Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Sarcastro posted:

My post following yours was coincidental - I was speaking to the "WTF why Garland?" posters above and likely continuing, as I had on the previous page or so.

Oh my bad! Sorry!

Pakled posted:

I should note that Doug Jones also famously has experience prosecuting right-wing domestic terrorists, he was the state prosecutor for the trial of one of the 16th street baptist church bombers.

Willing to bet that if Jones didn't get AG, he's getting lined up for a bench somewhere.

EDIT: Terrible snipe, enjoy a pocket pittie.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They better replace Garland with a 30 year old.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Handsome Ralph posted:

One thing to note about Merrick Garland being tapped for AG. When he was at DOJ in the 90s, he supervised the Oklahoma Bombing Trials, Ted Kaczynski's trial, and Eric Rudolph's trial for the Atlanta Olympic Park bombing. Not a guarantee but it bodes well that Biden/the DoJ are going to really start to focus on right wing violence and such.

Yeah I'm not enthusiastic about him particularly, but on further thought, god drat he is precisely who you would pick if you wanted to send a message that the doj is out for blood wrt right wing terrorism. I also suspect it's intended to put a lid on the gop's seditious poo poo, you can hardly find someone less likely to give the benefit of the doubt to a bunch of cutesy sedition-chicken games.

I do really hope Jones gets something good, though.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Willing to bet that if Jones didn't get AG, he's getting lined up for a bench somewhere.

yeah this is my feeling as well

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 6, 2021

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Monaco was heavily involved in trying to close Guantanamo Bay and got pretty close to doing it before Obama Hillary lost.

edit: names are hard

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn Trump is such a loving baby. He's calling for Kemp to be "voted the hell out"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phoix posted:

Monaco was heavily involved in trying to close Guantanamo Bay and got pretty close to doing it before Obama Hillary lost.

edit: names are hard

Monaco and Gupta are very good picks.

I don't know much about Clarke, but she is the President & Executive Director of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law and head of the Racial Justice project, so I assume she is probably solid as well.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/arictoler/status/1346874929061490688?s=21

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Meanwhile in the Fox News extended universe

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1346877335438565376?s=21

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This Trump whine fest is absolutely wonderful.

If he was stuck at Mar-a-lago golfing, and not really caring too much about this defeat, it would have sucked a lot of fun out of the whole thing. This is concentrated conservative tears like we rarely get access to.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Monaco and Gupta are very good picks.

I don't know much about Clarke, but she is the President & Executive Director of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law and head of the Racial Justice project, so I assume she is probably solid as well.

Yeah, they're all great. Sorta makes the Garland pick stand out, but whatever. As people have said, could've been better, not a disaster.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vorik posted:

Man it is infuriating how badly they hosed up this second round of payments. I know so many people who got the first stimulus payment no problem but now they didn't get the 2nd one and they are being told they have to claim the $600 on their loving taxes. Jesus christ. I loving hope the dem $2k (or 1.4k or whatever) is handled better than this.

I had a much bigger delay in mine but ended up getting it, no idea why. Is that IRS status checker back up yet? That may be handy to see if it's just backlogged or something. I dunno how much manual work needs to be done with these things but the holiday break may have something to do with it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

skylined! posted:

It’s not BAD, but there were better candidates. Specifically Doug Jones, or my local favorite Sally Yates. Or hell, the DA in Manhattan going after Trump if you wanted that extra spicy sauce.

Preet Bharara would have been great, a real muscular attitude to white collar crime that reset the financial world just from one DA's office.

Garland is milquetoast, wishy-washy when it comes to pushing against conservative justifications for corruption, just a nothing man.

e: in with quotes before someone asks for them

quote:

His most charged cases, involving national security and campaign finance, were as likely to disappoint liberals as to please them. He has repeatedly voted against detainees at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, and he joined in a decision after the Supreme Court’s ruling in Citizens United that gave rise to “super PACs.”

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh my bad! Sorry!

EDIT: Terrible snipe, enjoy a pocket pittie.

good lord that is a cute dog

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Holy poo poo he's been talking about numbers of ballots and votes for half an hour. The crowd is absolutely silent.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I was just about to search "white house" on youtube to find this speech but I accidentally wrote "shite house" instead.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I consume a lot of media (mostly podcasts) about cults and grifters and dictators, and a thing not enough people talk about is how the people at the very top of cults of personality are just as susceptible to groupthink and propaganda as the people on the bottom. These are human beings, not gods or monsters, and eventually, always, they start to believe their own lies.

I 100% think that Trump thinks that this election was stolen from him. It's not an act, it's not a con (despite it very much being a con), and it's not a dog-and-pony show. Five years of weekly rallies where thousands of people chant his name has brainwashed him as much as he's brainwashed his base.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I got mine, my 67 year old mother has her's in the mail. My spouse has on the irs website "not coming, we aren't saying why." She got a first round, I did, my mother got hers mailed despite using direct deposit herself (I think because as a senior they just mail them to you anyway?)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Insurrectum posted:

With the 50+1 senate, here's a real question: What Trump "regulations" can Biden undo using the Congressional Review Act? Any regulations finalized in the last 60 days can be immediately overturned, which is far better than the normal process, which requires an extended public comment period and more justification.

IIRC, there was a regulation about "transparency" issued recently that would force researchers to release their data, which would violate HIPAA guidelines and make it almost impossible to do research on various chemicals that may cause health problems. I think that Congress, under the CRA, would be able to reverse that now given they have full control of both the house and senate.

The following link lists some recently-adopted environmental rules which might be reversible under the CRA, depending on whether their publication date/effective date falls within the scope of the CRA deadlines.
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/tracking-environmental-midnight-rules-5089598/

At a glance, some interesting/significant ones would be:

"Increasing Consistency and Transparency in Considering Benefits and Costs in the Clean Air Act Rulemaking Process" - which changes how the costs & benefits of environmental rules are evaluated (to disallow consideration of "co-benefits").

"Strengthening Transparency in Regulatory Science"

"Once In, Always In" - these rules reverse longstanding policy on major sources of Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAP), allowing them to get out of stringent emission control requirements if their HAP emissions fall below major source threshold levels.

"PSD and NNSR: Project Emissions Accounting" - these rules change longstanding policy on how emission changes at major sources are evaluated, which makes it potentially easier for expansion projects to avoid stringent federal permitting requirements.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
They're about to certify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVeHIPQmGJY

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1346879368233164804?s=19

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Froghammer posted:

I consume a lot of media (mostly podcasts) about cults and grifters and dictators, and a thing not enough people talk about is how the people at the very top of cults of personality are just as susceptible to groupthink and propaganda as the people on the bottom. These are human beings, not gods or monsters, and eventually, always, they start to believe their own lies.

I 100% think that Trump thinks that this election was stolen from him. It's not an act, it's not a con (despite it very much being a con), and it's not a dog-and-pony show. Five years of weekly rallies where thousands of people chant his name has brainwashed him as much as he's brainwashed his base.

The funny thing about big lies is you'll never slip up and reveal it if you sincerely believe it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Biden will go down as the greatest President in U.S. history if he follows through with this and people stop calling me about an expiring warranty for a car I don't own.

quote:

Biden's director of telecom policy said that they expect the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to turn their respective regulatory views toward phone companies and other service providers to stem the tide of unlawful "robocalls" that may violate the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).

He said that the FCC would look to propose new rules that would establish a registration process for international and domestic "gateway" service providers and VoIP hubs. They would also require major telecommunications companies like Verizon to preemptively filter mass calls from unapproved gateway services to prevent the calls from ever reaching the customer.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Imagine being all fired up for Dear Leader to lead a Beerhall Putsch announced from the podium and instead he just cries about how Oprah does not talk to you anymore and whine about ballots.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Froghammer posted:

It’s not just that he has tricked himself into believing this stuff, it’s that he has to. He was like this prior to the rallies. Like all narcissists he literally cannot allow himself to feel the pain of failure and do whatever he can to avoid it or alter reality to diminish it.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
This would be funny if it wasn't just so loving boring. Man, imagine being one of these schnooks who paid out a decent chunk of cash and wrote a note to your family saying "I might die this day" before going to an angry Grandpa speech. Trump kicks his supporters in the balls, all the way right until the end.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

LoL Trump gonna try and fire him.

HAHAH Trump literally just said "I hope Mike has the courage to do what he has to do".

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The Dark Project posted:

This would be funny if it wasn't just so loving boring. Man, imagine being one of these schnooks who paid out a decent chunk of cash and wrote a note to your family saying "I might die this day" before going to an angry Grandpa speech. Trump kicks his supporters in the balls, all the way right until the end.

And probably got a lot of coronavirus!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Yep

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1346878178531356674?s=20

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Violator posted:

Does Warren have a post in the new administration? I'm seeing everyone from Bernie to Garland but haven't seen her name? Was the everybody hating her talk true?

Very happy to see how reasonable and realistic this thread has been lately. :)

MA has a lovely chudgov who is actively murdering the population here and would appoint an R senator if Warren was called up. So no, she's not going to get a position.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

This is gonna be a shitshow

https://twitter.com/rebtanhs/status/1346879406581624833

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1346865290257313793

Gonna be hard to do that when you don't have the Senate majority spitball

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Detroit had more votes than voters thing is so easily stupid to disprove here. There are 700,000 people in Detroit and 500,000 registered voters with 250,000 votes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Biden will go down as the greatest President in U.S. history if he follows through with this and people stop calling me about an expiring warranty for a car I don't own.

I hope they do this, I've been getting these calls almost daily for the last ~6 months after them being a like once a month thing for years beforehand. I'm also a "have to at least pick up calls from unknown numbers" person just in case it's like, a hospital telling me my dad is dying or something like that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

good lord that is a cute dog

yeah but it's a pocket pittie, you're required to have loving huge pockets before you can get one

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TyrantWD posted:

This Trump whine fest is absolutely wonderful.

If he was stuck at Mar-a-lago golfing, and not really caring too much about this defeat, it would have sucked a lot of fun out of the whole thing. This is concentrated conservative tears like we rarely get access to.

:munch:

The spectacle really is quite beautiful

It's a whole lot of nothing because his followers are giant pandered to babies: see "Proud Boys getting spanked by DC police"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kaboobi posted:

MA has a lovely chudgov who is actively murdering the population here and would appoint an R senator if Warren was called up. So no, she's not going to get a position.

The MA legislature is supermajority Dem and said they're prepared to change succession laws (most likely by demanding replacement be of the same party) if Biden had any interest in tapping Warren. They've done it before even. If Warren doesn't get a spot in the admin it'll be because the donors don't like her, same as Bernie who at least has budget chair to fall back on

How did they see that whiny speech and still have energy to do this lol. Maybe they'll taste some teargas tonight after all

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

No details at all though.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

I was hoping to complete my MPA around the time I could jump onboard with a GND rollout job but I’ll be happy to help collect the auto dialers from call centers wherever I can. I’ll wear a loving cape. Whatever.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Holy poo poo he's been talking about numbers of ballots and votes for half an hour. The crowd is absolutely silent.

I think the problem is that his supporters haven't realised - may never realise - that they want different things. Trump's supporters want him to keep being president. Trump himself wants to have won the election. Neither of them care about the thing the other wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Pelosi just kicked out a bunch of Republicans from the floor for not social distancing lmao