Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Man so I had Poseidon special on my level 4 Demeter fists, and it turns out that the super special packs enough power to even send Hades flying across the screen! I knew you could actually knockback bosses a small amount with powerful enough hits (usually Poseidon call) but I've never seen that much.

I wonder how knockback scaling works though, it seems like different things have different knockback values (like sword special is really low) and then maybe it scales further based on damage? Or maybe it's just because applying 4 simultaneous specials adds all the knockbacks together and is enough to overcome Hades' resistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I just made it to Hades for the second time and got him to 2% (on his 2nd life). So frustrating yet stratifying at the same time. I burned him down to 50% on his 2nd life my first time (Chaos, Eris respectively). My major issue is Theseus and Asterius. I can only clear them without losing a DD with Doom Shield (Special had +250% or so base dmg), Divine Dash and on my 2% run I had Hyper Sprint which helped quite a bit I think. Any tips for good 'ol T&A? They're so much more difficult than Hades for me as in it took me 10+ encounters to beat them.

Additionally I just unlocked revealed Gu Yuan and can't decide on which hidden aspect to go after. I know one should stick to what's working but I'm still feeling out all the weapons and want to give each aspect a shot. I'm leaning towards Beowulf right now, but Excalibur and Lucifer seem interesting.. Really Gu Yuan does as well but I just see people making GBS threads on it. I'm having a hard time with Titan Blood at the moment so I need to be a bit more strategic with my unlocks.

Any tips?

edit: words

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 10, 2021

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Personally I thought Excalibur, Gilgamesh and Rama all were pretty fun to use. Beowulf just didn't really do it for me, and keeping the Lucifer beam locked on a target felt annoying to execute mechanically in practice.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mastering the improved bull rush with the naegling board made it click for me. Turns out to do bonus damage you want the bull rush distance to go precisely where the enemy is, and no farther. Then it will apply the stored casts.

Also although I agree that the igneous Eden's lockon feature can be annoying I still consider it a vast improvement over the normal adamant rail attacks. Vanilla adamant rail is by far my least favorite weapon, the only time I enjoy using it is with the hammer enhancer that increases damage 3* but makes it harmful to you, or the hammer enhancer that gives you unlimited bursts of 3 shots

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I read somewhere (this thread??? somewhere else???) that you can only get two Hammers per run. How does the RNG on where hammers show up work? Once you claim two can they still appear as useless rewards/items in the shop? Are you guaranteed to see at least two per run? If you see a Hammer in the shop should you buy it or just wait for one to show up for free later?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I dont think i've ever actually done a run with a zagreus aspect. I guess the fists one looks pretty good but I haven't really bothered to look at the others

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I like the zagreus bow aspect combined with Artemis, means almost half the time you're getting a crit

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

mancalamania posted:

I read somewhere (this thread??? somewhere else???) that you can only get two Hammers per run. How does the RNG on where hammers show up work? Once you claim two can they still appear as useless rewards/items in the shop? Are you guaranteed to see at least two per run? If you see a Hammer in the shop should you buy it or just wait for one to show up for free later?

I can't reliably answer this but one thing I have noticed is that if you walk past your second hammer you can still get offered hammers both in the rooms in styx, OR in charons shop in styx. Presumably these are both available at the same time on runs when you just didn't pick a single drat hammer the entire time. I dont think its actually a good strat but something about getting the anvil and then picking your 3rd hammer afterwards rules a lot. Anyway to answer your question I'm pretty sure the game dumps however many hammers you walk past in styx in places where you can't actually choose something else over them and you are guaranteed to see them randomly in room rewards that aren't external rewards (darkness/nectar etc) until you have 2. If you haven't seen or picked up the anvil, it essentially replaces a random hammer you already have with two random hammers allowing you to have three total

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 10, 2021

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It could be a fine strategy with a weapon that doesn't need a hammer to be good, like the Excalibur. I feel like none of the hammer improvements really do much for it, though the expanded aura is nice

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

yeah thats a good idea. I'm actually on an excalibur run right now and its annoying how not great the hammers are. None of them are bad, I actually really like picking the charons coin one to help beat the poo poo out of King and Cow faster but there's not a single hammer that losing it on the anvil would break my run usually

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm at like 80 runs and I still haven't seen the flame wheel contract, and it seems to think I've never bought touch of Styx even though I know I have.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Somberbrero posted:

I'm at like 80 runs and I still haven't seen the flame wheel contract, and it seems to think I've never bought touch of Styx even though I know I have.

There are different items (touch/kiss of Styx) depending whether you have Stubborn Defiance or Death Defiance, are you sure you've bought both?

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

mancalamania posted:

RNG, kind of.

IIRC a single hammer reward will spawn in Tartarus or Asphodel. If you skip a hammer room it's possible but not guaranteed you'll get offered another. You'll always get one hammer encounter in Elysium. Keeping in mind that taking a Chaos gate can skip a potential hammer room. I think you only skip one room while in Chaos so you should see the rewards before choosing to go into the Chaos Gate. Someone else will need to confirm/deny that though. I'm not sure if you get another chance in Elysium though, it seems to be a one time thing but I've never skipped one on that stage.

and of course you can do the -1 +2 anvil when you enter Styx.

I'm on run 95 or something and I don't think I've had a hammer spawn immediately in Tartarus since run 50 or so, but prior to that it was almost every other run. I'm assuming it's total RNG and the chance of getting a hammer when entering Tartarus drops dramatically when you begin to equip Olympian Keepsakes but that's just a guess. The immediate hammer spawn is ideal as you can start shaping your build from the first encounter.

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 11, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nah I've definitely had a decent amount of immediate hammers even with keepsakes on. I also like it when they drop early.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever been able to make Dionysus work with the spear? The spear just feels overall too slow with any of its moves to make Hangover work outside of the generic Festive Fog/Call options.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever been able to make Dionysus work with the spear? The spear just feels overall too slow with any of its moves to make Hangover work outside of the generic Festive Fog/Call options.

On a related note, what Gods that are meta with each weapon? All I really know is Zeus with the Rail and Ares with the Aegis.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Somberbrero posted:

You can use the boon reroll dice on shopping wells if you really want the contact for the prophecy. Also, you use the boon reroll die on a well after purchasing some of its items to restock it. Very handy if you're near the end of a run with extra money to burn

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Holy hell 122 hours in and I just find out there’s such a thing as a ‘Perfect Catch’ that is something like 30ms after the flash?! No wonder I still have 4 undiscovered fish but everything else in the codex is done.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TraderStav posted:

Holy hell 122 hours in and I just find out there’s such a thing as a ‘Perfect Catch’ that is something like 30ms after the flash?! No wonder I still have 4 undiscovered fish but everything else in the codex is done.

Yeah I only learned about this when I saw the AGDQ run lol

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

yeah thats a good idea. I'm actually on an excalibur run right now and its annoying how not great the hammers are. None of them are bad, I actually really like picking the charons coin one to help beat the poo poo out of King and Cow faster but there's not a single hammer that losing it on the anvil would break my run usually
There are two things to consider
a. will losing this break my run?
b. will getting this break my run?

If you take an anvil in Styx with Excalibur there's a 22% chance you get Cursed Blade.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I only learned about this when I saw the AGDQ run lol

Got a link? I have heard of it but haven't seen it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

TraderStav posted:

Got a link? I have heard of it but haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhyaDZqV1L0

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you take an anvil in Styx with Excalibur there's a 22% chance you get Cursed Blade.

I was going to say "can't get cursed slash off the anvil if you already took it off your first hammer" but then I remembered my last run where I picked it I had the trap damage up to full and I got one hit 3 times in a row in a random styx room by a dropping blade lol

I actually do like cursed slash a lot though, just because the sustain it offers is REALLY good for getting through elysium at full health. I also dont know if dropping it with the anvil gives you your HP back or not because it because that seems bad. Anyway I like it. Just don't do anything to significantly increase damage sources with your heat when you're playing it and its pretty drat good imo.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I was going to say "can't get cursed slash off the anvil if you already took it off your first hammer" but then I remembered my last run where I picked it I had the trap damage up to full and I got one hit 3 times in a row in a random styx room by a dropping blade lol

I actually do like cursed slash a lot though, just because the sustain it offers is REALLY good for getting through elysium at full health. I also dont know if dropping it with the anvil gives you your HP back or not because it because that seems bad. Anyway I like it. Just don't do anything to significantly increase damage sources with your heat when you're playing it and its pretty drat good imo.
Cursed Slash is good but it's absolutely not what I want on slow-rear end Excalibur.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

That makes a lot of sense tbh I just don't play with any other aspects of blade because I am desperately in love with the magic aura effect

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is there a better way of making certain gods show up for boons? Besides Keepsakes, which only seem to help once each level of Hades?

After getting the fuckin' dope Poseidon/Zeus dash murder combo early on in my playthroughs, I've been unable to recreate that magic because they don't show up enough. Which is a shame cause I'd love to try it again now that I have a better handle on the game than before.

I also wanted to create an Aphrodite/Artemis Weak Attack -> Crit Special Demeter setup but while Artemis showed up a lot, Aphrodite was not very willing to appear.

Game's still pretty fun and hours will fly by when I play, and it's funny how I'll end up getting far with builds I never expected to do well. Like my Caster Sword build where I just spammed Artemis with 4 Ammo (thanks Chaos) and Hermes boons that increased Cast Time and had my Ammo instant make their way back to me. I only wish I had her Duo with Poseidon to make it even more projectile spammy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

TraderStav posted:

what the gently caress

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I didn't find that out until like 100 hours in because I wasn't even trying to catch quick

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Is there a better way of making certain gods show up for boons? Besides Keepsakes, which only seem to help once each level of Hades?

You can use the mirror trait for +10% to duos/legendaries but rare stuff is supposed to be rare instead of something you can force. It's a valid use of keepsake swapping to start Tartarus with one, swap in Asphodel to force the other, then hope it happens over the run with room for two better keepsakes for the second half of the run.

Also make sure you're aware of the prerequisites and that some boon paths or combos are just going to be painfully rare. It took me a very long time to get Poseidon's last boon because I had to RNG Poseidon(OK, force it with keepsake), RNG that Poseidon offers his Call, RNG that he offers the boon to enhance his call. A 2 or 3 step dice roll can really lower your chances.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 11, 2021

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah I do the swapping. Start with one god, swap to another, swap to Hypnos for extra gold, and then swap to Skelly for the extra revive.

Though now that I have Persephone's keepsake I'm just relying on that at the moment.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

what the gently caress
yes there are three tiers of fish

quote:

The sooner the Interact button is pressed, the higher rarity the fish will be. The time window of fishing is:

Less than 0.34 second: Perfect catch. Guaranteed to catch a Rare fish. 1/21 (≈ 4.76%) chance to catch a Legendary fish. (Likely due to a bug, the chance to catch a Legendary fish is actually 1/2, or 50%, much higher than the intended 1/21.)
0.34 second to 0.68 second: Catch. 1/21 chance to catch a Rare fish. (Similarly to above, likely due to a bug, the chance to catch a Rare fish is actually 1/2, or 50%.)
After 0.68 second: fail with a "Too Late" message.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I knew that fish had different levels of rarity but I had no idea about this Perfect Catch system. Even though I just checked and, sure enough, it says “PERFECT CATCH!” in huge letters when you do it right.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just had my first run in a couple months. I was hoping for a Rocket Gun run, and I got it, but I ended up relying on calls instead, something I've always neglected in the past:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Early on, should I just be rolling with whatever weapon has the 20% Darkness bonus each time in order to build up Mirror bonuses more quickly?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, Lightning Rod is so weirdly strong. Like, most of the time I get it, it effectively replaces my cast entirely because I no longer want to shoot my bloodstones into enemies, I want to let them sit around and passively zap everything within a mile radius until it dies. I usually hate Crush Shot, because it has pathetic range without the damage to make up for it, but it turns out it's the ideal Lightning Rod cast, because it lets me plant my bloodstone wherever I want without needing to worry about hitting enemies or firing into walls. :shrug:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

96 spacejam posted:

Theseus and asterius

Their fight feels like it should be really fast paced but it isn't. All of their damage is telegraphed. Focus more on not getting hit and don't take risks to get in an extra hit or whatever. Decide which of them causes you more problems and focus on killing them first and just avoid the other. Personally I find asterius worse than Theseus so I kill him immediately. If asterius is your big problem, remember that though his big swings hit a huge arc they do not hit directly behind him so you can just dodge through him safely. When he starts to chase you lure him to a pillar and then dodge through it so he runs into it.

If Theseus is harder for you, learn to bait his spear throw and take advantage of the fact that he turns around after he calls it back. Also when he stops to call the god halfway through you have a couple of seconds after his shield drops before the god attacks come out when you can really beat on him without retaliation.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

C-Euro posted:

Early on, should I just be rolling with whatever weapon has the 20% Darkness bonus each time in order to build up Mirror bonuses more quickly?

If you're yet to do a full run to the end then yeah, and it's a good way to get to grips with all the different weapons and mix things up.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
This sounds silly, but I want Zagreus in Super Smash Bros. Not just to have a pure indie rep in the game (Steve kinda surpassed indie), but just for the fighter, but for the fact that the Hades stage would most likely have interactions with characters kinda like what they do with Kid Icarus heroes.

Hypnos: Oh wow! This Mario fella looks to have died MANY times....and many ways! Goombas, Koopas, bottomless pits, fire, you name it! Despite that, he always comes back to save the day!
Hades: WHAT?! How can this stout little man escape our grasp so easily?! I have no record of this!
Hyponos: Hmm....says here he does this by collecting......"green 1-UP mushrooms". Strange.
Hades: Indeed. Make note that these death defying mushrooms will not be allowed in my kingdom.

Theseus: Behold, Asterius! This grand battle in front of us is grand as it can be because involves one of the greatest warriors! The noble Luigi!
Asterius: My King, I think you are mistaken. The hero you are thinking of is Ma-
Theseus: Make no mistake, my friend. This mustachioed man is indeed a hero worthy of Elysium! Wandered many lands, a merciless constant in many chariot races, and never forget his great exorcism of undead forces in tainted temples!
Asterius: While those are true, many people see him as a side-
Thesus: Yes! People DO step aside when they are within his presence! Truly the only man worthy of being my equal!
Asterius: .....whatever you say, king.

Other interaction include:

Demeter and Persephone looking at Piranha Plant and going what the gently caress
The two fury sister holding back Tisiphone while she screams "MURDERER!" at Sephiroth
Ares swooning over Snake, Hermes swooning over Sonic
Aphrodite ponder over Mario and Bowser's love for Peach
Artemis astounded by pokemon and the other animal fighters

Look, I just want more Hades stuff, okay?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Barry Shitpeas posted:

There are different items (touch/kiss of Styx) depending whether you have Stubborn Defiance or Death Defiance, are you sure you've bought both?

I did not realize there are a second set of mirror talents. Whoops.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TraderStav posted:

the undiscovered fish are probably from chaos' realm

i never got a single spawn there after nearly 100 hours of play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Oxxidation posted:

the undiscovered fish are probably from chaos' realm

i never got a single spawn there after nearly 100 hours of play

I walked by two on accident and I'll never get over it.