Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Why Cas gotta be a fuckup creep☹

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Baronjutter posted:

There was so much great poo poo in the episode it almost felt like maybe 3 different episodes back to back.

It's a great season so far. I'm already planning to re-watch the whole season when it's done. Unlike season 4 which I"m never watching again.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Crazycryodude posted:

The yield fuckups sucked but the ground being covered in snow in post-centuries-of-global-warming Maryland in the summer and the sun being so dim it can be mistaken for the moon is doing a good job of selling the devastation. In an understated way that only clicks when you think about it a bit, much classier and cheaper on the CGI than burning cities.

Showing all the knocked down trees, too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kassad posted:

Showing all the knocked down trees, too.

Yeah some real Tunguska event energy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Is the season only 10 episodes like last season? Because 4 episodes left doesn't feel like enough.

edit: never mind, I checked, it's 10

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sorry if this has been explained, but how did Alex and Bobbie power their ship if he ejected the engine last episode?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Sorry if this has been explained, but how did Alex and Bobbie power their ship if he ejected the engine last episode?

He ejected the lit fuel.

They ignite the stuff from pellets, so they just loaded some more in, set them on fire, and rocketed off into space.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've been seeing this misunderstanding crop up a lot. Core dump, in this context, refers to ejecting the contents of the core. I assume that it's Star Trek's cultural inertia that makes folks think that they ejected the whole dang engine. It made sense to me in the moment, but they probably should have worked in some expository dialogue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Something like "core chamber purge" probably would have been more apt.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah people think of trek's warp core ejection.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The fact that it actually worked should have been a clue that they didn't shoot out the whole engine.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Really excited that Mr. Mehta managed to become president of Earth, that makes two Kim's Convenience actors in the Expanse!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

swickles posted:

I doubt they are walking North to Baltimore from Quebec. They are somewhere within a couple days walk to Baltimore.

That makes more sense.

I was just using this establishing shot

to guess their location but looking at it closer the snowy part clearly extends much further than the great lakes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh wow, Florida is a small island now?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The podcast for this episode features the actors for Drummer and Marco. Cara Gee is such a delight to see; she's so different from Drummer :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynyCMXijTig

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Eej posted:

Really excited that Mr. Mehta managed to become president of Earth, that makes two Kim's Convenience actors in the Expanse!

Oh wow, I knew I recognized him from somewhere. Mr. Mehta makes three now though!
Umma was the captain of the Donnager and Jung was one of the marines that tried to apprehend Holden in the ring station

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

Oh wow, Florida is a small island now?

Yea, it's most likely based on climate change projections of rising sea levels. Florida and most of the Gulf Coast are fuuuuuuuucked. Though I remember Nova SCotia getting off pretty easy as my home province is almost all hills well above sea level. But like Cape Breton is missing and so its most of the land that connects to new brunswick. Also the Great Lakes look way different too.

I'd love to see the geography behind their projection because even a 10foot rise in sea levels doesn't completely wipe florida off the map, just the area below Tampa. Though We know from the intro that NYC has massive walls around it so the sea levels must be massive.
Though it looks like its based on "what if all the ice melted" projections

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

404notfound posted:

The podcast for this episode features the actors for Drummer and Marco. Cara Gee is such a delight to see; she's so different from Drummer :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynyCMXijTig

So the Marco Inaros actor already knew Drummer and Naomi and was having dinner with them when they got the news The Expanse was cancelled on Syfy. Everyone in Canada does know each other.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Still no Roger Cross on this show smdh

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

twistedmentat posted:

Drummer has a long hand going on, I wonder what it is, and I know she knows Naomi is on Pellis after Filips slip up.

I'm not sure how much was an unforced error versus Drummer digging versus a desire to let somebody else know that they've got Naomi. Or possibly an evolving combination of these things.

Obviously Drummer will act oblivious around Marco but it's a he-knows-she-knows at this point. How he chooses to now act on that information is going to be interesting.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Loved Bobbies little smirk when Alex got slammed to the floor on the Razorback.

Also wanted to say that Avasarala's acting at the start of the show was extremely good. A really believable portrayal of someone like her trying to cope with an incredibly distressing situation.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

lol Keon Alexander is such a dud irl

Wes Chatam and Cara Gee's enthusiasm is infectious tho

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

So the Marco Inaros actor already knew Drummer and Naomi and was having dinner with them when they got the news The Expanse was cancelled on Syfy. Everyone in Canada does know each other.

Dan Levy from Schitt's Creek also gave an interview where he said pretty much every Canadian actor knows each other.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Now that you mention it, back when Battlestar Galactica was filming, a struggling actor friend of mine went to the same acting school as Grace Park so we got to have a drink with her one night. Nice person.

You can play 6 degrees of separation very easily with Canadian actors

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

smooth jazz posted:

Now that you mention it, back when Battlestar Galactica was filming, a struggling actor friend of mine went to the same acting school as Grace Park so we got to have a drink with her one night. Nice person.

Too easily. You'd need to make it three degrees, maybe four to make it any kind of a challenge.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, it's most likely based on climate change projections of rising sea levels. Florida and most of the Gulf Coast are fuuuuuuuucked. Though I remember Nova SCotia getting off pretty easy as my home province is almost all hills well above sea level. But like Cape Breton is missing and so its most of the land that connects to new brunswick. Also the Great Lakes look way different too.

I'd love to see the geography behind their projection because even a 10foot rise in sea levels doesn't completely wipe florida off the map, just the area below Tampa. Though We know from the intro that NYC has massive walls around it so the sea levels must be massive.
Though it looks like its based on "what if all the ice melted" projections

Based on the Gulf of Denmark shot in in season 4, sea level rise looks to have been at least 30 feet

Someone posted comparison shots on reddit a while ago

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

smooth jazz posted:

It would be even more Canadian if Roger Cross wandering randomly when you were doing tequila shots.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of BSG this almost seemed too on-the-nose with the whole "this rando Undersecretary of Paperclips is now the leader of Earth" plot point.

I really enjoyed how the guy they ran into in the woods seemed super suspicious and put you into Amos' wild-animal mindset reading his posture and tone of voice and deciding whether or not he's a threat. Something tells me they haven't seen the last of him, but even if they don't it's a good scene that sets up the next one very well

I wonder whose plan it was to write "OK Amos has to strip down and turn around in the snow ;-*" into the script

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Excuse me, he was the executive officer in charge of radishes.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Data Graham posted:

I really enjoyed how the guy they ran into in the woods seemed super suspicious and put you into Amos' wild-animal mindset reading his posture and tone of voice and deciding whether or not he's a threat. Something tells me they haven't seen the last of him, but even if they don't it's a good scene that sets up the next one very well

I don't think he will turn up again. Aside from pointing the pair in the direction of the doomsday prepper, I think the scene's primary purpose was to highlight Amos' (somewhat justified) paranoia. He'd rather expect a harmless guy to come at him from behind than fail to anticipate the one that actually comes, and it has quite possibly saved his life in the past.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Speaking of BSG this almost seemed too on-the-nose with the whole "this rando Undersecretary of Paperclips is now the leader of Earth" plot point.

I wonder whose plan it was to write "OK Amos has to strip down and turn around in the snow ;-*" into the script

I liked his sixth sense bit when see Amos slowly zero in on the random bystanders at the Eros hotel and realizes it's a setup/ambush by the UN hit squad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I feel like having them encounter a random dead body with no explanation kind of watered down Amos seeming paranoid and instead made Peaches seem naive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Farming XP for the main questline....

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chronojam posted:

I'm not sure how much was an unforced error versus Drummer digging versus a desire to let somebody else know that they've got Naomi. Or possibly an evolving combination of these things.

Obviously Drummer will act oblivious around Marco but it's a he-knows-she-knows at this point. How he chooses to now act on that information is going to be interesting.

I don't know if Naomi has broken any of Marco's control over Filip, so I'm still going to chalk it up to him being dumb, also not realizing who Drummer is. Marco knows, and knows she needs to be on a short leash and kept on his side.

Slashrat posted:

Based on the Gulf of Denmark shot in in season 4, sea level rise looks to have been at least 30 feet

Someone posted comparison shots on reddit a while ago

That makes sense. having the sea levels rise that much says huge amounts of environmental damage.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Infidelicious posted:

Yeah, I paused it and mentioned that to my wife when we came to the wide shot with the snowy bridge. It's really nice to watch a show that isn't afraid of quiet and just letting the frame relay information or feeling... watching Avasarala quietly struggle to put her jewelry on and compose herself was a great scene that told you everything you needed to know with a single line.

As she's struggling to fasten her necklace you just get the feeling she's thinking: "this is normally when I'd ask my husband to help me..." devastating.

Crazycryodude posted:

The yield fuckups sucked but the ground being covered in snow in post-centuries-of-global-warming Maryland in the summer and the sun being so dim it can be mistaken for the moon is doing a good job of selling the devastation. In an understated way that only clicks when you think about it a bit, much classier and cheaper on the CGI than burning cities.

Also, it looked like the leaves on the snow-covered trees were still really green. Way to green to have snow on them. A good way to hint at the oddness of the climate. (NB: I'm a life long Southern Californian who knows next to nothing about snowy climates, so I could be wrong here)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Data Graham posted:

That scene is straight out of the book, though apparently it's hard to get Wes to keep his pants on in general.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tylertfb posted:

As she's struggling to fasten her necklace you just get the feeling she's thinking: "this is normally when I'd ask my husband to help me..." devastating.

Also, it looked like the leaves on the snow-covered trees were still really green. Way to green to have snow on them. A good way to hint at the oddness of the climate. (NB: I'm a life long Southern Californian who knows next to nothing about snowy climates, so I could be wrong here)

East Coast forests are a mix of deciduous and evergreen; it looked about right for a regular winter. It does snow in like October sometimes (maybe not as far south as Maryland, but whatever), but that's still when all the leaves are up and very colorful, so that didn't track visually.

(Kinda stands to reason because they would have just filmed a forest in winter, it's not a whole CGI landscape (aside from the establishing shot with the toppled trees))

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

That scene is straight out of the book, though apparently it's hard to get Wes to keep his pants on in general.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So glad we finally got to my favorite scene from the books!

You can all now safely click the first page of the spoiler thread!
:woop:

Cojawfee posted:

Peaches getting a maintenance job just seems really hard to believe. I guess she would just have enough money to pay people off, but you'd think there would be more scrutiny in who has that job when there are billions of people trying to get work on Earth. All these people want a job and she just makes a fake identity and gets a job on the exact ship she needs to be on.

A billion pages behind, but the recent college admissions scandals should show his this scenario is totally possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
I love this show but when peaches went crazy on the prepper I laughed out loud at how ridiculously corny that was.