Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Hel posted:

Edit: like this one

I can't decide if I think this is literally unplayable or incredibly powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

My Lovely Horse posted:

Probably obvious but top level sorting should be alphabetically by game system, then by edition within systems, then within each edition go from general to specific. Core rulebooks first, supplements after; the less broadly applicable a book is to the system, the further to the end it goes. Books that continue earlier books go with those ("Monster Manual 2"). I'd also separate third party stuff within sections. If you've got a lot of published adventures set them up in their own subsection. Sortings that make sense include by PC level they're written for, by the area they're set in - that kinda depends on how you personally use them.

I have it set up by doing system name, alphabetical / book type / book title, alphabetical for the moment. The only exception is that the books closest to me to grab are the GURPS core books while all the D&D stuff and everything else is sorted off to the side. That takes up two of the three shelves, whereas the bottom shelf remains as holding printer paper, sheet protectors, and miscellaneous doodads.

I may re-rack some of the books by genre as while I have many fantasy type RPG books in the larger hardcover format, I am beginning to amass non-fantasy RPG material, particularly in the futuristic or alternate present sci-fi space. I don't necessarily know where Spire fits in that, but I think it'll be lumped in with the fantasy books. I have a large amount of Infinity RPG, Zone Raiders, and Nibiru which should take a quarter shelf alone, plus there's probably going to be more books besides to shove in there whenever I do get around to bulking out that section.

I also have a variety of artbooks that I don't quite know what to do with along with other stuff that is in a big pile of generic inspiration stuff (photography studies, poetry anthologies, as well as a reasonable stack of video game related artbooks and stuff to mine for color palettes). I suppose it might make more sense to put those in a separate smaller bookcase, but I'm waffling and it's half insomnia and half the fact I haven't been able to play any games this week that my brain is trying to find something to do.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O word. I can totally see not wanting to build shelves in an apartment. I did it loads of times but I already had the tools.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

I can't decide if I think this is literally unplayable or incredibly powerful.

Telepathy stapled to a darksteel golem that makes you skip your next turn is faily costed at 3-4 mana these days, have you seen questing beast? Nobody bothers with 7-cost creatures that don’t outright win them the game.

Starting back up my trail of cthulhu group with friends soon & I just want to say: my favorite thing about horror is watching sensible characters realize that if they can contact the police, then the police won’t help them. One of my players is retiring their character for a new one so one of the other players will get to light a cigarette and say “go ahead, call the police...for all the good it’ll do.”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

aldantefax posted:

Does anybody have suggestions for effectively sorting and storing RPG books?

Since all the big format books have a specific size I was thinking about possibly getting more bookcases and the like, but I also don't know if that is really the stuff I ought to be doing in this small space I'm in right now. I have a bookcase which is pretty much overflowing at this point and a tall bookshelf that is overflowing with boardgames in the living room, but I'd like to pursue some upgraded solutions like maybe switching out my current bookcase for a longer one or maybe just swapping the whole business out for like a 5x5 IKEA combo grid or something to reinforce with wood glue (somewhat awkward to build though since I'll be moving in about half a year).

I have a growing list of books that are in various systems rather than just one, but I'd like easy access to all of them while I'm ruminating on design stuff.
Does US IKEA have platsa? If you get a bunch of the smaller moduler ones when you move they can be broken down into convenient (if heavy) individual moving boxes

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 8, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sorting by genre sounds totally valid. Sorting by a clear formal aspect has the advantage of cutting down on edge cases (it seems you're already running into trouble thinking of Spire), but it comes down to how you approach your collection.

I would definitely set the inspirational stuff and artbooks up in a separate section and sub-sort by... anything that makes sense to you personally, really. I'd probably do something like artbooks (sub: source i.e. paintings, video game art, fantasy art etc.), photography, poetry and so on, but you might want to have a level above that that might be genre, or time period, or subject...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sub-sorting by genre/type of book makes perfect sense, but don't forget our old friend the alphabet. It's boring, but it's very functional and has become a standard for a reason.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I always sorted by game line. Core books first then splat books alphabetically

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Leperflesh posted:

The wiki needs some love. It hurts me to look at the main page and not see anything to tell me what's on the site or how to find it. As far as I can tell, the only way to discover pages is through the Random Page link, or just having someone give you a link to a useful page. I had no idea there was a glossary, and searching "glossary" doesn't even return it (because the page is titled Help:Glossary and is not in the content pages!) I would like to help and make it much more usable, but... doing so very highly resembles the poo poo I do at work, so I've carefully avoided volunteering for years.

I can see hyphz has been active, I'd be interesting in hearing who owns it (fuego fish and hypnobeard?), who else is active, and to what degree a random mod can come and stomp around making big changes without pissing everyone off.

Howdy! I'm providing the hosting, Fuego is providing the impetus to get it back up. I'm not sure many other folks are active, but we'd definitely welcome people coming by! Sign up, edit some pages, add some content!

There's a channel on Fuego's TG discord for wiki stuff, if you have questions or problems. You can also PM me here.

(I'll work on the front page today :o:)

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Hypnobeard posted:

Howdy! I'm providing the hosting, Fuego is providing the impetus to get it back up.

My impetus has been sorely lacking lately what with The Horrors, but I'm going to try my best to make it full of useful templates and resources for our cool-rear end cat-posting community.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sort by release date.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

This a cat thread now? Got 14 I work with, take your pick.

As far as book organizing, I barely use physical books but alphabetical is how it usually goes for me, too. Gotta get a new book case still.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

This a cat thread now? Got 14 I work with, take your pick.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Also : http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/kritzer_01_15/

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The (YA?) novel sequel is also very good. Catfishing on CatNet.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Excellent short story.

I work with a shelter, which is where the number comes in at. I probably have a picture for all 14 (a couple try really hard to hide constantly) but that's a couple thousand pictures to sort through.

And yes, I pick favorites, sorry; Jasper is a delightful boy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

drat it now I'm looking up how to volunteer at the local ASPCA.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Just not a Humane Society. I have a personal grudge.
This shelter is a local, independent one, which makes me feel a lot better about working with them. No-kill, too. My room is mostly older cats that a kill shelter would have had put down by now (three from a neglect situation that have just barely started coming around almost 9 years later, one unadoptable for a combination of behavioral and neurological problems, a "rehabilitated" feral still terrified of people... you get the idea). Only a couple are under 7 and all but one have been long-term or lifelong residents. I don't know if or when any of them will get to go home, but I keep coming in and working with them anyway. If we can find them somewhere, great; if not, then we give them the best life we can here.
It's a cause I find worthwhile, at least. Work with a no-kill shelter if you can. I know the existence of kill shelters is both an unfortunate reality and a deeply unfortunate necessity under current circumstances, but I can't in good faith support one or encourage doing so. (Humane Society are bastards above and beyond that though.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

For TG, I've already introduced informally one solution to the attention and navigation obstacle, which is to announce/highlight/talk about new threads here, when they're posted. I think graduating that to a sticky is something I'd like to do, if I can establish that I'm willing to habitually update that sticky on a good quick schedule.
I think announcing new threads (mega or otherwise) here in the chat thread is a good idea. I have the problem of only really navigating the forums via my subscribed threads so I don't see new threads or even really go to TG itself to look up new threads that often. Which, yes, is a me-problem and not a forum-problem, but I think it'd help.

Maybe something like the "LP announcement thread" would work too, where people can just post "hey I started a new thread here, check it out".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm sorry to interrupt pet chat, could I ask a quick question about a few games?

Specifically are any of the following games good:

Blood Red Blossoms- By Rooster games.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/248706/Blood-Red-Blossoms?src=also_purchased

ALL of the Legacy- Life Among the Ruins 2 idea packs- By UFO Press
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/283820/Legacy-Life-Among-the-Ruins--The-Engine-of-Life-Supplement?src=also_purchased
(included the above as an example)

Free from the Yoke- Also UFO Press
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/283821/Free-From-the-Yoke?src=also_purchased

The Wicked Ones- By Bandit camp
http://banditcamp.io/wickedones/

Yokai Hunters Society- By Punkpadour
https://punkpadour.itch.io/yokai-hunter

Thank you very much, and I am sorry if I chose the wrong venue to ask these questions!

Keep safe everyone.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm GMing Wicked Ones at the moment with my Lancer group. We're only one session in so can't speak much to it being good - still learning the ropes on position and effect stuff. Drawing a dungeon is pretty fun and you start off more high-powered than regular Blades in terms of stats. I'm considering asking my group if we can run it for a while instead of Lancer.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Interrupting is perfectly fine. I only have experience with Legacy off this list, and I've been a fan of every release the game has gotten. Engine of Life and Endgame add fantastic family playbooks and new mechanics to the core game (I don't remember the character playbooks well), the alt settings are fairly standalone in playbooks and fluff but are put together well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Legacy is a goon-made game, and it's phenomenal.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Just not a Humane Society. I have a personal grudge.
This shelter is a local, independent one, which makes me feel a lot better about working with them. No-kill, too. My room is mostly older cats that a kill shelter would have had put down by now (three from a neglect situation that have just barely started coming around almost 9 years later, one unadoptable for a combination of behavioral and neurological problems, a "rehabilitated" feral still terrified of people... you get the idea). Only a couple are under 7 and all but one have been long-term or lifelong residents. I don't know if or when any of them will get to go home, but I keep coming in and working with them anyway. If we can find them somewhere, great; if not, then we give them the best life we can here.
It's a cause I find worthwhile, at least. Work with a no-kill shelter if you can. I know the existence of kill shelters is both an unfortunate reality and a deeply unfortunate necessity under current circumstances, but I can't in good faith support one or encourage doing so. (Humane Society are bastards above and beyond that though.)

Nah don’t worry. I used “ASPCA” like you would “kleenex” or “band-aid” when I actually meant “local no kill shelter”. My bad for being vague.

I just gotta watch out that it doesn’t become like when I’d foster cats, nominally for a month, and then I just had all the cats. (I only was supposed to take care of Lilly for a bit but she’d notice when I was brushing my teeth and knew it was bed time and she’d climb under the covers and be the little spoon. I can’t give someone else that cat.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Legacy is at the top of my "I really want to play this" list. I love the idea of hopeful post-apocalypse stuff and the worldbooks are all good. I've only run Rhapsody of Blood, though.

e: Rhapsody of Blood has also kind of spun off into a new standalone game Voidheart Symphony, which is sort of "Castlevania meets Persona also you fight the evils of the world like Capitalism".

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 8, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I'm really interested in Legacy but haven't played it - the only complaint I have heard is that there's only four Family moves and they have limited options. Like, if you want to trade for a resource, there's no option to do that as written; Claim by Force is, well, by force; and Conduct Diplomacy doesn't have trade as an option. So it presumably has to be handwaved.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hyphz posted:

So it presumably has to be handwaved.

It's not "handwaving," it's literally how fiction-first works.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I managed all of a session or two of Legacy, mostly setting building and some early play, never an age turning. The group decided to switch games by majority vote, no plot threads tied up at all.
...to Band of Blades. Opinions already given.
I'd like to revisit Legacy but I'm in no place mentally to GM it any time soon (or much of any other system for that matter) and nobody else wants to GM it, so eternal limbo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

I'm really interested in Legacy but haven't played it - the only complaint I have heard is that there's only four Family moves and they have limited options. Like, if you want to trade for a resource, there's no option to do that as written; Claim by Force is, well, by force; and Conduct Diplomacy doesn't have trade as an option. So it presumably has to be handwaved.

Is this Legacy 1 or Legacy 2? Legacy 2 I thought had more moves for fam?

SkyeAuroline posted:

...to Band of Blades. Opinions already given.
I'd like to revisit Legacy but I'm in no place mentally to GM it any time soon (or much of any other system for that matter) and nobody else wants to GM it, so eternal limbo.

Personally I'd just play BoB on easy, have it so that healing happens more quickly, you start out with 2+ soldiers etc. I think the ideas and setting are so interesting that I really do want to give it a go, just, y'know make things a bit more easy to learn and pick up/ a bit less punishing!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Godsend (one of the Legacy supplements) is amazing, but you need the right group to really make it sing.

Free From The Yoke is standalone (but heavily based on Legacy) and introduces a whole bunch of really neat developments on the basic system. It's not quite my cup of tea because I like my games more fantastical but I'd still recommend it unreservedly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

aldantefax posted:

game bookshelf

I have a bookshelf in my office which contains all of the RPG stuff that I intend to keep (I've got a bin in the garage with some stuff I intend to get rid of but haven't gotten around to... for years...)

My organizing principles are, in order:
  • Fill shelves. Bookshelf space in my home is at a premium, I can't afford to leave empty shelf space just to keep things better organized.
  • Keep books that belong together, together on the same shelf, unless that would leave empty space.
  • Keep books for the same game or editions of that game in the same group, running left to right and upper shelf to lower shelf. Hence, "D&D" wraps around from the upper shelf onto the left part of the lower shelf.
  • Keep RPGs together, and minis games together.

I don't care, at all, about alphabetizing, because there's not enough books for me to ever have to spend a long time trying to figure out where a given book is. I also don't care, at all, about whether my organization would make sense or be usable for anyone else, because I'm the only one who ever uses this bookshelf.

The lowest shelf there has my white dwarfs, because I want them near my RPGs, even though I have a different place where I keep other magazines, and that highlights that for me, grouping by subject matters more than grouping by medium.
That shelf also bleeds into my non-RPG/Game books: it's the right amount of space to fit all of my books on home improvement, followed by almost all my books on making things (blacksmithing, woodworking, and reference material for both) - but I recently picked up some more woodworking books, which do not fit, so I will soon need to probably move the home improvement books somewhere else so that I can get the new woodworking books in here.

I think my organization priorities make sense as prioritizing both space usage and utility. When I'm thinking about minis and RPG stuff, I don't just only want to find the exact book I had in mind... I also want to see the books I have that are related, because they remind me of their existence and may inspire me to recall some related thing I want to look at or read about. I could well re-organize the middle shelf to put all the sci-fi stuff on one end and the fantasy stuff on the other, and that'd be just as sensible as putting star wars in between paranoia and champions; just depends on which axes of association you decide are paramount for you.

I will say that this shelf, as a physical object, sucks. It's a cheapo particle board shelving unit that I will eventually replace with good shelving. But utility trumps quality: I have this shelf, I don't have its replacement, and I want my books on a shelf today, not "eventually when I get around to it." When I put off utility for reasons like "it makes no sense to put in effort now because I'm going to be doing X sometime soon and I'll have to re-do this", "sometime soon" has a terrible habit of turning into years later or maybe never, and that's how I wind up discovering a cardboard box with stuff that's been in it since I moved 11 years ago and never made accessible. This is a weakness in my own personality that I have to fight, your mileage may vary a lot, so I'd abstract it for general use to "honestly assess your own tendencies and do what is actually going to give you the best utility and value for your time, money, and space."

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 8, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

drat, the bowing on them shelves.

Like Atlas holding up the sky.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Legacy owns. I love it. Running a rock solid campaign right now.

I find some of the math a little uneven, so it can break in places. I think this comes from the family game kind of incentivizing "board game think", really strategic non-narrative play. I don't think Legacy's rough-math-corners are any worse than other PbtA games, but I think it encourages a thinking style that drives players into those corners.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I did try to run Legacy 1st edition as a PBP and then it turns out my brain is mostly incapable of PBP and xian got very mad at me after looking forward to it, and that's my Legacy story. Cool system, I think, because anything that has to do with player agency in world building mechanics and engaging with the world in multiple entities is cool.

I also may have made a mistake since I think I just bought all of Runequest 4th Edition? Stay tuned for more "how to fit books in bookcase" adventures I guess

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

aldantefax posted:

I did try to run Legacy 1st edition as a PBP and then it turns out my brain is mostly incapable of PBP and xian got very mad at me after looking forward to it, and that's my Legacy story. Cool system, I think, because anything that has to do with player agency in world building mechanics and engaging with the world in multiple entities is cool.

I also may have made a mistake since I think I just bought all of Runequest 4th Edition? Stay tuned for more "how to fit books in bookcase" adventures I guess

I just put all the heavy books on the bottom shelf. That way there is less likelyhood of flipping stuff.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Josef bugman posted:

I'm sorry to interrupt pet chat, could I ask a quick question about a few games?

Specifically are any of the following games good:

Blood Red Blossoms- By Rooster games.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/248706/Blood-Red-Blossoms?src=also_purchased

ALL of the Legacy- Life Among the Ruins 2 idea packs- By UFO Press
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/283820/Legacy-Life-Among-the-Ruins--The-Engine-of-Life-Supplement?src=also_purchased
(included the above as an example)

Free from the Yoke- Also UFO Press
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/283821/Free-From-the-Yoke?src=also_purchased

The Wicked Ones- By Bandit camp
http://banditcamp.io/wickedones/

Yokai Hunters Society- By Punkpadour
https://punkpadour.itch.io/yokai-hunter

Thank you very much, and I am sorry if I chose the wrong venue to ask these questions!

Keep safe everyone.

I wrote a brief review of Yokai Hunters Society - the math seemed a little iffy to me but the concept was sound and well-executed in the page space it had.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

drat, the bowing on them shelves.

Like Atlas holding up the sky.

Yeah that's what particle board does under load. I have the tools and ability to make slide-in replacements in probably half an hour, but my woodworking ethos would force me to also properly sand and finish them, and then at that point I'd be halfway to just... rebuilding the shelves... which I would not do using the same construction method... so I should just make custom shelves.... uhhhhh that's project #eleventy-six on my list...

...so in the meantime, they will serve.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I have one of those 5x5 Kallax things all filled up with books but organization is super easy since it's like 90% core books. So it's just 1. Have I read it yet > 2. Alphabetical.

Though that still needs a sub shelf for boxes that are unreasonably large like Everway and DragonRaid.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMKtjgkmCvc

This is a super neat concept. I want to make stuff like this and just reserve some space to stage up minis for online use. I really miss the 3D aspect of gameplay since only Tabletop Simulator allows for that reasonably, and this would be a pretty neat way to do it, though I'm not sure how I'd handle any systems which require stringent grid combat other than just go "eh whatever, it's loving Paper Mario now, y'all"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So I'm actually curious. How many of us are in ongoing (or imminent) games & what are they?
Personally in delay limbo for a switch from Eclipse Phase to CPRED, plus an Over the Edge game that's starting soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm actually curious. How many of us are in ongoing (or imminent) games & what are they?
Personally in delay limbo for a switch from Eclipse Phase to CPRED, plus an Over the Edge game that's starting soon.
Running: Delta Green, my own OSR homebrew system
Playing: Rogue Trader, CP2020, Esoteric Enterprises