Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

luchajones posted:

Just redo Schindler's List but with some Empire guy helping out the Jedi.

and Vader was there.

Vader's List, who cares if him secretly doing good all along undercuts his arc in the OT? We need more Vader in this Vader movie!

Maybe they could release new special editions where they change some of his dialog to make it clear that he was a secret spy all along. Like in the part where he interrogates Leia he could whisper, "Make sure you guys check all the exhaust ports on those plans."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

what if they made a star war movie...

...but good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eastbound Spider posted:

what if they made a star war movie...

...but good

they made one but it was about 40 years ago

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

sounds like they should stop then

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Eastbound Spider posted:

sounds like they should stop then

How about a TV show about...Ewoks instead?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

HOW ABOUT A TV SHOW ABOUT YOUR MOM

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

Eastbound Spider posted:

They already had Emmanuelle in Space

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Eastbound Spider posted:

She already got casted as Jebba the Hutette (?). :colbert:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

sorry for having a heated poster moment in the rlm thread im sure you all have very nice moms

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

luchajones posted:

they should do a retrospective on all of Mickey Rourke's gently caress movies

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Endless Trash posted:

Tried desperately to like it but it’s just.so.boring

Endless Trash posted:

I had the exact opposite experience. It starts strong and the conceit of it all really had me overlooking its flaws, but eventually the honeymoon is over and I’m asleep.

thats pretty much how i felt about it but...

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Season 1 takes forever to get going. 2 and 3 are much better.

you and I tend to have similar tastes on stuff ive noticed itt so i guess ill at least check out the season 2 opener.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

does it ever converge with dick’s book or does it keep focusing on the japanese/german intrigue that barely exists in the book

There’s one scene between Juliana and what’s-his-face that is adapted from the book. I think that’s it.

Edit: actually there’s a plot line with counterfeit jewelry/art as well

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

luchajones posted:

:nice:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

You know how a lot of comedies that go on for too long, forget that they are a comedy show and spend way too much time trying to do serious plots in a very silly setting? Disenchantment starts out that way.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Giga Gaia posted:

you and I tend to have similar tastes on stuff ive noticed itt so i guess ill at least check out the season 2 opener.

It's sorta like Thrones where it's a political drama and slowly the fantasy starts creeping in, only instead of fantasy it's sci-fi.

By season 3 it's an outright sci-fi show.

That said, I never watched season 4 because I just kinda gave up.

For such a huge premise the world feels incredibly small. Like the same 3 characters just happen to be central and present for every major global event.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You know how a lot of comedies that go on for too long,

Speaking of this, the worst thing is when kids go to college. It ruins almost every show. The Middle...etc

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

Speaking of Netflix originals, they're finally releasing part 3 (out of 4) of Disenchantment. January 15th. Hopefully the very long break gave them some time to work out the show's kinks. The trailer looks...better than the show was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwuxsXfwl2I

I think the lesson here is that Matt Groening is good at contract negotiations, getting them a deal where all 4 parts were paid for and Netflix couldn't back out.

Couple of gags got a chuckle out of me, but it looks like they're leaning even more into the metaplot. Who could care?

I think Groening would have been given this many seasons without a contract locking it in at the beginning. I know Futurama was big for Netflix when they had it. If you were Netflix, you'd want to give him as much leeway as you could just because you want to be in the Matt Groening business and get first crack at any future projects.

I dunno if that'll extend beyond Season 4 though. This show's a bit of a turd and it can't be doing well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The new expanse episode rules, show is killing it this season. Alex/Bobbie just being loving bad asses is something I will always want more of. Also Drummer gonna gently caress poo poo up

And Amos’ realization at the end that he’s a loving monster when not on a leash was really great.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Galewolf posted:

She already got casted as Jebba the Hutette (?). :colbert:

It's jabbette the Hutt actually

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno if that'll extend beyond Season 4 though. This show's a bit of a turd and it can't be doing well.

Oh yeah, Season 4 (Part 4?) will definitely be the end, unless there is some absolutely insane jump in quality that causes a huge viral push before the end of Part 3. (Basically, if you don't see people sharing Elfo memes by April, the show is done.)

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The thing about Disenchantment is that it is actually just two seasons divided in half. That part 2 was just the second half of the first season, so it was produced at the same time as Part 1. So Part 3 is where we are going to see if they actually made adjustments to fix the show, or it will just keep being poo poo. I have my money on poo poo, but you never know.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1346851125992034306?s=21

This was still on?!?!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

The thing about Disenchantment is that it is actually just two seasons divided in half. That part 2 was just the second half of the first season, so it was produced at the same time as Part 1. So Part 3 is where we are going to see if they actually made adjustments to fix the show, or it will just keep being poo poo. I have my money on poo poo, but you never know.

The first joke in that trailer is about the elf wanting to gently caress the princess so I'm gonna guess they have not addressed the glaring problems.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

priznat posted:

The new expanse episode rules, show is killing it this season. Alex/Bobbie just being loving bad asses is something I will always want more of. Also Drummer gonna gently caress poo poo up

And Amos’ realization at the end that he’s a loving monster when not on a leash was really great.

This season was worth it just to have a scene where Amos hits on Avasarala.

But yeah they’re killing it, last season dragged a bit. but the show is firing on all cylinders again.

I’m still amazed that we’re talking about a big high concept science fiction show in its 5th season that hasn’t totally poo poo the bed and become a parody of itself.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 6, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Didn't his show had some flak for allegedly turning kids into psychotic monsters?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Galewolf posted:

Didn't his show had some flak for allegedly turning kids into psychotic monsters?

Yes, the article in fact mentions this, hence the title.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yes, the article in fact mentions this, hence the title.

The example they gave is him pinching his baby sister's cheek to make her cry, the sort of mindlessly cruel poo poo real kids do. The clip ends with his mom turning around presumably to correct him and start a lesson about not being a dick to babies. Half the episodes of any given kid show are "kid does something bad, others teach him why he shouldn't do that, kid learns his lesson and, at the end of the ep, doesn't do the thing."

Caillou still sucked, but it wasn't some sinister Canadian plan to make our kids into monsters.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

what was with caillou anyway? parents hated it? even when I was a kid I remember I couldn't stand it when it came on.

why was it on for so long if everyone hated it? who was it for?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gonna guess that Calliou show had this problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNCRcozGZNU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's sorta like Thrones where it's a political drama and slowly the fantasy starts creeping in, only instead of fantasy it's sci-fi.

By season 3 it's an outright sci-fi show.

That said, I never watched season 4 because I just kinda gave up.

For such a huge premise the world feels incredibly small. Like the same 3 characters just happen to be central and present for every major global event.

blah... i think ill still give it a shot up until stephen root shows up because i love me some root

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Many people say that home movies is an all time classic. And they're right to say so

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

colonelwest posted:

But yeah they’re killing it, last season dragged a bit. but the show is firing on all cylinders again.

I’m still amazed that we’re talking about a big high concept science fiction show in its 5th season that hasn’t totally poo poo the bed and become a parody of itself.

The TV show is also ending before the point in the books where it goes weird. Persepolis Rising has a 30 year time skip and you've got a transhuman galactic empire of former belters and colonists with giant alien spaceships running rampant over the Solar System and it feels like almost a different series altogether.
It certainly doesn't poo poo the bed but the later books don't have the same draw as the first ones.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Calliou, you shouldn't steal mommy's lighter and make an awesome trash can fire."

*Producer claps hands off proudly*

I think we really did some good in the world today.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/terry-gilliam-bruce-willis-12-monkeys-b1783100.html

Basticle fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 6, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

colonelwest posted:

Yeah 4th season was almost like a bottle season, with Illus being somewhat of a dull thud. But it did have cool stuff like the giant inscrutable sci fi objects which is like catnip for me.

Amos hitting on Avasarala ruled :haw:

Drummer, Amos and Bobbie are my fav characters and I’m glad they are getting their mostly own storylines as well. (Alex is an amiable goof who gets to be Robin to Bobbie’s Batman)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think 3 times now I've tried to watch The Expanse. Never made it past Episode 3.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I think 3 times now I've tried to watch The Expanse. Never made it past Episode 3.

That’s like me with the books. I have tried to get through the first one and I just can’t. I usually love sci fi especially “hard” sci fi but I don’t know why, the book is just not for me.

Loved the show from the start though!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

That’s like me with the books. I have tried to get through the first one and I just can’t. I usually love sci fi especially “hard” sci fi but I don’t know why, the book is just not for me.

Loved the show from the start though!

I liked the first audiobook and bought the 2nd and 3rd and then only got through like a tenth of the second one.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I only read the first book and never watched the show, but they really needed to just not have space zombies. I guess I understand why they felt they had to have them but they're too boring to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No Mods No Masters posted:

I only read the first book and never watched the show, but they really needed to just not have space zombies. I guess I understand why they felt they had to have them but they're too boring to deal with

They cut the space zombies from the show because it's not the 2000's anymore.