Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also Michael Mann is depressing because he always makes what he thinks is just the coolest hippest new style of the moment so once you leave the 80s his movies are all dreary and horribly aged unless you're the kind of person who updates the Internet Movie Firearms Database with every time a character violates trigger discipline in a film.

Heat absolutely kicks rear end you fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Michael Mann is depressing because he always makes what he thinks is just the coolest hippest new style of the moment so once you leave the 80s his movies are all dreary and horribly aged unless you're the kind of person who updates the Internet Movie Firearms Database with every time a character violates trigger discipline in a film.

what the gently caress

HEAT???
Collateral????

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Miami Vice premiered 36 years ago, most of us weren't alive or were still in diapers then. Were you super knowledgeable and appreciative of 1947 cop radio programs like Call the Police when Miami Vice was airing?

No. It was not an attack on you. I just wanted to point out that it was different and a big deal at the time, even if it was diluted into the mass of cop shows though the years. I wasn't sure if you were talking about contemporary status or historical status.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

priznat posted:

Shows that both kids and parents can enjoy are a rare thing indeed.

Lately the one I can think of is “Bluey”, a show about australian dog people and it’s fantastic. Just really good entertainment with kids or not imo.

I'd say Sesame Street.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Lmao at supernova Josh levels of bad takes about the director of mfuckin HEAT and Collateral itt.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Miami Vice TV show was a huge deal for both TV and American pop culture.

It was one of the first shows to really incorporate current music into the show in order to set a mood or as part of the story telling. It was such a huge deal that the TV listings for the show would also include the songs featured in that week's episode.

The stories themselves were somewhat different for the time. The cops were hosed up and not always portrayed as 'the good guys.'

The look at feel of the show is something that had never really been seen before. It was one of the coolest looking shows ever.

The show turned guys (at least in the US) onto things like Italian fashion. Everyone on the show was hip and cool. People wanted that. Men went out and bought Armani suits and poo poo like that. Wahl even sold a product called the "Miami Device." It was an electric razor preset to leave you with some stubble so you'd get that Crockett 5 o'clock shadow.

The movie looks loving amazing. Mann is a master at shooting on digital. He uses it to do things not easily done on film. There's some issues with the ending (which if what I've read is true is Foxx's fault) and some of the other plot elements, but the I love the way the movie feels.

I love Michael Mann movies. Manhunter is in my top 5 movies ever. Thief, The Keep, Heat, Collateral, Ali, The Insider. All amazing movies. Even his lesser ones are fine

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Galewolf posted:

Lmao at supernova Josh levels of bad takes about the director of mfuckin HEAT and Collateral itt.

If the idea of sitting through three hours of just the dourest loving scenes of elderly men standing around broadly talking about duty and truth and how badass and cool they are just to get one action scene is so compelling to you then may I recommend anime.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If the idea of sitting through three hours of just the dourest loving scenes of elderly men standing around broadly talking about duty and truth and how badass and cool they are just to get one action scene is so compelling to you then may I recommend anime.

luchajones you’re using the wrong account!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Thief came out in the 80s and that poo poo still rocks, you're loving crazy dude lol

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

Quantum of Phallus posted:

luchajones you’re using the wrong account!

too wordy

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Stop talking to Guy Mann! He doesn't have any real opinions and is stupid as poo poo.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Mordja posted:

Stop talking to Guy Mann! He doesn't have any real opinions.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

really like where Snyder's going with Steppenwolf

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

really like where Snyder's going with Steppenwolf

Hahahahaha

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

You know that brings up a good point, if you’re really going to be the thread Josh, then you have to be a lot more long winded and pedantic. Like I’m talking walls of text about the deep film theory of Caillou. These couple of words bad takes are just lazy.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

colonelwest posted:

You know that brings up a good point, if you’re really going to be the thread Josh, then you have to be a lot more long winded and pedantic. Like I’m talking walls of text about the deep film theory of Caillou. These couple of words bad takes are just lazy.

meh

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
gandalf return as gandalf the white was one of the coolest scenes ever.

also whats the deal with batman keaton? they are going to do movies with him? what happened to batfleck or the pattison one?

also whats the current batman continuity? he married catwoman? a friend was telling me about the batman who laughs but that sounded loving awful.

whats my batfriend doing these days?

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Zeta Acosta posted:

also whats the deal with batman keaton? they are going to do movies with him? what happened to batfleck or the pattison one?

also whats the current batman continuity? he married catwoman? a friend was telling me about the batman who laughs but that sounded loving awful.

Nerd alert!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zeta Acosta posted:

Last I heard he got the batdick out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zeta Acosta posted:

There was a team of evil Batmans from alternative universes where Batman WENT TOO FAR!! They were all themed on a different member of the Justice League, which iirc they didn't even try to have an in-universe justification for. Except the Batman Who Laughs, who was themed on the Joker, because he started out as Batman and a Batman-themed evil Batman would be kind of pointless

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

Gripweed posted:

There was a team of evil Batmans from alternative universes where Batman WENT TOO FAR!! They were all themed on a different member of the Justice League, which iirc they didn't even try to have an in-universe justification for. Except the Batman Who Laughs, who was themed on the Joker, because he started out as Batman and a Batman-themed evil Batman would be kind of pointless

what the gently caress is this

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

luchajones posted:

The Batman who comes out when you solve the Lament Configuration.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Gripweed posted:

You know, occasionally you see an image from a comic book and you can just tell, immediately, exactly what weird and specific fetish the artist is super into.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

luchajones posted:

A movie they make in the next decade.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

When is Stripperella gonna appear in a Marvel movie?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Gripweed posted:

why is judge death on this?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LanceHunter posted:

You know, occasionally you see an image from a comic book and you can just tell, immediately, exactly what weird and specific fetish the artist is super into.

Just the one?!

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Wondoer womans rear end is out but somehow not superman is dc homophobic????

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also Michael Mann is depressing because he always makes what he thinks is just the coolest hippest new style of the moment so once you leave the 80s his movies are all dreary and horribly aged unless you're the kind of person who updates the Internet Movie Firearms Database with every time a character violates trigger discipline in a film.

Mohicans, Heat and Public Enemies are all great movies what are you talking about. Did you watch Blackhat and retroactively think all his post 80s movies were that bad?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Mordja posted:

Just the one?!
yeah which one could it be
- batman but he's a huge cloaked zombie
- batman but he's a muscular spiky monster
- batman but he's green and wearing goggles
- batman but he is wearing a suit of armor with the wwf logo on it
- three pantsless little boys on leashes fawning on a gimp's legs like the brides of dracula
- batman but he's red and has spikes

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Remember, Sleeveless only likes movies if there are young children gyrating in it.

And stop leaving Manhunter off of Mann's list of great movies!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

mallratcal posted:

And stop leaving Manhunter off of Mann's list of great movies!

I mostly love that movie, but it has the most horrific "blue day for night" I've ever seen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Manhunter slaps and Brian Cox is a great Lecter.

Innagadavida, baybeeeeee (that scene ruuuuuules)

Tom Noonan as Dollarhyde is scary as gently caress

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

rydiafan posted:

I mostly love that movie, but it has the most horrific "blue day for night" I've ever seen.

If you're referring to the bedroom scene, that's an intentional lighting choice.

priznat posted:

Manhunter slaps and Brian Cox is a great Lecter.

Innagadavida, baybeeeeee (that scene ruuuuuules)

Tom Noonan as Dollarhyde is scary as gently caress

You'd have to dig through CD, but there's a really good thread in there comparing Manhunter to Red Dragon.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I hope the boys understand that the nation needs content in order to heal during this difficult time

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I hope the boys understand that the nation needs content in order to heal during this difficult time

It’s a bit weird they haven’t denounced the violence yet, kinda sus

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Rich Evan’s angelic laughter is the only thing that can stitch this nation back together.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's nuts their Gremlins 3 idea was a message from the future.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

well it's not feet this time around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I'm Hovering Elderly Batman