Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Varkk posted:

Is it possible to set an environment variable to specify where this should be placed and it defaults to somewhere under $HOME when it isn't set. E.g I remember having to specify BUILD_ROOT= at some point for some software. Might be different for each piece of software if they support an option like that.

usually that just defaults to somewhere inside the source tree.

Anyway... it looks like everyone posts while I'm sleeping.

Thanks for the feedback on preferred places to store all the junk. I don't feel so much like I've been fighting the power.

I've never figured out how to quote across pages. Re things being built in the home directory. First thing that comes to mind is netsurf. Download it to wherever. Follow the instructions. Then it goes and creates what I guess would be called a second stage build tree in the home directory.
Not necessarily the fault of the actual packages, but looking at my home directory for things I haven't culled yet there's x-tools(xtensa toolchain), opencv, and libtbb.

Then there's the story of developers doing things in their home directory and shipping like that. I think it was that media player for Raspberry Pi that had the developer's home directory project path embedded in the source tree.

On binding home directories. Yes, it's totally possible. On my Jetson nano I have /home bound to a directory on a USB HDD. There's still the original essentially default home directory in the original place so the system doesn't collapse in a heap if the USB drive isn't there at boot. Binding homes is just a subset of what you'd do to set up the homes on an nfs mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I'm on a Lenovo X1 Carbon G3 with Linux Mint Xfce 19.3 and sometimes my display randomly wakes up. I think there's some sort of notification bug or software waking the screen, but I can't find any logs to confirm it. I've also had this issue on another laptop with Mint Xfce, so I don't think it's hardware related. Is it possible to find out what makes my display wake up?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

afen posted:

I'm on a Lenovo X1 Carbon G3 with Linux Mint Xfce 19.3 and sometimes my display randomly wakes up. I think there's some sort of notification bug or software waking the screen, but I can't find any logs to confirm it. I've also had this issue on another laptop with Mint Xfce, so I don't think it's hardware related. Is it possible to find out what makes my display wake up?

I have the same laptop with Fedora and I swear the whole laptop powers up randomly

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

afen posted:

This is total shot in the dark, but is it some sort of "wake on lan" configuration?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

This is total shot in the dark, but is it some sort of "wake on lan" configuration?
Magic packets aren't rouuted, as they're broadcast addresses - so unless they're coming from inside the network, that doesn't seem likely.

It's a lot more likely that something is calling rtcwake(8).

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Bob Morales posted:

I have the same laptop with Fedora and I swear the whole laptop powers up randomly

This also happened with my old laptop running Mint

Famethrowa posted:

The laptop itself is not sleeping, it's just the display that's off.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Time to start system-level tracing.
I hope you have dtrace.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Has hell frozen over or something? NVidia is implementing proper Wayland support?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=428089#c2 (last reply)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hot take: the best shell command is `apropos`

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

:hmmyes:

There's also apropos -f, which has the synonym whatis.

Oh, and whereis, which is especially good if you need to check if the documentation matches behaviour.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

VostokProgram posted:

Good take.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

Has hell frozen over or something? NVidia is implementing proper Wayland support?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=428089#c2 (last reply)

So should I be hopeful that screen-tearing will be a thing of the past? Last I tried using X + NVIDIA proprietary led to a very terrible video playback experience, regardless of distro or kernel.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Apropos is just a wrapper for man -k, so man is actually the best shell command. An additional benefit is that man can find arguments to said commands, which is more likely than forgetting the name of the command itself. Apropos cannot do this.

Although, I usually just use fzf to fuzzy search my command history instead if I forget a long command that I've typed previously.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

zypper up --check

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Weaponized Autism posted:

So should I be hopeful that screen-tearing will be a thing of the past? Last I tried using X + NVIDIA proprietary led to a very terrible video playback experience, regardless of distro or kernel.
I don't know, that's why I'm asking. dmabuf alone doesn't make GBM, does it?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Have there been any laptops that have come out recently that are able to compete with an old ThinkPad for Linux programming use?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

xtal posted:

Have there been any laptops that have come out recently that are able to compete with an old ThinkPad for Linux programming use?

How about a new Thinkpad?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

xtal posted:

haven't used it myself but i would imagine the system76 stuff works well

mystes
May 31, 2006

xtal posted:

Any laptop that you like?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Pelosi's stolen laptop

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

haven't used it myself but i would imagine the system76 stuff works well

The Lemur is great. Very lightweight with about 12 hours of programming battery life.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Weaponized Autism posted:

It's been fine for a while, at least on my machines. Seems okay on my old Phenom II and 1060 6GB, and definitely is fine on my 3600X and 2070 Super.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

mystes posted:

Any laptop that you like?

Honestly, even new ThinkPads work well.

I’ve used the Lemur from System76 and it’s pretty good. I didn’t love the keyboard or trackpad otherwise it was serviceable.

Dell, especially the XPS that comes with Ubuntu is pretty good too.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I recommend staying away from asus gaming laptops, I haven't gotten the FN key to work on mine. A shame too because it's got a great keyboard and 8 ryzen cores in a pretty small package

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried the Purism ones?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lenovo just started selling thinkpads with Fedora preinstalled a couple of months ago, too - you could get a T14 Fedora edition if you live in the right country. (Which does not include Norway.)

I think I heard on a podcast that the linux editions are not identical - they use different Bluetooth and wifi controllers, or something like that. My AMD T14 bought with windows seems to work fine, though I don't exactly exercise the Bluetooth much. Sleep/hibernation is slightly unpredictable, but to be honest that is also the case in Windows.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Question that's probably dumb:
I have a Linux box with a pair of shared drives on it I use as a fileserver/torrent box. I'm going to be rebuilding this box and adding a couple of drives to it this week.

Is there a simple straightforward way to map these drives as folders inside of a parent folder so that I only need to share the parent folder to access everything from Windows? I.E instead of
code:
Storage
Archives
Torrents
all being seen as separate shared drives, just a single "drive" I can mount in Windows so it pops up as
code:
Mounted Shared Drive
|-Storage
|-Archives
|-Torrents
Will symlinks be enough for this to work? Apologies if this is a dumb question or worded unclearly, I tend to only learn Linux stuff as I need to use it

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

xtal posted:

Has anyone tried the Purism ones?

Not since the first gen. My cousin had one and it was a bit shoddily out together in our opinion.

I’m not sure if their manufacturing has improved as it’s been a few years.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

The Dell XPS laptops from 5-10 years ago that I touched at work tended to overheat a lot, to the point that some of the models actually destroyed themselves. They all tended to be lower build quality and end up with bits of plastic broken off them. I'd much prefer their business laptops like the Latitude or Precision lines, they seem to be better quality and still work after 10 years. I assume you get less performance for your dollar though, although I wouldn't actually know how much they cost.

I hadn't heard of System76 before, so I did a search for "system76 rebranded" (just on a hunch) and came across https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17039414 which says that at least in 2018 they sold a lot of rebranded Clevo laptops. I've had experience with exactly one rebranded (not by System76) Clevo laptop and it's okay but definitely low build quality. It's my wife's, and admittedly she doesn't take great care of tech stuff, but there are a few things broken on it now (power button needs to be pressed in just the right way, one USB port needs the plug at just the right angle) and she's never broken anything before, even on the cheapest Toshiba laptop available (the Toshiba cost about $350, the Clevo over $2K). Also she had someone else playing games on it when it wasn't plugged in to the charger and it just drained its battery extremely fast, making the laptop almost too hot to touch, and getting down to 0% and refusing to ever charge again, so I suspect their battery charging circuit isn't great and is possibly bordering on unsafe. This particular system is running Windows so it's not like the battery problem is due to having the "wrong", "unsupported" software on it.

Anyway I didn't fully read up about System76 using Clevo, you might want to do your own research. I found when I was buying the laptop for my wife that you could sometimes find equivalence information online saying that company X model Y of laptop is a rebranded Clevo model Z, and then you can look around for what people have to say about Clevo model Z.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Question that's probably dumb:
I have a Linux box with a pair of shared drives on it I use as a fileserver/torrent box. I'm going to be rebuilding this box and adding a couple of drives to it this week.

Is there a simple straightforward way to map these drives as folders inside of a parent folder so that I only need to share the parent folder to access everything from Windows? I.E instead of
code:
Storage
Archives
Torrents
all being seen as separate shared drives, just a single "drive" I can mount in Windows so it pops up as
code:
Mounted Shared Drive
|-Storage
|-Archives
|-Torrents
Will symlinks be enough for this to work? Apologies if this is a dumb question or worded unclearly, I tend to only learn Linux stuff as I need to use it

You can mount the drives in any folder you want, it doesn't have to be /mnt/Storage, it can be /FolderThatIShare/Storage if you want. Or wherever. Just need to update your fstab accordingly.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Volguus posted:

You can mount the drives in any folder you want, it doesn't have to be /mnt/Storage, it can be /FolderThatIShare/Storage if you want. Or wherever. Just need to update your fstab accordingly.

welp, as usual I was overcomplicating things. Thanks!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

welp, as usual I was overcomplicating things. Thanks!

this is the way of linux. everything is either simple, like this, or so absurdly overcomplicated that it takes a team of engineers to decipher the man page

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My Jetson Nano sometimes fails to boot. Where it seems to trip up is apparently beyond my comprehension. "Failed to mount /media"
Is there something I don't know about /media? As far as I know it's just a normal directory used to house mountpoints. Admittedly it is littered with empty directories with UUID names which I have never been able to work out the source of.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Gadfly posted:

Apropos is just a wrapper for man -k, so man is actually the best shell command. An additional benefit is that man can find arguments to said commands, which is more likely than forgetting the name of the command itself. Apropos cannot do this.

Although, I usually just use fzf to fuzzy search my command history instead if I forget a long command that I've typed previously.
This is not completely true - the original versions, written by Bill Joy in 1979, were completely separate utilities - and on FreeBSD they're still not just a command alias, as can be seen here:
sha512 /usr/bin/apropos
SHA512 (/usr/bin/apropos) = 35dab17217272827f5d022de1cca544092be4b6e7ab4dc253eb89ae8e180fc7d1203e22c1dd4f1fcb9bef110a6277fa273ac69a12ea52c6eee7e982dddf150af
sha512 /usr/bin/man
SHA512 (/usr/bin/man) = 7c4dd9aa71b2b67f591d7448f86595841b8ef4c8feff13d99a76828c4e2877d70eb554afec5609982ce30bd9e2e6cbf5f2d70df6fa2625f387680d56d0ce2622

This is in contract with csh and tcsh on FreeBSD, which is the same binary:
sha512 /bin/csh
SHA512 (/bin/csh) = 2afd8cdf78450d1fc06a418e077361e94893809bc4db108c974d1665ac2f90911e575284a5f646384f354aaec96bfabf056416276fac78865d98bec070d5ce25
sha512 /bin/tcsh
SHA512 (/bin/tcsh) = 2afd8cdf78450d1fc06a418e077361e94893809bc4db108c974d1665ac2f90911e575284a5f646384f354aaec96bfabf056416276fac78865d98bec070d5ce25

It's also interesting to note that the TENEX - which invented the idea of command completion and is where the t in tcsh comes from - is also the source of the a feature in tcsh that I suspect not a lot of people know about; the ability to type part of a command and then use the up-arrow to go back through the history of the instances of that command being used.
So perhaps it's a very early implementation of fuzzy command completion?

Volguus posted:

Yes, you can mount anything anywhere you want. Should you? Probably not.

I've mentioned it before, but hier(7) on the BSDs distinguishes between /mnt and /net for local and network mounts, respectively - and it's a very useful little thing to keep your system as closely-matching to hier(7) as possible, for consistency's sake.

RFC2324 posted:

this is the way of linux. everything is either simple, like this, or so absurdly overcomplicated that it takes a team of engineers to decipher the man page
Linux manual pages are written in some arcane language that is often completely indecipherable even to people like me who write manual pages.

As an example, take the watch(1) vs watch(8) on Linux and FreeBSD respectively.
Ignoring, for the moment, that they obviously do different things, the way the watch(1) manual page is written out in paragraphs (and doesn't list all of the options) makes it incredibly hard to use as a reference work, even if you assume every flag and option was enumerated, which they aren't.
This is in stark contrast with watch(8) where each option is enumerated with a .It Fl mdoc(7) macros - where It means a list item and Fl refers to a command-line flag or option.
Also, as an aside, watch(1) is a good example of how conversational language is sometimes used in documentation - and I like that notion so little, I had a small hand in getting rid of it in FreeeBSDs documentation.

General_Failure posted:

My Jetson Nano sometimes fails to boot. Where it seems to trip up is apparently beyond my comprehension. "Failed to mount /media"
Is there something I don't know about /media? As far as I know it's just a normal directory used to house mountpoints. Admittedly it is littered with empty directories with UUID names which I have never been able to work out the source of.
This is a good example of where hier(7) comes in handy:
/media
This directory contains mount points for removable media such as CD and DVD disks or USB sticks.

This makes me suspect it has something to do with autofs(8), but I don't know enough about Linux to be sure whether its functionality hasn't been consumed by systemd-userspaceeaterdautomountd or something else.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 10, 2021

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Linux manpages need some work. I have a server running OpenBSD and the manpages are actually useful. they often include useful examples. Also there's example configs for a lot of the base system in /etc/example (or something like that I can't check)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Buck Turgidson posted:

Linux manpages need some work. I have a server running OpenBSD and the manpages are actually useful. they often include useful examples. Also there's example configs for a lot of the base system in /etc/example (or something like that I can't check)
FreeBSD has examples from base in /usr/share/examples/, from third-party software /usr/local/share/examples/, and the Ports framework has a macro called @sample, which can help you create example files, but also helpfully reminds you that if you've modified the config file to be different from the sample file, you may need to remove them if you remove the software.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This is not completely true - the original versions, written by Bill Joy in 1979, were completely separate utilities - and on FreeBSD they're still not just a command alias, as can be seen here:

Oh okay. I've never used *BSD so I guess I should've clarified by specifying on modern Linux systems.

Edit: Just to clarify (and this is a genuine question and isn't rhetorical), is this thread about *BSD too, or is there a separate thread for that?

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 11, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Gadfly posted:

Oh okay. I've never used *BSD so I guess I should've clarified by specifying on modern Linux systems.

Edit: Just to clarify (and this is a genuine question and isn't rhetorical), is this thread about *BSD too, or is there a separate thread for that?

historically there has been plenty of BSD talk in here, and its not completely irrelevant

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've always considered BSD to just be a weird distro of linux anyway :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

historically there has been plenty of BSD talk in here, and its not completely irrelevant

Ah okay, thanks. Yeah it makes sense to not have separate *nix based system discussion threads, as there is some commonality between the systems.