Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jonny 290 posted:

i started reading consider phlebas last night. quite all right

iirc this is the one just before Banks had quite figured out the Culture universe and it was a bit "here's loads of stuff, let's see what sticks" so it's a bit of a slog to get through

so if your read it and think "well that wasn't as good as I thought it was supposed to be" it's worth giving the others a shot.

best M Banks is probably Inversions though.

Edit: or maybe The Transition

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
imo: against a dark background, inversions, matter, player of games, surface detail, and the algebraist, probably in that order. i also really like feersum endjinn but that’s to a peculiar taste

the algebraist has some great bits but also gets really cringey

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rjmccall posted:

imo: against a dark background, inversions, matter, player of games, surface detail, and the algebraist, probably in that order. i also really like feersum endjinn but that’s to a peculiar taste

My favourite thing about banks is that he really engages with the idea that other beings could be radically different in all sorts of ways from us, not just humans with green skin and extra wrinkles. Not all the time, but much more than other writers. Solaris is a great book for the same reason

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

indigi posted:

Guards! Guards! is a fine starting place imo

fart simpson posted:

start with eric

guards! is a good start but I’d go with Mort. eric’s not a bad choice but rincewind is a little too established by that point

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rjmccall posted:

anything banks but the state of the art

I’m still angry about how bad that was

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

rjmccall posted:

against a dark background is a bit long imho but that said I have read it at least twice. Also I think the name Sharrow is great and would have tried to name mini-two hander that if I was not ideologically opposed to giving children made up names that curse them to having to spell it out for their life.

pointsofdata posted:

My favourite thing about banks is that he really engages with the idea that other beings could be radically different in all sorts of ways from us, not just humans with green skin and extra wrinkles. Not all the time, but much more than other writers. Solaris is a great book for the same reason

Neal Asher is probably one of the best for this, some of the creatures he writes about are wildly "out there"

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 6, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
banks chat banks chat

I hold that all the Culture books are really good, with Consider Phlebas and Excession being the most difficult (but the former was good to read as an audiobook). My favorites are Look to Windward and the Hydrogen Sonata. Look to Windward is an excellent slice of life story that tells a lot about aliens living in the Culture. The Hydrogen Sonata ties up a lot of loose ideas and is an excellent send-off to the series.

The Player of Games is where I'd start. It might be boring at first, it does start out pretty slow, but it provides a pretty good contrast between how the Culture runs and how space imperialism works (or doesn't). It also has the Best Space Move so you gotta.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This is up to watch now, busy with gently caress rn

edit: hm a lady just said gently caress was the worst cussword, I think not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

i’ve never read one which one should I start with? i’m
not too fazed about correct order unless it really matters

chronological order doesn't overly matter, but there are a bunch of overarching story lines through different books. idk, there's a huge chart out there designed to answer exactly this question

otoh, i just read them in publication order because why not? who cares, just read a book

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
release order is always correct for everything

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

haveblue posted:

reading narnia to my son and I discovered that all the new publishing runs have magicians nephew as the first book

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

Re: Pratchett - True but I would not suggest Color of Magic / The Light Fantastic to someone who didn't grow up reading 'classic' fantasy, they are very much more comedy pastiche than his later books.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh yeah, sourcery is a good place to start if one likes wizards but want to skip the awkward first ones. absolutely nothing is lost doing so either, one can come back to the first two down the line if one wants.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

reading narnia to my son and I discovered that all the new publishing runs have magicians nephew as the first book
lol what the hell?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Re: Pratchett - True but I would not suggest Color of Magic / The Light Fantastic to someone who didn't grow up reading 'classic' fantasy, they are very much more comedy pastiche than his later books.

start them with Strata to really gently caress them up

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

if you did, there’s more than a few “oh gently caress you, lol” in there for you

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

The Fool posted:

only a few decades until the dune series starts with brian/kevin's books

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

iirc this is the one just before Banks had quite figured out the Culture universe and it was a bit "here's loads of stuff, let's see what sticks" so it's a bit of a slog to get through

so if your read it and think "well that wasn't as good as I thought it was supposed to be" it's worth giving the others a shot.

yep, i went 3 2 1 in culture books initially and 1 is certainly the weakest more because imo he figures out the culture is the interesting element in 2 and 3. 1 is decent scifi vignettes and feels a bit like a loose set of short stories, and the reader sort of discovers the culture alongside banks

The Fool posted:

thats story-wise chronological ordering, right? I think that's how I read them when I was younger, but I read through the series a few times so it's fuzzy now

sort of wonky with the established elements being tossed in with no context in that order, I suppose. it also removes some of the mystery from the other books

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i kinda want to rewatch the bbc narnia series now :3:

oh, lol, netflix has the rights to a new adaptation, so get ready to see the first two books adapted again

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

thats story-wise chronological ordering, right? I think that's how I read them when I was younger, but I read through the series a few times so it's fuzzy now

sort of wonky with the established elements being tossed in with no context in that order, I suppose. it also removes some of the mystery from the other books

yeah, it’s in story order but nephew is a lovely intro to the series

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agile Vector posted:

i kinda want to rewatch the bbc narnia series now :3:

oh, lol, netflix has the rights to a new adaptation, so get ready to see the first two books adapted again

[whispering to date while watching narnia when aslan first appears on the screen] that's narnia

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I didnt think the Banks stuff was good. Like he's a good writer I guess and yeah his nonhuman characters are interesting but his characters do just the absolute dumbest poo poo just to move the plot forward. My pet peeve in fiction is presumably intelligent characters who make insane decisions just to advance the plot. Like that one Radch novel where the main character just suddenly decides to risk her life for her enemy out of the blue. And that whole cannibalism thing in player of games. Everything just seems like such an artificial set piece.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
:colbert:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

rotor posted:

Like that one Radch novel where the main character just suddenly decides to risk her life for her enemy out of the blue.

she was an AI who had safeguards built into her so anyone with correct access (the emperor and possibly some others) could control her at any time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

Like he's a good writer I guess and yeah his nonhuman characters are interesting but his characters do just the absolute dumbest poo poo just to move the plot forward. My pet peeve in fiction is presumably intelligent characters who make insane decisions just to advance the plot.

Alastair Reynolds also does this, and it generally results in everything getting worse for everyone. in that sense i suppose it's actually very realistic

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

what’s the cannibalism part in player of games I don’t remember

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

what’s the cannibalism part in player of games I don’t remember

whoa i dont remember that either

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rotor posted:

I didnt think the Banks stuff was good. Like he's a good writer I guess and yeah his nonhuman characters are interesting but his characters do just the absolute dumbest poo poo just to move the plot forward. My pet peeve in fiction is presumably intelligent characters who make insane decisions just to advance the plot. Like that one Radch novel where the main character just suddenly decides to risk her life for her enemy out of the blue. And that whole cannibalism thing in player of games. Everything just seems like such an artificial set piece.

the cannibalism vignette is in consider phelbas and i loving hate it. there’s a mention in player but only as a qanon depravity by the ruling class

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I don’t remember cannibalism in phlebas either but I only read it once

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

like ok that orbital is not-actually-culture on a technicality but the kind of non consenting thing a solar system proximate atoms-on-a-playing-card mind would be cool with

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

after the megaliner heist and the nuke he crashes and washes up on an cannibal island

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PCjr sidecar posted:

the cannibalism vignette is in consider phelbas and i loving hate it. there’s a mention in player but only as a qanon depravity by the ruling class

yeah, it was lurid and felt like a very 80s scifi edgy choice

reading in a reverse order made it more palatable to a degree because it was clear it wasnt a common weird fetishistic choice of the author

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Silver Alicorn posted:

it's one of the vignettes in the middle, an insane cult on the orbital that's scheduled to be exploded

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i only remember it because it goes on and on and doesnt he also regen a finger later or something and the whole thing is useless to the plot too?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

PCjr sidecar posted:

after the megaliner heist and the nuke he crashes and washes up on an cannibal island

oh that. I thought they just ate seashells and fish guts and other indigestible stuff

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

fart simpson posted:

start with eric

I wouldn't recommend Eric as a starting point. (I don't know if this was a joke suggestion, I know a lot of people think Eric is one of the less good Discworld books.) The thing to remember about it is that it was primarily, originally, a Josh Kirby art showcase. I personally love Josh Kirby's art (RIP) so I enjoy the book a lot, but if you're not careful you'll get one of the slimmed down paperback editions with only about a hundred pages of words, and none of the artwork, and as a written work it's a bit... hasty? Thin? Kind of leaps from one setting to another with only a token framing device wrapped around it... plus you're not invested in Rincewind at all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

oh that. I thought they just ate seashells and fish guts and other indigestible stuff

there was a bit where they ate an acolyte as an appetizer also they ate the vomit and poo poo after they ate the fish guts

just gross and unnecessary

(also signing my posts)