Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

IPA will release hotglue very effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The SKR Mini E3 is the way to go, gently caress the default creality boards.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The SKR Mini E3 is the way to go, gently caress the default creality boards.

This is what I upgraded to recently and so far so good. For anyone interested make sure to get the V2 and not the V1.2 as the latter seems to have some issue with hotend temperature fluctuations.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'll stan for the ender 5 pro as a starter+ hobby printer with the essential QoL upgrades preinstalled.

There is, of course, a decent list of things that are pretty bad out of the box, and no real resource for stepping someone through it (i found, then lost, one excellent reddit post that probably saved me dozens of hours just by giving me the "here's where to look" short-list).

On the other hand, these kinds of failures have forced me to syetrmatically learn and understand the machine way more than one that just worked out of the box, which is cool, and hasn't really taken more than 5-6 hours and a single spool of filament.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rexxed posted:

There's official creality enclosures that seem to be decent, but you could also make your own or repurpose a grow tent.
https://smile.amazon.com/Comgrow-Creality-3D-Printer-Enclosure/dp/B08BHM9RZF?sa-no-redirect=1

Those soft photo box things are another cheap option that work well, and you can get one that'll be comfortably large enough for under twenty bucks.

I use a half-assed version of the Ikea Lack enclosure that a lot of people seem to like. I just bolted the Lack down to my workstation table and used flexible greenhouse plastic around it. Works pretty well for my purposes since my printer is in a conditioned room, it's just a part of the house where I keep the thermostat turned down since we're not usually down there. The greenhouse plastic insulates well enough to keep the print area warm and protected from drafts, but not so well that I'm worried about frying anything electronic. I don't think the enclosure even cost me $15 in total to build.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Well I was just able to install the SKR Mini E3 v2 in my Ender 3 Pro with EZABL and a filament sensor in about an hour flat. TH3DStudio has a really great walkthrough for compiling their unified firmware and that worked first try. Thing is freaky silent now, very cool!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I had to completely disassemble and reassemble my printer but I did it. I fixed my leaning prints. The whole bed assembly had tilted downward towards the front by like 1 degree.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I suspect not just because of the nature of the beast, but is there a filament that flexes rather than shatters when put under stress? I don't mean something rubbery like TPU, I mean more like the stuff squeeze bottles are made of. UV resistance and non-ridiculous printing conditions would be an advantage.

The particular use case is the hinges for my shed I've posted about before. I've made them in ASA and they work well enough, but if I absent-mindedly put downward load on the door (or the frame of the door flexes too much) it shatters. I'm going to try adding a bit of meat to the areas that break but obviously as it's a moving part I can't add too much, and bump it up to like 85% infill, but the original part is made of a much more flexible plastic (almost certainly because of this problem) so if possible I'd like to go that way - I think it'd also be useful for a few other ideas I have.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TPU comes in many hardnesses, try one rated 98A

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I suspect not just because of the nature of the beast, but is there a filament that flexes rather than shatters when put under stress? I don't mean something rubbery like TPU, I mean more like the stuff squeeze bottles are made of. UV resistance and non-ridiculous printing conditions would be an advantage.

PETG, ABS. They're much tougher. You can also try Nylon. Also, more infill isn't more stronger. Walls/perimeters, tops and bottoms get you strength.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

TPU comes in many hardnesses, try one rated 98A

Would that also mean I'd be okay with my current extruder/feed rather than having to go direct-drive? I can see some cheap small spools on Amazon so it's probably worth experimenting with.

Nerobro posted:

PETG, ABS. They're much tougher. You can also try Nylon. Also, more infill isn't more stronger. Walls/perimeters, tops and bottoms get you strength.

I was under the impression that ASA was almost as tough as ABS at least, but easier to print and UV-resistant?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Would that also mean I'd be okay with my current extruder/feed rather than having to go direct-drive? I can see some cheap small spools on Amazon so it's probably worth experimenting with.

I was under the impression that ASA was almost as tough as ABS at least, but easier to print and UV-resistant?

Traditional logic about TPU is that it's a bad idea to run with a Bowden setup, but none of my bowden-fed printers have had any trouble with it? Might have to do with better components and tuned slicer profiles though (also the extruder body itself being the dual drive gear type with a well constrained filament path).

ASA is amazing stuff. It's not as easy to print as PLA (you still want an enclosure just to keep random air drafts from making it warp) but it's not as warp-prone as ABS, either. The UV-resistance is also a huge plus if you're wanting to print stuff to put in your car or whatever.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Traditional logic about TPU is that it's a bad idea to run with a Bowden setup, but none of my bowden-fed printers have had any trouble with it?

Same here.. Rostock Max delta with a super long bowden tube. TPU works just fine, just can't use retraction or go faster than 15-20mm/sec.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

How much of a thing is a dry storage box for filament while in storage/in use? Calgary Alberta, so generally dry, snowy winters

insta
Jan 28, 2009
anecdotal: I keep PLA, TPU, ABS, PETG just sitting on a shelf. I keep nylons in eSUN boxes at 80C constantly. I have to bake anything better than them before use. I occasionally have to bake the nylons too.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I bought a 5015 fan for my Ender 3 but the cable is much too short. Can I just splice it onto the longer cable from the stock fan and re-sleeve it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

How much of a thing is a dry storage box for filament while in storage/in use? Calgary Alberta, so generally dry, snowy winters

I just keep mine in one of those vacuum storage bags - the ones you're supposed to use for clothes, blankets etc - with a handful of silica gel packets thrown in, although I think the more exotic stuff needs rather more careful handling.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Mikey Purp posted:

I bought a 5015 fan for my Ender 3 but the cable is much too short. Can I just splice it onto the longer cable from the stock fan and re-sleeve it?

Yup. I've got a shoddy system of badly soldered wires and pins connecting mine together and it works great.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Adding my 2 cents... I pretty much only use PLA with some PETG here and there. All 63 rolls of my filament are stacked on a shelf in a dark, cool, closet. No attempt has ever been made to dry any of them. I have some rolls of PLA that are 6 years old and print just as well now as they day they were opened. Yet my oldest roll of PETG (~1 year) pops and cracks.

Southern Indiana, so cold dry winters, with very humid and hot summers. (though I usually keep AC on during most of the summer, so the air in the house stays fairly dry.)

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I'm having a problem with a CR10 that I hope the thread can ah-ha me with.

I have two identical CR10's, both running BTT SKR e3 mini 1.2's, with Marlin 2.0.7.2. They are using the TriangleLab DDE extruders. I'm running the same GCode between both of them.

Lefty prints fine. Righty overextrudes by like 60%, only when printing. estep calibration on it is 39.5/40mm. Volumetric extrusion on both printers is explicitly disabled in the menus. What could cause that?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

w00tmonger posted:

I just use a bunch of large freezer zip-lock bags and silica gel packets and throw anything I am not currently using in one of those. It's super cheap. If it's still sealed, it's fine. I keep my bagged filament together in an airtight plastic bin, mostly for convenience so it's not falling all over.

I did get some special bags with a moisture detecting strip and they all have been sub 10% humidity, so I don't really think the extra cost was worth it. Maybe if I was in a sub-tropical climate.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I just keep a trash bag with a small hole in the top cinched around a cheap dehydrator. All my partial rolls are stacked inside, and I flip it on an hour before I plan to print something.

Works great.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

insta posted:

I'm having a problem with a CR10 that I hope the thread can ah-ha me with.

I have two identical CR10's, both running BTT SKR e3 mini 1.2's, with Marlin 2.0.7.2. They are using the TriangleLab DDE extruders. I'm running the same GCode between both of them.

Lefty prints fine. Righty overextrudes by like 60%, only when printing. estep calibration on it is 39.5/40mm. Volumetric extrusion on both printers is explicitly disabled in the menus. What could cause that?

Is your slicer outputting estep overrides in the starting g-code?

I know PrusaSlicer has an option to output all acceleration/jerk/estep/etc. settings in the actual code, but I don't know if other slicers have the same option.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

I just keep a trash bag with a small hole in the top cinched around a cheap dehydrator. All my partial rolls are stacked inside, and I flip it on an hour before I plan to print something.

Works great.

This is very clever!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
60% is a hell of a lot. Maybe check the slicer and see if there's an error in the settings for the filament? That wouldn't work if you are using the same gcode across both printers, but damned if I can think of a reason for such a huge amount of over extrusion.

I realized today that I have an apparently very old version of octoprint that I can't upgrade from. Are the newer versions worth the trouble of setting everything back up? I tend to use the server just for printing and don't have any real plug ins other than the webcam one. If there's some speed up for the printing or some sort of interesting stuff going on though, I'll go through the trouble to set it all back up.

Mainly I am just lazy (hence me not wanting to walk around and pop a SD card into the machine), but I don't wanna miss out on something nifty.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is your slicer outputting estep overrides in the starting g-code?

I know PrusaSlicer has an option to output all acceleration/jerk/estep/etc. settings in the actual code, but I don't know if other slicers have the same option.

It's not, but I'd also expect that to effect both printers. It's literally the same GCode. It's driving me freaking bonkers.

I'm willing to say the board is broken, but that's such a strange way for it to be broken!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

60% is a hell of a lot. Maybe check the slicer and see if there's an error in the settings for the filament? That wouldn't work if you are using the same gcode across both printers, but damned if I can think of a reason for such a huge amount of over extrusion.

I realized today that I have an apparently very old version of octoprint that I can't upgrade from. Are the newer versions worth the trouble of setting everything back up? I tend to use the server just for printing and don't have any real plug ins other than the webcam one. If there's some speed up for the printing or some sort of interesting stuff going on though, I'll go through the trouble to set it all back up.

Mainly I am just lazy (hence me not wanting to walk around and pop a SD card into the machine), but I don't wanna miss out on something nifty.

I haven't used Octoprint at all in a long time (mostly because the printers I regularly use are in the same room I slice files on, in enclosures), but I think some of the statistics-related things have been improved and there are some nifty webcam related plugins like "Spaghetti Detector" or whatever it's called, and other things, worth looking into.

I think there's even a plugin that will let you know when the firmware for some printers has been updated and attempt to flash them for you?

Like I said, it's been a while.

insta posted:

It's not, but I'd also expect that to effect both printers. It's literally the same GCode. It's driving me freaking bonkers.

I'm willing to say the board is broken, but that's such a strange way for it to be broken!

Are you Absolutely Sure you don't have a nozzle on the one machine with a smaller opening on it than the other?

Other than something simple like that, the only other thing I can think of is one board having an odd microstepping setting that's different from the other that's somehow loving up the extruder, but the fact that it only happens while printing leads me to believe one board has a firmware setting that's different from the other and it's interpreting the extrusion length wrong.

Like one is set for mm/s and the other is set for mm/m or something.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The machines are both printing an 800 part order. One died when static from the flexible PEI sheet killed the extruder stepper. I replaced the board, reflashed the firmware, verified it's got my boot logo, and hit go after doing PID tuning. I didn't even change the hotend setup (both are running 0.6 nozzles). The extruder drive gear rips when doing extrusion moves. I would have sworn it was volumetric based on that behavior.

I've also checked the TMC drivers, both are Spread for the extruder, steps/mm are equal, volumetric is disabled on both, accel and max speed matches.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For a while in the lab we had two apparently identical printers but one of them was purchased a few months later and, in an undocumented change, had a 20 tooth pulley on one of the axes instead of a 16 tooth. This was a ton of fun to track down when we started upgrading the firmware assuming the same configuration should work on both machines since they were purportedly identical. NOT

Is it possible that one of your machines has a different diameter of extruder drive gear or something?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm trying to figure out how much static has to be generated to kill a stepper motor and not liking the answer vs. the grounding that should be happening long before that happens.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It sounds like he means the stepper driver got burned out by static, not the motor itself. That's totally plausible. I had a hell of a time one summer trying to track down a bug that turned out to be caused by static electricity building up in the machine, discharging into the frame, and resetting the stepper driver to its factory specs. Still not sure whether the static was coming from the belt (most likely) or the polycarbonate wheels, but after a whole lot of painstaking verification with an oscilloscope and installation of a grounding wire that fixed it completely, that's definitely what it was. There weren't any audible snaps or visible sparks anywhere; I needed the scope to spot it at all. Microelectronics are sensitive things.

It was very rewarding to fix that bug but holy god drat this kind of poo poo is why I just tell people to buy Prusas these days. My printers are tools I use to work on projects, not projects unto themselves. There are few things quite as frustrating as pulling out a tool, finding it broken, and having to repair it before you can use it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 6, 2021

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

For a while in the lab we had two apparently identical printers but one of them was purchased a few months later and, in an undocumented change, had a 20 tooth pulley on one of the axes instead of a 16 tooth. This was a ton of fun to track down when we started upgrading the firmware assuming the same configuration should work on both machines since they were purportedly identical. NOT

Is it possible that one of your machines has a different diameter of extruder drive gear or something?

They were identical hardware before, and outside of the electronics board, identical after. I just opened the controller box, undid 4 screws, new board, plugged the connectors all back in, installation was the reverse of removal, flashed firmware, PID tuned. Remember, I also checked esteps with a sharpie and calipers. It's almost as though at speed, it switches down from 1/16 steps to 1/8 steps but ... surely that's not a thing? And why now?

Also, the XY movement is spot on.

I have a bunch of v2 SKR boards incoming. I would run Archim or RAMBo boards but they're not drop-in replacements so I'd have to do something for the enclosure and :effort:

As far as the loving Prusa drum, I can't fit these parts on a Prusa, so ... yeah.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I think the Prusa reference was just down to everything being grounded properly on the machine so as to prevent that kind of problem?

If it can't be traced to a specific stepper motor problem or firmware/slicer setting then yeah, it has to be some kind of flaw in the controlling electronics. Even if the two boards are supposed to be the same and seem to function properly, a flaw in the controller can cause bizarre errors.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

It was very rewarding to fix that bug but holy god drat this kind of poo poo is why I just tell people to buy Prusas these days. My printers are tools I use to work on projects, not projects unto themselves. There are few things quite as frustrating as pulling out a tool, finding it broken, and having to repair it before you can use it.

You keep banging that drum, eh?.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It actually is possible for the drivers to switch microstepping mode in the middle of a print. As noted, I had a problem with a TMC driver just zeroing itself out semi-predictably because of static electricity. It's possible that you have some situation that is causing one of the drivers to partially reset somehow.

Take one of the gcode files that has the error, skip down to a section with infill, and delete everything after that point so that the printer gets to the point of demonstrating the error and then just stops dead. Run the print until it stops and then use the TMC readout M-codes (I don't remember which is which but you can Google them) to have the printer report its driver settings. Do this on both printers and see if there's any difference in the E driver configurations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You keep banging that drum, eh?.

One hundred loving percent. I get that some people in this thread treat their printers like a project car that they're happy to repair five days a week to drive on the weekend. I'm done with that. My printers are tools and having busted tools loving sucks.

I just keep saying it because I think at least some of the newbies popping into this thread also just want a tool that works with no hacking or fiddling, and as far as I can tell I'm one of the only posters who thinks that that's a totally reasonable choice. You shouldn't have to immediately buy new springs and extruder arms and Teflon tubes just to have the tool work reliably. Even with those upgrades, the flexible steel bed and automatic leveling on a Prusa are just such incredibly good quality of life features that recommending a printer with glass and springs these days honestly to me is kind of like buying a computer without an SSD. Just a really bad cost benefit trade-off.

It's just two different attitudes. Some people say "ugh, now I have to gently caress around with the machine." Other people say "no, you don't have to, you get to!"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 6, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Last guy, was a guy asking to print enclosures for electronics projects. He asked for opinions a $300 printer. So obviously has some experience with electronics, etc. Yet, you instantly go "No, you need to spend another $500 and get a Prusa!".

How about trying a little perspective, instead of trying to justify your own purchases.

Also, this is what Tom Sanladerer thinks of the Ender 3 v2 vs the prusa (mini)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jkrblU9lMI&t=650s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It really doesn't help your case when you keep upgrading the cost with every post. A Prusa Mini is $350, not $800. Fucks' sake.

Being good at electronics is completely orthogonal to wanting to hack around with your tools. Again I don't see what is so hard about this concept. If this thread were about power drills and everyone was into one specific harbor freight model that works pretty well most of the time but really benefits from upgrading half a dozen small parts and sometimes is broken right out of the box, nobody would be getting offended at saying "hey, if you just want a tool that works, get a Makita."

Or maybe they would, I don't loving know, some people are just allergic to the concept of paying for quality

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 6, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Whatever dude. Just dial down the hyperbole, ok and actually listen to people, rather than just shouting out your own little religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

ASA is the UV resistant alternative to PLA. Not ABS.

As noted by others, TPU works through a bowden setup. I've done it on my MPMD.