Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I... might have been in the first 3rd of the episode when I posted that. It definitely get worse and kinda went nowhere.

Not sure if I like it more or less than ˇViva de Los Muertos!. At least that episode gave me and my coworkers a reason to yell "PROSTITOOO" across the store at each other. This was later replaced by "SPANAKOPITA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the episode where they crash in unterland is worse.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Cojawfee posted:

Yup, easily the worst episode

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fartington Butts posted:

I... might have been in the first 3rd of the episode when I posted that. It definitely get worse and kinda went nowhere.

Not sure if I like it more or less than ˇViva de Los Muertos!. At least that episode gave me and my coworkers a reason to yell "PROSTITOOO" across the store at each other. This was later replaced by "SPANAKOPITA"

Viva de Los Muertos owns extremely hard, though. The Mystery Machine but Killers thing landed so well for me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Docs disgusted reaction to her being epileptic always gets me. It just so dumb.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I like Via Los Meurtos so much I made one of it's lines my username.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

hughesta posted:

Yup, easily the worst episode

Wait a minute... the cat hairs in my water! OF COURSE!!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Wait a minute... the cat hairs in my water! OF COURSE!!

It has enough low points and high points no episode is unwatchable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

It has enough low points and high points no episode is unwatchable.

Except Doctor Quymm. It’s the only episode I skip every time. I do skip What Color is Your Cleansuit sometimes, but not every time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Doctor Quymm episode has 'it used to be "go Team Venture!" now it's "Go Team... Boobies!"' which will always get me. Plus the Venture key party and the stinger with the natives sitting in their living room.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The unterland one isn't as terrible as I remember it, but it's still the "worst" episode in my opinion. I don't like the Underbheit character. He's just gross and ruins any episodes he's in.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The Ünderland (GAH! I made an umlaut) episode doesn't age very well because it relies a lot on the early 00's humor of "that's gay!"

Doesn't mean I don't love the two eunuchs. "I'm fixed. What's your excuse?"

Since I've been doing a rewatch. I noticed by the 3rd season they've gotten rid of a lot of the gay and r-word humor. I had also forgotten about the weird animation errors like Alchemist's purple hair and Dr. Girlfriend's completely green eyes.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 9, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The unterland one isn't as terrible as I remember it, but it's still the "worst" episode in my opinion. I don't like the Underbheit character. He's just gross and ruins any episodes he's in.

You have succeeded in exposing my sinister plan to lock myself in a dungeon, chained to an albino. It's such good delivery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fartington Butts posted:

Since I've been doing a rewatch. I noticed by the 3rd season they've gotten rid of a lot of the gay and r-word humor. I had also forgotten about the weird animation errors like Alchemist's purple hair and Dr. Girlfriend's completely green eyes.

It's probably the biggest flaw the show has. Because it is from the mid 00's, it has a bunch of the lovely edginess that was around then and it's all front loaded. So someone just getting into it now has to push through all that stuff in order to get to the later stuff that pushes back against that kind of thinking.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Is that the one where it turns out Unterland borders Michigan because I do like that joke a lot.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is that the one where it turns out Unterland borders Michigan because I do like that joke a lot.

Yup

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

pixaal posted:

You have succeeded in exposing my sinister plan to lock myself in a dungeon, chained to an albino. It's such good delivery.

It is oregano! You've been smoking a lie you tiny fool!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Dr Quymm episode rocked. "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner" was probably my least favorite, with maybe "Perchance to Dean" after that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I quite like State Dinner, just for "we make a gun out of pennies!" and the club soda line at the end.

I don't think there's any outright bad episodes, at worst I'd say I'm slightly indifferent to Dr Quimm.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I think Perchance to Dean is my favorite, though some of the early season 1 episodes are pretty rough as well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I think Perchance to Dean is my favorite, though some of the early season 1 episodes are pretty rough as well.

Season 1 is pretty uneven but the highs are so drat high. Tag Sale You’re It and Ghosts of the Sargasso are some top-tier episodes and perfectly nail what the series was going for, which is rare for the first season of a comedy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Fartington Butts posted:

The Ünderland (GAH! I made an umlaut) episode doesn't age very well because it relies a lot on the early 00's humor of "that's gay!"

Doesn't mean I don't love the two eunuchs. "I'm fixed. What's your excuse?"

While Dr. Orpheus and Triana are temporarily living with with Al, she's seen dying his hair purple. He wanted purple hair. It wasn't an animation accident. It was an animation intentional.

And I didn't hate the Dr. Quimn episode as much as you all seem to. No, it's not one I ever go out of my way to watch, but it's not all that bad. It has its moments. (For me, the worst one is "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner," which also has its moments, but there are fewer of them.)

And as for the daughters being nymphos... huh? They're teenage girls who only ever hang out with their mom and her big-rear end bodyguard. They've hit puberty. Now, there are boys who are their age in their camp, and they're cute. Just because they want to make out with Dean, that doesn't make them nymphos. Dr. Quimn and her daughters don't get any more sex-creepy than Doc does routinely, or Dean does for Triana, or Hank does... well, also routinely, I guess.

What makes that episode less enjoyable for me is Dean's over-the-top problems as the episode plays out. I get that his attitude throws a spanner in the works of all of the crushes that form the basis of the plot of the episode, but as the episode drags on, he gets more and more annoying.

And, it was nice to see Doc have a few moments of happiness. It's like "Spanikopita," another episode I'm not a huge fan of, but another one worth it for me because Doc is just happy.

Of course, I like Quimn a lot less than I like Spanikopita.

Wait, that didn't come out right....

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's been a minute since I've seen it but don't the twins pin dean down while stripping. That's pretty horny.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

It's been a minute since I've seen it but don't the twins pin dean down while stripping. That's pretty horny.

Yeah, but it doesn't make them nymphos.

And it's not all that much worse than pretty much every on-screen interaction Doc has with most women. Just think about all those times he's trying to "romance" a woman.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Doc is dumb as hell because he encounters a few women who throw themselves at him and he freaks out because of the slightest flaw. Then he gets hung up on people like "Charlene". Or Dolly Parton. Meow.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

State Dinner is worse than the Dr. Quimm episode because Manstrong is just so goddamn annoying. I got enough of him on Gargantua One, I didn't need seconds.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pershing posted:

State Dinner is worse than the Dr. Quimm episode because Manstrong is just so goddamn annoying. I got enough of him on Gargantua One, I didn't need seconds.

State Dinner has the ghost of Abe Lincoln, Quymm doesn’t have any high points like that. Maybe Brock being depressed about a new personal low but for the low points of State Dinner it at least has stuff I like. I can’t say that about Quymm

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Doc rolling down the windshield of the Land Rover is the best Doc gag in the series.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Dr. Quymn helps set up Col Gentleman's return by punching Rusty in the face. :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fartington Butts posted:

Doc is dumb as hell because he encounters a few women who throw themselves at him and he freaks out because of the slightest flaw. Then he gets hung up on people like "Charlene". Or Dolly Parton. Meow.

Pretty normal for lovely insecure guys out of touch with reality, incel types especially. He's trying to be a ladies man like his dad, and as a result has all the lovely behaviour with none of the charm, as well as not getting why that behaviour isn't at all appropriate- or effective- anymore.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fartington Butts posted:

Don't forget Lindsay Wagner.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sash! posted:

Doc rolling down the windshield of the Land Rover is the best Doc gag in the series.

It’s waaaaaaaay up there. I laugh every time.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Gaius Marius posted:

Docs disgusted reaction to her being epileptic always gets me. It just so dumb.
It feels extremely on-brand for Doc to be disgusted by some one being epileptic. He would get all defensive about it if you called him on it, too.
Just a great thing to keep in mind when he asks if he's a bad guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's also the "Spanish Fly" aspect of Operation PROM. Just because it blew up in his face doesn't excuse Rusty from drugging a bunch of women. Women who had every intention of killing everyone in the room, but still. :shrug:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's also the "Spanish Fly" aspect of Operation PROM. Just because it blew up in his face doesn't excuse Rusty from drugging a bunch of women. Women who had every intention of killing everyone in the room, but still. :shrug:

He didn't know they were there to kill him which makes it a problem.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hunt11 posted:

He didn't know they were there to kill him which makes it a problem.

Don't forget about the additional wrinkle that he thought they were prostitutes so he could get away with doing something like that because "ha ha evidently sex workers don't need to be treated with dignity." :staredog:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't forget about the additional wrinkle that he thought they were prostitutes so he could get away with doing something like that because "ha ha evidently sex workers don't need to be treated with dignity." :staredog:

Yeah it is a good reminder that doc is lowkey a horrible person.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You aren't supposed to aspire to be Rusty he negative traits are shown in a negative light. It's fine for a character to have bad qualities. Actively condemning them even, like when Monarch drops a hard R and gets called out instantly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Counterpoint it got us the like a friend montage, which is the best licenced music montage of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pixaal posted:

You aren't supposed to aspire to be Rusty he negative traits are shown in a negative light. It's fine for a character to have bad qualities. Actively condemning them even, like when Monarch drops a hard R and gets called out instantly.

His response to being called out is even “I’m a bad guy!”

Ironically the monarch is probably a better person than Rusty, which is my favorite part of the show. He is, unambiguously, a bad guy. Especially early on. But unlike rusty he’s actually able to relate to people and changes a lot for the better over the series.