Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

someone please watch and summarize this video i dont want to lose years off my lifespan with this awful take

matt has had this take for years and it's wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2hqTgfr_g0

Matt does this so often, and I just can't bear to watch 4:3 games stretched out to 16:9.

EDIT:

That's obviously supposed to be a circle.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pat is having another Pat Goblin moment that'll take up an hour because he can't handle that most people don't treat Dead Aim as an equal footing to Resident Evil 4.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Scrap Dragon posted:

You know it’s a bit right?

I don't think it's a bit or else pat and woolie wouldn't have gone after him for it

Also I've heard non-matt people repeat this take unironically as truth

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

A good poster posted:

Matt does this so often, and I just can't bear to watch 4:3 games stretched out to 16:9.

EDIT:

That's obviously supposed to be a circle.
Deception has an actual widescreen mode but it only affects the 3D graphics, not the menu or HUD elements or at least not all of them. Matt didn't turn it on because the 3D stuff is also clearly stretched, but it's there!

edit: He also keeps recording with incorrect RGB range settings because the videos look washed out, with all the black parts of the image appearing dark gray instead. I know from experience that stuff can be a pain in the rear end to figure out, but he's been doing videos for so many years that you'd think someone would've pointed this out.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 5, 2021

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Doc M posted:

edit: He also keeps recording with incorrect RGB range settings because the videos look washed out, with all the black parts of the image appearing dark gray instead. I know from experience that stuff can be a pain in the rear end to figure out, but he's been doing videos for so many years that you'd think someone would've pointed this out.
"Trying Hard at Hardly Trying" is a core Super Best Friends value that each of the boys carried with them in their own way.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grouchio posted:

I still prefice that Pat and Woolie are light-years better than Game Grumps regarding LP competence.

(Why the gently caress did I sit through most of the Sonic '06 Lets Play in 2013? :suicide:)

Well, yeah, but that's an extremely low bar to clear

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shinji2015 posted:

Well, yeah, but that's an extremely low bar to clear
Who did you follow on youtube in 2012? :rolleyes:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Little V singing over the Yakuza karaoke is really annoying. Also the gratuitous Japanese from both of them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Who did you follow on youtube in 2012? :rolleyes:

I feel like one could regard them as having low LP competence while still being entertaining. :v:

Though, on the subject, I've probably complained about this before, but boy I don't like "what works on youtube" because grumps have gone full in on the wacky thumbnails and descriptive titles that make me absolutely unclear on what they're doing at a glance.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like one could regard them as having low LP competence while still being entertaining. :v:

Yeah, it's this. Out of all the LP channels I watch, Arin's the one who consistently makes me say "what are you DOING" more than any other person, while Woolie and Pat are firmly in the "what are you SAYING" camp for me. They're still fun to watch, though, and I wouldn't have them any other way.

quote:

Though, on the subject, I've probably complained about this before, but boy I don't like "what works on youtube" because grumps have gone full in on the wacky thumbnails and descriptive titles that make me absolutely unclear on what they're doing at a glance.

Gotta chase that algorithm!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone know what scene in Yakuza Pat is talking about in this week's podcast, where they pull an Obito for some antagonist?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

SgtSteel91 posted:

Anyone know what scene in Yakuza Pat is talking about in this week's podcast, where they pull an Obito for some antagonist?

If it was about Yakzua 0, you see the antagonist from Yakuza 2 as a young huge kid in sotenbori as part of a sidestory.
edit: Basically 12 year old ryuji goda is as big as an adult already.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Both Pat and Woolie would be canceled by the same braindead standard by which they interpreted Bean Dad's dumb edgy tweets. I've never seen so many people on the internet at once unable or unwilling to recognize a bit, and that's rich as hell in this case

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

MagusDraco posted:

If it was about Yakzua 0, you see the antagonist from Yakuza 2 as a young huge kid in sotenbori as part of a sidestory.
edit: Basically 12 year old ryuji goda is as big as an adult already.

I think when they said "pulled an Obito" they meant "easily forgave a villain for doing horrible poo poo"

In which case, that's referring to (Spoilers for 0) Oda, who sold a bunch of girls into sex slavery and tried to kill one of them so her brother (his best friend/crush) wouldn't find out. But it's okay, she forgives him. And he had a sad backstory (accompanied by sad music!), so it's okay that he kept girls in literal cages!

During the LP, Pat broke when Kiryu, while beating the poo poo out of the final boss, yelled out "This is for Oda!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Oxyclean posted:

The Grumps were always bad, hth.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Deified Data posted:

Both Pat and Woolie would be canceled by the same braindead standard by which they interpreted Bean Dad's dumb edgy tweets. I've never seen so many people on the internet at once unable or unwilling to recognize a bit, and that's rich as hell in this case

I don't think Pat or Woolie have tweets ripe with antisemitism

this post sucks

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

this post sucks

Nah you could transcribe any of their jokes about racism that are obvious jokes and call them nazis if you just refuse to entertain the notion that they're not being serious when they say them. I think you'd have to turn your brain off to do this but you sure could lol

This becomes doubly easy if you just learned about them yesterday and have zero context about their comedic method

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 5, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh hot diggity dog, are we talking about cancel culture in here now?

Let me get in on that!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"dumb, edgy tweets" is pulling a poo poo load of weight off what are incredibly direct and blunt racist tweets, thanks SA goon

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

Deified Data posted:

Nah you could transcribe any of their jokes about racism that are obvious jokes and call them nazis if you just refuse to entertain the notion that they're not being serious when they say them. I think you'd have to turn your brain off to do this but you sure could lol

This becomes doubly easy if you just learned about them yesterday and have zero context about their comedic method

I am not familiar with the "bean dad" tweets in question, and as his Twitter account was deleted finding them seems like it would be difficult. Could you please give some specific examples of the kind of content he was being judged for, and explain why you think that judgment was unfair? Exact quotes or screenshots would be preferred if possible, so we could see exactly what was said.

If they're not so bad, then that should be immediately apparent, after all.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Roland Jones posted:

I am not familiar with the "bean dad" tweets in question, and as his Twitter account was deleted finding them seems like it would be difficult. Could you please give some specific examples of the kind of content he was being judged for, and explain why you think that judgment was unfair? Exact quotes or screenshots would be preferred if possible, so we could see exactly what was said.

If they're not so bad, then that should be immediately apparent, after all.

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1345844162072109057?s=20

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1345848624006258693?s=20

They're pretty bad. I think he might have explained those tweets with the Galaxy Brain take of:

quote:

As for the many racist, anti-Semitic, hurtful and slur-filled tweets from my early days on Twitter I can say only this: all of those tweets were intended to be ironic, sarcastic. I thought then that being an ally meant taking the slurs of the oppressors and flipping them to mock racism, sexism, homophobia, and bigotry.

which uhhhhhhhhhhh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's so weird because you could just go "those jokes from a decade ago sucked I'm a different person now" like many others have, because they have in fact demonstrably changed, but instead he took a tact that shows no he's not really a different person now he just doesn't say those things outloud

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Who said Woolie is a good Souls coach, he's encouraging Reggie to do all the same weird Think But Don't Do stuff that Woolie himself did in the LPs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The bean dad post where hes @ing Bailey Jay is at least funny in its own like as a concept.

@ing Natalie mars to talk about Dr. Yakubs evil plans.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
This is what Southpark does to the human brain.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Tupperwarez posted:

This is what Southpark does to the human brain.

dude is 52, he was way past formative years when south park showed up and ruined an entire generation

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Patware posted:

dude is 52, he was way past formative years when south park showed up and ruined an entire generation

And here I thought he wasn't a boomer but just an rear end in a top hat. Well that explains it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie should stop saying Mamoru, and attempting to psychoanalyse a country, imo

E: Oh boy and informed type moon takes we're hitting all the winners this week

W2: woolie stop running 20 minute segments on poo poo outside your lane you have the most half baked takes in the universe on challenge

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 6, 2021

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Blockhouse posted:

it's so weird because you could just go "those jokes from a decade ago sucked I'm a different person now" like many others have, because they have in fact demonstrably changed, but instead he took a tact that shows no he's not really a different person now he just doesn't say those things outloud

Nah that's exactly what he does though, people just clipped the rest of the paragraph because they want to keep being mad at the meme man

quote:

As for the many racist, anti-Semitic, hurtful and slur-filled tweets from my early days on Twitter I can say only this: all of those tweets were intended to be ironic, sarcastic. I thought then that being an ally meant taking the slurs of the oppressors and flipping them to mock racism, sexism, homophobia, and bigotry. I am humiliated by my incredibly insensitive use of the language of sexual assault in casual banter. It was a lazy and damaging ideology, that I continued to believe long past the point I should’ve known better that because I was a hipster intellectual from a diverse community it was ok for me to joke and deploy slurs in that context. It was not. I realized, sometime in the early part of the decade, helped by real-life friends and Twitter friends too, that my status as a straight white male didn’t permit me to “repurpose” those slurs as people from disenfranchised communities might do. They were injurious regardless of my intent, because the words themselves have power and because actual violence is often prefaced by people saying, “I’m not racist, but…”
http://www.johnroderick.com/an-apology

Like this isn't a hill I'm gonna die on and I fully agree that 99% of the victims of "cancel culture" have it coming, but sometimes the mob is just wrong and it's okay to admit that? I don't think it's wrong that people be given the chance to apologize for harm. It's healthy to give them that chance instead of choosing to interpret them in such a way that allows us to continue being mad.

In any case I only posted that here because it was brought up in the ep, otherwise I recognize this isn't the thread for litigating this poo poo.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
The new goat character for Them's Fightin' Herds has a Woolie color.

https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1346659839381020678

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm really looking forward to their podcast next week, I hope they might touch upon some events that occurred today.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm really looking forward to their podcast next week, I hope they might touch upon some events that occurred today.

Oh Pat was talking about it on steam tonight

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

What events? Can we be a little less vague? lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vandar posted:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Vandar posted:

Are you being sarcastic(which I hope you are), or did you live underneath the world's deepest rock today?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you being sarcastic(which I hope you are), or did you live underneath the world's deepest rock today?

No, it was an honest question. I assumed there was some kind of game controversy or something I missed. I am trying not to dwell on the events of DC at the moment and honestly politics are one of the last things I want to hear Pat and Woolie talking about. :shrug:

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

this post sucks

Hey, remember when Liam slipped a hard R n-word in, like, 2016 and there were minimal repercussions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Not everyone's from America and even if they are, they might have their own catastrophes to deal with re: California

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Who’s out there clamoring for gaming podcast takes on US politics? What are they gonna compare it to the Division 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

Who’s out there clamoring for gaming podcast takes on US politics? What are they gonna compare it to the Division 2?

There’s the whole twitch/pogchamp thing, I guess.