be the best decision for yourself if you were in a position where you felt delivering food is the most reasonable long-term option for you. Ask yourself: in an environment where you need to fight to survive, would it feel better to judge yourself and maintain your ideals while experiencing discomfort for an unknown period of time, or would you want to acknowledge and minimize your negative feelings? What feels more likely to guarantee your survival from the perspective of that individual? Imo, suppressing your negative feelings in the short-term is a difficult thing to do even in the face of reasonable ideals. I hope you'd want to give that benefit of time to other workers and channel your angry energy to the jerks that put those workers in that position in the first place

Times are tough out there, tgotta make sure I can get mine. Scab logic in action, reframed as "giving the benefit of time to other workers".

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

Tell us the company so we can insider trade too

S-1s are public so spit it out and we can go down in flames too

I mean, you might be able to buy in pre-offering but the rest of us can only jump in on IPO day with the WSB degenerates

FistEnergy has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Jan 5, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is jack ma still missing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

actionjackson posted:

is jack ma still missing

Worried you are next?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

punished milkman posted:

i feel like there is a whole genre of “private equity firm with extremely ominous name” where they just openly revel in how evil they are

loving.. cerberus capital management is a pretty good one

i like Blackstone. oh dear what evil sorcerer lives in Castle Blackstone?! :ohdear:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

actionjackson posted:

is jack ma still missing

apparently he is "laying low"

also lol at this scab logic discussion, everyone sucks

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Some people are complete idiots and formed families that they are then responsible for. :shrug: Folks get horny, I don't blame 'em, though this another perfect example of why horny is prohibited.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Tubgoat posted:

Some people are complete idiots and formed families that they are then responsible for. :shrug: Folks get horny, I don't blame 'em, though this another perfect example of why horny is prohibited.

Ah, so it's bad to criticize people for having kids, but good to encourage the availability of contraceptives?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

please don’t attack workers, it’s leftist practice 101

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

human garbage bag posted:

Ah, so it's bad to criticize people for having kids, but good to encourage the availability of contraceptives?
No and yes, respectively.

Exhaust our strategic orphan reserves first, then we can make more (kids, not orphans).

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
it must be really hard to organize gig workers. i mean at a factory you meet each other in person every day, go to the pub after work to bitch about how lovely your bosses are, maybe have a couple of people who are actually friends outside of work. you get yelled at on the floor together, collectively cementing your hatred of the bosses. gig work is like pure isolation by design. i don't know how you get angry at an uber driver who doesn't join in a strike, the whole system is designed to prevent solidarity

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

please don’t attack workers, it’s leftist practice 101

Does this extend even to people crossing picket lines? Leftist practice 101 to not attack them?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
talking about "scabs" when no one is striking (outside the people mentioned in brazil) is kinda dumb and pointless.

start worrying about scabs when there are people on the picket line.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Dreylad posted:

talking about "scabs" when no one is striking (outside the people mentioned in brazil) is kinda dumb and pointless.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

anime was right posted:

wish my company gave me stock but we're owned by private equity lol

least our company isnt being hollowed out for scraps and we're actually more valuable during a lockdown.

believe me your company IS being hollowed out by the private equity firm, you're just making them so much money that they keep you on life support

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Does this extend even to people crossing picket lines? Leftist practice 101 to not attack them?

also everyone at raytheon has a family to support!

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Dreylad posted:

Nobody's striking (at the moment) in public schools, but guess what you are if you teach at a union-busting charter? Same thing with the people working to deliver these groceries that used to be union, even if their captured union doesn't have a strike vote.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Dreylad posted:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

ram dass in hell posted:

furthermore amazon warehouse workers should be barred from unions because they chose to work making an evil company richer

two companies make a deal loving over thousands of workers, a mass of people who won't be getting as many rights and your first thought is gently caress them they are responsible for this and somehow morally equivalent to people who make murder machines, it's a dead end liberal moral judgement because if the problem is there's a mass of bad people taking these gig work offers the solution is them waking up better one day and not taking lovely offers anymore, a nice fantasy but just that. these people were not hired as strike breakers and i wouldn't be surprised if door dash made a bulk human meat deal from their existing driver base in the name of union busting, get real and help them organize.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ram dass in hell posted:

this is a bad analogy, and you are a bad poster

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this is a bad analogy, and you are a bad poster

no, it's not. you're on some weird puritan poo poo about how having a job, any job, regardless of how you got it or what the job is, is a good thing and solidarity somehow requires forgetting that capitalism employs workers to do evil poo poo all the time, so that you can castigate others for being mean to the poor workers who did nothing wrong. Turn on your monitor.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

people are ethically compromised by their need to not starve to death, it’s one of them there ideology things that makes capitalism as a whole evil rather than a collection of bad actors, goofy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

saying deliveries groceries is the same as building targeting systems for the us military is beyond stupid

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

What if you deliver groceries to the people who work at Raytheon?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

thalweg posted:

only the janitors, and only if they’re unionized

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

thalweg posted:

put them against the wall imo

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

They're not the same, that's not what I'm saying and you're arguing against it because you can't defend your previous position of desperation justifies doing bad poo poo

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Raytheon engineers are highly educated professionals who could go work for any other civilian engineering firm on the planet for a like 15-20% pay cut and one fewer vacation to Europe every year. Grubhub drivers are nobodies who can go do nothing and get evicted. Come on, gently caress off.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

raytheon officials have a moral obligation to defect to the swamp maoists and build them a stealth bomber

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the prop 22 thing basically created an underclass of indentured servants right? and it’s electorally locked in now that nothing short of a complete revolution with a new constitution can resolve it?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

the prop 22 thing basically created an underclass of indentured servants right? and it’s electorally locked in now that nothing short of a complete revolution with a new constitution can resolve it?

yes

theoretically the california supreme court or a federal court could rule it unconstitutional (like what happened with prop 8, the gay marriage ban). or a new ballot prop could undo it. the latter would probably be impossible bar a revolution that undid the insane concentration of money that allowed 22 to be rammed through

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Jan 5, 2021

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm a leftist because I know it's more important to find someone to blame rather than find someone to organise.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

ram dass in hell posted:

no, it's not. you're on some weird puritan poo poo about how having a job, any job, regardless of how you got it or what the job is, is a good thing and solidarity somehow requires forgetting that capitalism employs workers to do evil poo poo all the time, so that you can castigate others for being mean to the poor workers who did nothing wrong. Turn on your monitor.

puritan my rear end, those who make the decisions be the ones held accountable, you're just making targets for your imaginary wimpy liberal scolding

ram dass in hell posted:

They're not the same, that's not what I'm saying and you're arguing against it because you can't defend your previous position of desperation justifies doing bad poo poo

you're implying delivery app workers are responsible for a business deal the companies made, the workers have no more responsibility over that than amazon workers have over their working conditions

it's not a question of morals, or a question of necessity/desperation, it's a class question, and it's not good well meaning people come together, it's workers of the world unite, if the historical labor movement were to follow your logic parents who put their kids in factories would be banned from fighting for the end of child labor

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

bagual posted:

puritan my rear end, those who make the decisions be the ones held accountable, you're just making targets for your imaginary wimpy liberal scolding

The only way to hold those responsible accountable is to shake the foundations they are resting on, and they've done a bang up job of building that foundation out of hostages. It's a pickle of a situation

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
all the people screaming about jack ma are really quiet today on twitter at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008