Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

e.pilot posted:

In for riding this once riding together is a thing again.

Where is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Anza Borrego posted:

Where is that?

SoCal

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

I’m in SD, can you be more specific?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Anza Borrego posted:

Mid SoCal

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Anza Borrego posted:

https://pjammcycling.com/climb/73.Hwy%2039-Dawson%27s%20Saddle

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Tigren posted:

Mid SoCal

:allears:

Awesome, thank you!
That looks like a hell of a climb.
That page does note that the closed road section is also closed to cyclists - is there enforcement?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I have ridden right passed chp and forest service while hopping the gate without issues, but you never know. Encanto Park to Dawson Saddle is a solid 3+ hour climb, my PR is barely sub-3. Only water is from a waterfall at the halfway mark. Otherwise you can do Crystal Lake and get real food and drinks at the cafe.

It has been closed to cars for 40 years but also rarely gets repaired so the asphalt has gone to poo poo in alot of places and it has constant rockslides that scatter junk over the road, or occasionally drop SUV sized boulders all over the road. Going up is fine, gotta be careful going down.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
That looks super rad, thanks!
Climbing for 3 hours straight seems like my kind of Type 2 fun. I definitely need to work on building my climbing volume this year so I can try something like that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What tire choice would you use for that? Looks mostly asphalt but how long are those dirt and gravel sections?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Other than that 4mi stretch of old but rideable asphalt it is all paved with very smooth and clean asphalt. Descending Crystal Lake proper there are parts where you average 50mph for minutes at a time. I ride with 32mm grand prix 5000s but have done it on 25mm tires as well.

Heres a strava from one of the last times I did that out and back: https://www.strava.com/activities/3500112253
Going a bit further to Wrightwood to refuel at the gas station: https://www.strava.com/activities/3747942126
Starting and finishing from GMR makes it look like this: https://www.strava.com/activities/3610246759/overview

And if you want to do Wrightwood from GMR, it looks like this: https://www.strava.com/activities/2491197898

Looking at the photos I posted I realize now that the landslide shot and the snow shot are literally taken in the exact same location. So you can see they do clean up the big landslides so that the road can be used for emergencies (forest fires).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Took ol’ dick up Glendora Mountain Rd today.

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
Here is a just finished the build picture of my “keep it cheap” build (trade prices help). Now to never ride it.

Please ignore the mess we are redoing the electrics and it’s normally slightly less bad.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
DJ looks great.

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
Here’s a few better shots, still in a lovely workspace.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Looks so good. Makes me want to get back on mine (moved further from the jumps a couple of years ago and just haven’t been riding it). Guessing from the brake position and the parts that you’re in the UK, have you been able to ride it yet?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
OK so it's not a great picture of the bike (rented Otso Voytek) but I did find a pretty famous wall to lean it against.

Roslyn's a nice place to ride. From this wall it's about less than a mile to a series of trails that are groomed for biking and skiing in the winter.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lavaca posted:

OK so it's not a great picture of the bike (rented Otso Voytek) but I did find a pretty famous wall to lean it against.

Roslyn's a nice place to ride. From this wall it's about less than a mile to a series of trails that are groomed for biking and skiing in the winter.

Haha, that's awesome. I was a huge Northern Exposure fan back in the day.

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

Looks so good. Makes me want to get back on mine (moved further from the jumps a couple of years ago and just haven’t been riding it). Guessing from the brake position and the parts that you’re in the UK, have you been able to ride it yet?

Yep, SW London, shop is just about in Surrey. I rode it round town earlier

and I'll probably just alternate it with my BMX, although this in the cold is way less harsh.

Apologies for spamming it, I am way more stoked on this than i thought I would be when I was buiding it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That's a 4.5" tire next to that paw print.

I don't think that's a coyote :ohdear:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

You'll make a delicious meal, don't worry

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Cambio Corsa is epic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

EvilJoven posted:

That's a 4.5" tire next to that paw print.

Possums are docile and sweet don't worry

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

threw my 650b wheels back on with a new byway on the rear

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

BraveUlysses posted:

threw my 650b wheels back on with a new byway on the rear

I’d like to get some 650bs for my Renegade, how big are the tires? Any fit/rubbing issues?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

forever waiting on wheels but hair it is. extremely comfortable and already covered in mud

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

had to wait a couple months for all the parts to come in but :3:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:eyepop: that's real pretty

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

forever waiting on wheels but hair it is. extremely comfortable and already covered in mud

I didn't realize it was possible for a bike to look British. That green is something else. :swoon:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Finally got a stem that matches the seat post. Waste of money but it was really bugging me.

Also got some Garmin Vector 3 pedals. My FTP... has lots of room for improvement.

dema fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 24, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Anza Borrego posted:

I’d like to get some 650bs for my Renegade, how big are the tires? Any fit/rubbing issues?

plenty of room on my 2018 renegade for these 47mm tires

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Unsinkabear posted:

I didn't realize it was possible for a bike to look British. That green is something else. :swoon:

https://bikepacking.com/news/readers-rig-toms-singular-peregrine/

ViciousV
Jun 1, 2004

My space horse

ViciousV fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 25, 2021

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
that is a good looking bike

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

My daily driver:

(Obviously) home made, corflute fairing over a custom carbon fibre trike with front suspension. Has a TSDZ2 250W motor in the front which makes riding in start-stop city traffic much less poo poo. Whole thing weighs around 33kg, bit of a pain up hills but I can easily hold 50 kph on flat roads (even without the motor I can hold >45 kph due to the better aerodynamics of the fairing).

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Lol that’s incredible. Where are that this is street legal

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Lol that’s incredible. Where are that this is street legal

Well without the motor it's legal anywhere because it's three wheeled and pedal powered, which counts as a bicycle in any country that I know of. They're typically called velomobiles and you can buy them commercially, full carbon fibre and very nice but also super expensive.

With the motor it's also fine as long as you comply with local e-bike regulations. I'm in New Zealand which is really weird from a regulatory point of view, e-bikes here are limited to 250W but there's no speed limit, so with a bike like this with better aerodynamics you can go a shitload faster with the same power compared to an upright bike. The first time I rode it to work I was pulled over by the cops, but they figured out it was legal and I had no issues. Since then I've ridden past tons of police cars and never been pulled over again so I can only assume that the first guy sent an email around saying it was ok or something (he took a few photos).

Even ignoring that I can basically travel at the same speed as cars I feel a lot safer commuting in this thing than on my upright bike because it's so unusual EVERYBODY sees it, I get lots of honks and people recording me or waving etc. I also have LED strips down the sides and on the back so it's very visible at night.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Blackhawk posted:

I also have LED strips down the sides and on the back so it's very visible at night.

Cyberpunk 250W

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

That rules, full stop.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

amenenema posted:

That rules, full stop.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

I was interested first time I scrolled through and saw your initial pic, now I'm hooked. Please post adventures on this.