Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My favorite part of the gunfight is when they walk out of the bank, Val Kilmer is in a good mood, he looks up, sees the cops, and his entire demeanor and body language changes. Instantly. No moment of hesitation or doubt. He just start shooting. Rockin and rollin as Pacino said in the beginning of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i know its been said already (several times) but that scene in Heat is elevated so high by the sound of the gunfire alone. its so unique and it feels real (because it sort of was).

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

priznat posted:

God I loving hate I loving Love Science

I loving Love Scientist Man!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jose Oquendo posted:

My favorite part of the gunfight is when they walk out of the bank, Val Kilmer is in a good mood, he looks up, sees the cops, and his entire demeanor and body language changes. Instantly. No moment of hesitation or doubt. He just start shooting. Rockin and rollin as Pacino said in the beginning of the movie.

Yah so many little touches in that flick. I also like the scene with Wes Studi swapping his shotgun shells out for breaching rounds to shoot out the door hinges. And the drive-in scene where deniro just shoots thru the windshield because of course that makes sense but never really see people do that in movies/shows.

Man I felt bad for the getaway driver dude(Haysbert!), you get some slices of his life then everything gets lovely, then it gets worse :sigh:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

A while ago I had this Michael Mann book (I'm not even sure where it's at now) but I scanned a few pages for TFR once upon a time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Basticle posted:

A while ago I had this Michael Mann book (I'm not even sure where it's at now) but I scanned a few pages for TFR once upon a time.

Do you know the name of that book? I fuckin want it. Like right now.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Weirdo posted:

edit: all this michael mann talk, and no one posted the downtown heat shootout scene. Getting to see this on a big screen as a teenager was pretty loving tight. Michael Mann has always had great use of music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

God that's such a good scene!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you know the name of that book? I fuckin want it. Like right now.

Michael Mann by F.X. Feeney published by Taschen (a high end German art book publisher) It's out of print so the only one on amazon is $112 and theres one on ebay for $64 but this website has a used copy for like $26 shipped from Germany

*edit* theres a new, listed as "Sealed" one for $1699 on ebay :wtc:

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Heat also has the finest piece of acting Pacino's ever done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTpEoi0tzE

I think someone said once that he was coked up throughout this movie and I believe it!!!

Hackers film 1995 posted:

oh gently caress. you bastard!

:smug:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Basticle posted:

Michael Mann by F.X. Feeney published by Taschen (a high end German art book publisher) It's out of print so the only one on amazon is $112 and theres one on ebay for $64 but this website has a used copy for like $26 shipped from Germany

Thanks goon. I ordered that one from Germany!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Olewithmilk posted:

Heat also has the finest piece of acting Pacino's ever done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvTpEoi0tzE

I think someone said once that he was coked up throughout this movie and I believe it!!!

:smug:

I haven't read that, but I did read that Pacino said he played his character in Heat as though he was on cocaine a lot of the time, so maybe an interviewer just misunderstood the context :v:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks goon. I ordered that one from Germany!

I hope it's not too late or a problem but it's entirely possible that copy is written in German, idk :shrug:

*edit* checked the ISBN, that's the German-language version, oops

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I haven't read that, but I did read that Pacino said he played his character in Heat as though he was on cocaine a lot of the time, so maybe an interviewer just misunderstood the context :v:

I've gotten MUCH dumber during lockdown so I think I just forgot it was his character.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

He’s talkin about Ashley Judd too, star of several TNG episodes *Mike perks up*

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Basticle posted:

I hope it's not too late or a problem but it's entirely possible that copy is written in German, idk :shrug:

*edit* checked the ISBN, that's the German-language version, oops

Thanks for looking out for me. I cancelled it. It was either that or learn german.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

priznat posted:

God I loving hate I loving Love Science

Agreed. "Science gently caress yeah" people sure are passionate about what they believe to be the concept of science. Too bad they aren't passionate about actually learning any science unless it's dumbed down by a twee tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7CJrnaauHM

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You're a fan of science, huh? Name every thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

Agreed. "Science gently caress yeah" people sure are passionate about what they believe to be the concept of science. Too bad they aren't passionate about actually learning any science unless it's dumbed down by a twee tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7CJrnaauHM

And then they get convinced they are experts in it after watching a 2minute youtube clip, and it’s really annoying.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

They also fail to realize that science requires skepticism. They always want to champion a scientific theory as immutable fact. Not to say there are some scenarios where that is pretty much the case, but they treat every research paper as unquestionable fact.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah there’s definitely an internet crowd that worships at the altar of all of the superficialities of science but doesn’t really understand any of it. Star Trek: Discovery is the extreme example of this, because everything in it could be debunked by reading a few Wikipedia articles. Their stupid “Spore Drive” is the biggest example of this. Like some writer stumbled across mycelium and was like “my god the whole universe could be connected by fungus, gently caress yeah science, holy poo poo this is so deep!”

How can loving fungus propel a spaceship? What does it feed on in the vacuum of space? How can it bring people back from the dead? Do they realize that spores and mycelium are two completely different things? It’s so loving stupid, an elementary school student could torpedo the whole concept. You might as well just say The Force now exists in Star Trek. But Kutzman and company masturbate to this poo poo and pat themselves on the back over how they’re “inspiring women to enter STEM fields”.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 8, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Cant wait for the next Star Trek science consultant: a life hack Twitter feed.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Discovery is no more disinterested in actual science than any other Star Trek show my loving god people they took Spock’s brain out you absolute weirdos. Discovery has flaws but you’re all pointing at traditional, long standing aspects of Trek that have always existed since the beginning.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
spock: "i loving love logic!"

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Want these hack frauds to do a re:view of HEAT

Endless Trash posted:

Discovery is no more disinterested in actual science than any other Star Trek show my loving god people they took Spock’s brain out you absolute weirdos. Discovery has flaws but you’re all pointing at traditional, long standing aspects of Trek that have always existed since the beginning.

TOS didn't allow women captains, which I had totally forgotten until my last rewatch. I'd wager that was a suggestion of Majel Barrett, like not making Troi three-breasted.

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 8, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Endless Trash posted:

Star Trek had disinterest in science, yes. Having someone who literally says “I loving love science” as the science advisor goes beyond disinterest and into contempt.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Star Trek had disinterest in science, yes. Having someone who literally says “I loving love science” as the science advisor goes beyond disinterest and into contempt.

no it doesn’t

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Basticle posted:

I bought a copy of this ages ago, FYI it's only current to Miami Vice for all you diehard Public Enemies or Blackhat fans out there.

The only Mann film I haven't seen is The Keep which is a supernatural Nazi horror movie?? And apparently, not very good.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 8, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm something of a scientist myself.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Endless Trash posted:

no it doesn’t

That's a good point. Star Trek has always been the softest of soft sci-fi. They were only really "hard" sci-fi when compared to the literally-a-fantasy Star Wars franchise. I think that a lot of the nerd-wankery about Star Trek's science came more from the nerd culture wars of the 80s and 90s. When your nerd tribe's main distinction from the other nerd tribe (with the bigger budgets, more iconic characters, and cooler special effects) was that yours was more scientific, you absolutely ran that poo poo into the ground.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I will admit I did have the enterprise-D handbook but even as a kid I knew the scientific stuff was all bullshit. I just liked the technical diagrams.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Trash posted:

To be clear, I'm making fun of the notion of a "Science of Star Trek" show because the science of Star Trek is a complete joke, not specifically because of Discovery.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Endless Trash posted:

A lot of the sins of Abrams/Kurtzman Trek began in the late Berman-era. But, Star Trek in its heyday (especially TNG) had a ton a of real science in it even though it was never hard sci-fi. Warp Drives, antimatter reactors, even weird stuff like Romulan spaceships powered by black holes were all influenced by real physics. The show also consistently espoused rationality and adherence to the scientific method. Even when it took giant leaps into speculative/fantasy tech they created rules for it. People like Michael Okuda spent huge amounts of time mapping out the layout of the Enterprise D and how all of its systems functioned, making an entire technical manual that’s 192 pages long.

Discovery is just science fantasy written by idiots, with magic mushrooms and a universe powered by love. But the people behind it don’t have a single shred of self-awareness.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

infernal machines posted:

To be clear, I'm making fun of the notion of a "Science of Star Trek" show because the science of Star Trek is a complete joke, not specifically because of Discovery.
This still falls under the umbrella of “This Has Always Been A Thing”

Lawrence Krauss wrote Physics of Star Trek 25 years ago. There have been endless articles in science magazines about depictions of scientific theories on the show over many decades.

Also, this show is going on YouTube. So it’ll join the other trillion hours of YouTube content devoted to this very thing. Nothing new here.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

colonelwest posted:

A lot of the sins of Abrams/Kurtzman Trek began in the late Berman-era. But, Star Trek in its heyday (especially TNG) had a ton a of real science in it even though it was never hard sci-fi. Warp Drives, antimatter reactors, even weird stuff like Romulan spaceships powered by black holes were all influenced by real physics. The show also consistently espoused rationality and adherence to the scientific method. Even when it took giant leaps into speculative/fantasy tech they created rules for it. People like Michael Okuda spent huge amounts of time mapping out the layout of the Enterprise D and how all of its systems functioned, making an entire technical manual that’s 192 pages long.

Discovery is just science fantasy written by idiots, with magic mushrooms and a universe powered by love. But the people behind it don’t have a single shred of self-awareness.

Kirk and Spock have a dragon ball z battle with satan, but the idea that the multiverse is connected somehow similar to a plant/fungus/tree (something many cultures have believed) is just too beyond the pale. Okay.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Today on I loving Love Star Trek Science we're going to discuss the scientific basis of Q.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cacator posted:

The only Mann film I haven't seen is The Keep which is a supernatural Nazi horror movie?? And apparently, not very good.

there are a couple really cool things about that movie (specifically some effects and soundtrack) but mostly it is a bore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've always thought it was depressing that books as lovely as the Martian and Ready Player One got adapted by all-time directors then remembered Jaws and the Godfather aren't great books.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've always thought it was depressing that books as lovely as the Martian and Ready Player One got adapted by all-time directors then remembered Jaws and the Godfather aren't great books.

"But the book is always better than the movie"

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Martian doesn't deserve to get lumped in with Ready Player One, what the gently caress

Why do you always think such stupid thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Legin Noslen posted:

The Martian doesn't deserve to get lumped in with Ready Player One, what the gently caress

Why do you always think such stupid thoughts?

The Martian was not a good book, and the only thing that elevated it as a movie was the presence of Matt Damon.

edit: it wasn't as bad as RPO obviously.