Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

The good part of adult Digimon is the modern games.

I got Cyber Sleuth (complete edition for Switch) for crimbus and put 15 hours into it over the weekend, poo poo's good. Next Order was also amazing and I'm hoping Survive is 1) alive and 2) good if it comes out to continue this trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Are you kidding? Koichi was the only good character in that mess of a show. I agree the Royal Knights arc should've never happened but removing the only character that had an actually interesting set up and development would only make the series worse. Also the only time we've had a human protagonist actually just loving die. Being a human won't save you from the Leomon curse.

Okay, I was trying to figure out how to word that and chose the worst way. Kouichi is definitely a character with a good arc, but the endless melodrama of him and Kouji made the already long and plodding Sefirotmon/Sakkakumon? bit even longer and more unbearable.

Then, once that was over, he was more powerful that the entire team combined for exactly one fight and then was completely useless for the rest of the show.

Except for the part in your spoiler.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

womb with a view posted:

Yeah I thought that was weirdly antithetical to the ethos of Adventure, especially in Kizuna. I heard that Hiroyuki Kakudou left the production of it because he didn't agree with the direction it was taking, I wonder if that was part of it.

I feel like there's some amount of adolescence inherent to the themes of Digimon. I mean, the main partner Digimon literally fight by being Children who temporarily step up to the plate as Adults. Take a cast that's on the cusp of that stage of life in their own right, and the thematic resonance there could write itself! Hell, you could even have partner Digimon mature in the way lone Digimon do, eventually settling into their Champion form as their default state, as a kind of cap put on their tamer's growth being realized. I feel like that's way more compelling than just smashing the "magic goes away" button because gently caress adults I guess.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/SSJ3Metaridley/status/1344731805941960708?s=20

Happy new year everyone

EdgyCoffeeMug
Jan 11, 2019

Why aren't people liking Digimon 2020? It's loving awesome actually. like actually every episode is mind blowing, the music is great etc. all the digimon look so much cooler in this one.

from what I've read ppl are just complaining that not all characters are getting the same amount of screentime. so what? this was actually kind of what you should expect, like you realize even the beginning part already focused mostly on tai, matt and izzy right? so yea those are just the main focus this time. and imo they are the best characters anyway.

And it's not like this show is over yet. There are so many mysteries still left, so much that hasn't been cleared up yet, like what these new villains are, and against who the final fight will be. At the beginning they also talked about some war between digimon that was going on a long time ago. like what I'm trying to say is, even if you don't like it so far this will still go places. The story seems like it'll be way deeper this time than the original where it's pretty much just "bad digimon shows up while they're travelling" all the time.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

EdgyCoffeeMug posted:

Why aren't people liking Digimon 2020? It's loving awesome actually. like actually every episode is mind blowing, the music is great etc. all the digimon look so much cooler in this one.

I'm watching and enjoying the series, the problem for me is the sense that it could be so much better. Because it really could be, yes it is very flashy and the fights are good even in the mid budget episodes, and the soundtrack has been outstanding, but the problem is that right now it's leaning into the spectacle at the expense of other parts of the show. There is way too much style and not enough substance, and this is supposed to be a 66 episode series. Style alone can't get you that far.

quote:

from what I've read ppl are just complaining that not all characters are getting the same amount of screentime. so what? this was actually kind of what you should expect, like you realize even the beginning part already focused mostly on tai, matt and izzy right? so yea those are just the main focus this time. and imo they are the best characters anyway.

"It's the best you can expect?"

Um, no? It wasn't the best you can expect in Adventure 99, or Adventure 02, or Digimon Tamers, or Digimon Savers, or Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters which were all ensemble shows they gave plenty of time and attention to all of their characters. Even Digimon Frontier spent a lot of episode time on the secondary cast even as they were sidelined for the two chosen leads. And even as Goddamn dismal as Tri was even right up until the end they were running character moments with the whole cast. As astonishingly bad as Young Hunters was on many levels it ALSO had plenty of episodes about the secondary cast. Heck, even in Digimon Cyber Sleuth/Hacker's Memories you had a lot of scenes flesh out all the important NPC's you hung around with. This ability to use a large cast well has, in fact, traditionally been one of Digimon's strengths, something that showed up consistently even in many of the franchise's low points. The way they've been overvaluing Taichi is actually pretty aberrant for Digimon, the show it reminds me the most of so far is Xros Wars and that is sure some company to keep... So you're wondering why people are so down on the series for focusing on Taichi the exclusion of everyone else it's because it's rather disheartening that the the new and exciting and flashy remake of the original has let one of that original's cardinal virtues fall through.

And so what if the beginning only focused on Taichi, Yamato, and Koushirou? That doesn't excuse leaving out most of the cast once they got beyond it. That was in the first three episodes which were functionally a pilot movie, and the reasonable assumption would be that after they had redone Our War Game they bring in the rest of the characters and expand on the cast and do things with them. They did the former, not much the latter.

Also my favorite 99 characters included Mimi, Jyou, and Hikari so am I just out of luck here? Am I not allowed to point out all those characters haven't really done anything? And should I point out how little the show has actually done with Yamato compared to the original?

quote:

And it's not like this show is over yet. There are so many mysteries still left, so much that hasn't been cleared up yet, like what these new villains are, and against who the final fight will be. At the beginning they also talked about some war between digimon that was going on a long time ago. like what I'm trying to say is, even if you don't like it so far this will still go places. The story seems like it'll be way deeper this time than the original where it's pretty much just "bad digimon shows up while they're travelling" all the time.

No, it isn't over yet, you are correct. The concern, however, is that the show has gotten into the swing of things and properly begun as it means to go on. Once is a fluke, twice is a pattern, and we are now two for two in storylines that sidelined most of the cast to focus the lion's share of screen time on Taichi and maybe one or two other favored characters. Even if I really really like Taichi I think I'd be sick of it by now, and I'm only lukewarm on him and I would really love if the show would give some love to the rest of the cast.

No amount of plot can resolve a show's structural problems, and those structural problems are why people are worried about the show. A good plot helps a show, yes, but it's a very chicken and egg sort of proposition. Using your cast well often improves on a plot, but a plot is often improved by using its cast well. If the show had spent some chunk of its recent episodes on the rest of its cast while changing nothing else in the story I think you would see the show getting a completely different reception.

Also I would like to point out that so far "bad digimon shows up while they're traveling" has been the plot of about 85% of the episodes of Adventure 20 so far, so…

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I agree that the background hooks have been really interesting so far. I just wish the show'd slow down and expand on some of these background hooks more, especially when they have plenty of episodes to do so.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1344840778149842946?s=21

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Even with Taichi hogging screen time we haven’t gotten much good characterization out of him. Nothing even close to episode 21 of the original series.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ccs posted:

Even with Taichi hogging screen time we haven’t gotten much good characterization out of him. Nothing even close to episode 21 of the original series.

god that episode was sooo good

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

The reason I quit 2020 can be summarized in a sentence: Taichi got fuckin killed and they didn’t even talk about it after.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ccs posted:

The weird thing is that the main writer I believe has said that he's based on V-Tamer Taichi instead of Adventure Taichi, but that one also had a much more developed personality. So this series had two different yet equally good examples to follow and followed neither.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

EdgyCoffeeMug posted:

The show has several really good elements (the Mega transformation in the latest episode kicked rear end for example) but it's fatal flaw is that the writers don't understand how to write character arcs. Like, at all.

For example think back to when Tai make Agumon evolve into SkullGreymon in the original series. That didn't just happen. It was part of an arc where Tai had spent a while being an agro dipshit, obsessing over strength and forcing the gang to push themselves too far. This culminated in him forcing Agumon into what he'd wanted, something powerful before anything else and the results were horrifying. Tai's character informed the moment and in learning the hard way that there are more important things than raw power he was able to evolve the right way, giving the audience a physical manifestation of his growth as a character. It was a great moment and one of the most fondly remembered parts of the original run.

Now, think about Tai's fight with Devimon in the 2020 series. What was Tai's arc? Did he learn anything or grow as a person? No, the whole thing just sort of... happens. There was no setup for this moment like in the original series. Tai just randomly goes off the deep end because Takeru is in danger and then gets better because Angemon told him to chill out. Very little of the action is dictated by Tai's character, so while it was a cool moment in a vacuum, there was no underlying character work to support it the whole affair came off rather hollow.

Pretty much every major plot beat in this show has this issue. Why did Tai go Mega? Because it was a really hard fight and he decided to try harder. There was nothing beforehand to indicate he wasn't trying hard enough already, the show just decided he could try harder I guess. It's incredibly frustrating because the basic outline of the show is pretty interesting and a lot could be done with it in better hands.

Oh! And as a side rant this show desperately needs more sentient enemies. drat near every bad guy is a big animal or robot of some sort and it's SO drat boring. An animal is just an obstacle to overcome but a character provides you with an ideology to discuss and grapple with. Imagine how much better these last few episodes would be if the villains could actually talk and explain ~why~ they feel the need to hunt down other digimon. You could build a whole culture and world around that conflict but NOPE! Just random animals all the way down I guess.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 4, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I forget, if you discount Hunters (which I personally count as a sequel series considering it introduces a brand new plot, setup, and group of protagonists) is the finale to Xros Wars proper any better?

The second season of Xros Wars makes some dumb decisions like making one of the digimon sexy and doing casually sexist poo poo like not giving the female protagonist a proper gold evolution. That aside though it's a vast improvement on the first season on every level and I unironically enjoyed it from start to finish.

Hunters can eat my entire rear end though. Such a fantastic setup to a show just completely wasted...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

readingatwork posted:

For example think back to when Tai make Agumon evolve into SkullGreymon in the original series. That didn't just happen. It was part of an arc where Tai had spent a while being an agro dipshit, obsessing over strength and forcing the gang to push themselves too far. This culminated in him forcing Agumon into what he'd wanted, something powerful before anything else and the results were horrifying. Tai's character informed the moment and in learning the hard way that there are more important things than raw power he was able to evolve the right way, giving the audience a physical manifestation of his growth as a character. It was a great moment and one of the most fondly remembered parts of the original run.

Not for nothing but you are heavily misremembering the importance of Skull Greymon, that 'arc' is two-episodes. Taichi trying to take everything on due to getting the crest, and loving up evolving Agumon, and then the Pixiemon Cave in the very next episode. In fact, the previous episode was a Takeru episode, where they JUST arrived on Server and JUST got introduced to Etemon.

Now, in the novels this is actually a whole arc, and Taichi doesn't get 'better' until the Pyramid after Sora's directed the group there in an effort to drag him out of his funk. It's definitely not the end result of "Taichi being an aggro dipshit, forcing the gang to push themselves too far." Even the plot of that episode is the exact opposite, Taichi pushes AGUMON too hard by taking the lionshare of things, and the gang suffer from being hungry because Taichi overfed Agumon and in turn deprived the others of food.

Like I like the original series and I like Skull Greymon, but it comes out of nowhere and is resolved just as quickly in the original.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yeah full disclosure I last saw that episode well over a decade ago so you’re probably right.

I’m not saying the original series was perfect by any stretch, but it did *have* character arcs which is why I think the current iteration feels so lacking in comparison.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wuggles posted:

The reason I quit 2020 can be summarized in a sentence: Taichi got fuckin killed and they didn’t even talk about it after.

Well now I suddenly don't feel bad about holding off to try and binge the show and then just letting it get away from me and never watching it period. I had a feeling this was gonna be one of those too good to be true shows when I first saw it, and I guess that's kind of borne out, hasn't it? Sucks.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
They're being a little hyperbolic. He got vored not killed. But I agree that Matt should have talked to Tai about Machinedramon's rampage.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Adventure 2020 (so far) is about as good as Adventure 01 and 02 weer on average, which puts it head and shoulders about Frontier but below tamers and Savers.

A lot of the complaints in this thread about pacing and it spinning its wheels very much apply to that first show and a lot of the posts in this thread saying to the contrary have a real rose tinted feel about them where nostalgia is filling in a lot of the many many failings and gaps of the original show.(For example: See above with the SkullGreymon 'arc')

Yeah it's paced to poo poo and it is incredibly episodic and often delays characterization or arcs for most of the cast outside of 1-2 focus episodes in favor of focusing on Tai And YaMatto and that's increasing as the plot goes on? Yeah that's Adventure 01 alright. This time they just let all the kids get to Perfect tier before just dropping off instead of having to wait until half an arc later to give Mimi and Joe any real fight screen time (Before plummeting off the screen because they don't do much in the dark masters arc besides talk to Ogremon and run from Puppetmon) It did not have character arcs for most of the cast. They had a few focus eps each and then just kind of blurred into the background, to the point that I think Lilymon was useful in like 1 fight. Hell even in those focus eps half the time it was actually about matt or tai anyway Like in the diner episode where Matt actually secretly helping Joe the whole time and that's the big reveal of the ep.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 6, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A lot of the complaints in this thread about pacing and it spinning its wheels very much apply to that first show and a lot of the posts in this thread saying to the contrary have a real rose tinted feel about them where nostalgia is filling in a lot of the many many failings and gaps of the original show.(For example: See above with the SkullGreymon 'arc')
[...]
Like in the diner episode where Matt actually secretly helping Joe the whole time and that's the big reveal of the ep.

:ironicat: I think you should consider a re-watch yourself to shake off some of the rust of memory because the bit in bold isn't even close to what happens in that episode.

See the person who is secretly trying to help in that episode was Sora, and she only helped one time and just barely. The point of the episode was Yamato realizing he was being an incredible rear end to Jyou and believing the worst in him out of frustration for their situation. By the end Yamato WASN'T helping Jyou, in fact he was flagrantly turned against Jyou by the bad guys and said flat out he didn't want anything to do with Jyou ever again. His crest activated in that episode when he realized that despite all the horrible things he'd said and believed about him, Jyou STILL threw himself into danger to try and help Takeru, doing more for Yamato than Yamato had done for him. Garurumon evolved when Yamato realized that he was a really crappy friend and wanted to make amends.

And I note that there has yet to be a single episode of Adventure 20 that's a peer to that episode. We've gotten a couple of character episodes when they started rolling out the Perfect forms, but we haven't had an episode that was fully and completely about these people dealing with each other at their best and worst. There's nothing in 20 like Adventure 99's episode 21 which is a striking and moody character piece. And there's nothing like 02 episode 23, where Ken recollects on his life and tries to figure out who he actually is. Heck, we haven't even gotten things like 02 episode 18 where Miyako pushes herself irrationally hard because she's afraid she doesn't have a reason for fighting that's as good as all of her teammates, or the aforementioned 99 episode 16 with Skull Greymon which, as small as it was, did show Taichi to completely screw up.

And I think you really should rewatch Adventure 99, because it's a show with surprisingly good parity of characters. Yes, Taichi and Yamato got the strongest forms in 99, no the show did not overfocus on them like it's doing here. Yes, they were episodic, but they did way more with their characters as characters then Adventure 20 has been doing so far. At a bare minimum I would have expected that when Adventure 20 split the team they would have tried to have episodes explicitly about the real world cast doing things and focusing primarily on them. They didn't. And the reason why I would've expected that is because when Adventure 99 split their cast they ALWAYS had episodes devoted to every single group.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Omnicrom posted:

:ironicat: I think you should consider a re-watch yourself to shake off some of the rust of memory because the bit in bold isn't even close to what happens in that episode.

See the person who is secretly trying to help in that episode was Sora, and she only helped one time and just barely.

Also worth talking about is that is a result of a long-running 'arc' in 99. As Sora being in the background assisting the other Chosen is the lead into her evolving Garudamon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dog-fortress
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1346930529183137797
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1346967894471581697

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 7, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Literal Scope-Dog.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

That mon is dumb as hell. I like it

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
drat it Adventure: you know I can't take you back and then you go and bring me Komondomon.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I'm 3 episodes into rewatching the original Adventure to see how it holds up and the verdict is... kind of mixed? Overall I think I still like it more than the 2020 version.

The Dub is trash but I knew that going in. I don't hate the casting but I'd forgotten how many truly awful jokes they added in order to keep the characters talking constantly and a lot of the voice direction is really wonky. I'd be watching the sub but apparently that just doesn't exist even in fansub form which kind of blows. Fortunately it's not like one of the 4-kids dubs where the changes make the show incomprehensible so it's not a dealbreaker for now. Also the animation is kind of janky and in this respect DA2020 is much better by quite a bit. Though, I have to say the lack of lovely CG being used as a crutch in a way makes it weirdly refreshing (yes, I know that lovely CG is coming later in a big way). To the old show's credit though while it had shittier tools at it's disposal, I think it used the tools it did have more effectively than in the 2020 version where a lot of the less important action shots are just... not good. Also the general sequence of events being animated tends to be much more interesting in the classic version which counts for a lot.

On the positive side I have to say though that I kind of appreciate the "OK it's been 2 minutes, INTRODUCTIONS DONE YOU'RE IN THE DIGITAL WORLD NOW START RUNNING BITCH!" model of starting the story. It's clunky as hell but it hooks you instantly and then keeps you interested through the whole episode with quick pacing and very efficient storytelling (they introduce 14 new characters in 20 minutes which is pretty impressive). A bit too efficient actually. At times it feels like the show is being played in fast forward and it's really awkward. The characterization is really solid though, even in these super early episodes where the show is still finding it's footing which is making this an enjoyable watch despite all the issues. I'm having trouble articulating exactly why it works so well but you just sort of... like everybody and it doesn't feel like the writers are trying to force you to like them or convince you of how cosmically important they are like they do in the 2020 version. These are just some dorky-rear end kids who got dragged into some weird shenanigans and it's fun to watch them deal with their situation in a very organic way. It's not what I'd call sophisticated writing but it is fun to watch.

Also, I stand by what I said about DA99 understanding character arcs and DA2020 not understanding them at all. Episode 3, for all it's clunky dialogue and weirdly paced writing had a really nice emotional arc with Yamato going from thinking his brother is a pain, to trying to help him in secret by sending Gabumon to keep him warm, to finally openly expressing caring about him by playing the harmonica with him at the end. When I say DA2020 feels hollow it's because it's completely lacking in moments like that.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 8, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The subtitled version definitely exists, that’s how I rewatched Adventure about 10 years ago.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ccs posted:

The subtitled version definitely exists, that’s how I rewatched Adventure about 10 years ago.

Every series has been fully subbed, but the only ones available officially to my knowledge are Xros Wars/Hunters, Tri, Appmon, Last Evolution, and Adventure 2020

For some reason Savers isn’t even legally available in dub form unless I missed something.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 8, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

readingatwork posted:

I'm 3 episodes into rewatching the original Adventure to see how it holds up and the verdict is... kind of mixed? Overall I think I still like it more than the 2020 version.

The Dub is trash but I knew that going in. I don't hate the casting but I'd forgotten how many truly awful jokes they added in order to keep the characters talking constantly and a lot of the voice direction is really wonky. I'd be watching the sub but apparently that just doesn't exist even in fansub form which kind of blows. Fortunately it's not like one of the 4-kids dubs where the changes make the show incomprehensible so it's not a dealbreaker for now. Also the animation is kind of janky and in this respect DA2020 is much better by quite a bit. Though, I have to say the lack of lovely CG being used as a crutch in a way makes it weirdly refreshing (yes, I know that lovely CG is coming later in a big way). To the old show's credit though while it had shittier tools at it's disposal, I think it used the tools it did have more effectively than in the 2020 version where a lot of the less important action shots are just... not good. Also the general sequence of events being animated tends to be much more interesting in the classic version which counts for a lot.

On the positive side I have to say though that I kind of appreciate the "OK it's been 2 minutes, INTRODUCTIONS DONE YOU'RE IN THE DIGITAL WORLD NOW START RUNNING BITCH!" model of starting the story. It's clunky as hell but it hooks you instantly and then keeps you interested through the whole episode with quick pacing and very efficient storytelling (they introduce 14 new characters in 20 minutes which is pretty impressive). A bit too efficient actually. At times it feels like the show is being played in fast forward and it's really awkward. The characterization is really solid though, even in these super early episodes where the show is still finding it's footing which is making this an enjoyable watch despite all the issues. I'm having trouble articulating exactly why it works so well but you just sort of... like everybody and it doesn't feel like the writers are trying to force you to like them or convince you of how cosmically important they are like they do in the 2020 version. These are just some dorky-rear end kids who got dragged into some weird shenanigans and it's fun to watch them deal with their situation in a very organic way. It's not what I'd call sophisticated writing but it is fun to watch.

Also, I stand by what I said about DA99 understanding character arcs and DA2020 not understanding them at all. Episode 3, for all it's clunky dialogue and weirdly paced writing had a really nice emotional arc with Yamato going from thinking his brother is a pain, to trying to help him in secret by sending Gabumon to keep him warm, to finally openly expressing caring about him by playing the harmonica with him at the end. When I say DA2020 feels hollow it's because it's completely lacking in moments like that.

Sent you a PM about the subs

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So in a super weird coincidence unrelated to anything posted or PM'd to me a whole box of secret official subtitled Digimon episodes just fell off a truck right next to me and when I called to give them back the guy said I could totally keep them which was very nice of the man who was extremely real and cool. So now I'll be able to see the original version which is nice because while the dub is a neat nostalgia trip I don't know if I have 50+ episodes of it in me.

Anywho, yeah so my early thoughts on the subbed version... To the dub's credit it's basically the same show. All the same plot beats are present and most of the same information is conveyed including the character's names which aren't really changed as much as they're tweaked slightly for American audiences (which is a nice compromise for the time imo). This isn't an early DBZ situation where they had to aggressively hide information (at least not often) or a 4Kids One Piece dub where they basically created an entirely new show from the shredded remains of the old. It's basically the same exact show only... better in every conceivable way.

Much like how I knew the dub would be bad but was surprised by just how awful it was, this was kind of the opposite. I knew the sub would be better than the dub but was pleasantly surprised by a lot of what I found. There's quiet moments now! People shut up occasionally! Sometimes for several seconds in a row! I can't speak for the voice acting since I'm not a native Japanese speaker but it *seems* better to me at least!? Also there's real music now as well and it's pretty good! I mean, I didn't hate the dub soundtrack (probably because of nostalgia) but this is not only a step up from that but possibly also a step up from the 2020 version, which I like but it tends to stay out of the show's way rather than stand out most of the time. And yes, Butterfly is the far superior OP if you were wondering (I'm kind of meh on DA99's ED though. DA2020 has it beat there).

So yeah, the Sub addresses most of my gripes with the dub version to one extent or another. It's still a *bit* corny and awkward but without people filling EVERY SINGLE SECOND with bad jokes the show feels much more naturally paced and character conversations feel much more like real things people would say. It basically takes the show from "a good trip down memory lane if you're in the mood" to "a legitimately good show that's aged pretty well". The only thing that isn't terribly improved is the animation, for obvious reasons. Shots that look old and cheap in the dub still look old and cheap here. Credit where it's due, I think the dub touched up the video a bit in localization to make the colors a bit more saturated, which I appreciated, but unfortunately the dub version was also somewhat compressed and has all sorts of video artifacts all over the place and as a result looks kind of like rear end. I wondered why they didn't just update it with better footage from the original show at some point (the subbed version looks pretty clean even now) but then I started noticing lots of little changes in the footage and realized that the dub had actually edited the show in lot's of subtle ways ranging from replacing characters talking about events to actually showing them in flashback to zooming in slightly on shots for whatever reason. It's not terribly egregious but upgrading the video would be a much bigger pain in the rear end than just swapping one set of footage for another and calling it done. Anyways the takeaway is that the sub also somehow looks better than the dub as well, which is weird.

So yeah, good show so far. Very much looking forward to revisiting it. Maybe I'll post an update when I finish the File Island arc or something.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I cannot overstate my love for Butterfly.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

As you noted, the dub does do some cutting and changing, both in dialogue and in visual edits. It's nothing HUGE, but it is there and it did happen. There's a couple of paradoxically big small things that show up as the show continues, so keep an eye out for them. For instance they cut out a weird recurring thing from the second arc and I don't particularly mind because that bit went nowhere, but on the other hand they changed of a couple of details here and there that ends up making the show make a little less sense while in Tokyo. Not too many though, thankfully. If you watched the dub I'd say you've definitely seen something representative of the show unlike a couple of the notably bad dubs of the era (coughCardcaptorscough).

Honestly the parts of Adventure 99's dub that make it not as good (because it really isn't bad) are in the accumulation of little things here and there. The non-stop talking and jokes, a character talks who doesn't, dialogue is altered to remove reference to a thing or things, a plot point is glossed over...

And Boris Karloff Phantomon was an inspired adaptation choice and I miss him when I watch the original.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe I'll get lucky and that same truck will break down right outside my PMs my mailbox...

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

And Boris Karloff Phantomon was an inspired adaptation choice and I miss him when I watch the original.

What's that?
Oh, it's just a bird. A rather large bird, I grant you. A rather large angry bir-argh!!

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

02 was probably when the dub got to the levels that everyone hated.

There are some cuts made in Adventure though. Depending on what version of the dub you're watching, a lot of building destruction scenes were cut out post 9/11. There's an episode that has a lot of guns in it and it gets pretty mangled. A lot of impacts of punches and attacks are shortened or turned into white flashes.

My favourite sub moment that got super duper cut out in the dub was the episode of 02 that hinges entirely on Tortomon taking a massive piss.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Various digimon inexplicably being celebrity impersonators is a deeply important part of the Digimon Experience.

I don't know why IceDevimon sounds like Christopher Walken but I see no reason why he shouldn't.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

womb with a view posted:

I cannot overstate my love for Butterfly.

Yeah, Butterfly is an incredible song and for my money, the best Digimon opening (of the ones I've heard).

Readingatwork, make sure you watch episode 21 in Japanese first before you watch the dub, because there are some key differences.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Various digimon inexplicably being celebrity impersonators is a deeply important part of the Digimon Experience.

I don't know why IceDevimon sounds like Christopher Walken but I see no reason why he shouldn't.

Wait. The Tamers one? The one that was incredibly creepy to Ruki?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yes. And I liked the Preacher owl in the chicken Deva episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

Rudoku posted:

Yes. And I liked the Preacher owl in the chicken Deva episode.

The one in Tamers isn't voiced anything like Christopher Walken. It's just Michael Reisz's (Matt) standard voice

It's Frontier's dub that does the Walken impersonation with IceDevimon.