Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Beamed posted:

Where do people see the inner cauldron mechanic at all? Sorry if I'm just being blind HOW AM I STILL SO BAD AT THIS GAME

Mouse over the EMPTY on the cultivation screen of your core shaping disciple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Beamed posted:

Where do people see the inner cauldron mechanic at all? Sorry if I'm just being blind HOW AM I STILL SO BAD AT THIS GAME

Going to echo this. My sect just got murdered by a golden core bull demon thing in the corner of the map.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Beamed posted:

Sorry if I'm just being blind HOW AM I STILL SO BAD AT THIS GAME

You just need to go into closed door cultivation with it for a decade or two.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Obtuse interlocking mechanics behind nontrivial language and cultural barriers AND it desperately needs another UI pass. Rimworld's modding community stepped up and fixed a bunch of pain points with the game; that'll be a much slower process here because of localization headaches.

I'm not saying it's a bad game; it's really fun and kinda reminds me of Caves of Qud; both reward mechanics mastery with letting you break the game over your knee. But there are some pretty real barriers to entry.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Your Wutang is weak.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
The cultivation simulation world operates according to the law of the jungle.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Havent played this in 6 months, when I launch the game it says new version 1.15 available, I'm on .99 something. How do I update it though? I can't see any steam option to do so? Or do I need to opt out of the english beta? Is english out of beta now?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Havent played this in 6 months, when I launch the game it says new version 1.15 available, I'm on .99 something. How do I update it though? I can't see any steam option to do so? Or do I need to opt out of the english beta? Is english out of beta now?

Opt out of the beta. The English translation is part of the full release now, and I had annoying UI bugs until I did that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Xand_Man posted:

Obtuse interlocking mechanics behind nontrivial language and cultural barriers AND it desperately needs another UI pass. Rimworld's modding community stepped up and fixed a bunch of pain points with the game; that'll be a much slower process here because of localization headaches.

I'm not saying it's a bad game; it's really fun and kinda reminds me of Caves of Qud; both reward mechanics mastery with letting you break the game over your knee. But there are some pretty real barriers to entry.

In discord, we had a group helping with translation.

The UI probably will not change. It is easier for languages with more characters to adapt to languages with less characters than the other way around.

But we did try to help a bit. Some people on the fan volunteer translation team were not so good though, especially the guy who kept talking about his boss or professors from university and how superior british english is over american english.

But as far as chinese translated games go, this is pretty good for a game coming from china.

Another game I played replaced the error message 'You can't do that' with 'Please follow the lady to the guestroom' and no one understood anything for like 5 months.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TFW you used to be so excited to suck up 100k inspiration from your towns, but now you dont even want to send someone on an adventure for less than 5 million

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Third World Reagan posted:

But we did try to help a bit. Some people on the fan volunteer translation team were not so good though, especially the guy who kept talking about his boss or professors from university and how superior british english is over american english.

i remember that guy, game still owns tho

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
I've just started and can't seem to build a furnace. I have a stonesmith etc, is it just a matter of waiting? Hard to find a solid answer about this online.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
When you place a building, you also choose what material you're making it out of. Make sure you're choosing a material you have. You may need to order your stonesmith to produce bricks out of the material first. If you have the materials and an outer assigned to building, then you just need to wait.

If you have very few outers they may get bogged down with other tasks. I recommend recruiting up to your sect limit to help with this. The penalties for dismissing sub-par recruits is negligible, so you can always dump them later.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

The discord people have been doing an amazing job. Kanna-Chan is a translating machine and everyone has been incredibly patient in responding to an endless stream of newbie questions.

TBC I'm saying 2 things:

1)Speaking as a gweilo, there are some unavoidable hurdles in grasping this game. That's fine and natural; it's just silly to beat yourself up about it. Becoming a better Fighter (train, beat up tough opponents) or Wizard (get more spells/ magic items, etc) is intuitive to us in a way that getting a Tier 1 Golden Core is not (unless you are familiar with niche Chinese genre fiction)

2) There's a need for more mods that automate away some of the brainless busy work. This is more UX than UI I suppose. Something as simple as "Here' s the default work assignments" would save a lot of clicking.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
New update in two days: Cape and Spirit Contract! :sparkles:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Are there mods to make it automatically unban poo? Or to make the RNG a bit more generous for body cultivator remolds?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

What sort of items should I be trying to gift to the heads of sects? Like, should I be trying out a wood log and brownstone block with everyone, or is there lost of items they're likely to accept?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bug Squash posted:

What sort of items should I be trying to gift to the heads of sects? Like, should I be trying out a wood log and brownstone block with everyone, or is there lost of items they're likely to accept?
You need to use the conversation thing with visitors, or if you can fly fast enough, ideally talk with people at that sect. It can be any item.

Basically get your friendliness up with someone, than go into the conversation menu part that loads the Secrets interface. Find the sect leader and ask about their favorites by clicking on the ? Button under their favorites heading. Random visitors will know random things. People of their sect should know the leaders favorite.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
For the first gift to establish relations, I just give a spirit stone. Nobody hates spirit stone.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sokani posted:

For the first gift to establish relations, I just give a spirit stone. Nobody hates spirit stone.

(even if they mock you for giving them one spirit stone)

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks all, for some reason I couldn't find that anywhere in the guides I was reading.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Played again after a few years. Nice to see how Goon hasn't nerfed so much. I'm surprised sleepy pens and mechanic traps haven't been.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Putting this down for later referencing.

How does the branch system & zones work?

Answer: Branches give two bonuses each. One for just being a member of a branch, and another for staying within the designated branch area.

The first one, for being a member, is semi-permanent. As long as you're a member of the branch, and within your sect map, you can keep these bonuses. As for the other one, once you move out of the branch zone, you'll gradually lose it.

Buffs from all branches:

Alchemy: Medicine level, Alchemy level, Perception(Member)/Concoction Yield, success rate, alchemy speed(Zone)
Requires a Ptimordial Alchemy law leader with high alchemy skill, and at PS stage.

Treasure refining: Artisan level, Refine level, Constitution / Refine speed, Refine success rate, treasure grade, refine quality.
Requires a Myriad Artifact law leader with high Refine level, and at PS stage.

Battle: Battle Level, Perception, Constitution, and other battle related factors / Health recovery, pain endurance.
Requires a leader with basic wood/sunflower earth/SSS/Basic metal/Emotion Serving law cultivator with high artifact control, spell and defense.

Practice: Qi sense, Intelligence / Mental state, cultivation speed, Inspiration gain, breakthrough success chance.
Requires a leader with Three sun fire/Emotion Serving law/16 supreme steps/Jade purity with high qi sense and maximum Intelligence, better to be at the demi-god stage.

Foreign Affairs: Social Level, Charisma, Luck, Adventure speed, Reputation gain, Adventure breakthrough speed / Overall work efficiency.
Requires a high social, artisan, maximum charisma, and PS stage cultivator.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Amuys posted:

Played again after a few years. Nice to see how Goon hasn't nerfed so much. I'm surprised sleepy pens and mechanic traps haven't been.

What level of cultivation is lovely Bill on?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a new chart on Qi Gathering Ranges on the discord, taken from a video on the FAQ channel.

edit: Here is the picture with whole numbers.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 16, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is a new chart on Qi Gathering Ranges on the discord, taken from a video on the FAQ channel.

:what:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

that not being symmetric should be illegal

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

WTF is that poo poo in the lower right corner. :argh:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm pretty sure it is symmetrical, it's just showing where the numbers come from before rounding up.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've started pretty-reliably training up cultivators with decent cores. My next goal are to figure out Shendao and Body cultivation. And send a small army of lesser folks to destinations until I find one I can get a Holy Stone from.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

That is the dorkiest loss edit I've ever seen

:golfclap:

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Elfface posted:

I've started pretty-reliably training up cultivators with decent cores. My next goal are to figure out Shendao and Body cultivation. And send a small army of lesser folks to destinations until I find one I can get a Holy Stone from.

Holy stone is a pain to get since it's just random chance around the Kunlun areas, thankfully it's not needed for much.

You can also steal 10 of it from Sunshade Abode, they're the easiest sect to steal from.

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 17, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The update just knocked out the English translations for items for me, luckily I've been playing long enough to recognise everything and I've unintentionally learned the Mandarin for Huge and Tree as a result.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Fast question, how important is it to deal with that big demon thing hogging the spirit water pond in the corner of my map? Is he gonna get aggressive? I tried letting Mysterious cultivator handle it and he got knocked the gently caress out.

Second question, will stealing all of MC's poo poo while he's sucking wind come back to bite me?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Caidin posted:

Fast question, how important is it to deal with that big demon thing hogging the spirit water pond in the corner of my map? Is he gonna get aggressive? I tried letting Mysterious cultivator handle it and he got knocked the gently caress out.

Eventually some mcguffin from the sky will fall down near him and your outers will get stuck in a loop of trying to retrieve it, getting attacked, trying to rescue who got attacked, etc. Take it out at the earliest convenience.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Anyone else having problems with crashes? First launch yesterday, crash. Second launch went without issues, and I played through all of the tutorials (getting more and more confused in the process, but in a good way), tried creating my first real game, and got a crash midway through the embark phase. Third launch just now, it got to step 13 or 14 of 5x and crashed.

edit: all 3 seem to be access violations; wonder if my antivirus is throwing a fit. Tried whitelisting it and will see if it crashes again.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 1, 2021

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I'm just getting Steam being weird about cloud saves when I move between my laptop and desktop.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It crashes but only rarely for me. Auto save frequency is high enough that I don’t mind too much

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I just started a new game on Canyon map, thinking about building a cool mountain sect, but wow this map type is completely scuffed. 70% of the map is mountains with dozens of tiny little acloves everywhere and mortal NPCs arriving on the map get stuck in them and, with no path to your base, just starve to death. Which means basically no recruiting, because all potential disciples are dying of starvation on the other side of the mountain. Infuriatingly, enemy raids actually do spawn properly in closest place to the edge of map that has unobstructed path to your base, so it's not like the game can't handle proper spawning of NPCs on the map, it just chooses not to, when it comes to beneficial NPCs.
Oh and incidentally, the place closest to northern edge of the map that has unobstructed path to my base happens to be my outer disciples barracks and all northern raids spawn it it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

So as a reminder, you do not actually need Shendao cultivators to deal with obsessions on your other cultivators. They are the only way to deal with them once they 'complete' but before an obsession hits 100%?

You can let it tick down by putting your cultivator on 'Mind' mode for a day or two, if they spend time on leisure activities then it reduces the obsession counter even for hedonism. Yes, somehow lounging around playing musical instruments and admiring birds reduces your accumulation of hedonism. I am not 100% sure what influences the rate at which it is reduced but am fairly sure it is based on the quality of recreation so I highly recommend making a very pretty room full of relaxation activities. I typically make this also my dining room so that people on time out hang out as much as possible thus building social skill.