Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Space zombies also ruined Halo.

Space zombies are a scourge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On the show it was more engineered humanoid monster/weapons and they didn’t stick around for too long anyway.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Zombies are out, space Muslims doing space 9/11s are in baby!!!!!!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In hindsight dead space 1 was like a brief light entering the concept of space zombies, before going out forever

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
The Expanse was an amazing space noir + :tinfoil: for the first two seasons, I got mega bored after the second season.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Watching The Expanse and knowing it all started as a table top RPG campaign and it all makes sense.

Like a random party member in the first season just randomly gets his head blown off, that's because that player dropped out of the game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

In hindsight dead space 1 was like a brief light entering the concept of space zombies, before going out forever

Well those are more like The Things or something that comes out of the Event Horizon portal to hell rather than zombies to be fair

It's those two things and Alien crammed into a videogame with dismemberment mechanics

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I will never stop being entertained by the fact that there is a small but vocal group of people who loving despise a children's TV show nobody has ever heard of

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The crazy man did it

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I will never stop being entertained by the fact that there is a small but vocal group of people who loving despise a children's TV show nobody has ever heard of

They're called parents who bother to watch tv with their kids instead of us it as a digital babysitter.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I guess once you finish your lifelong dream project and nobody gives a poo poo about it you just start burning your bridges out of spite, would explain why he became one of those "Cancel Culture Has Gone TOO FAR" people.

Gripweed posted:

The word you're thinking of is "parents". See, when people have children a part of raising them is the fact that they will have entertainment they like and which you by proxy will be exposed to, and since most early childhood television is very simple and repetitive by nature of its intended audience it is incredibly annoying to the parents that are forced to endure it for the sake of having a happy/quiet kid.

Also when kids get a little older they turn on the baby shows they used to like to show how mature they are, hating Caillou and wanting him to be grounded grounded grounded for 1.94 million years is just the zoomer version of lovely 90s Kill Barney humor.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shows that both kids and parents can enjoy are a rare thing indeed.

Lately the one I can think of is “Bluey”, a show about australian dog people and it’s fantastic. Just really good entertainment with kids or not imo.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

priznat posted:

Shows that both kids and parents can enjoy are a rare thing indeed.

Lately the one I can think of is “Bluey”, a show about australian dog people and it’s fantastic. Just really good entertainment with kids or not imo.

And this problem is often exacerbated by the fact that kids will want to watch the same thing over and over and over. Anyone who had a daughter young enough to be really into Frozen almost certainly despises the film, despite its quality.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just make your kids watch good stuff, like Columbo. Kids love Columbo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

And this problem is often exacerbated by the fact that kids will want to watch the same thing over and over and over. Anyone who had a daughter young enough to be really into Frozen almost certainly despises the film, despite its quality.

Yeah according to my plex server frozen2 has been played 46 times lol.

I actually still don’t hate it though.

Kids put on that grinch CG movie at xmas time on netflix and I was like NEVER AGAIN though. It was excruciatingly bad.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1008472126721085446?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Columbo's on streaming now. Everybody's watching Columbo. It's like The Office.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Give the children the most precious gift, your night court tapes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Speaking of outdated media for elderly people, and also Star Wars, guess what's canon in Star Wars now for some reason!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Now that it's passed can we all admit that the moral panic about ESL Finger Family videos on YouTube was ridiculously overblown and was mostly just parents projecting their guilt and insecurity about letting their iPad babysit their kids onto stupid but completely harmless childrens entertainment.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Finger family and baby shark loving suck and I hate them

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The parents have logged on

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

No more tablet time for you rowdy kids!!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Now that it's passed can we all admit that the moral panic about ESL Finger Family videos on YouTube was ridiculously overblown and was mostly just parents projecting their guilt and insecurity about letting their iPad babysit their kids onto stupid but completely harmless childrens entertainment.

The panic wasn't overblown, but it should have been about parents being lovely, not about the videos themselves.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I loved those 90s columbo tv movies when I was a kid.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It did expose a lot of the spam techniques on youtube and finally got them to change their algorithm (which then finally lead them to changing the algorithm to be less of a radicalization tool).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was good the radicalization issue was resolved, or who knows what might have happened

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

It was good the radicalization issue was resolved, or who knows what might have happened

.. now let me check the nightly news shows and take a sip of delicious cola..

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

.. now let me check the nightly news shows and take a sip of delicious cola..

No!!!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The problem with The Expanse is it talks too much geopolitic for a sci-fi show that has very childish geopolitic setup. It's like Legend of Galaxy Heroes with training wheels.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

wanna paint this

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

When I was a kid I liked the simpsons so much that for some reason as a small child I decided to be a fan of the fox channel and exclusively watched that one channel for like all of grade school. I don't even know what the gently caress.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Gripweed posted:

Columbo's on streaming now. Everybody's watching Columbo. It's like The Office.

https://twitter.com/johnlevenstein/status/1345511657431175168?s=20

columbo was a masterpiece.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The crazy man did it

Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Breen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Now that's what I call pacing

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

infernal machines posted:

Now that's what I call pacing

related dope old tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aMCzRj3Syg

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Miami Vice pilot is so loving good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Holy drat what was the Miami Vice show shot on? Film? It looks amazing!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I don't even like Phil Collins, but that's a good scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

https://youtu.be/6_NeqMAAsBk