Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

sea of losers posted:

america's most blunted is one of the best madvillain tracks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jytxkJUM_7U

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

sea of losers posted:

no it isnt
also why do you think this

there is a country music singer who has my exact full name and he loving blows

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Slumpy posted:

there is a country music singer who has my exact full name and he loving blows

ok but what does that have to do with the genre as a whole
im a musician, there are musicians who suck who have stuff in common with me and... it doesnt matter at all lol. tons of good country and rap exist despite (or maybe because of) people being uncomfortable with lyrical themes involving poor social/financial/life standing, pride in overcoming said things, or pride as a member of the working class
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBR8E-uOdX8

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 4, 2021

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

sea of losers posted:

ok but what does that have to do with the genre as a whole
im a musician, there are musicians who suck who have stuff in common with me and... it doesnt matter at all lol

are you a good musician

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

Slumpy posted:

are you a good musician

idk bruh you tell me haha
https://asurarevolver.net/album/5-29-16-mycosocial

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Pimping my stuff in GBS like the classic captain Dan

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i mean theyre the ones who asked haha. i guess i should post more badass mf doom tunes. the piano melody sample in this is just *kisses fingers like chef*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc1hixzYPY

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 4, 2021

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
i will say its not country. ty for posting more mf doom songs

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

madlib should do another madvillain album entirely of remixes of mf doom tracks. he already did one.. but do another

e: why the gently caress do stones throw producers/rappers die so fast :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGils4IGL24

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 4, 2021

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
not comparable but if you need some more nerdy soundin hiphop, you got deltron at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrEdbKwivCI

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

i dont because lil ugly mane is still alive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMVo78N2a5U

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
LUM is so loving good. And the madlib remixes of madvillainy are as well. Amen and bless

E: I guess I’ll just add this https://youtu.be/3RbaWbjcN-k

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
America's most blunted definitely one of the best. The adult swim album was also wayyyyyy better than it had any right to be

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

if they had to take an adult swim rapper why wasnt it mc chris goddammit

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

sea of losers posted:

I was just about to say something kinda similar

But I was gonna be like how's aesop rock gonna outlive doom ffs

(And I like aesop rock. At least his first two records)

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

sea of losers posted:

e: why the gently caress do stones throw producers/rappers die so fast :(

:( drat too loving true.

RIP DOOM, definitely dimmed my NYE. Hopefully there's a treasure trove of unreleased stuff like Dilla or Nujabes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Simone Magus posted:

I was just about to say something kinda similar

But I was gonna be like how's aesop rock gonna outlive doom ffs

(And I like aesop rock. At least his first two records)

I liked his stuff up through Skelethon but it's kinda been diminishing returns starting there. Biggest issue seems to be that the beats are all wack as gently caress. Second biggest issue is that he's become even more of a weird hermit than usual.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm sorry but Impossible Kid is an incredible album from start to finish. His best complete work, thematically and linguistically.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I completely forgot about the Clutchy Hopkins thing:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLamt8H_NIFxhdF9IzcU6T15kBEfiiONbv

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Laterite posted:

I liked his stuff up through Skelethon but it's kinda been diminishing returns starting there. Biggest issue seems to be that the beats are all wack as gently caress. Second biggest issue is that he's become even more of a weird hermit than usual.

I never liked his self produced stuff (fast cars, danger fire and knives.)

He was great but blockhead was as much a part of aesop's music as aesop was, or maybe even more. Aesop's self made beats just don't have the soul his first couple albums did.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTCp0kJYF30

The smoothest loving song

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

I don't get why people think doom faked dying other than having had impostors perform for him in the past.

All he really did for the past few years was the occasional guest feature.

He played new characters when he felt like it so it wouldn't be out of place to take on a new persona without having to literally pretend to be someone else.

If he wanted to drop out of the public eye he could just take off the mask the whole gimmick was to know the mask not the face. :shrug:

Laterite posted:

Hail Mary Mallon and the Lice EPs are still hot tho (and he didn't produce lice)
(I still liked Impossible Kid)

Really, just Malibu Ken is whack and it's a shame since I like Tobacco and Aes

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

sea of losers posted:

I saw him at Warped Tour with my girlfriend at the time. She was a big fan so we waited in line for her to get an autograph. When we got to him he's talking to my girlfriend and I don't know what he says but she says "oh, no -- this is my boyfriend" gesturing to me. He says "THAT'S your boyfriend? Did your dad touch you or something?" in his stupid loving MC Chris voice. My girlfriend cried and ran away, she never told me what he said but he obviously tried to hook up with her and when she shut him down he reacted exactly how you'd expect a "Nerdcore" rapper to respond.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Helen Skelter posted:

I saw him at Warped Tour with my girlfriend at the time. She was a big fan so we waited in line for her to get an autograph. When we got to him he's talking to my girlfriend and I don't know what he says but she says "oh, no -- this is my boyfriend" gesturing to me. He says "THAT'S your boyfriend? Did your dad touch you or something?" in his stupid loving MC Chris voice. My girlfriend cried and ran away, she never told me what he said but he obviously tried to hook up with her and when she shut him down he reacted exactly how you'd expect a "Nerdcore" rapper to respond.

lol

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Helen Skelter posted:

Were you much older than her, or just a really grody jabroni?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Helen Skelter posted:

Lmao getting fuckin bodied by MC Chris

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

drat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

ArtIsResistance posted:

Same as Del, he was on a Gorillaz album

sea of losers posted:

probably has something to do with him and one of his collaborators (madlib) being played on adult swim for a bit. it worked for flying lotus
This explains a lot, thanks. I missed tons of pop culture from living overseas in the early 2000s before YouTube and social media. If I'd been in the US I'm sure I would have come across MF Doom earlier.

Poohs Packin posted:

There were many others who are of MF DOOM'S flavor of hip hop that have achieved critical and commercial success. EL-P comes to mind, Aesop Rock as well. I think much of their music grew out of rap needing something new outside of gangster bragadoccio and glossy bling aesthetics. Naturally subject matter around kung-fu and sci-fi appealed to a broader range of listeners. Plus there was a big push around music generally in the late 90s and early 2000s to discover indie artists. It became decidedly uncool to only listen to big label musicians.
It seems like you could make a pretty credible argument that kung-fu and sci-fi aesthetics were more acceptable to a broader (=whiter) audience, which resulted in mainstream commercial success.

Helen Skelter posted:

I don't know who MC Chris is or what nerdcore is really but this is extremely LOL anyway.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Tetramin posted:

Lmao getting fuckin bodied by MC Chris

It was so weird, it came outta nowhere! I'm just standing there, spacing out, and suddenly MC Chris (poet laureate and composer of "Boba Fett's 'Vette") is calling me ugly

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Were you much older than her, or just a really grody jabroni?

I was a teen with acne and a street fighter sweatshirt that I wore everyday for like a year.

So, yeah, grody jabroni

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 5, 2021

A Tad Ghostal
Dec 2, 2014

I have never once read about anyone having a positive interaction with MC Chris lol

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Helen Skelter posted:

wow I can't believe a rapper was disrespectful to women

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
All they care about are drugs guns bitches.... except aesop rock or sage Francis of course. When will these thugs learn

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Tetramin posted:

All they care about are drugs guns bitches.... except aesop rock or sage Francis of course. When will these thugs learn

what about Asher Roth

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

feelix posted:

what about Asher Roth

He likes college

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

what about Asher Roth

I Love My Postdoc Associate Fellowship

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

First Doom now Dre, gently caress

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1346638220906418178?s=19

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

wow I can't believe a rapper was disrespectful to women

and what music do you like that's so morally unassailable you fuckin poindexter

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

A couple of days late on the Aesop Rock chat but I would also like to chime in and say that both The Impossible Kid and Hail Mary Mallon are great. Also, he just released a new album but I haven't had much time to listen to it yet.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Weird Al is next I'm just sayin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

prayer group posted:

and what music do you like that's so morally unassailable you fuckin poindexter

You're defending a nerdcore rapper, you don't get to call other people poindexter as an insult.