Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Weren't Iris and Cilan just kinda... duds as far as travelling companions go? The only real thing I remembered about Iris was her rivalry with Georgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Weren't Iris and Cilan just kinda... duds as far as travelling companions go? The only real thing I remembered about Iris was her rivalry with Georgia.

I remember Iris and Cilan's catchphrases BOTH annoying the poo poo out of me. Also, I still remember Georgia freaking the gently caress out when Axew learned Outrage.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Iris and Cilan were bizarre, really, it’s the first and only time in the series they didn’t have one of the game protagonists in because Hilda was apparently just too cool for the show

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Iris and Cilan were bizarre, really, it’s the first and only time in the series they didn’t have one of the game protagonists in because Hilda was apparently just too cool for the show

Neither Ethan or Kris were in Johto though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Neither Ethan or Kris were in Johto though.

Yes, because they didn’t start doing that until May.

Kris didn’t even exist when Johto started.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also for some reason Iris wasn’t even a Gym Leader in the anime version.

Kind of a pity Hilda was never in the anime (that I remember anyway) because from her appearances in Masters and some other media she seems pretty cool honestly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes, because they didn’t start doing that until May.

Kris didn’t even exist when Johto started.

Sure, but Sun/Moon didn't have the protags either.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sure, but Sun/Moon didn't have the protags either.

Sun/Moon also went off the beaten path in about a half dozen other ways compared to the games

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think it's really more complicated than they wanted to do like the first season and have 2 of the game's gym leaders as the travelling companions.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

Iris had a cool Dragonite and I hope it comes back with Iris since Ash's Dragonite has a completely different personality.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think it's really more complicated than they wanted to do like the first season and have 2 of the game's gym leaders as the travelling companions.

Except as mentioned, Iris is not a gym leader in the anime version.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hilda not getting an anime appearance is a goddamn crime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

Hilda not getting an anime appearance is a goddamn crime.

Maybe they thought her personality was too close to Ash’s or something (though that didn’t stop them from later putting Hau in the Sun/Moon anime).

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sun/Moon also went off the beaten path in about a half dozen other ways compared to the games

Yeah and it was loving great as a result :toot:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean I've already pointed out two exceptions to the 'Gen V was the only generation they didn't use the protags in the anime'. I didn't like the series but it's hardly a unique case.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Iris had a cool Dragonite and I hope it comes back with Iris since Ash's Dragonite has a completely different personality.

I like it when they have characters with the same Pokemon but different personalities. May's Bulbasaur and Squirtle were pretty great, though them evolving offscreen and showing up for about 2 seconds when she returned was not.

Also I haven't been keeping up with the series at all but has James really not caught a single new Pokemon since Mareanie?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also I haven't been keeping up with the series at all but has James really not caught a single new Pokemon since Mareanie?

Yeah. Team Rocket's getting less action in general, and on top of that they got a new gimmick this season where they mostly get a gacha to fall from a Pelliper's mouth and use Meowth's head coin to do pulls and get 2 pokemon. Jessie did catch herself that turtle from gen 8, but it only ever shows up as one of the pulls. 2/3 (i think james and meowth?) are taking lead roles in the Shaman King anime this year, so it's unlikely that they'll get more screentime than what they're getting onw.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah. Team Rocket's getting less action in general, and on top of that they got a new gimmick this season where they mostly get a gacha to fall from a Pelliper's mouth and use Meowth's head coin to do pulls and get 2 pokemon. Jessie did catch herself that turtle from gen 8, but it only ever shows up as one of the pulls. 2/3 (i think james and meowth?) are taking lead roles in the Shaman King anime this year, so it's unlikely that they'll get more screentime than what they're getting onw.

I know Megumi Hayashibara (Jessie) will be reprising her role as Anna in that series at least but who does the other Rocket member you mentioned play though?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 10, 2021

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Team Rocket might end up catching the Morpeko that's been following them around and shaking them down for food. Even if they don't, it's this gen's pikaclone, so it'll probably stay a recurring character.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MorningMoon posted:

Team Rocket's getting less action in general, and on top of that they got a new gimmick this season where they mostly get a gacha to fall from a Pelliper's mouth and use Meowth's head coin to do pulls and get 2 pokemon.
Giovanni, seeing that "create-a-Pokemon" has failed and the scores of other failed legendary capture schemes from the movies, decides to break into the most direct yet most evil path to world domination: gacha games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

I know Megumi Hayashibara (Jessie) will be reprising her role as Anna in that series at least but who does the other Rocket member you mentioned play though?

Inuko Inuyama (meowth) will be Manta

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Inuko Inuyama (meowth) will be Manta

Ah right, I recognize the voice now. On that note, Shin-ichiro Miki (James) actually played a filler character in the original Shaman King anime but likely won’t be in the remake series.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is the new shaman king anime starting from the beginning? BEcause if so that teaser seems, really weird.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is the new shaman king anime starting from the beginning? BEcause if so that teaser seems, really weird.

From what I understand it’s basically a FMA: Brotherhood type deal where they’re remaking the series from scratch but only this time following the manga to the letter. As such I imagine so, yes.

Seems like they got nearly everyone from the original back except Yoh himself who is now being played by Yōko Hikasa.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The second pv is mostly stuff from the first episode, showing the first chapter stuff, so yeah, full on Brotherhood.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, Best Wishes cargo-cults early Kanto a lot. Ash goes back to being an idiot, Jessie and James go back to being the serious villains they were for all of one and a half episodes at the beginning of the series, etc.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, Best Wishes cargo-cults early Kanto a lot. Ash goes back to being an idiot, Jessie and James go back to being the serious villains they were for all of one and a half episodes at the beginning of the series, etc.

Ash wasn't an idiot in the OS, he was inexperienced

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, did Team Plasma and/or N ever even show up in Best Wishes? I know the debut episodes for the former got cut due to an earthquake (I think) that happened in Japan at the time.

If so, how well were they handled?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 10, 2021

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Larryb posted:

I forget, did Team Plasma and/or N ever even show up in Best Wishes? I know the debut episodes for the former got cut due to an earthquake (I think) that happened in Japan at the time.

If so, how well were they handled?

Yes, towards the end of the series. I’ve never been able to get far into Best Wishes but from what I heard, it was meh like most of late Best Wishes. I think Ash finally got to meet Giovanni in it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hopeandjoy posted:

Yes, towards the end of the series. I’ve never been able to get far into Best Wishes but from what I heard, it was meh like most of late Best Wishes. I think Ash finally got to meet Giovanni in it.

Ash met Giovanni in the Meloetta arc, much earlier, which used some assets from the canned Plasma episodes, and got ROFLstomped by persian

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

God I hate getting teamed up with idiots....tell me is like this for everybody on here when you have dynamax adventures? Or am I the one stuck with the absolute dumbest of the dumbs? Had every member of the team loving sabotage the endeavor.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Flopsy posted:

God I hate getting teamed up with idiots....tell me is like this for everybody on here when you have dynamax adventures? Or am I the one stuck with the absolute dumbest of the dumbs? Had every member of the team loving sabotage the endeavor.

Considering how often I see this very complaint, I'm gonna go with option 1) Everybody keeps getting stuck with dumbs.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just click the little ? for my post history

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I did, I strongly recommend against anyone else doing it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I usually get fairly good teams. :shrug: I'll get a bunch of idiots every so often, but usually it's smooth sailing for me.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vinylshadow posted:

Ash wasn't an idiot in the OS, he was inexperienced

I dunno, he was also very arrogant in the OS compared to nowadays. His character has definitely changed a lot and for the better in my opinion

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

mfcrocker posted:

I dunno, he was also very arrogant in the OS compared to nowadays. His character has definitely changed a lot and for the better in my opinion

The big thing is, Ash forgot TYPE MATCHUPS in Best Wishes, and brought only ONE POKEMON to Elesa's gym thinking it was all he needed...and had to have Attract explained to him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wasn’t really a big fan of Jessie and James suddenly becoming super competent/serious (to a degree) in Best Wishes as well. I’m guessing the writers felt the same way since they were back to normal by the very next season.

That said, I do love the fact that whenever they’re not trying to be evil they actually can be pretty successful at times (as showcased in Sun & Moon).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 11, 2021

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Larryb posted:

I wasn’t really a big fan of Jessie and James suddenly becoming super competent/serious (to a degree) in Best Wishes as well. I’m guessing the writers felt the same way since they were back to normal by the very next season.

That said, I do love the fact that whenever they’re not trying to be evil they actually can be pretty successful at times (as showcased in Sun & Moon).

Even at the time I’m pretty sure the writers knew it, because there was a radio show “hosted” by the TRio that aired partway through BW and one of the jokes in the first episode or so was them complaining about their lack of jokes and screentime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Even at the time I’m pretty sure the writers knew it, because there was a radio show “hosted” by the TRio that aired partway through BW and one of the jokes in the first episode or so was them complaining about their lack of jokes and screentime.

In that case I’m curious why they even bothered changing them up for that season in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

In that case I’m curious why they even bothered changing them up for that season in the first place.

Because Best Wishes was awful.