Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

catlord posted:

"So anyways, sorry about my article being late and written on strips of bark, but that's how I ended up waging a guerilla war against my dad and the Feds from the relative safety of the Everglades."

Fear and Loathing on the Mark Trail rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bernice is the anti-Axa.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Why is Luann friends with Bernice, again?

The Dinette Set smelt it.

Working Daze needs to just let this character die.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is high-impact comedy.

Cul De Sac has a happy ending (I hope).

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Exhausted as hell, so here's my minimum RDA of comic strips...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 12, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 11, 1937)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Julet Esqu posted:

We talk about how the young adult characters in Luann have a middle-school level of sexuality. But even as a sheltered super-churchy middle schooler, I was capable of saying to my friends, "Don't you think Jason is cute? I think Jason is cute. I have such a crush on Jason." I would never in a million years have confessed my feelings to Jason, but that's a different issue.

Bernice isn't even able to admit TO HER LIFELONG BEST FRIEND that she is attracted to a boy. I know it's a cliche that psych majors need the most therapy, but yeesh.

I kind of like Jack so I hope they don’t actually go anywhere because if so, he’ll be yanked out of existence the moment they’ve had uncouth relations, just like Piro.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BigglesSWE posted:

I kind of like Jack so I hope they don’t actually go anywhere because if so, he’ll be yanked out of existence the moment they’ve had uncouth relations, just like Piro.

Uncouth relations with Piro? She kissed him, once, after months of her being weird, then decided there wasn't anything there. Like everything else with Bernice, it was bizarrely chaste and treated as being hugely scandalous.

Jack's weird because he is pretty decent as far as Luann characters go and unlike the other decent characters, he's apparently supposed to be a decent, likeable guy. So, I totally agree with you.

God, Luann's so weird.

goatface posted:

Bernice is the anti-Axa.

The only thing missing is the occasional burst of competence to match Axa's occasional bouts of incompetence. I'd like Bernice more if she occasionally whipped out a sword and went to town on some dudes, that's for sure.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

if you had a second one, why didn't you just go get it as soon as the first one broke?!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The Bloop posted:

I was also considering I Am A Strange Boop

You are a strange Bloop.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wait, was the letter Axa had really for the underwater dome people? I thought it was for some country across the sea, not under it. Or did she just decide to dump the letter off at the first dome she came to?

I'm also noticing a pattern of Axa constantly needing to be rescued by guys...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Saoshyant posted:

Here's the follow up Sunday strip for that 70's story, because it's worth knowing what this story is going to be about.

Are you ready? It's Disco. The whole episode is going to be about Disco, with John Romita drawing period clothing and Stan Lee trying to do hip dialogue.

And it rules!

Bonus: Who thought this illustration should go with this poem?

Also spotted in the ads:

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SubNat posted:

It's just a constant running theme in so many of his strips that characters just... decide and do things for other characters without their say or consent.
And no matter the outcome, or how bad a thing they acually do, it's always glossed over for the next thing. Because the characters are the good guys in the strip.

Something I notice in this running theme is that it's always friends or family members doing this to each other, and they do it with the express knowledge that they'll benefit greatly from it (See: that time DNA Wizard said her friendship with the mermaid was so she could study her) Classic K&K being posted really highlights how that element has always been there. Holbrook writes his comics with a protagonist-centric morality, so you can literally get away with anything as long as you're considered a good guy.

Good Listener posted:

Isn't she also his wife or am I thinking of a different character?

You're right, this is that same character.

Here's a strip from the previous thread that states she's the kid's mom, which yeah, makes her this guy's wife. Also note that she's already trying to monetize her own daughter, who also has no clue what she's getting signed up for.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't forget also pointing out that he's not good enough to be a lead on the show she just signed him up for without his knowledge or permission.

Not only that, she's aware her own husband wouldn't be a good host for a show so she also signed up her own daughter to be his co-host without asking if she's fine with it. There's layers of :wtc: with this strip.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (December 7-11, 1998)

1. I love that Vin being loving dead doesn't merit any mention besides "he gave us food poisoning as a parting gift."
2. You're a poo poo, Kell's Dad. This hits especially close to home because I've almost been disowned after coming out, before managing to mend things with my parents, so...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol my mom got removed from grandpas will for not loving Trump. Her brother the peace maker said just wait till kicks the bucket he’d do the right thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ukonvasara posted:

if you had a second one, why didn't you just go get it as soon as the first one broke?!

Because for the regressive sacks of poo poo that boomers are, they have thoroughly absorbed the idea of "owning" your enemies from millennial culture.

Tom Batiuk seems like the kind of dickhead who has a Parler account so he can DM the guy who writes Dustin.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

In the comic the blizzard seems to be a random event, but in the book Elias presents his magic trinket, a piece of rope that has knots. It has three knots left and one by one he opens them all. The first gives him a good wind, the second raises a storm and the third summons a massive blizzard (according to the book an extraordinary huge September storm in 1721 was a real event).

Weirdly Elias' father had gotten this rope trinket from Black Jaana, the witch from an earlier book, but her story made it pretty clear, that she didn't know actual magic and just let the people believe so to earn her living.

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/9/01

Brenda Starr 5/27/45

Pesky apparently takes his fashion cues from Jimmy Olsen.

Smokey Stover 3/30-4/1/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

"Varlet parking." "Juche bar." Not bad.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait, was the letter Axa had really for the underwater dome people? I thought it was for some country across the sea, not under it. Or did she just decide to dump the letter off at the first dome she came to?

I'm also noticing a pattern of Axa constantly needing to be rescued by guys...

I think her orders were just "go find a suitable civilized people across the sea" and she decided this was the place.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Dustin could be a salvageable comic if it kept the tone it’s had for the last pair of strips. A more boring, toned down Zits.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

I think her orders were just "go find a suitable civilized people across the sea" and she decided this was the place.

Come to think of it, why is Axa even taking orders from the Dome Director anyway? He did that whole "I will grant you freedom if you do this for me" spiel, but Axa's been all about fighting for her own freedom so she really shouldn't have accepted that.

Yes, I know the answer is because Axa is basically Apartment 3G-levels of feminism, but still.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Even the nice Dustin strips are marred by his weird relationship with the neighbor kid. Why is he at a game with Dustin and Ed? Why is he hanging out with Dustin's friends all the time?

They should have made that character his little brother or something. poo poo, they still could - we don't care anything about his parents, just kill them off screen and let the Kudlicks adopt him

Or I should just not give Dustin more thought than it's worth

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's Dustin's.

If the strip was entirely different they could really lean into it and have him be from a troubled home, with Dustin voluntarily acting as his stable family (because CPS refuse to step in) and Ed constantly complaining that foster families should be getting paid.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (January 8, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (February 9, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 10, 1935)

Dark Laughter (August 5, 1939)

“Here comes the feller who give Bootsie that hot tip about the fight. He got Boots to lay it all on Galento.”
http://www.boxing.com/tony_galento_vs._joe_louis_1939_ill_moider_da_bum.html

Mopsy Sunday (November 3, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (May 13, 1950)

“These people got their NERVE askin’ me what I wanta do when I grow up - How do I know they won’t tear up the world before I get married?”

Dinky Fellas (April 1, 1965)

Wee Pals (April 1, 1965)

:wom:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits :staredog:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
OH, OKAY

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Bloop posted:

Even the nice Dustin strips are marred by his weird relationship with the neighbor kid. Why is he at a game with Dustin and Ed? Why is he hanging out with Dustin's friends all the time?

They should have made that character his little brother or something. poo poo, they still could - we don't care anything about his parents, just kill them off screen and let the Kudlicks adopt him

Or I should just not give Dustin more thought than it's worth

Apparently Dustin is a member in Big Brother program. I couldn't find a first hand source, but google has some hits for that in various comments.

Also learned that Hayden is named after Kelley's son.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (May 27, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 16-17, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(May 9, 2018)

(May 11, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

amigolupus posted:

Come to think of it, why is Axa even taking orders from the Dome Director anyway? He did that whole "I will grant you freedom if you do this for me" spiel, but Axa's been all about fighting for her own freedom so she really shouldn't have accepted that.

Yes, I know the answer is because Axa is basically Apartment 3G-levels of feminism, but still.

She really should have just nodded and then hosed off as soon as she was outside.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Wow, so Zits is just doing the work for us at this point, huh?

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a lot of things to "be" in this Curtis but I think I'm the Ed Sullivan style "introducing" on a rap video Curtis is ostensibly watching on the internet in 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It looks more like spoken word art performance, so it could be part of the bit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

To give Piraro some credit, those are pretty accurate portraits. (Rorschach looked surprisingly like Brad Pitt.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

(Rorschach looked surprisingly like Brad Pitt.)
Although to be fair, not everyone sees that in him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Addams and Evil - 1947

More later, gotta get scanning!